Snapshot #14 Fight or Flight

Snapshots Of A Small Town

A/N: I had this on my unfinished drafts and I just literally forced myself to finish it because I do love this AU so much

Enjoy!

---------------------

“You know, there is this amazing invention called the dishwasher.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. “Yeah. It's called ‘me.’” She said holding onto a soapy glass and pointing at herself. “Been doing it since I was, what? Mia’s age? And besides, helps me think.”

 

“All right so besides having a wedding to plan, what’s going on in that head?”

 

Chaeyoung sighs and turns off the water. “The album, the producer…”

 

Monday morning and Jennie was still in her pjs, serving herself some coffee, when suddenly she felt a pair of arms wrapping around her, and lips pressing against her cheek, making her smile and her heart skip a beat.

 

“Morning.”

 

“Hi.” She answered back pulling her fiance’s arms tighter around her, “So I heard from the church… and we have a date!” She said excitedly, turning around to look at the blonde. “I marked it on the calendar.”

 

“Wow.” Chaeyoung said, pulling away. “That’s--That’s great.” She said looking for her cup to get some coffee as well.

 

Jennie frowned. “Is that okay?” She asked turning around to fully look at the taller girl. “Do you still want to get married with me?” She asked teasingly, slipping one side of her robe down, exposing her shoulder and part of her cleavage to her girl as she stepped closer to her. She smiled triumphantly when Chaeyoung’s eyes travelled down.

 

Chaeyoung her lips, and pulled Jennie closer by the waist. “Yes. Right here, right now.”

 

“Then what?” Jennie whispered against her lips.

 

The blonde sighed. “Well you know I have to take the trip to New York to go to the recording meeting?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Well, it’s just…” The blonde released a breath. “I haven’t exactly told Hyeri about us… or the wedding.”

 

“Rosie…”

 

“I know, I should’ve told her, since we are working on the album together but… that’s just not something I can do over the phone.”

 

“Irene and I have met with five different producers. Turned them all down. Tomorrow we’re meeting with the sixth.” Chaeyoung explains. “And oh, yeah. Her boss is coming to town tomorrow, apparently she’s not happy with how selective we’ve been. And by ‘we’ I mean me and Cait.”

 

Jennie nods. “Well, then, maybe producer number six will be the one you’ve been waiting for.”

 

Truthfully, she could just ask Jennie, or Irene to help with the album, but number one, they were not signed to work with the label and that would required a bunch of paperwork, number two, Jennie had a wedding to plan, well both of them did, but Chaeyoung was giving Jennie the lead on this one, and three working on this project would mean having close contact with Hyeri and that’s something she wanted to avoid at all cost.

 

Jennie, had her suspicions as to why she was not asked for help, she had her opinions as well, but she said nothing, this was a battle she did not want to get involved with. So she just let Chaeyoung handle things as she wished, and kept her opinions to herself, like how she thought how immature was that Hyeri removed herself from producing the songs after hearing about the wedding, only getting involved every once in a while to hear the final product of the songs, but hey… who is she to judge right?

 

“Well, they say he is a.... visionary.”

 

“That’s a good thing right?”

 

“Well, yeah. Unless his vision is different than ours.”

 

Jennie closes her magazine and takes a zip of her coffee. “Honey, at this rate I don’t think you´ll have a producer for the album or a job for that matter.”

 

Chaeyoung deflates on her chair. “I know.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

“There you are!”

 

Jennie had been looking for Jisoo for a few days but she had been unable to as she had some meetings with her mother and her company...or excompany?

 

“Rosie and I have set a date, so I have a really big favor to ask.”

 

Jisoo looked up from the paperwork she was reading behind the counter. “Okay.” She said, looking back down.” If it’s about money it’s probably not the best time.”

 

“Oh stop it!” Jennie chuckled. “I need a dress! And if it helps I promise to pay full price.” She suggested. “Is my best friend down?”

 

Jisoo sighed and looked up. “Sure. Do you want the Lee Hyeri tear away train? It’s what all the runaway brides are gonna be wearing this season.”

 

Jennie blinked. “So not funny.” She deadpanned. “No, I was thinking something non-traditional, you know? Simple but stylish, fashionable.”

 

Jisoo nodded. “Swanky. I can do that.”

 

The brunette frowned and gasped. “Okay, who peed in your cheerios?”

 

Jisoo sighed and set the papers aside taking off her glasses. “I just had a thing with my mom.” She explained. “Sorry I really didn’t mean to take it out on you. For the record it is very nice to see you happy.” She said this time paying full attention to the bride to be, bad attitude all gone.

 

“Thank you.” Jennie said happily. “Everything is going really good you know? It just feels right with Rosie and the label’s taking off…”

 

“But…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I know that look, Jendukie.” Jisoo said, crossing her arms.

 

“What look?”

 

“The frownie emo look you got going on.”

 

“Frownie emo look?”

 

“Out with it, Jennifer!”

 

Jennie gasped. “It’s Jennie first of all, second of all I do not have a frownie emo look.” She tried defending herself but rolled her eyes at Jisoo’s all knowing look. “But if you really must know, Chaeyoung has no co-producer since Hyeri all but jumped shipped after the wedding announcement and she has talked to six, SIX, producers and no one fits her needs and I’m just wondering why she hasn’t asked me!” Jennie finished and took a deep breath after her ramble.

 

Jisoo raises a brow looking at her with a knowing look.

 

“Damn it.”

 

The older brunette smiled. “You forget I’ve known you and Chaeyoungie for years, Jendukie, I know all about you.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Okay, so let’s get you to the backroom.” She said taking Jennie by the hand and leading her to the backroom making her stand on the wooden platform she had to take her measurements. “So, you are frustrated because Chaeyoungie is not choosing you?”

“Yes.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because…”

 

“No, why do you think she’s not asking you?”

 

“Ah... well part of me thinks it’s because even if Hyeri jumped ship she will be involved somehow and maybe Chaeyoung wants to keep us away from each other, both to keep peace in the studio and to not shove our relationship in front of her?”

 

“And…”

 

“And...maybe she wants to keep our work life separate? Like maybe she wants to avoid having conflict between us?”

 

Jisoo sighed dramatically as she shook her head. “Oh, Jendukie…”

 

“What?” Jennie frowned.

 

Jisoo looked up holding the measuring tape in place as she spoke. “Do you really think that’s it? Don’t you think maybe just maybe is because there are certains songs that could bring memories of a certain topic that a certain couple has neglected to talk about?”

 

“Nooo…” Jennie said slowly.

 

Jisoo looked at her with a raised brow.

 

“Fine.” Jennie admitted. “Yes, it has crossed my mind but…”

 

“But what? DOn’t you think it’s a big deal?” Jisoo said writing down the measurements.

 

“Well it’s not right?” Jennie asked. “It shouldn’t be…”

 

Jisoo sighed. “Jen, you went from crying over her to marrying her and choosing to have her babies in the span of like two nights and she went from being engaged to brooding to marrying you and giving you her babies in the span of two nights…”

 

“I…”

 

“...and that’s fine. You guys are the literal definition of fated, it makes sense, buuut I do think that a certain topic needs to be discussed because neither of you have actually talked, like literally sit down and talk, about that particular moment in your lives…”

 

“Bu…”

 

“...and yes I know you see no point to it as it has already passed or whatever but I know for a fact you both have to say about that and if you ask me you should guys should probably talk about it in order to move forward with a clean slate you know?”

 

Jennie blinked having given up on speaking her mind of saying anything for that matter. Her best friend was right they needed to talk about, to leave things out in the open, to have a proper fresh start without anything hanging over them.

 

“So now the question is…” Jisoo said, walking to her shelf where she had several books of fabric samples. “How do you feel about it?”

 

Jennie sighs and walks over to her. “I… guess, I am a bit worried of what that might bring up, what memories…” She said shaking her head at the sample Jisoo showed her. “I know we have to talk about it, I see certain things Chaeyoung does that makes me feel she is still waiting for me to up and run...which I’m not!” She clarified quickly at the look Jisoo gave her.

 

“I’m not, I’m not planning to, ever.” She said again, nodding at the next sample. “I guess you are right we should totally talk about it.”

 

--------------------------

 

“Are you making pancakes?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I want some pancakes… bruh…”

 

Lisa looks over the counter to look at Chaeyoung who was kneeled down in a very princess movie like manner with a black velvet box open, her arms extended to the side with a big fake smile.

 

“Lalisa Manoban, will you marry me?”

 

“Bro… no.” Lisa said as she looked down to flip her pancakes. “Also that is so creepy on so many levels.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckled and shrugged. “Well that’s how the last producer I spoke to pictured my proposal to Jennie.”

 

“Last producer huh?” Lisa shook her head and pours some more batter on the pan. “I take it it did not went well with Hyeri.”

 

“Nope…” Chaeyoung said. “Not well at all…”

 

“All that’s left to discuss is the schedule. We want you guys to start strang so we start on the 24th, studio is booked for the fulled day and…”

Chaeyoung perk up looking at the calendar. “Next 24… excuse me.” She said. “I have a problem with that weekend.”

 

The man smiled with a frown. “The schedule’s pretty firm at this point.”

 

“Yeah I’m sorry…” She said firmly, looking at the man then at Hyeri. “I can’t.”

 

Hyeri sighed. “Chaeyoung the studio is booked already, any change is gonna cost a lot of money.”

 

The blonde sighed. “I know, I understand but I need to change it okay?”

 

Hyeri stared at her and Chaeyoung could see she was frustrated because the blonde was not giving up and not giving any reasons. “Chae can I see you in my office for a second?”

 

The two walked to the adjacent room and sat down, Chaeyoung was nervous as she knew she was about to deliver the bad news.

 

“Chaeyoung what are you doing?” Hyeri asked, crossing her arms. “Everything is booked, we already delayed this as much as we could and I covered for you while you were struggling to come up with something.”

 

“I appreciate it.”

 

Hyeri sighed frustrated that she was getting nothing from the blonde. “What could possibly be more important than this?” She asked, raising her voice a bit.

 

“My wedding…” Chaeyoung, snapped, releasing a breath at the look on Hyeri’s face. “It’s Jennie… We’re getting married. And that’s why I can’t do those dates.”

 

There was a moment of silence and Chaeyoung could see all kinds of emotions passing through the producer’s face.

 

“I see.” Hyeri said coldly.

 

“I wanted to tell you, but…”

 

“Then why didn’t you?”

 

“I just…” didn’t want to hurt you? That sounded wrong, cliche, and stupid considering their broken engaement, but it was the truth.

 

Hyeri took a deep breath as if she was pushing her emotion to the back of her mind. “I’ll talk to them about the dates.”

 

“Hyeri.”

 

The woman chuckled coldly. “I guess I was right all along about you and Jennie but I wish you could have done this over the phone.”

 

“Damn.”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Did you guys talk about it after that?” Lisa asked. “Or was it just business?”

 

Chaeyoung sighed “We did talk and it was the wedding all over again, she said she had hopes of us getting back together, that she had started believing in me and that she hoped the recording process would serve as a way for us to start again.”

 

“Ouch.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“And then?”

 

“And then she gave me this…”

 

Chaeyoung and Hyeri had been sitting in the bar counter for hours, having talked it out or mostly Hyeri did, Chaeyoung was just listening and taking everything Hyeri had to say, she deserved that at least.

 

“I never meant to hurt you. Not then and not now.” Chaeyoung tells her, hoping Hyeri could see she was being honest.

 

The brunette smiled sadly. “I know.” She said then looked up briefly. “The thing is I saw it coming all along. I just tried to wish it away. I wasn’t fair to me or to you.” She said then paused to take a sip of her drink. “The dates will be changed.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded. “Thank you.”

 

After that no other word was said and taking the hing Chaeyoung stood up and left some cash to pay for the bill.

 

“Well I should go. I’m gonna miss my flight.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded. “Alright.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” Hyeri called out, stopping Chaeyoung from walking away. “You forgot something.” The brunette slided a small red velvet box toward the blonde.

 

Chaeyoung looked at it, knowing exactly what it was. “Hyeri…”

 

“It’s okay.” Hyeri tells her with a smile, an honest one. “You know the first time we met right here, I told you I was pulling for the couple in the songs. I still am.”

 

“I… thank you.”

 

“Goodbye, Chaeyoung.”

 

“I see.” Lisa said. “So is that why you have that other ring?” She asked nodding at the second box Chaeyoung was holding.”

 

“Yeah. Do you think Jennie will like it?”

 

Lisa lowered the heat and placed her spatula aside, taking the box. “Oh wow… I don’t know, Chipmunk. Girls usually hate getting big diamonds.” She joked, then looked at their friend. “I think she’ll love it.”

 

“But?”

 

“But when we met you always talked about your grandmother’s ring, so I don’t know…” She shrugged. “I always pictured you giving her Claire’s ring. It meant so much to you.”

 

The blonde sighed and nodded. “The truth is, I always hoped she’d wear that ring too.”

 

Lisa frowned. “So why did you buy this one.”

 

“Well, because I gave grandma’s ring to Hyeri.”

 

“Ah.” Lisa nodded and went back to her pancakes. “She gave it back to you.”

 

“Yeah. I just wasn’t sure if she’d want it after that.” Chaeyoung said, sitting down. at the breakfast bar. “So I figured, you know, couldn’t go wrong with a new ring.” She said looking at the stack of pancakes building up on Lisa’s plate.

 

The thai girl laughed. “You want some pancakes now, don’t ya?”

 

“Yeeees..”

 

--------------------------------

 

“Hey pretty girl.”

 

“Hi, baby.”

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“In the studio working on some paperwork. And you, did you see the producer?”

 

Chaeyoung sighed as she got out of her car. “Yes.”

“And?”

 

“It was a disaster.” She said. “Every producer that has been sent our way is just...stupid.”

 

“Stupid?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Well, baby, can’t you just talk to Hyeri? See if maybe she can reconsider?”

 

“Believe it or not I tried. She said no.” Chaeyoung said. “So now we have to think about which out of the six options we have will screw the album the least.”

 

“Well, whatever you decide to do is the right thing as far as I’m concerned.

 

Chaeyoung smiled. “Thanks, babe.”

 

“I gotta get going.”

 

“All right, me too, call me when you are home, and be carefull, all right?”

 

“I will. Hey. I sort of like you, you know that?”

 

The blonde smiled. “Well, thank you. I’m kind of warming up to you, too. It’s a good thing, since we’re getting married.”

 

“Alright you goof, gotta go. Bye.”

 

Chaeyoung puts her phone away and walks inside Jisoo’s former store where she see’s Jisoo is working on a dress along with her assistant, Wendy.

 

“It’s really good, Jisoo.” Wendy standing next to the brunette. “She’s gonna love it when it’s done.”

 

Jisoo, sighs. “Yeah, well, I hope so, considering we have nothing else to sell. How could I have signed my company over to that…”

 

“?”

 

The brunette shook her head. “That’s too nice…” She sighed. “Wendy, what are we gonna do with this place?”

 

“I may have an idea.”

 

Jisoo turned around and walked out of her office, closing the door behind her. Yes, she had just started the design but the less Chaeyoung knew the better.

 

“I will take one unfinished wedding dress.” Chaeyoung joked. “That’s all I want, and I’ll pay top dollar for it.”

 

Jisoo smiled teasingly. “Well, I’ll pay top dollar for one song off of an unrecorded album.”

 

Chaeyoung pouted. “I don’t like this game anymore.”

 

“Mm, I feel you.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. “So what’s going on with baby Chu?”

 

“Her mom’s lawyers say she owns the company.” This time it was Wendy who spoke out as she walked out of the office. “Jisoo’s lawyers say her mom’s lawyers can baby Chu themselves.”

 

Chu themselves a running joke in her group of friends, running way back since high school, they had gone to a retreat in the mountains with a couple of friends, this was when Jisoo and Chaeyoung were dating, the blonde had written a very provocative text to the girl while she was out skying and Jisoo in turn had retired to her room to take care of the situation and unfortunately she was caught well… ‘Chuing’ herself leaving Seulgi scared for the rest of her life.

 

“Have you thought about starting a new line, Chu?” Chaeyoung suggested. “You’ve done it before. You can do it again.”

 

“I appreciate the vote of confidence, Pasta, but I’m just not feeling inspired lately. And you, you have a producer already?”

 

Now it was Chaeyoung’s turn to sigh. “Oh, well the producer I met today wanted us to move the recording to a junkyard.”

 

“Sounds gritty?”

 

“Oh, and he also wanted to change the entire thing into a trap album.”

 

“Huh…” Jisoo chuckled. “Chae, you don’t have to compromise, not if you don’t want to. The worst thing that could happen is for this album to fail because they went with someone else’s vision.”

 

“What do I do, Chu?”

 

“Do whatever it takes. Just make sure they tell the story the way you envision it.”

 

--------------------------

Two Days Later

 

Jennie makes it home before Chaeyoung does. Being too lazy to cook dinner she orders some chinese for the both of them and then proceeds to lay on the couch as she played some relaxing music while she waited for her fiance to come home thinking of how to start the conversation.

 

What if it's you

And what if it's me

And what if that's all that we need it to be

 

The music plays and she softly sings along her arm extended in front of her looking at the ring on her finger. Now don’t get her wrong she loves the ring, but she always pictured herself wearing Claire’s ring.

 

Never thought there'd be someone like you who would want me

So I give you ten thousand reasons to not let me go

 

The front door opens and she hears the sound of Chaeyoung removing her coat and boots, keys being thrown somewhere on the table and next thing Jennie knows there is a warm body plopping right on top of her. A blonde head resting on her tummy and a sigh is heard as the brunette weaves her fingers in between her hair.

 

“Hey, baby.”

 

“Hey.”

 

Jennie looks down and see’s Chaeyoung burying her face deeper into her tummy relaxing as she caresses her hair softly.

 

Chaeyoung sighs.

 

“That was a deep breath.” Jennie mentions.

 

“Something everybody does.”

 

“No, no.” Jennie said. “That was like a long deep quiet sigh and you only make those when you are worried about something.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs again.

 

“What’s wrong, baby?”

 

“Ineedyourhelp.” The blonde mumbles.

 

“What?”

 

Chaeyoung sighs for the third time and lifts her head up. “I need your help.”

 

“Ookay..for what?”

 

The blonde sits ups and runs her hand through her hair, it was probably not the right time but Chaeyoung looked extra y with white button up shirts and loose hair, her appeal just going up the roof when she that with her hair and wow, Jennie really was smitten.

“I can’t find a producer that understands.” Chaeyoung admitted getting up from the couch and starting to pace around their living room. “And normally that would be okay, but these songs are unique, they tell a story and these people... they…” The blonde shook her head exhaling. “They don’t understand that feeling I get the moment my hands touch the piano keys, they don’t understand how one song can change your entire mood or that there can be multiple sides of a person and all of them are amazing, they just don’t get it.” She said frustrated and then stopped her pacing. “But you do.” She said pointing at Jennie. “Is one of the reasons I love you.”

 

Jennie smiles softly.

 

“So there you have it, I need your help.”

 

Jennie keeps smiling and nods. “Of course I’ll…”

 

“Before you accept..” Chaeyoung stopped her with a raised finger. “You need to know that there are songs about a certain time in our lives…” She paused. “...Of which we haven’t really talked about.”

 

The brunette nodded, always trusting Chaeyoungie to make the first move. “Ah… right, that.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Jennie looked at Chaeyoung and she could tell she was nervous, she was fidgeting with her hands and biting her lips, guess she was not the only one that had been worrying about this.

 

The brunette stands up and takes Chaeyoung’s hand leading her to their home office and sitting them down on the couch.

 

“Play the demos.”

 

“What?”

 

Jennie nodded “Play the demos, we can start from there.”

 

“A..are you sure?”

 

“Rosie.” Jennie tells her. “This talk has been a long time coming and if we are going to be working together and most likely dealing with your ex fiance we need to clear things out.”

 

The blonde took a deep breath and exhaled. “I guess you are right.”

 

Big sky, small hands

I've got no plans

I've been holding on to the glass

So hard that it could break

To ice the ache

 

 

“I guess I’ll start.” Said Chaeyoung with a quick smile. She took a deep breath while Jennie reached out to hold her hand in support. “When you left to LA, I didn’t realize how hard it would be, I just missed you so much and I felt like I lost a part of myself and…” She paused. “You were gone.”

 

Big sky, sad eyes

Mirrors in mind

Secrets leaking out of my lips

'Cause you got that kind of energy

Like a 70s movie, Downtown, Background

 

“And in more ways than one we barely spoke. I’d sent you a text and you wouldn’t answer, we would be talking on the phone or facetime and your roommate was always there and…”

 

“You started to assume the worse.” Jennie said, finishing for her. She was angry or anything, she was simply stating a fact. if she was in Chaeyoung’s shoes she probably would’ve thought the same.

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung said quietly. “I was really messed up while you were gone.”

 

“Then why didn’t you talk to me?” Jennie asked gently.

 

Give me somewhere to go

Give me someone to be

If you're not busy

Do you wanna orbit me

 

“Because when I spoke to you on live you looked like you were having the time of your life, and I felt like I didn’t matter anymore.”

 

Jennie shook her head. Because that was not it all, she never stopped caring, she never stopped loving her. She knows now the way they handled things was incredibly wrong and she has to accept the part she played in their undoing.

 

“I felt that the life that we had built together, that we were planning to have just wasn’t big enough for you.” Chaeyoung continued, feeling lighter the more she talked.

 

“I know.” Jennie answered. “You mentioned that at Irene’s wedding.” That conversation was yet another unfinished one filled with false promises and unsaid feelings. “But… I mean why didn’t you talk to me after that I thought we promised no more secrets between us.”

 

“I tried.” Chaeyoung shrugged. “I did, but then every time I called you weren’t alone, or there was a cancellation, or… I don’t know, I guess I didn’t want to bring down the happiness I could see in you.”

 

“Rosie…”

 

“And then I started having problems with my heart again and I couldn’t even go out running in the mornings like I used to, I was still figuring out who the I was and… “ She runs her hand through her hair as she exhaled. “Jisoo was gone, Irene and Seulgi were just starting their lives together and I did something stupid and thoughtless out of insecurity and fear.”

 

Jennie says nothing, because she knows what it is and the thing is she knows it’s not that Chaeyoung didn’t want to marry her back then, she did, but she chose to propose for the wrong reasons, it wasn’t out of love of excitement about starting their future together, it was out fear and selfishness.

 

She needed an anchor, something to remind her that she still got something going on for her, and so when Jennie said no it was losing the last piece of hope that she had. Like she really did lose a part of her, her anchor, her heart.


 

If you're not busy

Do you wanna orbit me

If you're not busy (orbiting)

without gravity

 

“It wasn’t stupid.”

 

Chaeyoung shoots her a look.

 

“Okay maybe it was a little bit stupid.” Jennie teases. She then takes a deep breath as she knows this time it was her turn. “When I left to LA… I have to admit it felt good, because it was like getting a fresh start.” She started. “You see I had seen Riverfall as nothing but the place where I lost my mother, where I lost Jisoo, you, then Jisoo, then you again…” She joked with a quick chuckle. “I saw it as an escape.”

 

Hold on to

What you believe in

If I can't figure it out

If I can't turn it around

If I can't change

 

Jennie shook her head. “That came out wrong.” She said after looking at Chaeyoung face, knowing how the other girl must’ve taken her words. “What I mean is that I didn’t see it as a home, but me looking to run away was never about you and I need you to understand that.”

 

She paused as if making sure Chaeyoung does in fact understand, because she needs her to understand everything that happened back then was not because of her, it was all Jennie.

 

“Yes you didn’t talk to me, but I could’ve done more, I could’ve made more an effort, specially after the wedding and I didn’t” Jennie admitted. “I got so happy and blinded by the dreamlike city that LA seemed to be that I completely forgot the place that I called home, I thought I didn’t need it anymore…”

 

“I noticed.” Chaeyoung said. “When I spoke about you moving back… your face said it all.”

 

Smoke on my mirror

Clouds in my head

I get caught up in the words

I should've said

I know I hurt you

And I don't know why

When you're the one to clear my mind

 

“I was at my highest when you proposed and so I saw it as if the world wanted me to choose between you and LA and I hated it, I hated it because I couldn’t choose, because the truth is I didn’t think I could have both, and then I knew there was more to the proposal than just love, I knew that Rosie…” Jennie admitted softly, watching as how the blonde looked down.

 

“I did say it was stupid.”

 

Jennie chuckled. “And I already said you were right.” She joked back. “I mean, Rosie, back then you knew we were barely talking and you didn’t believe we were strong enough to make it for a few more months before christmas, how was I supposed to believe we would make it through a marriage.” She reasoned, she saw Chaeyoung nodding.

 

And Chaeyoung did know that. At least she does now.

 

“I…” Jennie sighed. “I know I went about it all wrong, I mean what kind of answer is ‘Someday’.”

 

“A truthful one, I think.”

 

Jennie smiled softly. “Except it wasn’t truthful, because back then I didn’t know if I’d ever be ready.”

 

Clouds in my head

I get caught up in the words that I should've said

I know I hurt you

And I don't know why

When you're the one to clear my mind

 

“I came back for you.” Jennie said next. “I did. It wasn’t about missing home or helping Jisoo, it was all about you.” She admitted. “When you left it felt was though someone had the lights and made me see the dream like life I was having was not a dream at all, was not permanent, and I realized I was just playing a game.”

 

“You were pretending.” Chaeyoung said, already understanding Jennie’s side of the story.

 

“Pretending.” Jennie nodded. “I came back looking for what I once called home, or rather who I once called home, only to find out said person had gotten somebody else.” Jennie said lightly, booping Chaeyoung in the nose playfully.

 

“I’m sorry about that.” Chaeyoung said sheepishly. “I really am.” She said again, this time seriously. “I gave up on us, I got someone else and like you I was pretending that everything was okay when it wasn’t.”

 

“No.” Jennie replied. “Don’t apologize.”

 

“I have to.”

 

“Okay, Chaeyoung.” Jennie said, looking at the girl straight in the eyes. “ I didn’t say ‘yes’, no matter how you like to paint it i ‘no.’” She said.

 

“You sai…”

 

“Saying "someday" is too vague, it is not concrete and I could have said wait at least a year or so for me to be ready. But I didn’t do that.” Jennie said before Chaeyoung tried to justify her. “You left thinking I didn’t love you, and I made no move to prove you otherwise, I can’t blame you for not waiting and finding somebody else in the meantime.”

 

“I still should’ve done better.” Chaeyoung tells her. “I do need you to know me choosing Hyeri even after the fights that we have, even after you admitted you still loved me, had nothing to do with me not loving you, because I never stopped.” She said clearly.

 

Jennie knew this but at the same time there was a part of her that questioned it. So it felt good to hear Chaeyoung say that.

 

“You were with her because I had broken your heart and you were scared.”

 

“Well… yeah.”

 

“Well that’s stupid.” Jennie tells her shoving Chaeyoung playfully. “But I do admit my fault in that, let’s be honest even when we finally got together in high school I did a pretty lame job of reassuring you.” She said seriously. “And I hate how even now I can see you being scared sometimes.”

 

“I…”

 

“It 's okay, Rosie.” Jennie says softly. “We’ve had a very messy ride, us getting here wasn't easy, but guess what?”

 

“What?”

 

“One way or another both of us always put in the work and we are here now, and we will continue to work. Because Chaeyoung I’m not running away, not again, and if I do, I promise you I will always run to you.”

 

It's more than a vow

It's knowing that you'll never go

Feet on the ground

There's nothing that I want more

Than to promise my hours, my days

In your hands I'll stay

Knowing that you'll never go

 

--------------------------


 

When they were younger the emotions of those moments swept me away but now they are both older it’s different. They see two people fighting hard for their love in their own way, standing the test of time and the fear of growing apart. It hits them differently now.

 

After the talk it was like a burden was lifted off their shoulders, like the elephant in the room was gone. They both destroyed the remaining bricks of their protective walls down. They could communicate better, they could love each other better and, of course, they could work better.

 

When Chaeyoung and Jennie finalized the paperwork for the album, Hyeri wished them luck and tried to only intervene when it was necessary. At the end it worked and it benefited both labels, business wise and creative wise. And honestly working together had been a dream for both girls, yes they had different tastes and ideas but the one thing that was equal was their passion and understanding in music.

 

I've never been the one to trust

I've never felt the need to stay

Always on the run

Chasing sun, no names

 

They were finally ready to start their new lives but before they could that there was something else that Jennie needed to take care of. Which is why she had started to play a demo from her phone into the bluetooth speaker on Chaeyoung’s office, it was something she had been planning for a while. It was the very first song she had fully written about Chaeyoung.

 

“Jen?”

 

The brunette smiled. “Yes, baby?”

 

“What am I hearing?”

 

“Why that’s my lovely voice you are hearing, love.” Jennie said.

 

“Um, wow, okay.”

 

Jennie walked to the office and leaned against the door, looking at Chaeyoung who was sitting behind her desk looking at her with surprise.

 

“I want you to listen to the lyrics.”

 

I wish that I could tell you why

Every time you reach out I'm

Shaking

Trying to fight

Taking flight

Breaking

 

Jennie walks into the room slowly with a soft smile, blushing slightly at the look Chaeyoung was giving her. The brunette walked further all while singing along “Even when I try, even when I've wanted too , you won't let me give up, give up, holding on to you”

 

The brunette keeps walking and sits sideways on Chaeyoung lap, the blonde immediately wrapping her arm around her waist.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hey.” Jennie replied giving her a quick peck. “This song, I’ve been working on it for...years.”

 

Chaeyoung brows shot up. “What?”

 

“Mmhm.” Jennie nodded. “Like literally since we were in high school and you were an insistent little .”

 

“Sorry?”

 

Jennie giggled, her hand soflty caressing Chaeyoung’s cheek as she got closer and leaned against her ear. “You won't let me go, you won't let me hide, you won't let me leave, myself behind.”

 

Chaeyoung closed her eyes listening to her fiance’s voice, her favorite sound in the world right after her giggle.

 

“I am where I am because of you Chaeyoung, because you never gave up on me, not once, even when we were not together you were still there for me and made it absolutely impossible for me to love anyone else, not as much as I do you.”

 

“Jen…”

 

“This is me showing you and promising you, I’m here to stay, I’m ready to start our future together.”

 

Chaeyoung said nothing but did lean in to kiss the brunette though she was stopped by a delicate finger on . She pouts at her and then feels her panic rising when she notices Jennie removing the engagement ring.

 

“I can’t accept this ring.” Jennie said, trying to be quick to keep Chaeyoung from getting the wrong idea. “I mean it’s beautiful, but it’s not the ring I wanna wear.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’s just… I always imagined wearing Claire’s ring and I know how much it means to you.” She said while smiling at the girl. “So that’s the ring I wanna wear for the rest of my life.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Jennie nods. “So sure.”

 

“Okay.” Chaeyoung said, she then placed the ring on her desk and proceeded to open her drawer where her grandma’s ring was being kept. She wanted Jennie to wear that ring too but she figured since Hyeri had already used it, even if it was by mistake, the brunette wouldn’t like to wear it plus she deserved something better.

 

Guess she was wrong after all.

 

She takes the ring out and Jennie makes a show of giving her her hand which makes both of them laugh at her silliness. The blonde slides the ring and Jennie feel satisfied now like the final piece was clicking into place.

 

“There.” The blonde said. “Now it’s right where it belongs.”

 

“And where it will stay for the rest of our lives.”

 

Every time I fall

You're the voice that carries through

I'm still learning, learning, learning

How to count on you