Snapshot # 2 The One Where Destiny Begins

Snapshots Of A Small Town

Jennie was in middle of a very unpleasant make out session with her boyfriend, really Kai wasn’t all that but it was a distraction, the wasn’t great but it was better than nothing she supposed, either way she hasn’t been able to get into it tonight because her of a boyfriend keeps laughing in between.

 

“Unbelievable.” She says annoyed pulling away.

 

“What?” He asks laughing. “Jennie did you not see how much she ?”

 

“So?”

 

“She was horrible. I’ve never seen a girl choke so bad.”

 

“And you enjoyed that?” She crossed her arms leaning further away from him and back into her own seat.

 

“Well, yeah, didn’t you?” Jennie looks away. “What? Do you like her or something?”

 

Jennie laughs and gets closer to him again. “What more than my boyfriend who Im currently trying to make out with?”

 

Kai scoffs. “Well put some ice on it, you ever think I might want to talk?”

 

“No, you don’t. You want to celebrate the humiliation of someone else, isn’t that a little played out?”

 

“And being with you isn´t?”

 

Jennie looks at him in disbelief and simply get outs of the car.

 

“Oh Jennie come on, I was joking.”

 

The brunette ignores him and simply keeps walking away.

 

“Fine. If you want to be like that then take your ty music to.” He said as he throws her cd out of the window as he drives away.

 

“Damn it, Kai! That cd was hard to find, it’s an import!” She yells as she watches her boyfriend walk away. So much for having tonight. Guess she’ll have to take her of it herself when she gets home. But for now she gets ready for walking.

 

In a nearby bench, that same night Chaeyoung sat by the bridge, is the kind of place the community gets together for free dancing classes, sometimes salsa, sometimes hip-hop, you name it there was a class. And it was also the place where her friends would get together just to dance, no competition, no popularity contest just dance.

 

And this is where you could find Chaeyoung after a terrible night. Tonight was the first showcase Chaeyoung participated in after joining the team. She was a nobody before, even if her best friend was cheerleader, she was just a girl. But the coach had seen her dance and asked her to audition, and the brunette wasn’t sure if she should because in a way joining the team would be like joining the big leagues and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for that.

 

After extensive talks with the coach, her mom and Jisoo she auditioned and she got it, it was too bad she got to nervous that she actually choked mid performance, the team got angry, coach was disappointed and Chaeyoung well Chaeyoung didn’t know how to feel.

 

“I guess misery really loves company.”

 

Chaeyoung looks up and sees Jennie standing a few feet away from her.

 

“What are you doing here?” She asked, not cold but serious.

 

“Actually I’m not here. I never was.” She said turning around, not that she’d ever admitted but ever since meeting Chaeyoung, Jennie found herself oddly drawn to her as the girl brought her some calmness and a weird sense of belonging.

 

“You know, I just play the music and my body follows. I don’t ask questions. It’s just the way it is.”

 

“Or the way it was.” Jennie answers turning around.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Look it just a game. Everything is. Who cares if the entire school, most of your friends know you .”

 

“You’ve clearly come to cheer me up.” Chaeyoung said smiling making the brunette in front of her smile too. “Do you want a ride?”

 

“You mind if I ask you a question?” Jennie turned to look at Chaeyoung as they approached her house.

 

“Shoot.”

 

“Why’d you decide to do it? Join the team? ‘Cause it seem to me you don’t exactly fit in there you know?”

 

“Dancing. I love dancing.”

 

“Right. The same reason I cheer.” She said sarcastically. “Why didn’t you stay in the playground? Why join the varsity?”

 

Chaeyoung looks in front of her and sighs before turning to look at Jennie. “Because I want to know If I’m good.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Why you do it then?” Asked Chaeyoung adjusting in her seat to they can look at each other better. “Cheerleading?”

 

“Because it’s all just a game isn’t it? It doesn’t matter if I like it or not. If I say I like it I’m just another cheerleader, If I say I hate it, I’m either a liar or a fraud. Either way I lose. So really it’s just a matter of who’s asking.”

 

“Well I’m asking.”

 

Jennie chuckles as she opens the door to get out of the car. “Thanks for the ride.”

 

-------------------------------

 

The following day you could find Chaeyoung helping her dad at his carshop. One the weekends she was usually there or at her mom’s cafe. Today Chaeyoung preferred working with her dad, for one reason and one reason only. Jennie’s car was there.

 

“Look it was just one showcase, Chae. No one expected perfection from you.” Her dad says trying to comfort her about her failed showcase.

 

“What I can’t do it, dad? What I’m not good enough?”

 

“Honey, when other kids have dreams of becoming astronauts or teachers you were there with the dream of becoming a dancer.” Her dad places a comforting hand around her. “You are fighting for your dream, honey. No one ever said it would be easy. Just don’t give up.”

Her dad than handed her the keys of Jennie’s car. “Now get started on this while I go tow another car.”

 

Chaeyoung sighted and she opened the car, and as per they usually did for all cars, she started taking all of the personal items out, while cleaning out she sees a flyer for a radio contest, they were inviting people to send their own songs or mixed to compete for a summer internship.

 

Does she write her own songs?

 

Now Chaeyoung liked writing songs of her own and Jennie… well, she didn’t seem like the type to do so. Didn’t seem the type to be into music. Guess she shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.

 

Placing the items in a plastic container. She proceeded to start the car to check the engine troubles, when she did the radio started too and it was a song she hadn’t heard before, it was just instrumental but it was good and she couldn’t get this lyrics out of her head, quickly she took out a pen and and and napkin that was laying around the car and started writing down.

 

I met you in Paris, you were dancing in the rain…

 

She wrote as she listened a few more seconds of the song and rewinding it.

 

Brown eyes and red lips, I didn’t ask your name…too… busy making some memories with the girl without a name, so what are you…

 

“What are you doing?! That’s my music it’s personal!”

 

Chaeyoung hurriedly gets out of the car and puts her hands up. “I swear I wasn’t snooping, i started the car and the music started so I just…”

 

“Mind your own business.”

 

With that Jennie takes the cd out of her car and leaves, leaving a surprised Chaeyoung behind, Chaeyoung means to follow her to apologize but stops when she sees the brunette throw the cds on the trash and the brunette keeps walking Chaeyoung reaches inside and takes the CDs out along with the application letter and takes it back to the shop with her, leaving them along with Jennie’s personal items.

 

----------------------------

 

The following week Chaeyoung has missed dance practice, her insecurity getting the better of her, like Jennie said, what was the point?

 

“No practice today?”

Jennie arrives from what seems cheerleader practice for her car and Chaeyoung already has her paperwork ready, so she takes it out signs it and the passes the form to Jennie, ignoring her question. In the meantime the brunette takes the plastic container with Jennie’s things and places it on the counter, dropping her keys on of it.

 

“What are you stalking me?” Jennie asks as she sees her cds, the ones she was sure she had thrown away.

 

“I thought someone should hear them.”

 

The brunette stares her a look in her eyes that has Chaeyoung feeling like Jennie has never heard anybody say something good about her music.

 

“Well is not of your business.” She says quietly.

 

“You know what? You are right. It’s not of my business.” She snapped, why exactly? She doesn’t know maybe at the fact that Jennie refused to have faith in her abilities and maybe just maybe the frustration was a little bit at herself. “I wouldn’t know anything about it.”

 

“I know you don’t”

 

“Look just tell me why you didn’t submit them. Your stuff is good.” She then said following Jennie outside to where her car was.

 

“Is not good enough.”

 

“Look… Jennie, why not?”

 

Jennie stops where her car is and takes a deep breath before turning around. “I want to make music that means something to someone.” She said as she felt a feeling resembling relief run through her body, as if she was carrying a big weight. “You know? Like when you go to see a really great band live for the first time and nobody’s saying it but they’re all thinking it… ´We have something to believe in again.’”

 

The passion in her eyes clear as day, and to CHaeyoung she has never looked more beautiful. Looking down Jennie swallows and sighs. “I want people to hear my music and get that feeling. But, I can’t. And if I can’t be great then I don’t want to ruin it. It’s too important to me.” She says that part quietly.

 

Chaeyoung nods. “Yep. Me too.” She said talking about her own dream.

 

Both girls stare at each other for a few seconds before Jennie snaps out of it and turns to get in her car.

 

“What about your cds?”

 

“What about them? They don’t mean something to anybody right?”

 

-----------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung sat on the locker room getting ready for the showcase again. She kept going to practice during the last week, and after having a talk with coach Hyoyeon she agreed to take her back, only this time she’d be placed at the back and only when Chaeyoung has proven she wants to be here, then she’ll be back at main line.

 

And while she sits down getting ready, she can still hear the words her coach said to her…

 

Don’t let them take it. Don’t let fear and uncertainty take your love for dancing away from you. If you do, then you are already lost.

 

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all.

 

“Hey! I thought you wouldn’t show up.” Jisoo said from her place at the bleachers when Jennie arrives.

 

“It’s dance, we love dancing. Where else would I be.”

 

Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach.

 

Chaeyoung sits on the locker room changing, her earphones in, listening to Jennie’s songs in her ipod.

 

The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real.

 

As they are about to go out she hears one of her teammate run pass her while telling at her not to choke in a joking manner. Making Chaeyoung smile as she feels her nervousness fade away and replaced with adrenaline.

 

It is possible. It is yours.

 

The showcase turns out to be a success, Chaeyoung didn’t choke and just like she did while on the playground she just let her body take control of things, let her heart take the reigns and it worked, As she gets congratulated by Jisoo she sees Jennie waiting by the exit for one of her friends, so she tells Jisoo she’ll meet her in the car in a minute and heads towards where Jennie is.

 

“Hey, Jennie.” She calls out.

 

“Good show.” Jennie says when she sees her. “What made you come back?”

 

“Your music." She said, seeing the disguised shock in Jennie's eyes. "Your art matters. Is what got me here.”