Snapshot # 5 The One With The Triangle Part 1

Snapshots Of A Small Town

“Here we go. This is the writer I was telling you about.”

 

Chaeyoung and Jisoo were sitting at the library. It had been approximately a month since the whole confessing thing with Jennie although Jisoo didn’t know about it and Chaeyoung didn’t want to tell her. What was the point of it? Is not like it would change matters anyways. So here she was with Jisoo enjoying the start of their relationship.

 

”Somerset Maugham?”

 

“Maugham.” Chaeyoung corrects her miss pronunciation. “Of Human .” She reads the title.

 

“Oooh, .”

 

The brunette rolls her eyes. “It’s not like that.”

 

“Okay, so we are good. Are we done here?”

 

“Wha..? I… thought this would be a good opportunity to spend some time together, you know?”

 

Jisoo eyes soften. “And it is, Pasta. I promise.” She said giving her a peck on the lips. “I’m sorry. I’ll read it and let you know my thoughts okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“And remember, Pasta. I read and you have fun. Now, chop chop, I wasn’t kidding about leaving we have somewhere to be. Let’s go.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

It had been approximately a month since the whole confessing thing and Jennie was still trying hard not be affected by both of her friends dating. She really was, hell she even had a conversation with them both about it…

 

Flashback

 

Jennie was not avoiding CHaeyoung. Nope. Not at all. SHe just happen to go a different way than the other girl, and then she just happened to walk a little faster. That’s all.

 

“Jennie!”

 

The brunette closes her eyes as she was so close to getting in her car before the other girl calls out her. Releasing a breath she turns around. “What?” She said maybe a bit to harshly.

 

Chae looks taken a back for a second before shaking her head. “Look, about last night, I feel really bad about what happened…”

 

“Can we please not relive it?” She interrupts. “I.. had this really long, weird day, and I just… I probably wasn’t make it any sense,” And there she goes again denying everything and putting up her barrier.

 

“No, you were.” Chaeyoung confirms because she needed to know before making a choice if Jennie meant it. “But I had no idea you were coming over and you… you just caught me off guard but me and Jisoo we...”

 

“Make a really great couple.” Interrupted Jennie once again. “Last night was a momentary lapse of judgement, like the kiss all over again you know.” She said placing another brick on her wall pushing Chaeyoung to make her choice. “I’m happy for you, Chae. You are a really great girl. And Jisoo is my best friend.”

 

So maybe Jennie was a bit on a idiot, a scared one… but still an idiot. She pushed Chaeyoung away again and don’t get her started on her conversation with Jisoo…

 

Jennie was in her room avoiding the world as per usual drawing on her bed when Jisoo walks in behind her with a polaroid camera and takes a picture of her.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Jisoo looks down at the camera taking out the picture. “Documenting. A day without dance. Hour one.” She looks at the picture and frowns. “Something wrong with this picture.” She get closer to Jennie and takes a picture of the both of them. “There!”

 

Jennie gives her a half smile and goes back to drawing which makes Jisoo frown again.

 

“Can you please do your weird drawings later?” She says. “There’s no dance, we are young, we’re gorgeous and we have all this freetime so let’s go do something fun.”

 

“What about Chae?” She asked, trying to not sound bitter about it. “I’m sure she’d be up for some fun. Probably some polaroids to.”

 

“Ah. Chaeyoung. The elephant in the room.”

 

Jennie stopped drawing and gave her best ‘whatever do you mean?’ face.

 

Jisoo rolled her eyes. “Look I came to make sure there is no weirdness about it. You’re my best friend too and I would never cut you out for someone I’m dating. Ok? No matter who they are, or if they are my other… best friend. Or how happy she makes me.”

 

“Jisoo, I’m cool with you and Chae.” Jennie said somewhat truthfully.

 

“You sure?”

 

“Yeah, I just want to draw for a little bit.” SHe lied. “Raincheck?”

 

“Count on it.”

 

So that’ show the conversation went and now Jennie was stuck being the third wheel and pretending to be fine with them, which she was not. And because she was Jisoo’s best friend she was stuck hearing her talk about their relationship. Turns out going from friends to lover was not an easy thing to do.

 

“I really don’t wanna cross a line so tell me if this is totally inappropriate to ask.”

 

“When has that ever stopped you?”

 

“I need to connect more with Chaeyoung.”

 

Jennie frowns at this confused. “She’s your best friend, and now she’s your girlfriend how much more do you need to connect?”

 

The other brunette huffs as she explains. “I mean, we are so different, and making out is great but it only goes so far, and the whole being different thing would be okay if we were just friends you know? but we are not and I really want this to work.”

 

Jennie sighs. “She’s your best friend, Jisoo. Just keep doing whatever it is you did with her before, nothing has to change other than the fact that you two make out now.”

 

Jisoo pouts.

 

“FIne, you know what?” Jennie reaches into her bag. “Give her this.”

 

“Travis.”

 

“Tell her tracks 8 and 11 make you think of her.”

 

“Great!” She said taking the CD then pausing. “Wait. Make me think of her or you think of her?”

 

“Just friends.” Painfully so Jennie thinks.

 

“I know. Sorry. You’re a Goddess.”

 

Needless to say Jisoo made a fool of herself and told Chae tracks 8 and 13 made her think of Chae and that she totally loved the Travis guy. Mind you Jisoo was not aware Travis was a band even if her girlfriend was a big fan of them even if her and Chae had been listening to the same album Jennie gave to Jisoo, 12 memories, on repeat when they drove to school together because Jisoo simply let her broody girlfriend control the radio.

 

At the end the whole thing worked out in her favor, because Jisoo came clean asking Chaeyoung why was she with her, why was she friends with her in the first place if they had nothing in common to which the girl responded with. ‘I never asked you to be into the same things as I am, I never have, you being you is enough.’ This making their relationship stronger.

 

So now here Jennie was accepting of her faith, so much so, she had enlisted them both to help on a secret project for her dad, because no matter how hard it was she wanted her best friend and Chaeyoung to be happy, they both deserved to be.

 

“Hey, honey.”

 

“Hey, dad. What’s going on with the lone wanderer look?”

 

Jennie was talking via skype with her dad, who worked at sea so he was often away and talked to Jennie every once in awhile through phone calls, this was the first time they were seeing face to face thanks to the webcam her dad bought.

 

“That’s right you are not used to seeing me like this. See when I’m not the job I usually just let my beard grow then I shave it off before I come home. Kind of like a ritual for me.”

 

“Well make sure you find a razor the day after tomorrow.”

 

“Will do, kiddo. Hey Jisoo, Hey Chae.” Jennie turns to look behind her to see both girls standing behind her. “I see nobody uses the doorbell anymore.”

 

Both girls met her dad around a month ago a half ago when he last visited. And since the three of them spend so much time together at Jennie’s house, her dad kinda got used to hearing them be there which make him feel better about being away as his daughter wasn’t alone.

 

“Papa Kim, that scruffy look is doing wonders for you.”

 

“What are you kids up to this early in the morning?” He asked ignoring Jisoo’s comment.

 

“I don’t know, Jennie didn’t say she just asked us to…”

 

Jennie interrupted by placing a her hand on Jisoo’s mouth. “Oh no, you’ll find out when you get home.”

 

“Not even a clue?”

 

“Nope, I love you.” She said waving her hand.

 

“Love you too, honey.”

 

“So what’s the surprise?” Asked Jisoo was Jennie had turned off the camera. Jennie only nods her head so they can follow her to their garage. The brunette approaches a covered car and swiftly pulls the cover off revealing a red fastback ford.

 

Chaeyoung whistles and start inspecting the car, her dad owning a car ship meant she grew to have an appreciation to cars, at the same time working part time there also gave her some knowledge on how they work. “Nice car. Is it your dads?”

 

“Mhmm.” Jennie nods. “He hasn’t driven it in like a year. Do you think you can get it to run?”

 

“Of course she can.” Said Jisoo smirking. “And she’s going to look good doing it too, in your white wife beater, maybe some smudges here and there.” She continues flirting. The taller brunette looks down shyly and embarrassed while Jennie looks away sad and annoyed.

 

Embarrassed Chaeyoung heads over to the hood and opens it, inspecting the engine. Jennie from her side after taking a deep breath turns to Jisoo. “I was thinking maybe you could help wash and wax it?”

 

“Glad to help.”

 

Jennie smiles in thanks. “I just want to do something nice for him. Since he’s coming home.”

 

“Alright, I’ll go get my tools.”

 

---------------------------------------------

 

Later that day Chaeyoung is in the car working on it with Jisoo leaning in the passenger window.

 

“Well, it’s not the battery. It’s probably the starter.”

 

“Well, you can fix that right?”

 

“Yeah, it shouldn’t be a problem.” She said as Jisoo gets in the car next to her. “It’s an amazing car.”

 

“It’s an amazing girl.” Jisoo says pulling her in for a kiss.

 

“Is this what you got in me here for?” She asks between kisses as the other girl nods. “Good idea.” She then says as Jisoo fully shuts her up by kissing her deeper when Jennie comes outside. “I was just getting started.” Said Chae quickly pulling away.

 

“Sadly, so was I.” Jisoo mumbles before seeing her best friends face. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I’m just worried about my dad.” She said while holding her phone. “I checked online and now they’re saying it’s a category 3 hurricane.” She tells them while pacing back and forth.

 

“Alright and you already checked the webcam right?”

 

“Yeah it’s out.”

 

“Well maybe her turned it off.” Jisoo offered.

 

“Or the storm did it for him.”

 

“Yeah but storms knock that kind of thing out all the time right? Anyway, aren’t dredging boats huge?” Chaeyoung said trying to keep the other girl calm who just kept pacing back and forth.

 

“He wouldn’t be on the dredging boat. Right now, if there’s a storm headed his way, he’d be on this little tiny transport heading back to shore and that’s what worries me.”

 

Chaeyoung stood in front Jennie effectively stopping her pacing and grabbed her by the shoulders gently. “Okay, Jennie, stop. Don’t do this to yourself, alright? Just because he hasn’t checked in doesn’t mean something’s happen.”

 

“Doesn’t mean it hasn’t either.”

 

--------------------------------------------

 

Later that day as Jennie kept pacing back and forth in front of the computer and the phone, Chaeyoung was in her garage working on the car with Jisoo. The shorter girl was inside the car while the taller brunette worked under the hood.

 

“Alright, try it again.”

 

Jisoo starts the engine and as it finally comes to life they both laugh, excited that it worsk.

 

“We got power!”

 

“Jennie, come check it out!” Jisoo yells but in a split of second gets out of the car as the excited dies down when Jennie comes out. “What is it?”

 

“I just got a phone call.” Jennie looked down. “Um, it’s the storm. My dad’s transport is missing. There were three guys on it. They recovered a body.” She said, her voice cracking at the last sentence. “I have to go see if it’s him.”

 

The three girls make their back into the house as Jennie with shaking hands grabs her jacket and cell ready to head out.

 

“Are you sure you shouldn’t call your Grandma?”

 

“No, she’d freak out. I’d rather not upset her. Besides its not going to be my dad.” Said the girl looking at the other two for reassurance.

 

“Of course is not.” Jisoo replied with as much confidence as she could.

 

“Lets go ahead and get this over with. We have a 4 hour drive ahead of us.” Said Jennie grabbing her keys. She was eager to just get it done.

 

“Shouldn’t somebody stay here by the phone? I mean incase your dad calls.”

 

“I will.” Jisoo offered. “Chae is good in a crisis, not that there’s going to be one.” She quickly corrects. “But I would probably end up falling apart and you’d end up taking care of me which is not the point so…” She turns to Jennie. “I love you.” She pulls her close for a comforting hug. “It’s going to be okay.” She pulls away and turns to Chaeyoung. “You’re the best.” She said kissing her quickly.

 

“Thank you, Choo.”

 

“I’ll call you guys if I hear anything.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

It’s not long before both girls are making their way to the place where Jennie was told to go to. Chaeyoung gave a quick call to her mom to let her know and know who told her to take care and make sure to bring Jennie around for a free meal afterwards. So now the brunette was driving them both to the place.

 

Jennie felt comforted. Chaeyoung had become and important piece of her life in a very short time and that was terrifying for her, no one had passed her wall this quickly, she essentially bulldozed her way into Jennie’s heart without the shorter brunette even noticing until it was too late. And even with that regret lingering in her mind she found herself feeling calmer in her presence, for her Chaeyoung felt like someone steady, calm, like a safety net ready to be there in case she fell apart. And Jennie was thankful to have Chaeyoung there for this.

 

Chaeyoung from her side felt nervous and worried. Nervous because this is the first time she had spent a long period of time alone with Jennie after what happened. Worried because she kept stealing glances at the girl whilst driving and although she appeared calm, she could see the right hand playing with a loose thread on her jeans, a nervous habit she had seen before on the girl. She could her left hand in a tight fist on her lap and she kept shifting in her seat.

 

“You warm enough?” She asked, nothing but Jennie’s wellbeing on her mind right now.

 

“I’m okay. I should probably get the heater fixed in here right?”

 

Chaeyoung smiled. “You know I could have my dad take a look at it for you. He’s really good at that stuff.” She said as she stole a quick glance as the girl, she saw her pulling her jacket closer to her body crossing her arms. “You want me to stop and get some coffee?”

 

“I’m fine. Thanks.” Jennie paused for a second. “Thanks for doing this for me, Rosie.”

 

“It’s what friends are for right?”

 

Jennie looked away from Chae and looked down. Friends. How she was starting to hate that word. “Yeah.”

 

The get to a draw bridge that seems to be blocked off with reflection barriers on it, clearing closed, Chaeyuong bring the car to a stop as they head out.

 

“What’s going on?” Chae asks to a worker.

 

“Bridge is up cause of the storm. It’ll be open in the morning.”

 

“Alright we have an emergency, we have to get across the bridge.” Said Jennie walking behind Chaeyoung.

 

“I’m sorry miss, but it’s not safe.”

 

“Okay, um, is there another way through?”

 

“No, I’m sorry. Hopefully by tomorrow we can open the bridge. There’s a motel right down the road. Might want to grab yourselves a room before they are all gone.”

 

Frustrated Jennie and Chaeyoung make their way back to the motel, renting a room for both, and just in time as the rain seemed to start falling down harder in that moment.

 

“Alright, let’s just try to get some sleep, then we’ll be a tthe bridge as soon as it opens up. What did he say? 6 a.m?”

 

“We’ll be there at 5.” Chae says closing the door and removing her jacket, Jennie doing the same thing. “What?” She then asked as Jennie laughed humorlessly.

 

“We’re in a hurry to find out if my dad is dead. It’s just kind of surreal.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty messed up.”

 

The shorter brunette then takes a seat by the bed while Chae sit one of the chair near the window.

 

“You know how in dreams, you’re always trying to get to some place you need to be but you never really get there?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I wish I could wake up/” She said quietly.

 

Chaeyoung sight and sit on the bed next the girl. “Let’s try to get some sleep. You think you can?” She asks receiving a nod from the other girl. “Okay, then let’s do that.”

 

After turning off the lights and Jennie calling Chae stupid for offering to sleep on the floor since there was only one bed. Both girls lay down wide awake.

 

“I wish there was something I could do, or say to help you through this.” Chae said interrupting the quiet they had found themselves in.

 

“You are helping, Rosie.” Jennie confirms equally as quietly. “You being here is enough.”

 

By the next morning things seem to be working on their favor as the draw bridge is open and the storm seemed to have passed already. So as fast as they could Chaeyoung drove them to the coroner's office. Jennie follows the doctor closely with Chaeyoung’s hand tightly clasped in hers. The taller girl doing gentle motions with her thumb on the back of her hand, as they are led to stand besides an examination table. Jennie looks at Chaeyoung takes a step closer to her in comfort, with a deep breath Jennie nods for the doctor to lift off the sheet.

 

When the sheet is lifted a breath of relief leaves Jennie’s lungs as she looks away. “It’s not him.” She says turning to lean her face Chaeyoung’s chest. The taller girl wrapping her arm around her in a comforting manner as the tears Jennie had been holding on to finally come out.

 

“You did good.” Chaeyoung says once they are outside.

 

“I felt like my chest was going to explode.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckles lightly as she takes out her phone to call Jisoo.

 

“Hey, I was just dialing you.”

 

“Well it’s good news.”

 

“Yeah I know, I just got off the phone with the coast guard, they made contact with his boat, he’s fine.”

 

Chaeyoung pulls the phone away lightly and turns to Jennie. “They found your dad, he’s okay.” She says receiving the biggest smile from the shorter girl and a hug. ‘Alright we’re headed home.”

 

“Okay, I’m waiting. Love you.”

 

“Alright, me too. Bye.”

 

“Oh my God, that’s… wait.” Jennie stops walking as she feels her wrist.

 

“What?”

 

“My bracelet, it’s gone and I… I can’t lose it, my dad gave it to me and I…”

 

“Hey, Jen. It’s okay, it’s okay, maybe you left it at the motel, we can go back and check okay?’

 

-----------------------------------

 

“It has to be here.” Jennie franatically walks into the motel room, leaving no stone unturned, she needed to find it. That bracelet was given to her by her dad on her last birthday, it was a silver bracelet engraved with the words ‘To my heart, love Dad.’ and it the most precious thing Jennie has ever owned. Which is why she couldn’t lose it.

 

She quickly makes a mess on the bed, throwing the pillows to the floor and removing the covers, her franatic motions stopping was she was able to locate the bracelet hidden beneath the sheets, sighing in relief she takes and quickly puts in back on.

 

“Got it?” Chae asks softly as Jennie walks towards her.

 

The shorter girl doesn’t look up but keeps looking at the bracelet the high stress she has been on on the last 24 hrs finally crashing down as she starts crying against Chaeyoung chest. The taller girl wraps her arms around her, one of her hands playing with the ends of her hair whispering in her ear. “It’s okay. Everything’s okay now.”

 

When they pull away after a Jennie has calmed down, Chaeyoung gently wipes Jennie’s tear away, the brunette looks up at Chae vulnerably, her eyes looking at her lips and then at her eyes and in a split of second unable to control herself pulls the other girl closer and kisses her, Chaeyoung stunned for a second wastes no time in kissing back.

 

Without pulling away Chaeyoung takes off Jennie’s jacket, then doing the same with her as Jennie pulls her towards the bed, both falling in it with Chae on top of her, Chaeyoung takes off Jennie;s shirt and stars making her way from her neck to her stomach marking her with kisses, before going back to her neck, when Chaeyoung kisses her under the jaw before pulling away to…

 

“Ow, ow, my hair.” Jennie keeps her close, as Chaeyoung’s necklace get tangled with her hair.

 

“Sorry.” She whispered still close.

 

Jennie’s arms go around her unclasping the necklace as Chaeyoung pulls away. “There.” She says untangling her her.

 

This serves as a bucket of cold water to Chaeyoung.”Jisoo.”

 

“What?”

 

“Jisoo gave me that necklace.” Chaeyoung quickly shakes her head and stands up. “.”

 

“.”

 

“Jennie I..”

 

“Don’t. It was stupid. Okay? You’re with Jisoo now.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“We just got carried away. It didn’t mean anything.”

 

“It didn’t?”

 

“Of course it did.”