Snapshot # 4 And So The Triangle Begins

Snapshots Of A Small Town

Jisoo and Jennie were walking down the stairs of the school heading out for their break.

 

“So how are we feeling after leaving cheerleading for dancing?”

 

“Good, amazing actually.” Answered Jennie, both girls had quit cheerleader to join the dance team with Chaeyoung. Being with the dance team meant they could explore other genres, other types of dancing, for Jennie meant she didn’t have to wear the stupid uniform all the time and there was no need to pretend to be cheery when you are actually doing something that you like.

 

Things seemed to be changing around here and for now it was a good thing, or so Jennie thought. “And you, how you feeling after last night?” Jennie asked referring to last nights party.

 

“All I remember is you and me, and Seulgi in my car. And then Chaeyoung and Kai, and then you said something about being into Chae but it could’ve been Kai, I need to know.”

 

“Need?”

 

Yes, need. Because if you like her back then I have no chance, but if don’t then there might be a bit of hope for me.

 

Jennie avoids the question by walking faster and reaching the table where Chae was sitting out in the quad, her earphones in as she reads a book.

 

“Hey, broody.”

 

“Hey, cheery. Jennie.” The brunette greets them both as she puts her book down and takes out her earphones.

 

The three of them are in a awkward silence before Jisoo breaks it. “Yeeeah… so I’ll get going, see you both at practice.”

 

As Jisoo walks away Chaeyoung can’t help but follow her with her eyes while Jennie sits down clearing . “So, what’s the deal? Are we going to hang out at the annual money burn or what?”

 

Chaeyoung chuckles. “As if I was going to spend my friday night with Kai in his ridiculous mansion. I’d rather stay home”

 

Jennie looks down for a second and then looks up leaning forward on the table. “You know, I read a book last night.”

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, it’s about this two girls, and they’ve got this weird thing going on, but there’s all this drama, ‘cause the girl’s ex is actually an to the other girl and it all boils down to this big at the evil ex’s house.”

 

“Really?” The brunette replied smiling. “And what happens in the end.”

 

“You’re just gonna have to show up to find out.”

 

----------------------------------

 

The annual money burn that Jennie was referring to, was a fundraiser of the sort, the Jong-ins held an annual fundraiser to support the school’s sport related activities, mainly basketball as Kai was on the team, but part of the funds went to the dance team as well, hence why they had to be there.

 

Jennie was in the middle of putting on some red lipstick as Jisoo looks her over.

 

“Looking good in white.” She said passing her the lipgloss. “Tonight’s gonna be killer. You and Kai or you and Chae, and an open bar.”

 

Jennie takes the gloss and puts it on. “There’s no me and Kai, or me and Chae for that matter.”

 

“For now. You know, Kai’s loving the idea of you coming tonight.”

 

“How do you know that?”

 

“Because he told me so. He was actually very sweet about it.”

 

“Kai Jong-in?”

 

“You know, you might just be destined to be together.”

 

“Jesus, let’s hope not.”

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

Mr.s Jong-in was finishing his usual speech while Jisoo and Jennie stood next to each other, Jisoo wearing a red dress while Jennie opted for all while. Across the room you could see Chae in a black dress. When Jisoo turned to look at her she found Chae’s eyes already looking at her so she smiles at her, the brunette smiling back.

 

Jennie looks at Chae and then at Jisoo frowning, she wanted a smile too.

 

“I’m going to head over at the bar before it fills up. You go talk to Kai. See how’s been looking at you?” Said Jisoo before walking away.

 

Jennie instead of looking at Kai who already had his eyes on her, looked at Chaeyoung giving her a flirty smile which was answered with an equally flirty smile.

 

Meanwhile Jisoo walks over to the bar followed by Bam Bam.

 

“You know there are never gonna serve you.”

 

Jisoo smirks looking at him. “Watch and learn. Bartenders love me.”

 

A gorgeous blonde woman pops up and rolls her eyes them, as of right now they are just two underage teens wanting to get drunk.

 

“Soda or juice?”

 

Jisoo leans forwards with a flirty smile. “Actually, I was gonna ask if you knew how to make a screaming .”

 

The bartender laughs. “For a pretty girl like you, sure.”

 

Jisoo laughs and continues smiling while the bartender prepares the drink.

 

“So what’s this thing tonight?”

 

“Ravens sports teams.” She answers referring to the school mascot.

 

“Oh, and what do you play?”

 

“Cheerleader.” She answered for the sake of the flirting and drink.

 

“Ah, Jocks and Cheerleaders, a lot of hormones tonight.” The bartender says smiling, giving Jisoo her drink. “Don’t go advertising.”

 

“I won’t.” She said with a wink. She walks away and smirks at Bam Bam who was impressed and in shock.

 

Bam Bam, adjust his suit jacket and walks to the bar as well smiling. “I’ll have what she’s having.”

 

The bartender rolls her eyes. “Soda or juice?”

 

------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung walks down the hallway after using the bathroom when she sees Jennie talking to some people, the two of them look at each other nodding to the backyard door agreeing to head over there to talk.

 

“So you and Jennie?”

 

“Seulgi.” Chae says smiling turning around to greet the girl.”How are you doing?”

 

“I’m good. Hey don’t let me stop you, go do your thing.

 

“Hey Seulgi, Chae. Two gorgeous girls for the price of one.” Jisoo comes in linking arms with Chae.

 

“Hey, Choo. Listen, I was gonna…”

 

“Don’t tell me you where going to leave.” She said pouting. “You still have to go to the real party at my house tonight.”

 

“I will go, but I have somewhere to be right now okay, so if you excuse me…”

 

“If you are thinking about talking to Jennie, I think she’s in the middle of getting back together with her ex.”

 

Chaeyoung frowns and looks back seeing Jennie talking to Kai.

 

“So, uh, did you get my messages?” Kai asked, his hand on his pockets. Looking nervous.

 

“Yeah, I got all of them.” Jennie answered almost bored.

 

“I don’t blame you for not calling me back.” He says. “Can we… uh, go somewhere, just...just to talk?”

 

Jennie looks at Chaeyoung who had her back to her talking to Jisoo, laughing and smiling.

 

Jennie nods. “Just to talk.”

 

“See what I mean?”

 

Chaeyoung watches as Kai and Jennie walk away with a frown.

 

“I’m sorry, Pasta.”

 

----------------------------------

 

Kai and Jennie walk into his room, Kai leans against his dresser while Jennie sits on bed facing him.

“So, I see you smiling a lot in school. That’s good.”

 

“You’ve been looking?”

 

“Yeah, sometimes.”

 

Jennie smiles, the person in front of her kinda reminds her how he used to be when they first started dating.

 

“Anyway, uh, I don’t know if Jisoo is playing games or what but she said you were into us getting back together.”

 

Jennie shakes her head chuckling, she knew it. “Funny, she said the same thing to me.”

 

Kai sighs. “Look, the thing is…”

 

All of a sudden the door opens and a laughing Bam Bam and Jisoo lean against it, they laugh stopping when they see Kai and Jennie.

 

“Ooops, We’ll come back later.”

 

“But there’s vodka in the drawer.” Bam Bam wines.

 

“Bams, later. These two need some space.” She said pulling him out.

 

Jennie already done with the entire thing stand ups. “You know what? Give it up, Jisoo.”

 

“Trust me I’m trying.”

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

Jisoo frowns. “I’m just trying to help.”

 

“Help with what? Getting me out of the way so you can go embarrass yourself in front of Chaeyoung?”

 

Jisoo scuffs getting defensive. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were on my way. Are you finally fessing up? Or are you finally denying it?”

 

Jennie opens and closes not knowing what to say. So with a guilty look over at Kai she walks out of the room in a hurry.

 

“What the hell, Jisoo?”

 

Kai and Bam leave the room leaving Jisoo by herself, who head to the drawer and takes out the vodka bottle.

“Jealousy is a ...and apparently so am I.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

Later that night the teens gather outside where the basketball team was playing hoops and the rest were hanging out or watching them play.

 

Chaeyoung stood by watching as Jennie walked towards her.

 

“Haven’t seen you much today.”

 

“Yeah, I know. Everytime I get within five feet of you…”

 

“Jisoo happens.” The shorter brunette said almost annoyed.

 

“Or Kai.” Chaeyoung said equally annoyed.

 

Jennie sighs and crosses her arms. “Loose ends.” She clarifies. “Those are all tied up now.”

 

Both girls smile at each other, Jennie then chuckles when she sees a lipstick smudge on Chaeyoung’s cheek, courtesy of Jisoo of probably. “Looks like she got you.” The brunette places her hand on Chae’s cheek wiping the lipstick off and for the taller girl is had not lean into her touch.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Jisoo from her spot takes another zip of her drink, pretty much hating herself for her actions lately,, because she honestly doesn’t know what’s gotten into her. She started to become someone she doesn’t like. Someone she is not. But she can’t seem to stop. She sighs as she looks across from her and watches as Jennie places her hand on Chaeyoungs cheek, why can’t she just end both of their miseries and admit the truth?

 

“Listen up everybody, is time to play truth or dare!” She says before she’s able to stop herself. “Or maybe just dare because nobody really tells the truth anymore.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs as Jennie rolls her eyes annoyed and turns to look at Jisoo crossing her arms.

 

“Let’s see, Jennie,.” She points at the girl.

 

“Jisoo…” She says as a warning.

 

“I dare you to show us how you really feel. Kiss Chaeyoung.”

 

Jennie looks stunned for a second and looks down embarrassed. Chaeyoung frowns and steps forward.

“Choo, what are you…?” Chaeyoung get interrupted as Jennie pulls her in by the neck to kiss her. The kiss ended as quickly as it started. With Jennie pulling away and walking away right after. Leaving a speechless Chaeyoung behind.The brunette looks at a retiring Jennie, then at Jisoo and Kai with a frown. “Jisoo, what the hell?”

 

Chaeyoung leaves following Jennie as Jisoo stands there uspet downing her drink.

 

The brunette follows Jennie to where she sits in the two person swing on the backyard, the shorter brunette clearly expecting her to follow as she pats the spot next to her when she sits down.

 

Both girls look at each other smiling.

 

“You know, I can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I’m glad I came.”

 

“So, what do we do now?”

 

Chaeyoung sighs deeply. ”I don’t know.” She said looking up. “So what happens next on the story you told me about?”

 

The shorter brunette seems to hesitate for a second before taking the other girls hand and pulls her up. “Come on.”

 

She tastes like dark chocolate, her favorite kind and Jennie is quick to deepen the kiss, her tongue looking for entry and Chaeyoung moans at feeling. Suddenly the brunette pins the former cheerleader against the door with her hips, her hands running along her side and Jennie gets goosebumps from the soft touch and she swears she sees fireworks behind her eyes.

 

“I’ve wanted this for so long.” Chae says between kisses.

 

“Me too. I now we can have it.”

 

“No, no, no.” She said pulling away gently from the girl, her hands on her waist. “I don’t mean just that. I want this.” She said, grabbing Jennie’s hand and placing it on her heart, her own doing the same thing over Jennie’s.

 

“You know? I want to be here. I want to have everything with you. I want it all. I want us, Jennie.”

 

And so Jennie backs away, leaving a confused Chaeyoung. Because this amazing girl is looking at her as if she placed the stars on the sky, treats her and touches her with the utmost care and talks to her with her heart on her sleeve and its just too much for Jennie to comprehend and deal with. So she backs away.

 

“Hey, what’’s wrong?”

“This was supposed to be that.” The brunette said pulling away from Chaeyoung and placing some distance in between them.

 

“Jennie…”

 

“Why couldn’t you just leave it alone.”

 

And with that the girl walks away, leaving a hurt Chaeyoung behind.

 

-------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung leaves the party soon after, she supposes a broken heart is what she gets for being so open with someone who has been keeping her away since they met. Maybe Jisoo was right. Maybe she shouldn’t gotten her hopes up just because Jennie started talking to her.

 

So the brunette goes to the place she usually goes to when she wants to be alone but safe and comforted at the same time. Her mom’s cafe. She walks up the door preparing to unlock it but as she places the key inside she notices the door was already opened, with caution she walks inside and looks around.

 

“Jisoo?”

 

Jisoo sits on the floor behind the counter, crying. She puts her hands over her face as Chaeyoung sees her and kneels next to her.

 

“Is this floor taken?”

 

The brunette nods as she takes a deep breath.

 

“What happened?”

 

You and Jennie happened. Me being a happened to both of my best friends happened.

 

“You know, just my parents as usual.” Jisoo says instead because yes that also happened, but she was kinda used to that, as much as it hurt, it was her usual. It’s the rest of the happenings that she has a problem with. “I once again thought they were gonna stay. But nope, they just leave money...again. God, I’m so stupid.”

 

“Hey, hey, hey, no, Choo.” Chaeyoung wipes her tears softly. “You are not stupid. You are really tough and honest and loyal. You are my favorite person, Choo.”

 

“Thanks.” She swallows and sniffles. “At least things are going well for one us.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs and leans her back against the counter. “Well… if it makes you feel better, that lasted all of about five minutes.”

 

Jisoo laughs in relief, she feels bad for her friend. But at the same time she can’t help but feel happy about it, which makes her feel even worse. The brunette leans her forehead against the other girl. “It doesn’t make me feel any better.” She gives her a caring kiss against her forehead as she pulls away. “Welcome back.”

 

“To where?”

 

“Normal.”

 

“Yeah. It’s just me and you, Choo. Let me help you close up.”

 

“No, thanks. I’ll do it. I… just want to be alone for a while.”

 

Chaeyoung turns to look at her with her ‘Are you sure face?’ making Jisoo laugh.

 

“I’ll be fine, you dork.” She said pushing her face away. “I’ll be okay. I’m okay.”

 

Looking at her for few second as if making sure she was telling the truth Chaeyoung nods and pats Jisoo’s hand on her lap. “All right. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“See you.”

 

---------------------Two Weeks Later---------------------

 

“Hey. How’s your ankle?”

 

Chaeyoung looks up from her locker and sees Jennie standing there, if it was someone else they’d think Jennie was calm and collected, simply talking to a friend. But Chaeyoung knew better, although Jennie looked calm the tight grip on the strap of her bag have her away.

 

“A lot better, how ‘bout you? How are you feeling?” The brunette answered casually, whatever was troubling the brunette was none of her business, only if Jennie wanted it to be.

 

“Like an idiot. I’m still sorry about it.” She said as she had gotten distracted during practice colliding with Chae and making her fall while twisting her ankle all though it was just a sprain it still looked bad. So Jennie felt guility. Also the fact that she pushed Chae away because okay it has been a couple of weeks since then but things seemed to be weird between them still which she doesn’t like.

 

“Look, Chae. You are okay with us being friends right?” Jennie comes out with it, just like that. “I mean, we are… we’re friends right?”

 

Ah, so that’s why you are nervous.

 

Chae smiles and nods. “As I have said before. We are.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“And I’m cool with it. And besides I was… I wasn’t ready for all that Jennie Kim/girlfriend drama anyway, you know?”

 

Jennie doesn’t know why but those words hurt, it’s true she tends to hide away her heart, and her feelings and it’s true she has a lot of baggage but she didn’t think someone would actually come out and say how tiring dealing with it… with her was.

 

Then again the brunette had been there for her a lot, never pushing just being there and listening to Jennie or even being on the receiving end of Jennie’s overall bad mood and not once did she complain yet Jennie pushed her away as if she was ungrateful. But what could she do? She was not ready for someone like Chae, she was perfect, caring, loving, patient and Jennie was… lost and broken so how could she be with her? She would just ruin it, people always leave anyway.

 

So it hurts but instead of saying something Jennie just nods. Speechless.

 

“Alright, talk to you later The taller brunette said closing her locker door and walking away.

 

When Chae walks away she starts walking towards her next class, going through a set of double doors speeding up when she sees Jisoo rounding a corner.

 

“Hey, Choo!” She calls her out as she manages to catch up to her. “I’ve got something for you”

 

Jisoo smirks. “I know you do, gorgeous.”

 

Chaeyoung feels stunned for a second, she could feel her cheeks blushing at the compliment. “Um…” She clears and looks through her bag taking a book out. “It’s the book we were talking about the other day. You said you wanted to check it out.”

 

“Oh, I definitely want to check it out.” She said subtly looking at Chae up and down, her heart fluttering at how the brunette got shy after her compliment, Jisoo thinks it was one of the things she liked so much about her best friend. “I suppose I could read the book too. But what are you doing for me?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well, I am reading one of the boring books you like, Chaeyoungie. So you are doing something for me.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“I don’t know. Something fun. Deal?”

 

“Okay. Deal.”

 

“See you at practice, Pasta.” Said Jisoo as she gave a quick kiss to Chaeyoung’s cheek.

 

-------------------------------

 

Practice was horrible.

 

At least for Jennie it was, she had to not only watch Chaeyoung dance in a y way, but also see how Jisoo was practically eating her with her eyes when she thought no one was watching. She had to see the brunette spending most of her time with Jisoo,laughing with her, hugging her, helping her.

 

Practice was great.

 

At least for Jisoo it was. Since the whole ‘I want you but not like that’ incident between Jennie and Chae, the taller brunette had been spending most of her time Jisoo, like old times. And Jisoo was static yet she also feeled a bit scared because those feelings of want, that need to be touching her best friend in one way or another where not going away and she had a pretty good idea why. Which scared her less.

When Chaeyoung goes to get her gym back before hitting the shower she’s ‘attacked’ by her best friend jumping on her from behind.

 

“All finished. It’s my turn.”

 

“Whoa, not so fast, Choo.” She said laughing and gently prying her arms away from her. “Did you like it?”

 

“Did I like it or did I read it?” Jisoo asked raising an eyebrow. “The book’s about how a guy loses his integrity and gives into temptation… typical guy behaviour if you ask me.”

 

Chaeyoung laughs .”Alright a deal’s a deal.”

 

“That’s right baby, a deal’s a deal.”

 

A deal’s a deal, which is why Chaeyoung lets herself follow Jisoo to a bar outside of town, she trusted her so she was sure Jisoo had something fun planned. Chaeyoung was happy. Yes Jennie rejecting her kinda hurt but at the same time Jisoo had been there since then and every time they were together Chae had nothing else on her mind. Her best friend was amazing in her own way.

 

“Here you go.”

 

“Thank you… Gretchen and Rose.” Said the bartender reading their fakes ID.

 

“I used your yearbook photo.” Said Jisoo to a surprised Chaeyoung.

 

The brunette chuckled. “You also used my english name.”

 

“Details, Pasta” Said the girl taking a hold of a pool cue, and easily knocking a ball into one of the wholes “Last name was different.”

 

“I didn’t know you could shoot pool. And I’ve known you my whole life.”

 

“You can thank my dad for that.” Said Jisoo knocking another ball in. “There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me still, Pasta”

 

“Oh yeah? Like what?”

 

“Like… I love it in the summer when there is heat lighting at night. And how I know you kept calling squirrels squirrlers like I did up ‘til the fourth grade because you didn’t want people making fun of me for not saying right.”

 

Chaeyoung laughs making Jisoo’s heart flutter for the nth time. “Will you look at that? Chaeyoung Park is smiling.” The brunette says with a teasing smile. “Is my Chaeyoungie actually having fun?”

“I have fun.” Chaeyoung defended herself, shoving the other girl lightly.

 

“Sure you do, Pasta. You are like the most serious person I know.” She said. “Always so broody with your books or your music.”

 

Chaeyoung scuffs and takes a big sip of her beer. “Does that make you happy?”

 

“A little.”

 

“Well, just as long as you don’t feel cheated. You read a book. I drink a beer. We’re even right?”

 

“Right.”

 

------------------------------------------

 

A couple of days later Jennie is having lunch with Irene at the quad watching the pair of best friends from a distance.

 

“Do you think second chances are a lie?” Said Jennie breaking the comfortable silence they were sitting in.

 

“Well it depends on who you are dealing with, I guess.” The other girl answered without looking up from her book.

 

“Yeah... “ She looks away from the pair. “How are things with you and Seulgi?” Seulgi being a fellow dance team member of theirs and also the current object of Irene’s affections.

 

“Um…” She places her book down. “Not so great. I don’t know what she wants us to be. Are we a couple? Are we just hanging out? Is it for ? Because if it is…”

 

“If it is what?”

 

“That’s not enough for me.”

 

“Bad experience?”

 

Irene looks up at her and shakes her head with a smile.

 

“What? Oh..Ooooh are you a ?”

 

“Yeah, so what if I am?”

 

Jennie smiles and waves her off. “Good for you.” She praises, making the other girl laugh, the brunette soon following. “So what are you going to do?”

 

“Try and get some answers I guess. That’s is if her attention isn’t stolen by whoever wins a date with her at the auction tonight.” Irene says. “You and Chaeyoung?”

 

Jennie sighs and looks down. “I’m not exactly ready for a relationship.”

 

“And her and Jisoo?”

 

“Jisoo likes her, and I’m sure is just a matter of time before she makes her move.” She said. Irene knew about the whole thing with Chaeyoung as they had become close friends. The brunette approaching her first as she knew what it was like to be the new girl and helped her navigate the new school so the two quickly became close.

 

“You… okay with that?”

 

The brunette shrugs as she glances once again to the two best friends. “She’s fair game. Plus, Jisoo is not really the dating kind if you know what I mean.” Jennie sighs again. “Is connecting with someone really this complicated, or is it simple and we just make it worse?”

 

“For me it’s complicated. You just make it worse.”

 

------------------------------

 

Jennie stood in front of Chaeyoung’s door nervously. She had been thinking about doing this for a while and watching everyone bid on the brunette tonight just made her jealous and realized that Chaeyoung could have anyone she wanted yet she chose Jennie before, and Jennie… well she wanted her back… if the taller girl still wanted her that is. She hope she wasn’t too late.

 

Taking a deep breath Jennie knocks on the door.

 

Chaeyoung is smiling when she opens up the door before frowning confused. “Jennie?”

 

“Hi.”

 

The brunette could see Jennie was nervous, the girl was playing with her hair and her other hand was tapping on her leg.“What’s up?” she asked. Once again not prying.

 

Jennie sighed. “Rosie. I made a mistake. When you said you wanted to be with me I got scared, but…”

 

“Jennie…”

 

The brunette holds up her hand. “But, the truth is, I want all the same things you want, I do. And I want them with you.”

 

“I kissed Jisoo.” Chaeyoung said and Jennie stared at her surprised and heartbroken, guess she was right and Jisoo made her move.

 

And so Jennie realized… she was too late.