Snapshot #11 The One Where Everything Falls into Place... or Almost Everything

Snapshots Of A Small Town

A/N: I still got some ideas for this universe, but I'm interested in knowing if there is anything specific you guys want to see/read?

-------

“Wow so you are really going all out for the promposal huh?”

 

“It’s not just a promposal.”

 

Seulgi was sitting with Chaeyoung the night before the championship, with prom approaching everybody was out there looking for their date. Seulgi already had a date, she’s has had a date for two years now and she couldn’t be happier. So the bear was going all out for prom, except she was not just asking her to prom oh no, Seulgi was actually giving her a ring.

 

“I can’t believe you are giving her a ring already.”

 

“Okay, is a promise ring.” She clarified. “The other kind of ring will be given later. Irene is the one for me. I know it.”

 

Chaeyoung smiled as she looked across the quad to look at Jennie. “I know what you mean And I’m happy for you.”

 

“Thanks, Chae.” She said sincerely. “You still gonna help me tomorrow right?”

 

“Of course. Should the coach still let me dance, I’ll take Irene out while you and Jennie get everything ready, so don’t worry, Seul everything will turn out fine.”

 

“I hope so.” The brunette mumbled. “Speaking of… how are you with the whole...you know.” She asked her hand doing motions around her chest.

 

Chaeyoung sighs. “My mom knows already told her last night. And I’m telling the coach today.”

 

“And Jennie?”

 

“What about Jennie?” Said girl walks towards them and sits besides Chaeyoung on the table with a small peck as greeting, Irene doing the same with Seulgi.

 

“Jennie looks very good today.” Chaeyoung says with a cheeky smile.

 

“Why thank you.” The brunette said.

 

“Are we still on for tomorrow?” Irene asked interrupting the staring contest the other two were having.

 

“And where do you think you are going with my girlfriend?” Jennie asked, of course she knew what the plans where but she still needed to play her part.

 

“Why that’s none of your business, love.” Chaeyoung said smiling then chuckling at the way her girlfriend gasped as if offended.

“Fine, I’ll spend the night with Seulgi then.”

 

------------------------------------

 

“Are you ready?”

 

“As I’ll ever be, I suppose.”

 

Chaeyoung and Irene sat outside of the coach’s office, Chaeyoung was sitting on a chair while her leg bounced up and down in a rapid pace nervously. Irene sitting down besides her calmly, and the brunette is glad because she’s pretty sure that’s the only reason she’s panicking right now.

 

“Why me?”

 

“Mmm?” Chaeyoung turned to look at the girl besides her.

 

“Why me? Why not Seulgi or Jisoo?”

 

Chaeyoung sighed. “Jisoo and I are not really what we used to be at the moment, I’m pretty sure Seulgi would blurt it out before I could even say anything and well…Jennie doesn’t know yet.” She sees the face Irene is pulling right now and quickly defends herself. “In my defense all of you found out on your own.”

 

Irene look quickly at the coach’s door as if making sure she’s not coming out right now and sighs. “Look here’s the thing...All these girls, Chae, they’d walk through fire for you. Remember when Jisoo was about to quit after your break up?” She receives a nod in response. “Remember what you told her?”

 

“It’s not just about us.”

 

“Yeah, and you were right.” She said her placing her hand on top of Chaeyoung’s bouncing leg. “You lying to everybody, is not fair, Chae. I know this must be hard for you and we are all here for you, you just have to let us.

 

Chaeyoung looks down and nods but before she could say anything the door to the coach’s office is opened and they are being asked to go inside.

 

“Coach, you got a sec?”

 

“Of course, please have a sit.”

 

“Um, I rather stand up if you don’t mind.” She says nervously.

 

“What’s going on, Chae?”

 

The brunette takes a deep breath and turns to look at Irene in support, who nods back at her as if saying ‘It’s okay’.

 

“I have a heart condition.” She blurts out. “I have HCM, and I haven’t been taking my medication, so that I wouldn’t slow down my game.” She confessed and just like it did when she told her mom, the extra weight she was feeling lessens in a seconds. “And if I keep dancing, I could die.” She pauses for a seconds as she watches the coach’s reaction, After receiving silence in response she continues. “I know how selfish I’ve been, I just didn’t want to leave dancing behind. Because it did change my life just like it did yours. And it’s gonna be hard to let it go. “

 

Coach Hyoyeon seems to think it over, taking a deep breath as she stands up from her desk and turns to look at the the window. “I know how hard this conversation must’ve been for you, Chae. And I can’t say I’m not angry or disappointed because I am.” She said turning around to look at the girl. “What you did was incredibly stupid and selfish and I hope you know that.” The brunette nods and looks down in shame. “Having said that you start taking that medication today, Chaeyoung, not tomorrow, not next week, today.”

 

“Yes, coach.”

 

She looks at the girl who seems to be painfully aware of her situation, and she knows how hard it is to lose a dream when you are young,. It’s her duty as coach to be there for them and guide them towards their future in the best way she can. “After tomorrow take the next two practices off, consider it punishment.”

 

Chaeyoung looks up in surprise, she was expecting to be kicked off but the coach was telling her she could still dance on the championship “Yes, coach.” is all she says though inside she wanted to say more than that.

 

“We’ll figure it out, Chae.”

 

----------------------------------------

 

At last if was finally D-day. The championship was happening today, if the Ravens win they’d go to the final and add one more trophy to the school’s shelf, another notch in coach Hyoyeon’s list of accomplishments.

 

While a team performed you could see on the sidelines different teams warming up or simply hanging out. For the Ravens it was warm up time. Jisoo and Jennie where sitting side by side without acknowledging each other. Both girls had their eye on the same person both for different reasons.

 

While one had a silly smile the other one had a worried look on her face, she could see the coach talking to Chae, and Jisoo was pretty sure the reason why. She looks subtle at Jennie and see’s the small smile she has on her face. Despite it all she’s glad they are finally able to be happy, she just hoped it would last.

“What did you ask for an non exclusive thing when Chae came to you?” Jisoo asked out of nowhere, which surprised the other girl as they haven't really spoken to each other in a while. Not at Jisoo’s insistence at least...

 

“Hello, the only friend I can trust.” Jisoo came in to Jennie’s room, her intentions clear. When Jennie turns around and looks at the girls face she realizes the reason of Jisoo’s visit.

 

“Jisoo…”

 

“Just say it, Jennie.”

 

Jennie looks down and hesitates for a second before saying the world out loud. “I’m in love with Chaeyoung.”

 

Jisoo sighs as she walks around the room angrily. “Why now? Why tell me you have feelings for Chaeyoung now? Do you have some sort of alarm in your head that makes you fall in love everytime Chaeyoung is happy with someone else?”

 

“Trust me, I didn’t wish for this alright? I swear I didn’t…”

 

Jisoo chuckles humorlessly. “I can’t believe this is happening again.” She mumbles to herself.

 

“It’s not!” Jennie says having heard the other girl and quickly tries to clear things out. “It’s not… it’s just, the last time…”

 

“The last time?!” Jisoo exclaims, her patience completely gone. “Do you hear yourself right now? The last time you tried to steal my girlfriend? She’s is in the door, Jennie.” Jisoo says as she walks to the closet wall where Jennie and her written their potential partners during summer.. “She’s on your goddamn door!”

 

“I don’t wanna steal her, okay?!” Jennie tries again.

 

“But you like her?”

 

“Jisoo, I’m not going to do anything about it okay? I’ll bury it.” She says, desperately wanting to keep this from ruining her friendship with Jisoo.

 

“Bury it?” Jisoo asked quirking her eyebrow. “You can’t, Jennie, it’s out. You could’ve bury it and not say anything. You could’ve kept it to yourself instead of telling my girlfriend and kissing her behind my back again. So what’s that about?”

 

“I don’t know alright? I… I just wanted to be honest with you. I didn’t want to make the same mistake I did last time. And… and you said yourself when Chaeyoung was away that you didn’t even miss her that much so…”

 

Jennie’s word are cut off in less than a second when Jisoo slaps her, hard. The brunette places her hand on her cheek staring at Jisoo in shock.

 

“Don’t you ing dare, Jennie! Don’t you dare twist my words around to make yourself feel better about your backstabbing, two faced , Jennie. Because you are.” Jisoo’s voice was hoarse what with the amount of yelling she was doing. “And you know it.”

 

“Jisoo, I’m…”

 

“Just stay the away from me, Jennie. I mean it.”

 

Jennie tried to get Jisoo to talk to her but at the end she had hurt the other girl too much, so she opted for respecting the other girl’s wishes. It’s probably another reason she didn’t want to accept Chaeyoung’s love declaration just like that.

 

Jennie looked down for a second before turning to Jisoo. “After you guys broke up… I told her the truth again, that I was in love with her, sober this time.” She clarified. “You know what she said to me?”

 

“What did she say?”

 

“Oh.”

 

“What?”

 

“She said, ‘oh’.”

 

Jisoo chuckled. “She can be a bit dumb sometimes.”

 

“Yeah.” Jennie said chuckling to before continuing. “Well, I probably shouldn’t have been surprised. I asked her once who she wanted next to her when all her dreams came true. She said you.”

 

“Why are you telling me this?” Jisoo asked frowning.

 

“Because I would have given anything to hear her say me. Because I need you to know that despite what happened, what you had last year it was real, at least for Chaeyoung it was.” Jennie said honestly. “I was hesitant to accept that she loved me back because for those first couple of months after your break up all she kept talking about was you. How was I supposed to believe she loved me?”

 

Jisoo said nothing and looked down. Because what was she supposed to say? You helped to break my heart yet I helped your girlfriend realize she wanted you and not me breaking mine even further? No. There was no use to that. Frankly Jisoo just wanted to finish her senior year without drama.

 

“Thank you.” Is all she said, but she said it honestly.

 

“You know I never meant my love for her to hurt you right?” Jennie said equally as honest.

 

Jisoo seemed to think it over for a second before nodding. “I know. But it still hard.”

 

“Do you think maybe we can go back to being friends?” Jennie asked quietly. “Like before?”

 

Jisoo sighed. “I don’t think so, Jennie. Like before is gone.”

 

Jennie said nothing but nodded anyway accepting of the reality. If it’s what Jisoo wanted then she’ll respect it. Is the least she could do.

 

-------------------------------------

 

The girls were huddled up together listening to their coach as they are about to head up to perform their piece.

 

“You have work so hard for this. You dance as team. Even if we lose this thing, it's still a damn fine moral victory. Now, maybe that's okay with you. Maybe you want to look back and tell your grandkids about the championship you almost won…”

 

“No way, we’re winning this thing, right, Jisoo?” Chae asks their team captain.

 

“You tell me.”

 

Chaeyoung looks at everyone and nods. “We are winning this.”

 

“You feeling good Park?” The coach asked.

 

“Never better coach.”

 

“Alright then, Ravens. Let’s win this thing.”

 

“Alright, on three.” Jisoo said placing her hand in the middle just like everyone else did and counted down. “One, two, three...”

 

“Ravens!”

 

It’s amazing, Chaeyoung thinks, how something that you prepare for week sometimes even months, spend countless of hours on can be over in a matter of minutes. Hundreds of practice hours all come down to a 10 minute performance. And after that you are done and onto the next.

 

Right now is the waiting game, their performance is over and they are all holding hands waiting for their name to be announced all with hope in their hearts. It’s all sudden one moment Chaeyoung is looking down and the next she’s looking up watching as confetti falls around them…

 

“It’s good! I don’t believe it! Riverfall Ravens are champions!”

 

“Joohyun!”

 

“You did it, Seul!”

 

“We did it, Hyun.”

 

The two girls hug excitedly pulling away shyly. On the other side and excited spectator comes close to celebrate with the team.

 

“Chae!”

 

“Jisoo! Can you believe it? We won!”

 

Jisoo pulls her in for a hug. “Yeah! This is a dream come true. Your first win as part of the dance team.” She pulls away and sees her best friend looking at her crush who was standing on the side looking at them with a small smile.

 

“Go.” Jisoo tells Chae. “It’s okay. Go.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles quickly at Jisoo and walks over to Jennie.

 

“Hey! Nice performance.” The shorter girl says as a greeting. She had watched the whole thing with Jisoo.

 

“Nice legs.” Chae said with a grin looking up and down to Jennie who was wearing a floral dress.

 

Jennie laughs and pulls her in for a quick hug. “Well I’ll be seeing you.”

 

Chaeyoung snaps out of her reverie when she feels herself being pull in for a hug by Joy who was jumping up and down in excitement. She looks around looking for Jennie and smiles when she sees her looking up and around with a smile as the confetti fell down around them .

 

The brunette walks closer to her until they are standing face to face. “Jen, It’s you.”

 

“What?” Jennie says looking at the taller girl.

 

“When all my dreams come true, the one I want next to me… it’s you. It’s you, Jennie.”

 

Unable to contain herself anymore the shorter girls jumps into the Chaeyoung’s arms and kisses with everything she has. The competition may not be the final yet, yes they won, but have one more step to go, but to Jennie just hearing those words from Chaeyoung and being here, in her arms, that was a dream come true.

 

----------------------------------------

 

After the exciting night, as much as Jennie wanted to celebrate with Chaeyoung, they had made a promise to Seulgi so here Jennie was with her, Joy, getting the place ready it wasn’t much it was simple, she had asked Mrs. Park if she could have the cafe for tonight, since this is the place where Irene and Seulgi officially met. The girl stills remember how her clumsy spilled her ice coffee all over Irene but instead of getting upset the girl calmed her frantic apologies and helped her clean up her mess. Seulgi knew she was Irene’s right then and there.

 

“Can’t believe you are proposing already.” Said Joy from where she was fixing the fairy lights.

 

“I’m not proposing, I’m just celebrating our anniversary and giving her a promise ring.”

 

“A promise of forever with a ring… that’s a proposal, Seul.” Jennie said with a smirk.

 

Seulgi shakes her head but says nothing. “Well, I know what I want, and I want her, forever so… promise ring or not the real proposal will come later anyway.”

 

Jennie smiles and admired the confident way Seulgi said those words, she envied how the girl was so sure of what she wanted the moment Irene came into their lives. She never once denied being attracted for the girl, she would constantly go on and on about her. She thinks about her relationship with Chae, and then she thinks about the confident way her girlfriend says that she’s the girl for her. And then she thinks about how she believes that to. She wonders if that’s what true love supposed to be. If that’s what fate is all about.

 

“I still remember when she asked you for the list of people you had with.” Joy said chuckling.

 

“Don’t remind me.” Seulgi answered with a groan, after the first night they had the fantasy draft happened and a bunch of people had chosen Seulgi as the perfect partner which cause a whole lot of jealousy problems with the other girl who in turn asked her to write down a list of everyone she had ever slept with. Not a nice thing to do.

 

“How did you fix that mess anyway?” Joy asked, her mind having war flashbacks to that very tense time in their lives.

 

“She made two lists.” Jennie answered for Seulgi. “One and I quote ‘With all the girls I have ever slept with.’ and another one which was the one Irene read that was called and I quote ‘All the girls I have ever been in love with’. Guess how many names where in that one.”

 

“Aww, Seul.” Joy said mockingly. “You really are a teddy bear,”

 

“Shut up.”

 

---------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung and Irene were walking from the movie theater after their movie, it was part of the plan, and a win to Chaeyoung if she thinks about it, nobody wanted to see the indie movie with her, but since Irene was lowkey a fan of those too, she figured she’d killed two birds with one stone. She’ll see her movie and she’ll distract Irene long enough for Seulgi to get things ready.

 

It was a chilly night, the wind blowing softly. Irene pulling her jacket closer to her while Chaeyoung walked with her hands on her pockets.

 

“Thank you for doing this with me.”

 

“I know how it feels to like weirds things that nobody else does” Irene said chuckling as they walked. “At least now I have movie buddy, Seulgi always falls asleep.”

 

“Seulgi is lucky to have you.”

 

At the mention of her girlfriends name Irene can’t help but smile. “I’m the lucky one.” She said softly.

 

“Do you see a future with her?”

 

Irene contemplates it for a seconds before answering. “I do. It’s kinda of dumb right? Being just 18 and being completely sure who you are spending the rest of your life with.”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head. “No, I don’t think it’s dumb.” She said honestly. “If your heart is a 100% sure then why should you doubt it?”

 

“Thanks, kinda needed somebody to tell me I’m not crazy.” Irene confessed.

 

“You are not, and for the record I’m pretty sure Seul feels the same way as you do.”

 

“I hope so.” SHe said quietly. “And you? How’s your heart feeling?”

 

“It’s fine, less heavy after telling the coach. Just missing one last confession which will happen tonight, so wish me luck.” Chaeyoung said as they stop at the street corner before they went their separate ways.

 

“She’ll be pissed, may curse you for a bit but after that I think you’ll be fine.” Irene said with a small laugh. “Well my car is over there.” She says pointing at the other side of the street.

“Mine is further down, that way.” She said pointing at her right. “Thanks again for tonight.”

 

“Thank you for inviting me and good luck.”

 

With that the two girls said their goodbyes, Irene waiting for the light to turn red so she could cross while Chaeyoung walked to her car.

 

It was sudden, she doesn’t know what happened or how. All she knows is she heard a car’s horn and a crash and next Chaeyoung knows she’s running as fast as she could to her friends who’s laying on the ground calling out her name, she can faintly hear someone calling 911. The words “Red light.” and “Drunk driver.” are being said. She can barely hear anything through their own thumping of her heart beating wildly on her chest.

 

She thinks she should be calling someone right now, maybe Seulgi or her parents, but her hands don’t seem to be working properly. She hears sirens close by and she doesn’t hear her own sigh of relief when two paramedics appear in front of her taking her of Irene.

 

“She’s been hit by a car. You got to help her.” She mumbles to the two paramedics.

 

“What’s her name?”

 

“Uh...uh, Joo...Joohyun.” She said, breathing heavily.

 

“How long since this happened?”

 

“I don’t know. A few…” She starts feeling as if her chest is being squeezed in a vice, her arm all the way to her shoulder starts feeling numb. “A f...fe….” She feels a sense of doom as her chest closed up and her body falls down on her back.

 

“Passed out.” One of the paramedic says. “I got her.” He presses his finger to her neck to check her pulse and pauses.”Hold on. Heart’s not beating.”

 

“I got a full cardiac arrest. Requesting back up.”

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

Have you ever wondered what marks our time here? If one life can really make an impact on the world? Or if the choices we make matter?

 

Jisoo is on her room when the new come.

 

“Jisoo.”

 

She turns around and sees Jennie standing by the door in her room.

 

“There’s been an accident. Chaeyoung and Irene are in the hospital. It’s bad, Jisoo.” She says her voice breaking. “It’s really bad.”

 

Jisoo stares at her in shock and although she’s doesn’t know what happened she knows the secret Chaeyoung’s been hiding finally caught up to her.

 

“Come on, I’ll drive.”

 

At the hospital Seulgi is sitting on the floor her knees to her chest, tears all dry from having cried too much.

 

“Family of Bae Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi sits up in a second and approaches the doctor quickly. “What’s happening? How’s Hyun?”

 

“Um, are you a family member?”

 

“Her parents are out of the county on the way here, they gave me authority. I’m her girlfriend.”

 

“Alright, she’s being prepped for surgery. She has multiple fracture of the legs, some head trauma, a possible collapsed lung, and a good deal of internal bleeding.”

 

The doctor is cold and precise and Seulgi tries with all her might no to collapse then and there, the only thing keeping her afloat is Joy’s hand in hers who’s standing next to her.

 

“We’re gonna do everything that we can, Right now our priority is saving her, okay?”

 

Seulgi sits again, this time on one of the chairs, holding her head with her hands. Joy placing an arm around her in comfort.

 

“Seulgi, Joy. How’s Irene?” Jisoo asks as they find the girl, as much as she wants to know about her best friend. Irene is also a close friend of hers.

 

“She’s in surgery.” Joy answers on behalf of the the girl. “We called her parents they are they’re flying from Korea tomorrow it was the earliest flight they could find.”

 

“And Chaeyoung?” Jennie asks from behind Jisoo.

 

“We don’t know. We are not family members so they won’t tell us anything.”

 

Jennie bites her lips as she tries not to break down. Jisoo takes a hold of Jennie’s hand in comfort as they both need it right now. “Her parents are on the way, we’ll find out soon, okay?”

 

Jennie looks at her friend and nods. As much as she wanted to barrel through that double door she needed to be patient right now and strong.

 

---------------------------------

 

By the next day Seulgi is beside Irene’s bed, the same she has been since the girl was brought in after surgery, holding her hand.

 

The body in the bed ticked and slept, breathed because of the tubes, twitched occasionally but not of her own volition. Seulgi sat there for so long that day and night became abstract concepts that didn’t exist in the tiny world of this hospital room. All that existed for them was moment to moment, heartbeat to heartbeat, one mechanical hiss of breath to the next.

 

“I’d be grateful if you could wake up, Hyun..” Seulgi whispered and craned forward, her lips resting against the knuckles carefully cradled in her palms. She takes out the ring she was planning to give to her and carefully places it on her finger. “There, now you have something to come back for, love. Sleep as long as you feel you have to, I’ll be here waiting.”

 

On the other room Jisoo sat in a similar place as Seulgi did but she was sitting next to Chaeyoung’s bed. The seat had recently been vacated by Mrs. Park who was outside speaking to doctor.

 

Jisoo reaches carefully for her friends hand. “I know you were having a rough time giving me space, but going into a coma so you can’t talk is a bit too much don’t you think?” She said as her voice broke a little. “If you could wake up soon that’d be great, sleeping on this chair is doing nothing for your mother’s back.”

 

As expected there is no response other than the sound of the T.V. where an old black and white movie is playing and the beeping of the machines. “You have to wake up, Pasta. We still have to fix our friendship.”



 

Halfway from the hospital was Jennie in one her safe havens, Jennie was looking through vinyls, wearing jeans and Chaeyoung’s favorite sweater, music plus the smell of her girlfriend was making this a bit more bearable.

 

“All right, step away from the Cure albums.” Max, the store owner, said as he walks out of the back room.

 

“Hi, Max.”

 

“Hi, Jennie. I heard about Chaeyoung, how’s she doing?” The guy asks standing next to the girl.

 

She sighs looking down at the vinyls. “It’s not so good. Irene’s not so good, Seulgi not so good. Nobody’s good. I guess I should be in church or something, but somehow I ended up here.”

“First time you ever came here, remember what you were looking for?”

 

“No, and hopefully you don’t either.”

 

“Like a Stone by Audioslave.” He said with a smirk. “At least that’s what you said you were looking for. I kinda always thought you were looking for a little faith.” He said shrugging.”But them again, I’m 32, and still living with my parents so what the hell do I know right?” He walks away to stand behind the counter.

 

And Jennie doesn’t know why but the tears start falling without her approval. “I just wanna believe everything we’ll be okay. Chaeyoung and Irene. I just really wanna believe.” She said, almost desperately

 

“Yeah, I know. Hey, I’ll tell you what. Middle bin, four albums in. That’s where you answers are.”

 

Jennie frowns and goes to look at the place he said pulling up the vinyl. “La Toya Jackson?”

 

“All right, five albums in.”

 

“La Rocca?”

 

“Track ten. It’s on me.”

 

She looks at the vinyl. “Non believer.” She whispers as she reads the name of the track, with a quick thank you she walks towards the door to leave until Max calls out to her again.

 

“And Jennie, you’re way too young not to believe it’s gonna be okay.”

 

I believe the faith will fill

Didn't know their way back

We're so far away from home

But brother you're not alone

 

And I promise to climb back

Up here to you

Waiting for this message

Coming through

 

--------------------------------------

 

After her visit to the the store Jennie headed back to the hospital and stands outside of Chaeyoung’s room she gets startled when Jisoo walks out.

 

“Thought you’d be here sooner.” Jisoo said, not accusing her but stating a fact.

 

“Guess I’m just scared of walking in, not a fan of hospitals.”

 

“I know.” Said Jisoo knowing how the girl felt about them after her mother’s death. “But it’s not gonna be like that this time, Jennie. You’re not gonna lose Chaeyoung and Irene the same way to lost your mom.”

 

“Or like I lost you? I miss you, Jisoo.”

 

“I’m still here.” The girl says simply.

 

“But not like before.”

 

Jisoo doesn’t answer. “I’ll go see Irene. The Parks are at the chapel. Room’s all yours.”

 

Jennie looks as her former friend walks down the hallway and then sighs looking at the door in front of her, with a deep breath she walks in and stares at her girlfriend who was lying unconscious on the bed, slowly she walks to sit beside her holding her hand, the other lovingly tucking a lose strand of her besides her ear.

 

“Hi, love.”

 

It was the annual bun fire by the beach, as you can expect all of Riverfall high school was there, Jisoo hadn’t been able to be there as she had a photoshoot for a local magazine, so without a girlfriend Chaeyoung had come with Seulgi and Irene as a third wheel.

 

Jennie was more than a bit drunk and there was someone clearly wanting to take advantage of that, luckily Chaeyoung found her on time the taller girl had been looking for her all night long and it wasn´t until she saw Kai suspiciously taking a very drunk Jennie to a secluded part of the beach. Having a bad feeling Chaeyoung followed them and sure enough Kai was trying to get his way with the shorter brunette. Chaeyoung pulled him away and took Jennie away from him.

 

After that Chaeyoung took the brunette home, when she got there she helped the girl walk to her door, but the shorter girl sat down on the porch pulling Chaeyoung with her and leaned her head on her shoulder.

 

Both girls stayed that way for a few moments, enjoying the silence. Until Jennie interrupted her.

 

“You’re always saving me.” She slurred.

 

“Somebody’s got to.” Chaeyoung said, she was looking up at the sky while the shorter girl looked up to her.

 

“Rosie..” The girl called out and Chaeyoung couldn’t help her look of surprise when she turned around and saw how close the other girl’s face was.

 

“If I say I love you right now, would you hold it against me?” She slurred quietly.

 

The taller girl could say nothing, surprise clearly shown on her face.

 

“Come here.” Jennie slurred again as she got closer and pressed her lips against the other girls. It was brief but the sparks were undeniable.

 

“Just in case I lose my courage later.” She said after pulling away.

 

Jennie sniffles leaning forward to be closer to Chaeyoung. She pulls out her phone and places the earphones on Chaeyoung’s ears pressing play.

 

“You’re always saving me. So please let me find a way to save you.”

 

------------------------------------

 

On Irene’s room, Seulgi sits by the bed still holding her hand.

 

“Hey baby, You know how you’re always telling me that you’re not going anywhere? Well, I need to hold you to that right now, okay? I just need you to come back to me.” She sniffles and presses a kiss to the back of the brunettes hand. “Just move one of your fingers if you can hear me okay? Just move one of those beautiful fingers and let me know that you’re still here with me.”

 

Waiting patiently and receiving nothing back Seulgi hangs her head, she’s trying to be patient and be hopeful but she feels stuck, because nothing’s happening, no news, no changes, nothing.

 

“Hey.”

 

Seulgi looks up and see’s Jisoo standing by the door. “Hey.”

 

“Have you eaten yet?”

 

Seulgi shakes her head. “Not hungry. I don’t think I can eat if I was anyway.”

 

Jisoo sighs and walks closer to her. “Tell you what, go to the cafeteria get one of those ice coffees you like so much and then come back, you’ll feel better I promise.”

 

“I don’t wanna leave her.”

 

“I’ll hold down the fort while you’re gonna and if something happens I promise to call you.”

 

Seulgi hesitates for a second looking at Irene in the bed, but at the end nods and after making Jisoo promise her to call her she walks out leaving the girl alone.

 

“Hey, it’s me.”

 

At the same time Jennie keeps talking to Chaeyoung.

 

“Look, I know you’ve got a lot going on right now, and just so you know, your mom’s a mess, with reason of course. I am mess.”

 

 

“Seulgi’s a mess. Well, you gotta wake up soon ‘cause I need you to take care of Jennie for me.”

 

 

“You’ve gotta wake up soon ‘cause I kinda need you and I also need you to take care of Jisoo.”

 

 

“I just… I can’t do it anymore. And it’s not like we can leave her with Chae, I mean I’m sure she’ll differ on that but she needs a place to escape to when my best friend does something dumb and pisses Jennie off. She also needs someone to tell her when she’s being the dumb one.”

 

 

“Besides, you’re really good for her. You’ve known her the longest so it’s only fair you get to keep her as your friend.”

 

 

“So what do you say, Bae? How about you wake up and help her out?”

 

 

“And could you not tell her we had this conversation? Thanks.”


 

-------------------------------

 

A week passes with no changes and Jisoo, Jennie and Seulgi had been visiting everyday after school.

“Rosie, I’m kinda getting tired of this chair so if you can please wake up to I can at least lay sit beside you on the bed that’s be awesome.”


 

 

“Hyunnie, I don’t wanna pressure you, but I kinda miss you. So can you like wake up, please?”

 

 

Another week passes.

 

“You better stop ing around and wake up now.” Jennie is pacing back and forth on the bed feeling guilty at her sharpness. “I’m sorry, I love you, but you’re really trying your hardest to worry me.”

 

….

 

“Damn it, Pasta! You better wake up. I swear to God if you leave this world without my permission I’ll ing disown you.”

 

….

 

By the time another week is about to start Seulgi stirred around three in the afternoon, certain that her hand was being squeezed.

 

“Baby?” She craned over and waited for something, anything. The girls parents we were also in the room now looking at the bed intently after Seulgi calls out for Irene.

 

The tube that breathed on her girlfriend’s behalf was suddenly gagged against and fought.

 

“That’s my girl!” Seulgi shouted and thumped the air with her fist as Irene’s mom hurriedly called for a doctor.

 

 

On another room Jennie and Jisoo sat, one girl besides the bed the other by the couch in silence, Jisoo bit her lip and stared at Jennie. Jisoo just wanted to finish her senior year without drama, but if she has learned anything from this is that she also wants to finish it with her friends

 

“Hey, Rosie. If you wake you I promise to take you to see all the stupid indie movies you want.” Jennie said softly, her hand caresing the girls head lovingly.

 

Jisoo smiled. “Jendukie.”

Jennie’s head snapped up to look at Jennie as she hasn’t heard that nickname in a very long time. “Yes?” she asked unsure.

 

“You know when you said if we could be friends like before?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“I know I said we couldn’t, and we can’t, at least not like before.” She said before pausing and walks towards the bed. “But maybe we can better.”

 

Jennie can’t help the happy chuckle escaping from and she turns to her girlfriend again.

 

“You hear that, Rosie?” Jennie asked. “Jisoo just forgave me. So now you have to wake up, so we can all three go see your stupid indie movies and I won’t get bored.” She said making Jisoo laugh. “Jisoo will pay, she has modeling money now so she’s rich.”

 

“No take backs.”

 

Both girls look at each other in surprise and then at then back at the brunette on the bed.

 

“Rosie?”

 

“I said no take backs.” The girl repeats groggily, her voice hoarse from being unused as she opens her eyes squeezing them again unable to handle the sudden light. Jisoo closes the blinds then and walks back to the bed.

 

“Chaeyoungie?”

 

Barely opening her eyes again she looks at Jisoo.

 

“You said you would disown me if I left without your permission.”

 

The three girls laugh and Jisoo places her hand on the bed leaning forward in relief.

 

“Yeah.” Jisoo chuckled. “I was about to. I’m glad I can still share my new found wealth with you.” She said quickly leaving a kiss on her best friends forehead. Sniffling and wiping her tears she head to the door. “Your parents left to your house to get some change of clothes. I’ll go outside to call your mom.”

 

Jennie watches Jisoo go and then places her attention back at Chaeyoung. “God, you scared me.” She said against Chaeyoung’s hand which she was still holding, tears of relief and happiness still rolling down.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung cracked, the shorter brunette reaching to the bedside table to get some water for the her girlfriend.

 

 

“I know you wanted me and Jisoo to be friends again, but Rosie, you kinda went to far with your tactics.” Jennie joked.

 

“I was desperate.” The girl responded with a tiny smile before taking a sip of water while Jennie held onto the glass and straw.

 

“We still need to talk about you hiding this from me.” Said Jennie, setting the glass back on the table and sitting back down again. “Don’t think you are of trouble yet.”

 

“Sorry, I just…”

 

“Shh, not now okay, we’ll deal with later.” Jennie placed her finger on Chaeyoung’s mouth effectively shutting her up. “I should get the doctor.”

 

“No.” Chaeyoung said holding with all her might Jennie’s hand. “I just want it to be you and me for a moment.” It was a weak hold and Jennie could’ve broken free easily but she couldn’t resist Chaeyoung’s sleepy smile right now so she sat back again.

 

“Really Pasta? Going into cardiac arrest and into a coma just to get us all three in the same room, desperate much?” Joked Jisoo as she walked back into the room.

 

“I told her the same thing.”

 

Jisoo smiled. “You parents are on the way, how you feeling Chaeyoungie?”

 

“Tired. Irene?”

 

“She’s okay. Pretty sure Seulgi will glue her hand with hers after this.”

 

“Good.” Is all the brunette says as the room falls quiet. The only sound is the TV still playing in the background, the remain that well for a while until Chaeyoung interrupts the silence.

 

“I can’t dance anymore, can I?” She asked quietly,

 

Jisoo and Jennie stare at each other for a second. “I don’t think so, Rosie.”

 

“What am I supposed to do now?”

 

Jisoo sits by the edge of the bed and grabs a hold of Chaeyoung’s other hand, just like Jennie was holding the other one, never letting go. “I’m not sure, but we’ll figure out, Pasta.”

 

“That’s Rosie, you have us here to help, we’ll figure it out.”

 

“Together.”