Snapshot # 3 - The One Where Happiness Is Found

Snapshots Of A Small Town

There is a stillness to the air as Jennie refuses to look at her. She looks at the sky and the trees and their interlocked fingers instead. Chaeyoung watches Jennie blink and then look away as if something else has pulled her attention, a soft smile tugging at .

 

Jennie reaches forward and places her hand against the stone. She isn’t sure why she does it but it feels like the right thing to do, automatic and respectful. The same thing she does every time she comes. That hasn’t changed. The one thing that changed though it was that this time she was not alone. Her wife was with her. They brought flowers, her mom’s favorite.

 

“Are you okay?” Chaeyoung asks her thumb doing soothing motions on the back of the other girls hand.

 

Jennie sighs and shrugs her shoulders like it is obvious. “I’m okay, I’m glad you’re standing here with me.”

 

The wait another ten minutes before she untangles her fingers from Chae’s, bringing them to to press a kiss against them. “Hi, mom.” She begins as she steps forward and crouches down. “I’m sorry I haven't been here lately, but I um… I wanted to introduce you to someone, two people actually.” She says as she pulls Chae to sit next to her, one hand holding the blonde’s and the other placed on her small bump. “I...this is Rosie, remember her? I talked to you about her a lot?”

 

Jennie turns to look at Chae nervously as if she was scared of seeing pity in her eyes, instead she sees understanding and love.

 

“Hi, Mrs. Kim.” Chaeyoung starts. “I’ve heard a lot about you too. Um… I’d like to start apologizing for hurting your daughter so much… I was an idiot.” Jennie chuckles and places a kiss on her cheek, her eyes glassy from being here and from the amount of love, care and respect Chaeyoung is showing right now. “But I… well I’m doing my best for making it up to her and I uh… I hope that wherever you are you get see and feel how much I love your daughter.”

 

Jennie smiles as her heart flutters. “You have to forgive her too, mom, she was willing to die with me and my recklessness.”

 

Chaeyoung laughs as she recalls the memory, her friendship if you could even call it that with Jennie still brand new…

 

High School Sophomore Year

 

Chaeyoung is outside her mom’s cafe reading as usual, she then hear to a car speed up and when she looks up she see a convertible mercury comet speed up a red light. Frowning she stands up and jogs towards the corner to watch the car speed down the street through every single red light.

 

She knows who that car belongs car and she has also seen Jennie’s drawing, it was during their tutoring lessons, Jennie dropped her notebook as the drawing fell out. It was four panels, a traffic light in each of then, the first one with a green light, the second light with the yellow light, third one with the red light, and the last one all three lights where red with the words ‘People Always Leave.’ written on top of it. So Chaeyoung figures it must be Jennie.

 

The next day when she sees Jennie stopped at a green light again, Chaeyoung hurridley makes her way to her, leaning forward on the passenger window.

 

“Why do you do this?” She asked. Getting no response. Jennie just kept grabbing the wheel tight and staring ahead. Sighing Chaeyoung jumped in the car with her.

 

“If I were you, I’d get back out now.” She said still looking ahead.

 

“Not until you tell me what’s going on.”

 

As if on queue the light turns red and Jennie presses the gas pedal, driving through it, doing the same with the next one and the next one, not once stopping.

 

Chaeyoung holds on tight for dear life. “Come on! Jennie slow down! Slow the car down! Jennie?!” She exclaims looking at the red lights and then at Jennie who seemed intent of just driving through them all, the cars beeping at her, yelling it at her but it didn’t seem to matter to the girl it seemed.

 

“It happened seven years ago.” Jennie starts, her voice cold remaining, still pressing on the gas pedal. “She was driving to school to pick me up. She was late, so she ran a red light. One red light.” She swallows, her eyes glassy. “It was one light at the wrong split of second and it ended for her.”

 

Chaeyoung says nothing, she only looks at her as Jennie finally slows down and stops, turning to look at the brunette her eyes showing how broken she felt over the whole thing, her voice breaking a bit. “My mom ran one red light. I run them all the time and nothing happens. It’s not fair.”

 

“No it’s not.” Chaeyoung agrees softly.

 

“You can get out now.”

 

“Or I can stay if you want.”

 

Jennie hesitates for a split of second. “No. You can’t.”

--------------------------

 

The following day Chaeyoung is jogging by the bridge when she sees Jennie sitting on a bench her head down her notebook drawing again probably.

 

“Hey, I’ve been thinking about you.” Chaeyoung approaches her and takes off her earphones, the shorter girls turns to look at her closing her notebook.

 

“Try a cold shower.” Chaeyoung grins in amusement, already getting used to the other girls humor. “Sorry.” Jennie says sheepishly. “You set yourself up for that one.”

 

“Yeah. I guess so.” The brunette chuckled as she sat down. “How you doing?”

 

“Let see, um, I broke up with my boyfriend. My mom’s dead and my dad’s away on a job.”

 

“What’s your dad do?”

 

“Captain on a dredging boat. He’s only here during those ed up anniversaries but this year he sent his sympathies in e-mail.”

 

“I’m sorry, you know if there was anything I could to bring back your mom I would.”

 

“Thanks” Jennie said honestly looking at her. “I gotta go.”

 

“Jennie…”

 

Jennie interrupted her. “Don’t ruin it.”


 

Present Day

 

“Oh yes. Did you know your daughter is a bit tough to crack Mrs. Kim?”

 

“Hey!” Jennie laughed and shoved her lightly. “I gave you a mixtape as a thanks.”

 

Now it was time for Chaeyoung to laugh. “Oh yeah, baby, that made everything right.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

When both girls calmed down Jennie took Chaeyoung’s hand and placed it on her baby bump, the blonde moving her thumb back and forth.

 

“Um… remember I said there was two people you needed to meet, mom?” Jennie said, her eyes glistened as she turned to Chaeyoung who was looking at her lovingly with a smile, making Jennie draw out a smile of her own. Sniffling Jennie takes out a picture from her bag and places it by the grave next to the flowers.

It was a copy of the ultrasound they went to yesterday. Jennie wanted to know the gender before hand and asked for a few copies of the ultrasound as she wanted to bring one to her mom.

 

“This is Ella. She’s so excited to meet you.”

 

Both girls stay quiet for a few minutes, nothing but the sound of the wind caressing the trees could be heard. Chaeyoung turned and kissed the brunette’s temple lovingly. “I’m going to start the car, you should take a few minutes to yourself.”

 

Jennie watches until Chaeyoung disappears out of view and lets out a sigh.

 

“You were right y’know, Mom. Chaeyoung is a keeper and she loves me… us more than I can explain.”

 

She raps her knuckles against the stone again when Jennie looks upwards a bird is delicately bouncing back and forth along one of the thick branches of a tree and then after a few seconds later the bird is gone, swooping down towards her and then back upwards into the sky.

 

“I knew you’d approve.”

 

--------------------

 

By the time she gets back to the car she’s sees her blonde wife standing by the car, waiting for her.

 

“I’m here,” Jennie calls as she walks and Chaeyoung’s attention flies up to the brunette from her phone. The brunette tugs at the collar of her wife’s leather jacket to bring her closer and then kisses her, both girls smile into it.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” The blonde asks when she finally pulls away resting her head against Jennies own. “I know how much you miss her.”

 

“I do miss her, but I have you and we have little Ella coming so I’d say that’s pretty awesome.”

 

“It is.”

 

Jennie hums in agreement, cupping Chaeyoung’s cheeks in both of her hands placing a chaste kiss on her lips. Silently thanking any higher powers that exist for bringing Roseanne Park into her life. Her mother left her first, but she left her with an angel who loves her, takes her of her, protects her, an angel who is her home.

 

Right now everything is great and Jennie is finally happy.