Chapter 18 (Changmin)

Blessings from Blizzards?

 

Changmin

 

            Robyn ran to catch up with Changmin.  How did he walk so fast in this snow?  It must’ve been those long legs of his.  She had almost caught up to him when she tripped on a branch under the snow and face-planted.  Great.  That was just what she wanted: to have a face full of snow because she had one of her many clumsy moments in front of an already smug Changmin.  She laid there with her face still in the snow for a few moments.  A hand grabbed her arm and pulled her to a sitting postion. 

            “Clumsy, aren’t we?”  Changmin was smirking at her.  Why?  Why did Changmin have to make this day worse?  She felt her eyes watering.  Changmin sighed and brushed the snow off her face.

            “Are you okay?”  Robyn looked up at him, angry.

            “Why do you care?”  She stood up, yanked her arm out of his hand, and started walking off in the direction she thought was the correct one.  Changmin sighed again and caught up to her.

            “I’m sorry, okay?”

            Robyn ignored him.  Just because something may or may not have happened between them last night, it didn’t mean he could play with her like that.  She was almost past the point of caring that he had saved her from the blizzard.  He grabbed her arm and yanked her around.

            “I said that I’m sorry.”

            “I don’t care.”

            “Well, I do.”

            “You shouldn’t.  Let go.”  He let go of her arm.

            “You’re going the wrong way.”  Gee, thanks.  Don’t just tell me I’m headed the wrong way, grab my arm and yank me around.  Just like in the dramas.  I hateit when the guy in the dramas does that.  It was worse when it happened to her.  She crossed her arms and waited for him to tell her what way to go. 

            “Come on.  The hotel’s this way.”  He shook his head and started off towards the lodge.  Jerk.  Robyn waited for him to get a few feet ahead before following at what she considered to be a safe distance away.  There was at least six feet in between them. 

            They had been walking for almost an hour before she finally spotted the hotel.  About time.  She had been wondering if they really were headed in the right direction or if Changmin had just decided to get her lost again.  A hot shower, that’s what she wanted right then.  A chance to get clean, to wash her hair, and just soak under the water for a little while.  That’s it, no more.  And it was all in her room in the hotel, just a few more steps away.  She ran straight into Changmin’s back.  Ow.  Why did he stop? 

            “We can’t go in the front.”  He had turned around and kept her from falling by grabbing her shoulders.  Now, he kept her from getting around him the same way.

            “Why not?”

            “The hotel staff can’t see us come in.”

            “They’ve probably already seen us.  We’re in full view of the lobby.”

            “Regardless, we’re going around to the back.”  He slid one hand down her arm and took her hand in his.  It was a remarkably intimate gesture.  She stared at him in shock.  But, he just pulled her along as he walked around the hotel.  As soon as they were inside, Robyn pulled her hand away and took off up the stairs towards her room.  She wanted nothing more to do with Changmin and his ‘interesting’ night. 

            When she got inside, she noticed that Shandi was in the shower.  Darn.  Depending on when she got in, it could be another hour before Shandi got done with her shower and out of the bathroom.  What was Robyn going to do for an hour?  She sighed and called her dad to let him know she was alright.  She didn’t want to go over to his room, mainly because she knew she was going to get yelled at.  She was right.  He yelled for a good ten minutes before Robyn finally got fed up and hung up on him.  He had good cause to be upset with her, but did he really have to say the same things over and over again?  Shandi was still in the shower, so Robyn grabbed one of the many books she had brought with her and settled down to read.

 


 

            Changmin watched Robyn dart up the stairs, eager to be away from him.  He sighed for what felt like the hundredth time since the blizzard started.  He knew he had handled the situation this morning badly.  He just couldn’t bring himself to apologize for it.  Plus, it was kind of fun to see what annoyed her and what jokes she took too seriously.  He could tell that he had worried her with his insinuation that something had happened between them during the night.  Of course, nothing had happened.  Although, different scenarios had played in his mind throughout the night.  He really needed to stop watching .  It made situations like last night a lot more difficult than they needed to be. 

            Yunho stepped out of the stairwell after Robyn had blown by.  She hadn’t even noticed he was there in her rush to get away from Changmin. 

            “You okay?  You look upset.  Did she say something to you or did you say something to her?”

            “It was me.”

            “You going to tell me what went on in the cabin last night?  Or do I have to get Jaejoong and Yoochung to pester you until you tell?”

            “I’ll tell you in the room.  Not here.”  With that, Changmin started up the stairs.  His room was on the third floor, right next to Robyn and Shandi’s.  He knew that from when Yunho walked Shandi back to the hotel.  As he opened the door to the room he shared with Yunho, he thought about Robyn’s reaction to his hand on her arm earlier.  She hadn’t pulled away immediately.  That was a good sign, wasn’t it?  Why did he care, anyway?  She was just a fan, albeit one whose life he had saved.  He felt his face warming at that thought.  He had seen pretty much all of the girls during the process of saving their lives.  Not that he enjoyed it, that much.  Okay, maybe a little.  But he was a male.  What male wouldn’t enjoy that?  It wasn’t anything more than that.  Was it?  The door closed and Yunho walked over to sit on one of the beds.

            “Okay, spill.  Why were you and the girls when we found you?”

            Changmin sat on the other bed.  “Their clothes were soaked through from the snow and they were freezing.  If I hadn’t undressed them and warmed them up, they would’ve died.  They were already unconscious when I did it.”

            “Okay.  That doesn’t explain the awkwardness between you and, what’s the girl’s name?”

            “Robyn.”

            “Yeah, Robyn.  What happened between you two?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Nothing?”

            “I promise.  Nothing happened.”  Yunho sighed.  Changmin could tell what Yunho had to be thinking:  obviously, somethinghad happened.