Chapter 15 (Jaejoong)

Blessings from Blizzards?

 

Jaejoong

 

             Jaejoong rolled over, or at least he tried to.  Something was holding him down.  He opened his eyes.  Robyn and Shandi both had their arms around him and their heads on his shoulders.  He smiled.  They were more than a little cute when they weren’t stalking him.  He laid still for a few minutes.  The wind was still howling outside the cabin.  But, at least he wasn’t cold any longer.  It felt really nice to have the two girls that close to him.  He gently shook his head, careful not to wake them.  That was a dangerous line of thought. 

            He felt Robyn stirring again.  She woke up a lot during the night.  He guessed she was light sleeper.  She yawned and stretched against him, forcing Jaejoong to try to take firm control of his thoughts.  The key word was try.  He only had minimal success.  He squeezed his eyes shut until she stopped.  That was a lot harder than it should have been.  He opened his eyes again.  Robyn had laid her head back on his shoulder, but she hadn’t gone back to sleep.  She sighed quietly.  If Jaejoong hadn’t been listening for something, he wouldn’t have heard it all.  It seemed like Robyn thought he was still asleep.  He kept his eyes closed.  He could feel her staring at him.  He decided to pretend to be asleep for the time being.  His thoughts went spinning in that dangerous direction again when Robyn got out of the blanket, causing his hand (his arm had still been wrapped around her waist) to cover a lot of distance on her bare flesh.  It took him a long moment to get his thoughts under control again.  He heard her putting more logs on the fire and peeked out from under his eyelashes to see what she was doing when she didn’t immediately return to the blanket.  She was sitting with her back to him, the glow of the fire illuminating her silhouette.  Her hair, now dry but a lot curlier than it had been before the lake, cascaded down her neck to the tips of her shoulder blades.  Jaejoong could just barely make out the few streaks of blue she had added to her light brown hair.  On most people, the effect would probably have been ridiculous; but on her, for some reason, it seemed to fit.  Strange, how he hadn’t noticed the blue before. 

            Robyn sighed again and made as if to get up.  He quickly closed his eyes and checked his breathing.  It was steady.  Good.  She would probably still think he was asleep.  He heard her move towards him and felt her climb back under the blanket.  He almost smirked when she snuggled back up to him.  But, he didn’t.  He could feel her eyes on his face and knew she was watching him ‘sleep’.  After all, there was a reason why he had a lot of pictures of him sleeping during photo shoots.  His fans just liked to watch him sleep.  He used to think it was a little creepy, but he didn’t mind that Robyn liked it.  Even though he had been very unnerved by the girls at first.  After what seemed like an eternity, Robyn laid her head back on his shoulder.  He felt her breathing deepen and knew she had fallen asleep again.  He opened his eyes.  The fire, which had been close to going out when he first woke up, was now burning brightly in the small fireplace.  Jaejoong looked down at the girls.  The firelight provided excellent lighting to study their features.  Both girls were extremely pretty.  He found himself staring at Robyn’s face a lot more than Shandi’s.  There was something about her that drew him in, made him think about reaching out and touching the soft features of her face.  He almost wished she would open her eyes so he could see the beautiful blue gems sparkling in the firelight.  He remembered how pretty her eyes were in normal lighting, and he could only imagine how the firelight would enhance them.             

            Jaejoong stayed awake, staring at Robyn, throughout the rest of the night.  He found that if he didn’t keep his arm around her, she would toss and turn.  But she slept peacefully as long as he held her.  He smiled at that.  He didn’t know he could have that affect on someone.  He had only read about it in books and didn’t think it really happened.  But, here was living proof of it.  It made him curious as to what other affects he could have on her.  He would have to play with it some more after they got back to the lodge.  The members were planning on staying at least another week before heading back to Seoul.  That would be plenty of time to sate his curiosity.  As the fire dimmed again, he could see the cabin brightening.  It was just after sunrise.  The wind had slowed about fifteen minutes before.  The blizzard must have run its course and moved on.  That gave them thirty minutes to an hour before someone found them, judging on how far he thought they had walked before the girls fell in the lake.  Should he wake the girls now, or let them sleep a little longer?  The question was answered, at least for one of them, when Robyn opened her eyes and yawned, blinking in the sunlight streaming into the cabin. 

            “Is the blizzard over?”  She had seen that he was awake.

            “I think so.” 

            “Good.  Close your eyes.  I’m going to get dressed.”  He mentally rolled his eyes.  It wasn’t as if he hadn’t seen pretty much everything the night before when he was undressing them.  He nodded and closed his eyes anyway.  She got up and walked over to the woodpile.  He looked up at her when she groaned in dismay.  Her back was to him.

            “What’s wrong?”  She jumped and turned around.  She blushed furiously and tried, most unsuccessfully, to cover herself with her hands when she saw his eyes were open.

            “I told you to close your eyes, Jaejoong!” 

            “I’ve already seen everything anyway.  Last night, remember?  How else do you think you got undressed?”  He closed his eyes again and mentally smirked.  He did like the view.  Robyn groaned again.

            “Ugh.  Don’t remind me.  I don’t want to think about it.”

            “Anyway, you never told me what was wrong.”

            “My clothes are disgusting.  I don’t know what was in that lake, but it’s filthy.  Shandi’s are ruined, too.  Yours look fine, except for your jacket.”

            “Oh.  I did notice some kind of slime on your clothes when I pulled you out of the lake.”

            “It’s probably some kind of algae.”  She said ‘algae’ in English.  He had never heard of that word before. 

            “Al-gee?”

            “Umm.  Tiny…how do you say it?  Bacteria?  Well, they’re not bacteria.”  She switched completely to English.  “They’re eukaryotic, photosynthetic microorganisms.  Bacteria are prokaryotic.  And, some algae are multicellular.  Bacteria are all unicellular.  At least, I think they are.  But, I believe most ‘slime’ in lakes and ponds are algae.” What in the world was she saying?  He couldn’t help it.  He opened his eyes and stared at her.  That was not a good idea.  He had to duck quickly as one of the smaller logs on top of the woodpile went flying at his head.  Did she really just throw a log at him? 

            “Why do you keep looking at me?”  She had gone back to speaking in Korean.

            “Wh-what’s going on?”  Joy.  Shandi had woken up.  She screamed and pulled away from him, taking the blanket with her.  Robyn’s eyes locked onto Jaejoong’s and widened.  Well, now she had seen all of him, too.  Maybe now, they would be even in her book.  There were a few moments of commotion, during which he had to dodge several more logs.  Finally everything settled down with both Robyn and Shandi huddled together under the blanket.  At this point, the blanket was more for modesty than warmth.  He shook his head.  Women.  Even growing up around seven older sisters had not taught him why all women were weird.  He glanced at the girls.  They were both looking away from him, their faces bright red from blushing so much.  He smirked.  He should probably put some pants on.