Chapter 13 (Changmin)

Blessings from Blizzards?

 

Changmin

 

            It had taken Robyn all of ten minutes to go back to sleep once she decided her friend wasn’t in any danger.  As annoying as she was, Changmin thought she was really pretty.  And, it wasn’t too often he met a girl whose sense of humor was similar to his.  Most girls were either intimidated by him or they liked someone else (namely Yunho).  Yunho seemed to have no problem getting girls to like him.  That was something he had always been jealous of.  He sighed.  Thinking about her like that was probably not a good thing while they were in this situation.  It made it all too easy to think about other things.  He shook his head.  He would not think about other things. 

            The girls snuggled up closer to him in their sleep.  Changmin flushed and got out of the blanket.  Man, but it was hot in the cabin.  He sat down against the wall furthest from the fireplace.  The freezing air blowing in from the cracks in the wall didn’t feel as cold as it should have.  He buried his face in his hands.  What was he going to do about this situation?  When the blizzard stopped, everyone would be looking for them.  What if the wrong people found them?  This would look really bad to anyone.  And, if it got out that he had spent the night locked in a cabin with two girls, it would be even worse.  He sighed again.  He could only hope his hyungs found him first.  Robyn stirred.  She seemed to toss and turn a lot more now that he wasn’t in the blanket with them. 

            “Changmin?”  Her voice sounded groggy.  It had only been an hour or so since he got up.  Why did she have to wake up and disturb his peace?

            “I’m here.”  She sat up and looked around for him. 

            “Why are you over there?”  It seemed she was still half-asleep.  She probably didn’t even know what she was doing. 

            “Why do you care?”

            “You’re going to get cold.”

            “That’s kind of the point.”  He didn’t really want to have this conversation with her.  It was bad enough she and her friend had caused this mess.  Why did she continually bother him?

            “I’m cold.”

            “Snuggle with your friend.”  They were warm enough.  They didn’t need him there to share warmth.  She laid part of the way back down, but still faced him.  It was almost like she was pleading for him to come back.  He felt his face get hot again.  Stop it.  She probably doesn’t even know what she’s doing.  You heard her earlier.  She would never act this way in front of you on purpose.  He sighed.  It was as if she doing this to him on purpose.  Maybe she was, and this was her new way of getting under his skin.  Well, it was working.  Just, probably not in the way she wanted.  He got up and walked back over to them.  It wouldn’t be so bad if he laid with them for a little while.  He hoped.

 


 

            Robyn awoke with a start.  She noticed two things immediately:  the blanket was empty, and sunlight had flooded the cabin.  The blizzard must’ve stopped.  She stayed where she was for a moment.  Where had Changmin and Shandi gone?  Did they just leave her in the cabin by herself? 

            “So, the sleeping beauty finally awakes, huh?”  She opened her eyes and looked around to see Changmin, fully dressed in fresh clothes, staring at her from the back wall.  How did he get fresh clothes?

            “What-?”

            He interrupted her, “You’re friend, Shandi, woke up when Yunho and the others found us.  She’s already on her way back to the lodge.”  Robyn stared at him for a moment, more than a little confused.

            “So, why are we still here?  And where did you get those clothes?”

            “Yunho brought them to me, and I told them to let you sleep for a little while.  You didn’t seem to sleep very well last night.”  He smirked at her and she flushed.  What could he possibly have meant by that?

            “Oh, you don’t remember?”  Changmin’s smirk grew wider.  He was playing with her.  She wouldn’t have done anything bad, would she?  She started to get a little worried.  She had been feeling a little out of it during the blizzard.  What if she had done something to Changmin?  She looked down.  She was ?  Her eyes widened in fear.  What had happened?

            “Don’t worry.  I’ll fill you in on the details later.  For now, let’s just say it was a very interesting night.”  He threw a bundle of clothes in front of her.  “Put these on and come outside.”  With that, he walked out of the cabin, still smirking.  Robyn was frozen in shock.  Shandi wouldn’t have let anything happen, would she have?  What if Shandi wasn’t conscious and couldn’t stop it?  Robyn didn’t think Changmin would be the type to take advantage of her confused state, but he was male.  Maybe something did happen.  She was really close to panicking.  Why else would he have been so cocky?  Suddenly, the blanket didn’t feel like much protection from prying eyes.  She grabbed the clothes (which happened to be the same ones she had worn the day before) and dressed as quickly as she could.  They smelled like wood smoke, but it was so nice to have clothes on again that she didn’t mind the smell.  She didn’t want to leave the cabin.  If she did, she’d have to face Changmin.  But, if she didn’t, he might come back in.  She fought with herself for a few minutes.  Her conclusion was that it would be far worse to face him alone in a confined space than outside in the open.  Nothing happened.  With that resolve, she opened the door and stepped out into the sunlight. 

            She ran right into Changmin.  Apparently, she had taken too long for his taste and he was about to come and check on her.  She nearly fell, but he caught her and steadied her.  There was an awkward moment where he held her against him before she pushed herself away from him.  He sighed.  What did that mean? 

            “I don’t need your help, Changmin.”

            “Sure you don’t.  That’s why you were the one to save me last night.”  Robyn glared at him.  He didn’t have to shove it in her face, like he had done her such a great service.  A part of her mind whispered that he had, in fact, saved her life and that she owed him, but she quickly shoved it back into the dark corner it had come from.  She might owe him, but she didn’t have to like it or be nice to him. 

            “Come on.  Let’s get back to the lodge.  We have some explaining to do.”  He turned and walked off.  Explaining?  What explaining?  She and Shandi had just gone out to play in the snow.  No one had told them that there was a blizzard coming.  And certainly, no one had told Changmin to come save them.  She groaned.  Her dad was probably going to kill her before sending her body back to America, never to leave Texas again.  That was if he didn’t find out about Changmin and whatever she had supposedly done to make his night ‘interesting’.  It would be so much worse if her dad discovered that.  What was she going to do?

            “Hurry up!  I’m not waiting for you forever, and I’m willing to bet that you don’t know the way back.”  Changmin was already a good hundred yards ahead of her and still walking.  That was what he called waiting?  And she thought she was impatient.