Chapter 12 (Yunho)

Blessings from Blizzards?

 

Yunho

 

            It really didn’t help that Yunho thought the girl in his arms was very attractive (for someone he was sure was underage).  He tried to ignore what he was doing.  He really did.  It didn’t help that the girl was still awake and blushing furiously.  She was obviously attracted to him, too.  She had closed her eyes and was trying to pretend that she had fallen asleep.  He knew better.  Every now and then, his hands would brush some part of her that was embarrassing and she would blush, her heart racing.  Of course, they were close enough that he could feel her heart beating and her breathing increasing.  He mentally shook himself.  He should stop thinking about what he was doing, what his hands were touching, what he was feeling.  If he had been the cursing type, he would have cursed.  How did he get into this mess in the first place?  He just had to follow that fool of a girl out into the snow, didn’t he?  But, the joy on her face when she first felt the snow had been a sight to see.  That brought his mind back to the present.  He really should think of a better topic to keep his mind off her. 

            Shandi pulled away from him.  “I’m warm, now.  It’s okay, you can stop.”  She was still blushing.  Yunho couldn’t see it so well in the flickering light of the fire, but he could feel the heat rush to her face.  He didn’t trust himself to speak just then, so he nodded and laid his hands by his side.  He wondered if he should sit on them to keep them from going back to her. 

            “Well, it doesn’t sound like the blizzard’s going to stop any time soon and we’re both warmed up.  So, we should try to get some rest.”  She laid down, pulling most of the blanket down with her.  She reached up and pulled on his shoulders to get him to lie down as well.  He let her pull him down.  It was all he could do to not take her in his arms and hold her the rest of the night.  The mantra, she’s a minor, she’s a minor, helped keep him from going with what his body was telling him to do.  It also helped that (aside from the blushing and heart racing) she seemed comfortable in his arms.  Shandi seemed to really trust him.  It was her trust the he wouldn’t take advantage of her that helped him ignore the darker parts of his mind. 

            Wait a second.  She had been rambling on about hospitals for the last few minutes.  Yunho hadn’t really been paying attention, mainly because he was so focused on not focusing on her.  Why did she seem so knowledgeable about the inner workings of hospitals? 

            “Hold on.  How do you know that?”

            “I told you earlier, I’m a nurse.  It’s what I do.  It’s really stressful.”

            “They let you become a nurse that young in America?”

            “Umm…I’m 23.  That’s not that young.”

            Well, so much for her being a minor.  Suddenly, it was so much harder to ignore her.  Why did she have to be telling the truth earlier?

 


 

            After she told Yunho her age, an awkward silence fell between them.  Shandi turned away from him, hoping to make the awkwardness go away by not looking at him.  The silence stretched on for almost an hour before she managed to go to sleep.

 


 

            When she woke up to the sound of something banging on the door, there was light shining through the gaps in the logs of the cabin.  The blizzard had passed.  Shandi was lying pretty much on top of Yunho, with his arms wrapped around her.  She didn’t want to move, fearing that she would wake Yunho up if she did.  This arrangement was actually rather pleasant, and she didn’t want it end just yet.  She heard something metal sliding against wood and more sunlight streamed into the cabin. 

            “What do we have here?”  She knew that voice.  That snarky tone?  It had to be Changmin.  He just had to ruin her moment, didn’t he?  Shandi looked up and blinked in the light not blocked by Changmin’s form standing in the doorway. 

            “What?  What’s wrong?  Is Yunho-hyung in there?”  Was that Yoochun’s voice, too?  Oh no.  Why did they have to find her?

            “Oh yes.  Yunho-hyung’s in here.  Along with a friend.  Remember that girl from earlier?  Shandi, was it?”  Shandi couldn’t see it, but she knew Changmin had a smirk plastered on his deer-like face.  “I think we need to do some damage control.  Yunho-hyung looks okay, but you need to go get the van.  The last thing we need is the wrong person to see this.”  She heard several sets of feet go crunching off through the snow.  Changmin stepped all the way into the cabin and shut the door.  Just her luck.  She laid her head back on Yunho’s shoulder.  She had a feeling that today was going to be worse than yesterday.  Changmin bent down so that his face was directly above her.  Man.

            “Yunho-hyung?”  Changmin shook Yunho’s shoulder and Yunho stirred.

            “Huh?”

            “You okay?”  It took a moment for Yunho to wake up.  He sat up quickly, knocking Shandi over and causing the blanket to fall off him completely.  His eyes widened and he grabbed his pants from off the stack of firewood.  Luckily for him (not necessarily for her), Shandi had been facing the other direction.  She only saw his arm dart above her and grab the pants.  She sighed. 

            “Changmin?  How did you find us?”

            “Well, when you didn’t come back to the room last night, we looked all over the lodge for you.  Finally someone mentioned they had seen you leaving and that you probably got lost out in the blizzard.  Why they didn’t mention it early, I don’t know.  When the blizzard stopped, we looked everywhere.  This was the first place that looked like it would make a halfway decent shelter.” 

            “Oh.  Well, thanks.”

            “So, why are her clothes ruined?”  Changmin was pointing at the disgusting pieces of cloth that used to be Shandi’s cloths.  She blushed.  This had to look really bad.

            “She fell in the lake.  I had to do something.”  Even Yunho was being defensive about it.  Great.  Shandi wrapped the rest of the blanket around herself and stood up.

            “Changmin.  Let me wear your shirt.”  He gave her an inscrutable look. 

            “No.”

            “What am I going to wear, then?  I can’t wear this.”  She held up what used to be her shirt.

            “Wear Yunho’s shirt.”

            “He’s going to wear his shirt.  If you don’t give me something, I’m just going to walk out in this and everyone can see me and think something bad happened.”

            Yunho shook his head.  “Just give her your shirt Changmin.  You stole it from me, anyway.” 

            Changmin sighed and handed her his shirt.  She smiled her sweetest, most hateful smile at him.  Yes, a smile can be sweet and hateful at the same time.  That smile was one of her many talents.  It was especially useful on brothers, but worked pretty well here.