Opened Eyes

The Secret of the Swan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few days had passed since he had met Park Jimin at the 7-Eleven. Taehyung had to return to watching the man as he had before now that he let some time pass to allow Jimin’s memory to fade-Park’s memory. Taehyung shook his head at his use of Park Jimin’s first name. He couldn’t keep doing it, he already had somewhat liked the man and couldn't get attached.

 

He slouched further in his car and watched Park read a magazine at the counter. The store was empty at the time until lunch hour would take over. He finished his slushy and turned the radio on softly. 

 

Time dragged on when he finally felt the urge of nature. He cursed at himself for finishing such a large drink, but he couldn’t help it. Strawberry flavored things were one of the few things that gave him simple joy. His leg bounced as he looked around. He knew there were no bathrooms in the small shops around, only in the 7-Eleven. 

 

Maybe he could go home? He dismissed the thought when he looked at the time. The Swan demanded that he watch Park’s whole shift today, and he still had hours to go. He cursed to himself and turned off the ignition. He would have to go back into the 7-Eleven.

 

He quickly crossed the street and walked into the store, head down to avoid Park’s gaze. He had almost made it when he heard him.

 

“Hey, it’s you, isn’t it? You paid for the stealing girl the other day,” he asked. Taehyung froze in his spot and took a deep breath. He had to act normal, at least pleasant to not send any bad vibes to the man. 

 

“Yeah,” Taehyung responded, “I’ll talk to you in a minute but I really need to use the bathroom.”

 

Park had laughed. “Go ahead, sorry!” 

 

Taehyung nodded in his direction and went into the bathroom. After doing what he needed to do, he walked back out, patting his hands dry on his jeans. Park was looking at him with a slight smile, Taehyung returned it weakly.

 

“What are you up to? I haven’t seen you in a few days,” Park inquired. Taehyung shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. 

 

“Just working, being around my house, basic life stuff I guess,” he replied vaguely. The response he got was a tilted head. 

 

“You’re a real mystery, you know that? I don’t even know your name,” Park teased. “It’s Taehyung,” Taehyung responded before thinking. He mentally facepalmed himself. Why did he blurt his actual name?

 

“I like that name, suits you,” he smiled. He gestured for Taehyung to come to the counter, to which Taehyung did hesitantly. “I have some snacks, want to share them with me?”

 

Taehyung eyed the array of snacks and his craving got the better of him. “Cheetos okay?” he asked meekly. Jimin nodded enthusiastically, pushing the bag toward him. Taehyung let a small smile play on his lips when he took the bag. Jimin was so kind to him even though they didn’t know each other. Even though Taehyung would have to kill him at some point in the future.

 

“What do you do for work?” Jimin asked with innocent curiosity. Taehyung munched on a Cheeto slowly to think of a quick answer that would be easy to remember. He knew the closer to the truth the lie was, the easier it would be able to maintain.

 

“I do research for a private writer,” he finally replied. “What kind of research?” Taehyung took another Cheeto to buy a few seconds.

 

“I observe the neighborhoods in Daegu, report on what the businesses are like, the people, quality of life the people seem to have, stuff like that.”

 

Jimin smiled and opened a bag of rice cakes and took a bite. “Why doesn’t your employer do it himself?”

 

Taehyung shrugged, “I think he has anxiety being around people I guess, he keeps to himself. I don’t ask questions, I need the pay,” Taehyung chuckled.

 

Jimin shrugged “Makes sense I guess.” They snacked in silence f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter