Phone Briefing

The Secret of the Swan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung woke up with a start, his heart pounding. Blinking his eyes, he stabilized himself and squeezed a fistful of his sheets. He didn’t know why he let Irene convince him to drink as much as he did. Alcohol brought on nightmares. Brought back gruesome memories. 

 

The clock beside him lightly glowed 5:24 at him.  Talking to The Swan required him to be awake soon anyhow so he slowly stood up. A light head rush rendered him unsteady for a moment and he closed his eyes tightly to regain his balance. He couldn’t remember drinking as he had with Irene in a long time. This would be the last for that or longer.

 

The time went by quickly as he sobered up in the shower. Flashes of the night made him smile. Irene had been kind and they laughed so much together. He couldn’t get the twinkle of her eyes as she smiled out of his head. It was evident that things between them were far from friendly as the close of the night. 

 

They had hugged goodbye and Taehyung was ready to leave when she tugged at his hand when he attempted to leave. It was hard to resist those big brown eyes and the tight black dress she wore that rounded all of her features to perfection. The connection drew him to her and they shared a kiss that left Taehyung feeling lightheaded.

 

He had kissed fellow workers under The Swan in small undercover assignments but none of them were ever real. None of them made him feel like that.

 

A pounding at his door snapped him out of the memories of the night. He quickly shut off the shower, got dressed and left the room to find Minjun waiting impatiently.

 

“Sorry to rush you but you knew you were expected for a phone call,” he grimaced. Taehyung nodded.

 

“I got up early, time just got away from me,” was the weak explanation he gave. He knew it wouldn’t matter to The Swan.

 

“He’s waiting on the call right now, don’t leave him waiting.”

 

Taehyung ran down the stairs to the phone that sat in the middle of the coffee table.

 

“Hello?” he asked weakly. Even though he had only talked to the man on the phone his presence could still be felt in the room.

 

“Tell me how your surveillance on Park Jimin is going, Taehyung,” he requested plainly. The fact that there was no emotion scared Taehyung the most. In this state he knew The Swan was most volatile. 

 

“I’ve been watching him just about every day as you have requested at his place of work. I’ve recorded his schedules and habits, pathways home, the typical information as I have had to record in the past, sir,” he reported. There was a string of silence that followed. Taehyung’s forehead dampened. His breath was held in anticipation.

 

“What about Jimin as a person, hm? You have met him, haven’t you?” The Swan finally asked, a light tone of amusement lacing his words. Taehyung knew The Swan knew he had gone beyond his normal parameters.

 

“Yeah, I don’t know him super well, we’ve only spoken a few times, I’ve been in the store to make purchases and such as a normal customer. I felt like this assignment needed more than what could be seen in a parked car from a distance,” was Taehyung’s explanation. His voice was shaky and he was trying to cover his actions as best he could. He could not ris

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter