Breakthrough

The Secret of the Swan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung woke up with the sun beaming into his eyes through the cracks of the blinds. He reached over for his phone and squinted at the screen. 10:00. With a stretch, he sat up to gather about his senses. What were his plans for today? He thought back to yesterday and finally Jimin’s voice swam into his head. .

 

He got up and walked to the bathroom to shower. When his towel was secure afterward, he opened the door and jumped back when he saw Minjun was right there waiting for him. “Where is yesterday’s report?” he demanded. Taehyung sighed and shoved past him, moving towards his room.

 

He walked over to his desk and handed Minjun his notebook and typed report. Of course, things were not exactly true, he could never mention that he had ever had serious contact with Jimin. As far as the notes reflected, he just sat in the car for hours every time he watched Jimin.

 

Minjun nodded in approval and glanced up at Taehyung who was purposely ignoring him. “We used to be so close, Taehyung. What happened?” Minjun asked softly. Taehyung shook his head.

 

“Please leave.”

 

Minjun angrily tossed the notes and paper on the desk and got into Taehyung’s face. “You seriously think you can judge me? I know why you were beaten, and it’s better to just go and do what’s expected. You didn’t choose this life, I didn’t get much choice in mine either, but I’m here making the best in this. The last thing you need to do is break the bonds and become isolated now,” he growled.

 

“Well, you had to have some choice! I didn’t! I was on the streets and I didn’t know better!” Taehyung yelled back defensively. How could Minjun even begin to justify the way they lived?

 

“Oh yeah, I’m sure you were always raised to think killing people was alright, huh?” Minjun sneered. Taehyung’s heart sank. “Don’t play the victim card. You’re not stupid, you have a sense of right and wrong, so you cannot pin all of this on everyone else but yourself. One thing you should know by now is that you’re out of choices, Taehyung. You went along so you’re too far gone to turn back now. The Swan will not let you live to see any other possibilities. Just do yourself a favor and just be pleasant.”

 

“Being plesant has never been an order,” Taehyung spat. The guilt gnawed on him like a starving monster. He didn’t want to admit that Minjun was right.

 

“Caring about you like a son after all of these years was never an order, but here we are.” Minjun sighed and softened his expression, lifting Taehyung’s face towards him. “I’m sorry, but we just have to go on. I want you to know that in this world, you at least have me. We can’t turn on each other now.”

 

Taehyung’s eyes watered. He couldn’t fight the affection that had grown for Minjun as the only fatherly figure he had ever known. “I just want to know the truth. Why am I even here? If you care, then tell me something, Minjun. Anything.” Taehyung pleaded.

 

Minjun frowned. “Look, you know how limited I am. The Swan is lenient with me but I only have so many rights. I can’t say anything now, but as soon as I find a chance, I will.” he said after a moment.

 

“Do you promise?” Taehyung asked shakily. Minjun nodded.

 

“I promise, Taehyung. You just have to trust me,” he replied, wiping a stray tear that had finally escaped from Taehyung’s cheek. Minjun was fighting tears himself.

 

Taehyung let out a sob and buried his head into Minjun’s chest. He let it all out, he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He would still have to find a way to discover The Swan’s truth, but he had to trust someone. Maybe Minjun could help him, he would just have to get him up to it. Minjun stood and held him.

 

After a few minutes, Taehyung composed himself and stood. He took the papers from the desk and handed them back to Minjun. “I’m going to take some time for myself today, I have the day off as far as I know and I just need to reach a peace with these things.” Minjun took the papers and lightly nodded.

 

“I understand, just watch yourself, okay?” Minjun warned.

 

“Okay,” Taehyung agreed. Minjun took his cue and left the room. Taehyung closed the door behind him and took a deep breath. He hoped spending time with Jimin would take his mind off things for a while. Jimin was the only innocent soul he knew. He was the only one he knew genuinely cared for him, at least until he found out the truth about him. How could he care about the man who nearly killed his father?

 

There were so many times that he thought about coming clean to Jimin, but it would only open of the can of worms that would lead to the full truth that he couldn’t have Jimin know. He’d grown spoiled to Jimin’s friendship and couldn’t go back to the isolated life he had led before.

 

He got dressed throwing on a Nirvana t-shirt and jeans. It was an unusually warm day for it being so early in the spring, but he welcomed it. He gazed in the mirror on the wall before he left the room. His eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter