The Beach

Smile Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13

The Beach



She smiled, “Hey you.”

“I love you,” Eunbi whispered.

She was still smiling, but tears were b in her eyes.

“But what can I do? I can only say that to you when you're sleeping.”

She leaned closer to her face. So close that the tip of their noses touched.

 

I want to kiss you.

Can I do that?

Just once.

 

Eunbi moved closer to the other girl’s lips.

She was inches away but suddenly she stopped.

Sakura had unexpectedly woken up.


And their eyes met.

They looked at each other for the longest time. Eunbi froze; she didn't know what to do in this situation. Should she act casual and act like nothing happened? But no matter how she look at this situation, it seems like she’s the weird one creeping on her guest while she was sleeping.

"I-It's not what you're thinking.." Eunbi said, stuttering.

She quickly stands up and walked backwards, away from Sakura’s bed. The Japanese girl was still in daze or maybe she’s just stunned. She looked at her without saying anything. Eunbi wished she would say something instead.

The older girl cleared and begins, "It-It's because I heard you scream! I was worried that it might wake up the neighbors!"

She continued, "They might call the police and report me! And the way you screamed, people might think that we’re fighting or that we were err… doing things together…" she mumbled the last part.

She didn’t know why her cheeks felt warm at the last sentence. Everything she said only made her look more suspicious and erted.

Sakura slowly pushed herself up and sat on her bed, looking at the nervous Eunbi.

"Anyway-

Eunbi wasn't able to finish her sentence when she realized that Sakura was staring at her. She quickly looked away, hiding her blushing cheeks.

"A-Anyway-

"Eunbi…" Sakura suddenly called.

Eunbi looked up, "Hmm?"

"Do you have milk?" Sakura asked.


**


Eunbi and Sakura sat on the sofa in the living room, opposite of each other.

Sakura had a pink blanket wrapped around her. She was holding a cup of warm milk that Eunbi had prepared.

Eunbi sipped her drink slowly, carefully avoiding eye contact with her guest. It’s hard to swallow the milk, it’s that awkward. Eventually she pulled herself together and looked up, but then she gulped. Sakura was also looking her way and their eyes met.

"I'm sorry, you must've been shocked," Sakura suddenly said.

Her voice was gentle as if she was trying to calm the other girl.

Eunbi put down her cup and shrugged.

"Can't say that I'm okay with people screaming in the middle of the night. But it's not like you did it on purpose. So, it's okay," she said, as casually as she could.

Eunbi was hoping for a reply, but instead Sakura looked down, not saying anything.

"Sakura.." Eunbi called gently.

Sakura looked up, "Yes?"

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened in your dream?" Eunbi asked.

Sakura kept mum.

"I mean your nightmares, it must be something terrifying for you to scream like that. If it’s okay for you to share, it’s okay if you don’t want to tell me…" Eunbi added.

Sakura paused for a while before letting out a loud sigh.

"It's the same dream over and over again," she began.

Eunbi leaned her body forward, listening.

Sakura continued, "A car accident, and a woman dies before my eyes.."

"I don't know who she is, I never get to see her face but-

She paused.

"But my heart feels like it was ripped apart every time it happens."

"Though I don't know who she is, but in my dreams… she's someone I really care about. It was as if I would die without her."

She smiled weakly, "Sometimes... I'm afraid to fall sleep. Because I don't want to lose her again."

"How long have you been having these dreams?" asked Eunbi curious.

"Since 3 years ago," she replied.

Eunbi gulped. That was around time when Sakura left her.

"Usually, it will wake me up in the middle of the night and I will cry."

"But for some reason… I don’t have a nightmare last night," she said, looking at Eunbi.



**


 

"What is it that you're sooo busy with?" Eunbi talked to the phone that was pressed to her ear.

She was walking to her car in the parking lot that morning to go to class.

The person on the other end replied, "I have to help my cousin with her wedding preparation today. I really can't leave. They picked me as a bridesmaid.”

It was none other than Hyewon.

"Then you want your girlfriend to spend her time alone again? You said you would pick her up yesterday," Eunbi said, annoyed.

"Ahh I'm sorry. It was my dad's birthday! I forgot to inform you about it!"

"Your dad, your cousin, what's next, your grandmother?" Eunbi asked sarcastically.

Hyewon laughed, "Anyway, I already asked Yujin to take her around in my place today. And you can go too!"

Eunbi scoffed, "What the-

"Please Eun, just for today. It's easier because you can drive them in your car!" Hyewon continued.

"Am I some kind of a babysitter to you?"

"You're a girlfriend-sitter," Hyewon replied sweetly.

"Don't use that tone with me. I am not going to do this-

Suddenly, she paused and took the phone away from her ear. She reached her car but there were already people waiting for her.

Yujin and a beautiful tall girl were waving at her, all geared up in hot pants and plaid shirts. Also the straw hats. They looked like a couple. That’s none other than the campus beauty, Jang Wonyoung. And Eunbi thought they had broken up.

"Eunbi unnieee!" Yujin called in her aegyo way. She rushed to Eunbi and comfortably linked her arms with her.

"What is going on?" Eunbi asked, puzzled.

"We are going to the beach!" Wonyoung replied as she pulled Yujin away from Eunbi.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter