The Broken Promise

Smile Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6 – The Broken Promise




“Good morning, Eunbi.” Myungsoo greeted, flashing his dimpled smile.

He was passing by after his morning jog when he saw Eunbi standing by the road. She didn’t even notice him at first. She kept looking down at the road.

“Oh, morning oppa,” she replied short.

He wanted to talk more to her but she was busy looking around at everywhere but him.

“Are you waiting for someone? You keep looking towards the other block,” Myungsoo suddenly said.

Eunbi looked at him, “Oh, have you seen her? There’s a new girl who moved into that block. She’s Japanese, she has bobbed hair that’s dyed to wine color and she wears round rimmed glasses. She’s.... really pretty.”

Myungsoo shrugged, “Really? There’s someone who looks like that in this neighborhood? But I thought you’re the prettiest in this neighbourhood."

Eunbi looked away, avoiding his eyes. He was left hanging at his own joke.

“Uhh… okay Eunbi, I should get going. I have a meeting with a client later,” he said.

​​​​​​"Okay, bye oppa," she said, giving him a quick smile. 

Her smile definitely had effect on him. His face lit up and he smiled back, "Don't stand by the road, it's dangerous. I saw some lorries passing by the other day and they're driving fast. Take care, okay."

Eunbi replied him with a simple nod. He waved at her one last time before leaving to his house. 

Eunbi didn’t even glance at him as he leaves. She was still standing there, looking down the road where Sakura always showed up.

 

Sakura, where are you?



**



“Okay class, that’s all for today,” Eunbi said, closing her book.

The class bowed to her before they all left for the day. Eunbi watched as Yujin grabbed Nako by her neck to ask her to walk home together. She stopped them by the door.

“Nako, can I see you for a second?” she said. 

“Yeah, sure,” Nako said, nodding. She freed herself from Yujin's arm immediately. She looked relieved. 

Yujin sighed, “Just Nako? You’re not interested to see me? We can go to a café and talk if you want.”

"Just go home, Yujin.”

 

**

 

Eunbi took Nako to the teacher’s lounge again, and treat her to some ice cream. Nako was a bit puzzled but she accepted the ice cream happily. It was her favourite flavour, Mintchoco. 

“You want to know where my sister is?”

Eunbi nodded. She doesn’t care anymore, she’s just desperate to see Sakura again.

“She’s in Japan.”

“She’s in Japan? Why? Is she moving back? Why didn’t she tell me anything?”

Nako was a bit overwhelmed with the sudden questions.

“Well, she’s not moving back. She’s visiting our grandmother who lives alone. She was down with flu, but after a week, she’s still ill. Saku-chan got worried so she went back to take care of her.”

Eunbi listened to her explanations without saying anything.

Nako adds, “I don’t know why she didn’t tell you though. I didn’t know that you two are that close. Why don’t you try calling her?”

Eunbi looked away, and muttered to herself, “I don’t even know her number.”

“What’s the matter, Miss Kwon? It seems important for you to see my sister again.”

“There’s something… I need to tell her in person."





**





I’ve never acted like this before.

I must be out of my mind.

“Miss, you must pay first,” said the cashier at the counter.

It was Eunbi’s turn to pay at the counter in the convenience store, but she was stalling. She didn’t bring her purse. On purpose. Since Sakura would always turn up when she’s in trouble, she was hoping that the Japanese girl would appear again.

Maybe she will come soon and settle the payment like she used to.

“Miss, can you please move aside? There are others who wants to make payment.”

Eunbi bit her lip, “I’m sorry, I think I left my purse in the car.”

“Yes, I know. You’ve already told me that 3 times. Now can you please move from the line and come back after you get your wallet, because there are a lot of people waiting behind you.”

She looked behind her and met the gaze of a few angry customers. She let out a sigh and walked out of the line.

Sakura never came.



**

 

A week later.


“Hurry up unnie! We’re late! They’re waiting for us!” Chaewon shouted from the door.

Eunbi look at the mirror one last time before hurriedly grabbed her backpack and ran towards the door.

A bus was waiting outside the house. Yujin was waving at her from the glass window.

“Okay kids, let’s go!” Eunbi said as she walked inside the bus. She took a seat beside another teacher behind the driver’s seat. The driver closed the door and the bus begin to move.

They’re going to the camp that was organized by the school. There were 30 students that were picked to go, including Chaewon, Nako and Yujin. Eunbi along with five other teachers were assigned to accompany the students during the 3 days and 2 nights trip.

Eunbi chatted with her colleagues, checking the name list for the camp participants. She noticed a name that was crossed out.

“Why is Miyawaki Nako’s name crossed out?” she asked to her colleague, Sana.

“Ah, Nako-chan’s parents called and cancelled it earlier,” she replied.




**



“Here’s the duty schedule. You and I will be on standby from 12:00am to 3:00am. After that the other teachers will take over,” said Sana, handing Eunbi a piece of paper.

Eunbi looked at the schedule, “So we can’t sleep??”

Sana chuckled, “We have to be on standby if any of the students need anything. It’s just for a couple of hours, we can sleep first and wake up later.”




**

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter