The Promise

Smile Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

The Promise

Eunbi has always been a careful driver. She’s not the type to use her phone while driving and always follow the rules.

But not today. She’s been so distracted that it’s hard for her to focus her eyes on the road. She kept glancing at the rear view mirror, looking at the two ladies that sitting at the backseat.

It’s hard not to notice when they were holding hands almost the entire time, and Hyewon would put her head on Sakura’s shoulder during the ride. What a beautiful picture, she thought. She had never pictured it before, but her best friend and her time travelling crush are both attractive. Their visuals matches each other, like a match made in heaven.

The Japanese girl was seen smiling as she looked outside the window, enjoying the night view of Seoul. Watching her smile is dangerous, Eunbi thought. It’s addictive.

She wants to watch her smile always.

Suddenly Sakura turned to her front, and her eyes met Eunbi’s through the mirror. They both held their gaze.

Eunbi held her breath.

 

Holy .

It’s just an eye contact but I-

 

“Kwon Eunbi, watch out!” Yujin suddenly shouted.

Eunbi hit the brake immediately, and her car stopped just in time before she rammed into a Hyundai’s bumper. It was only inches away.

Yujin gulped, “W-What is wrong with you today? This is the second time you almost get us killed!”

"Woah, be careful Eun! We've just arrived and you're already trying to kill us?" Hyewon asked, rubbing her forehead. She was slightly thrown forward because of the emergency stop. Sakura helped her, and patted her head.

Eunbi felt a twist in her gut.

“Sorry. I got distracted. It won’t happen again though.”

The journey continued but it was awkwardly quiet. Eunbi wasn’t sure if it was only her feeling that way but the silence was killing her. She didn’t even dare to glance at the rearview mirror anymore. There’s a medusa in the backseat.

She cleared , thinking maybe it’s better if she faces the situation instead of avoiding it. That’s what adults do, right?

She put on a smile and asked, “So Hyewon, where do you plan to take Sakura for the week? Nami Island? Or Jejudo? I heard it’s romantic this time of the year.”

Hyewon chuckled, “I haven’t plan anything yet, but Sakura said she wanted to visit the beach.”

“Ah Haeundae then. It’s a great weather to visit the beach.”

Sakura smiled, “I might visit the cities too. I miss Korea. The last time I was here was three years ago.”

“Were you on holidays back then, unnie?” asked Yujin.

Sakura shook her head, “No. I actually lived in Korea for about five months.”

Hyewon chimed in, “Yujin-ah, you might know her younger sister, she went to the same school as you before.”

“My school? A Japanese kid?”

Eunbi gulped.

This could get complicated.

Yujin’s face beamed. She turned her head around to look at Sakura closely.

“Wait, there’s only one Japanese girl who went to the same school in my batch, is your sister Nako?”

Sakura nodded, “Yes, it’s Nako.”

Yujin’s mouth opened wide and she turned to Eunbi.

She smacked her shoulder, “So she’s Nako’s sister? Right? You know her, don’t you? It’s her-

Eunbi grabbed Yujin’s hand and gave it a rather strong squeeze, making the younger girl bit her lip. But after receiving a sharp glare from Eunbi, she knew she has to keep shut.

She smiled and glanced at Sakura, “I was Nako’s homeroom teacher back then. So, we may have met before.”

The Japanese girl’s expression suddenly changed. She looked apologetic and suddenly bowed her head slightly.

“I’m sorry if I don’t remember you. My memory is quite bad.”

Eunbi forced a laugh, “It’s okay. It was a long time ago. I don’t remember you either. I met a lot of other student’s parents and guardians. It’s easy to get people mixed up.”

Hyewon chuckled, “It’s a small world after all, right?”

Eunbi replied it with a half-hearted smile.

“So, where do you want me to drop you both? Your parents’ house?"

Hyewon paused before answering, "Actually, about that…”

She and Sakura exchanged looks.

“The thing is that, my parents are expecting me tonight, but… they don’t know about Sakura, yet," Hyewon continued.

Hyewon lean forward closer to the driver's seat, "Eun, your new apartment still has that spare room, right? You didn’t rent it out or anything, right?”

"W-Where are you going with this?"

"Eun, my eternal best friend, I would like to ask a little favor from you," said Hyewon in a singsong voice. She suddenly turned sweet and this could only mean bad news.

"Can you let her stay at your apartment for a week?"

 

**

 

Eunbi opened her trunk and helped Hyewon took out her luggage. The girls dragged the bags until it was in front of her parent’s house’s gate.

“That’s the last bag,” Eunbi said.

Suddenly Hyewon grabbed her hand. The two ladies looked at each other.

“Can you reconsider?” Hyewon asked.

“I can't. No way.”

“Eun, can you help me just this time? You know that I always help you with anything.”

Eunbi sighed, “Well, I know. But this is-

Hyewon cuts in, “Sakura still isn't too familiar with the city and it's dangerous for her to stay alone at this late hour.”

Eunbi shook her head, “I can't do that. I just... can't. She’s a freaking adult. She can take care of herself."

“Why are you so stingy about her spending her nights at your place? Okay, if you can't let her stay all week then, at least... just for tonight. Let her stay at your place just for tonight."

Eunbi scoffed, "She's YOUR girlfriend! Not mine!”

Hyewon nodded, "Yes! And you are my best friend! That’s why I trust you more than anyone else!"

“Please help me just this time,” She pleaded.

Eunbi sighed, “Gosh, Hyewon-ah I-

She stopped when she noticed Sakura standing by with a luggage in her hand. She looked like a lost little kitty who needed a place to stay.

Eunbi sighed, "Fine."

Hyewon's eyes lit up, “Awww thank you my friend! I knew it in your heart you’re not that petty.”


"But just for tonight," Eunbi added firmly.



**



"Wow, you have a nice place," Sakura said, impressed.

She pulled her luggage and followed Eunbi towa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter