The Only Reason

Smile Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

The Only Reason


Eunbi and Sakura walked together around the park near the apartment after returning from Sakura’s little piano concert. They don’t talk much, just walking at the same pace and exchanging smiles. It felt different this time, it’s impossible for it to be the same anymore, not after what Eunbi said at the auditorium.

“I love you.”

She shouted to her in the empty hall. It echoes. But the older girl never clarified more than that. They didn’t talk about it. But they both knows. It was sincere.

“We should get inside, it’s getting late,” Eunbi said, putting her hands into her coat’s front pockets.

Sakura nodded, “Yes, we should ah-

She paused.

“What’s the matter?” Eunbi asked.

Then she saw Sakura’s right shoe. The shoelaces were untied.

The Japanese girl smiled sheepishly, “It’s okay. You can go first, I’ll be right behind you.”

She said, wanting to kneel down to tie it. But before she was able to do so, Eunbi was already down on one knee in front of her. Sakura froze when Eunbi tied up her laces carefully into a bow knot.

“There you go.”

Eunbi stood up and smiled at Sakura. The latter was staring at her, not saying a word, and it’s making her cheeks felt warm.

“Le-Let’s go now.” Eunbi said, stuttering.

“Yes, let’s go.”

They were about to leave when they noticed a woman standing in front of the building.

“Hyewon?” Sakura said, shocked.

Hyewon walked to them. Eunbi looked at her friend and their eyes met. She bit her lip, trying to stay calm.

"Ah, Hyewon. Did you come to see me?" Sakura asked when the older girl reached them.

Hyewon nodded, "I need to talk to you."

Eunbi looked away with a snort.

Suddenly Hyewon glanced at her, "If that's okay with you, Eun."

Eunbi raised an eyebrow, "Sure."




**


"Let's break up," Hyewon suddenly said.

It was so straight to the point and Sakura looked at her in disbelief. She wanted to respond, but she wasn’t sure what to say.

“Honestly, we have both have seen this coming,” Hyewon added, sighing.

“Bu-But why so sudden?” Sakura asked, still in shock.

“Because…”


“You deserve so much better than someone like me.”



**


Sakura had been through breakups before, but this was the first time she felt relieved after ending a relationship. In fact, they both felt relieved.

She made her way into Eunbi’s apartment and locked the door behind. The living room’s lights were turned off, and the space was only lit by the moonlight that peeked through the curtains. She saw Eunbi sleeping on the couch in the sitting position, still wearing the clothes she wore earlier.

She was waiting for her.

Sakura’s mouth crept up into a smile and it got wider once she sat next to the sleeping girl. She tucked the hair that covered Eunbi’s face behind her ears, and chuckled when she saw drool stains on the edge of .

She leaned her back on the couch and slowly put her head on her shoulder. So carefully, not to wake her up.

Eunbi’s presence by her side made her felt so safe.

Even if the world came crashing down that night, she’ll be alright.

Even if it was her last day to live, she’ll be satisfied.


And soon she fell asleep.



**
 



A figure suddenly appeared in the living room as soon as Sakura drifted to sleep by Eunbi’s side.

It was Yena. The angel who offered Sakura the wish 3 years ago.

She looked at Eunbi and then to Sakura with a frown. She bit her lip and sighed a few times. The longer she looked at them, the heavier her heart felt. So she looked away. Before the tears in her eyes came pouring out. She can’t let her emotions involved.

She walked closer to them.

Slowly, she lifted her left hand and directed it at Sakura's forehead.

"You both… left me with no choice," she said.

Her fingertips were only inches away from Sakura's forehead but they never touched. She was still hesitating.

"You can't do that," a voice suddenly said.

Yena was startled; she retreated her hand quickly and turned around. She was greeted by the sight of another woman.

"Chaewon, wh-what are you doing here?" she asked, nervous. She put her hand behind her back.

But Chaewon wasn’t answering her question.

"You know that you'll be punished if you erase her memories without permission," Chaewon said, serious.

Yena sighed.

"Then what else can I do? Sakura is slowly gaining parallel memories that she's not supposed to have! All the memories that she had before she made the wish are coming back; this has never happened before! Why is this happening?” she said, frustrated.

Chaewon looked at the sleeping pair on the couch.

“Their feelings… for each other are too strong.”

“There’s nothing us angels could do to stop them from finding each other. Their love is too… powerful,” she added.

"Bu-But they're not fated to be with each other! If Sakura remembers everything, the deal will be broken," Yena retorted.

"The only reason why Eunbi's heart is still beating is because Sakura traded her memories and love for Eunbi to let her live," added the angel.

"In other words, if they try to fight fate and choose love..


..Eunbi will die."


Chaewon kept silent.

“So tell me how I could just stand and watch, when a life is at stake? Eunbi is under your care, don’t you bother about her life

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter