The Nightmares

Smile Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 12

The Nightmares

 

Eunbi was sitting at the small dining table in the kitchen that morning, all dressed up to leave the house. There was a cup of green tea latte in front of her, hot, just the way she likes it in the morning. She wasn’t in the mood to make breakfast, just dipping some plain cookies into her drink to fill herself up.

Well, truth is she’s not really hungry. She can’t stop thinking about what happened last night. She stayed by Sakura’s side, holding her hand until it was almost dawn. Luckily she woke up just in time before Sakura did.

So Sakura had a nightmare.

 

But what is it about?

Did someone she cared about, died?


When she was lost in thoughts, suddenly, she heard the creaking sound of the door. That must be Sakura. Eunbi quickly sat up straight and act casual. Soon, Sakura's face appeared in the kitchen, with her bed hair and crumpled t-shirt. She looks attractive even like this.

Eunbi could feel her cheeks heating up. She quickly picked up her cup and took a sip.

"Good morning Eunbi," Sakura said as walked towards Eunbi.

Eunbi put down her cup and nods, “Did you sleep well?”

Sakura nodded, "Yes. Your room was so comfortable! I haven't slept that well in a long time."

Eunbi sipped on her cup again, but a bit too quickly. She let out a few cough.

Suddenly, she felt something warm rubbing her back. She looked up and saw Sakura smiling at her.

"Drink up slowly, what's the rush?"

She blushed even more. She cleared and looked away.

"What time will you be leaving today, Sakura?" she asked casually

"I’m not sure. I’m waiting for Hyewon to call me. Do you want me to leave that much?” asked Sakura, offended.

Eunbi sighed, “That’s not what I mean. It’s just-

“What are you having for breakfast? Just cookies?” Sakura cuts in with her questions.

She walked further into the kitchen area, “Wow, your kitchen is quite spacious. Must be fun to cook in here.”

“Yeah, well, if you want to cook anything, go ahead. Use anything you want. There’s also bread on the table, that’s going to get expired in a few days. You can make some toasts if you want,” replied Eunbi.

Sakura’s face lit up. She took the bag of bread and took out the loaves.

“Would you like some, Eunbi? I’ll make it for you too.”

Eunbi shook her head, “I’m fine, thank you.”

“Come on, I’ll make some for you. As a thank for letting me stay. I always make breakfast for Hyewon. She really likes my cooking,” Sakura replied with a grin.

Sakura started taking out the ingredients from the fridge to prepare for her grand breakfast dish. She was oblivious of Eunbi who had suddenly turned silent.

 

Breakfast for Hyewon.

 

Eunbi tried to calm herself. Well, they are a couple after all, what else did she expect? But knowing so, still doesn’t help the uneasiness in her heart. Or is it jealousy? Sakura begin humming as she was cutting up the green onion for her special toast. She looked like she belongs in the kitchen, happily cooking for her loved one, her hair pushed back, without makeup, so domestic.

And Eunbi wished she’s her loved one.

But she’s not.

And that reality hurts her even more. She stood up immediately from the chair and walked away from the kitchen.

The Japanese girl raised an eyebrow, “Where are you going? The toast is going to be ready in a minute!”

She turned off the stove for a bit and went to look for Eunbi. She found her by the door, with a bag sling over her shoulder.

“You’re already leaving?”

“I have class, sorry,” she lied.

“Wait here, I’ll pack some toast for you.”

Eunbi sighed, “No, I’m full.”

“It’s okay-

“No! It’s not okay!”

Sakura’s eyes widen when Eunbi suddenly raised her voice. She was speechless. Watching the girl in front of her, who tried her best to avoid her gaze, she noticed that she looked so restless. Eunbi ran a hand through her hair before looking up and met Sakura’s eyes.

“Call Hyewon up and share your toast with her. She’s your girlfriend after all...”

Sakura didn’t say anything.

She adds, “And if you want to leave today, just give the keys to Hyewon, okay?”

Sakura replied her with a nod.

Eunbi held her gaze a few minutes more.

 

“Goodbye, Sakura.”



**


It felt strange.

That’s what Sakura felt after Eunbi left the house that morning. The way she said goodbye was strange, the way she looked at her was strange too. It was as if she’s saying farewell to someone she had known her whole life.

After cleaning up the kitchen after her breakfast, she sat on the sofa in the living room. She picked up her phone and called Hyewon. She has to leave Eunbi’s house today. It was obvious to her that Eunbi didn’t like her that much. And she felt like such a burden staying there. She rather stays at a hotel room somewhere else.

Pressing the phone to her ear, she leaned her back on the sofa, waiting for Hyewon to pick up her call. She already texted her but she hasn’t even read it yet.

There was dial tone.

And more dial tone.

"The number you're trying to reach-

Sakura cancelled the call. She figured that Hyewon must be busy. She already told her beforehand that she’ll be occupied with her family on this trip, but Sakura insisted to come along. She can’t blame her for it.

She sends another text.

 

'Are you going to pick me up today or not?’

‘I have to leave; I think your friend hates me.'


While waiting for Hyewon to call her back, Sakura cleaned up, changed her clothes and tidy up the room she used last night. Her girlfriend could come soon, and it’s better if she’s prepared.

Minutes passed, and then hours. She fell asleep on the sofa waiting for her. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter