Unchangeable Facts

Ashes of Dreams

As soon as Sehun got out of the house, he pulled out his phone and dialed the number he now remembered by heart. He had been doing that at least 5 times a day for the past 8 months, hoping that she would pick up someday. But everytime, he had to hear the same sentence, in that same monotonous voice. "The number you are trying to call is currently unreachable. Please try later, thank you."

 But that day, he was dialing the number with a different SIM card; thinking that, even if she had been avoiding him deliberately, she would not, perhaps, reject an unknown number. He dialed the number and pressed the phone against his right ear, only to hear the same monotonous voice instead of the voice he had been wanting to hear all those months. But something was different that day. That day, he heard the monotonous voice saying something new.

"The number you are calling is not in use."

Not being able to control himself anymore, he threw away his phone and let out a scream of sheer pain. Then he fell down on his knees and cried out loudly in the middle of a busy street, without giving a damn about the pedestrians watching him intently.

"What have I done for you to keep punishing me so hard?", he howled.

 


 

Being on leave for her marriage and having nothing to do at home, Yun Hee started moving around the house aimlessly. She kept looking around and felt that their parents had done a great a job with the interior designing. The whole place seemed like a home sweet home. Each of the rooms had different colored themes, but all of them were looking very cozy and warm. She knew how much their parents wanted to make the house look like a castle, but restrained themselves when she pleaded them not to. They tried to reason her by saying how they had the ability to give them all the luxuries, but she told them that she wanted a humble environment.

She went to the second floor and saw three bedrooms in a row. She felt really weird when she saw the door of the master bedroom, remembering then events of last night. So she went down again and was about to go into the room she had used the previous night, when she remembered about a room she had asked their parents to have specially customized for herself. She made her way towards the room and opened the door of it. The odor of newly made furniture hit her nostrils instantly. She saw the walls of the room carved like bookshelves, furnished with wood and a small table consisting two chairs around it at the center of the room.

She rushed down the hallways to bring the three suitcases full of books that she had brought with her the previous day and brought them with her in the library like room. She ped them to reveal her precious collection and took out all the books that she had placed inside. She arranged them alphabetically and started putting them on the shelves. After an hour, she was finally done with her work and was quiet satisfied with it. She looked around the room and saw most of the shelves empty, so she decided to call her parents to send someone with the rest of her books. She went to fetch her phone in the bedroom she used and saw that it was ringing already. The caller ID said that it was Yun Yeong, so she received the call immediately and put her phone on speaker.

"Yeongie!", she said gleefully.

"Hello to you too, baby sis", said Yun Yeong. "You sound quiet happy, darling. I guess you had a really blissful night, huh?"

Yun Hee rolled her eyes as she could imagine Yun Yeong giving her a wink if she had been there.

"If you are done sprouting nonsense, then could you please tell me your reason of calling me?"

"Can't I just call my baby sis without any legit reason? The world is so unfair", she said dramatically.

Chuckling softly, Yun Hee said, "Ever since Lee Yun Yeong become Mrs. Park Yun Yeong, she has forgotten totally me, her  only baby sis. The wold is not unfair, Yeong. It's you who is."

She heard Yun Yeong gasping loudly and saying, "It's not true. Even if it is, then it is not my fault. Blame your dearest niece and your stupid brother-in-law. I can only make time if they give me a break.

"Wow, Yeong! Really smart of you to put all the blames on my doll, huh? Actually, to think about it, it is also not your fault. The blame should be solely on Park Chanyeol. He has completely taken you away from me. And you have the audacity to ask me all the time why I hate him. Wow!", Yun Hee exclaimed sarcastically.

"Oh my God! I didn't know that you could be such a baby, Yun Hee. I haven't been snatched away from you, I have just gotten married. There is no reason for you to hate him for that", Yun Yeong laughed.

"I don't hate him. I just don't like him that much, and you know exactly why. So don't try to make me act docile and polite towards him", she said with a strict voice.

"It has been a long time since that incident, Hee, He has repented a lot after that. You have seen him with your own eyes. He will not hurt me again, you can trust him", Yun Yeong reassured her.

"Well, he better not do that again, or my doll and your unborn baby will have to live a fatherless life", she warned her in a fake serious tone, and then laughed out loud.

Laughing along with her, Yun Yeong said, "Now that I think about it, it is actually quiet funny to see him so scared of you. Man, his face always turns pale when you glare at him. I once asked him  why he is so afraid of you, he said that you had been looking very terrifying on your first meeting with him. You remember that night, Hee? You also met Sehun and Jongin for the first time, that night. So much has changed since then."

"How can I forget that night? After all, that night has changed my whole life", Yun Hee said, getting lost in the memories of that night.

 


 

Yun Hee was getting very desperate as she kept ringing the doorbell. Anger was oozing out from every fiber of her body, which was totally justified. After all, when she boarded the plane to Seoul, she was expecting a very needed sleep, instead of a phone call from Yun Yeong, who was crying her hearts out. Apparently, her jerk of a boyfriend, Park Chanyeol had finished their relationship of 3 years on-spot at the mere mention of marriage.

She was about to ring the doorbell for the 20th time, when a very much drowsy looking Park Chanyeol opened the door. Before he could register what was happening, she was already grabbing his collars and venting out her anger.

"How dare you break my sister's heart, you ? Were her feelings like toys to you? What had my sister ever done to you? She was not the one who approached you, you were the one who did so. What were you thinking, huh?Just wanted to play with her until you bored? You know what? She doesn't need you to marry her. We will find a guy for her  who would be a thousand times better than you and get her married to him."

Then she let go of his collar and slapped him hard across his face.

"Remember this slap everytime you feel like toying with a girl, just like you did with Yun Yeong. Oh! And yeah, I will make sure to send you the first invitation to Yun Yeong's wedding, when we would have found the one for her."

Saying this, she turned to leave, but was stopped because of a voice coming from behind her.

"What do you think of yourself? You know, coming to this penthouse and slapping the very owner. If you really wanted attention, then you could have just said so. I would have found someone to spare a few hours for you. What was the need to create a scene at such a late hour?"

She turned around to see a new guy, standing on Chanyeol's left. He had sharp features, a tall height, blonde hair and a smirk on his face. If it had been any other girl, like those damsels in distress of Yun Hee's university, in Yun hee's place, she would be hyperventilating already because the guy was simply too handsome. But all Yun Hee could think about him was that he was very arrogant, rude and didn't know how to respect women at all.

"Yah Oh Sehun! Is this how you talk to a girl?", came another voice from behind the two guys. Then he spoke again, "I sincerely apologize on the....

"It's okay. Why should you be ashamed for your friends' behavior. It's their fault", she said to the new guy and turned towards the rude guy named Oh Sehun. 

"If you think all the girls in the world die to be with you and do anything just to be with you even for a minute, then you are highly mistaken. Those who know their worth will never spare a single glance, because your personality is that much unappealing. Learn some manners before talking to others, because you need it badly."

She saw him shrugging off her words and and turning to leave without a mere response, like he could care less about what she said, like she wasn't even there.

 


 

It was only eight in the evening, but Yun Hee could already feel herself dozing off. She had worked the whole day, arranging her stuff in the master bedroom and around the house. She had decided not to back out from her rights on the room. Now her hands and shoulders were aching like hell.

She remembered the conversation with Yun Yeong earlier. She had really called for a reason which was to know if she would have any problem if her parents arranged a family get together the next day, since Sehun's brother and sister-in-law would leave for Australia 2 days later.

She thought about the night and realized how much things had changed since then. Even his hair was also black, not that blonde color anymore. Then she heard the front the door opening, so she went to check who it was. There stood her husband, drunk to the point of not being able to stand straight, mumbling to himself incoherently, his head hung low. Suddenly he looked up and his eyes fell upon her. The next thing Yun Hee could decipher was that she was being hugged tightly by him, his hands roaming all over her back, clutching her close.

It's as if her hands had a mind of their own, as they made their way up to hug him even before she could register anything. But then they stopped midway when she heard him murmuring. 

"Jieun, you are here finally. I missed you so much."

Realizing the situation, she tried to pry his hands open but he had a death grip. So she whispered gently in his ears, "Sehun, let me go."

"No. If I let you go, then you will leave me again. I can't go through that pain again, Jieun. I love you", he said stubbornly.

"But I am not Jieun."

"No, you are lying."

Then he let go of her only to her face in his hand and started caressing it as if his life depended on it. The sensation of it lasted for a short while when he suddenly pushed her away from himself, making her fall on the floor.

"You are not Jieun. Oh my god! Who are you and where is my Jieun? Where are you hiding her? Tell me", he screamed at her. Then he went ahead with staggering steps, searching for Jieun all around the house as if she was really there, leaving Yun Hee alone on the floor.

"Jieun, babe, please come out. This is not funny. Please come back", his desperate tone echoed throughout the house.

 


 

There is one thing that hadn't changed though, since that night of their first meeting. She didn't exist for him even then, and she doesn't exist for him even now.