A Chance

Ashes of Dreams

Yun Hee woke up early in the morning and saw Sehun still sleeping peacefully beside her on the other side of the bed. She got up slowly and went to the bathroom to freshen up. After that, she went inside the closet and changed her outfit, tied her hair tightly, took her apron and looked at the still deeply asleep Sehun one last time before she made her way downstairs. She asked the maids to serve Sehun lemon tea with his breakfast for the hangover he would have once he would wake up and reminded Mr. Jun one last time to make sure that Sehun had his breakfast. Then she left for the car she had asked Mr. Jun to have prepared for her. On her way to the hospital, she was silent the whole ride, the excitement of going back to her job she had expected to be there in her was absent that morning for some reasons she could not point out. She could not understand herself, why she was feeling this affected by Sehun's behaviour, even though she was not in love with him or anything. The whole journey consisted of her thoughts on her confusing feelings, on why all these were happening to her. 

She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn’t even realize when she had reached her destination. So when the driver called out for her, she felt like being shaken out of a reverie. She looked outside and saw that her car was parked in front of a huge building with 'Seoul National University Hospital’ written in bold letter. She told the driver in what she should be picked up and got out of the car. She went inside the hospital, greeted the receptionist and other doctors she happened to meet on her way and went straight towards the room of the chief resident who was leading their team. She knocked on the door and heard a soft ‘come in’ before entering the room. There sat the chief with his always disheveled look in front of a desk full of papers and files, looking through some x-ray reports with hawk's eyes, not even sparing a single glance towards her. Yun Hee cleared and made a soft coughing sound trying to get his attention, but he was still unmoving. She was about to do it once more, but his voice made her stop in the process. "Ms. Lee, before you try to disturb me again, let me tell you that I did sense your presence. Congratulations on your wedding and welcome back to your second home. Now go to the common room your team mates are currently occupying and meet them while I finish this task of mine. Then I can join you and the rest of them. You interns cannot go even a day without me. Go", he said, signaling her to leave that very moment. Shaking her head slightly in amusement, she wished him a good morning and a nice day before turning to leave the room.  

Yun Hee was making her way towards the room her team mates were in when the other residents of the hospital stopped her in her way from time to time to congratulate her for her wedding and to wish her a happy married life. She wondered about why everyone thought of it as their duty to congratulate a newly married person. She reached the room and turned the knob of the door to open it. The moment she entered the room, she heard the sound of party poppers going off, saw confettis flying around her and a huge banner was hanging from the ceiling with the word  ‘Congratulations’ written on it in bold letters. She was about to ask what was going on when she was engulfed in a bear hug by none other than Min Ah, her best friend. 

“Welcome back, married woman. I missed you so much”, she said in her forever loud voice. 

“Oh my god! Min Ah? How is your dad? Is his condition stable now? Why didn’t you call me to inform your return from London? I couldn’t call you to know about your dad's condition because I thought you wouldn’t have time to pick up my call, but you could have informed me. How is he?”, Yun Hee said, knowing clearly what an awful condition her Min Ah's dad was in. 

“Calm down, you mama bear. Dad is totally fine. The accident was bad, but dad is out of danger now. Mom is there to take care of him. In fact, it was dad who asked me to return to Seoul once he was able to talk. I am so sorry that I could not be there in your wedding though. You are not mad at me, are you?”, Min Ah asked in a hesitant voice. 

“Don't be a foolish, Min. I know how much it was important for you to be there with your mom and dad. After all, your dad had to face a horrible accident. So don't worry, I am not mad. Besides the wedding was not that eventful and you know the situations. So never mind. I am glad that uncle is well.”, Yun Hee said to relieve her friend from her guilt. 

“If you guys are done catching up with each other, then can we poor fellas greet our newly married team mate?”, Baekhyun, one of their team mates and Min Ah’s boyfriend asked from behind them. Then he pushed away his girlfriend slightly and hugged Yun Hee while Min Ah scoffed. Following him, the rest of the team members came and shook Yun Hee's hand to congratulate her while she said thanks to all of them. Though she was feeling very weird inside, she did not let anything show one her face. From outside, she was smiling brightly, but inside thoughts one how did her life turn out like this kept running around her mind. So when they heard the sound of a throat being cleared, she huffed out a sigh of relief since she was saved from her intruding team mates by the interruption of their chief.

"Enough of gossiping loudly like a bunch of jobless monkeys and get around me so that you can start doing your job as doctors after I assign you your duties for today. Shall well start?"

And thus, Yun Hee's day started with something that still connected her with the life she had before she met Oh Sehun, the person who was hell bent on turning her life upside down.

 


 

Oh Sehun woke up to an empty bed, but paid no heed to that since he was clutching his head with both of his hands. He was actually glad to not have the reminder of his cursed life around him for the first time since his wedding. He got up from the bed and went to the bathroom with wobbly steps to freshen up, plopped some pills inside his mouth to get rid of the headache that was happening because of hangover and then went to the closet to bring out his attire for the day. He got ready and went downstairs to find butler Jun to ask him to prepare his car and chauffeur so that he could leave for the office, but Mr. Jun stopped him on his way and informed him that the maids had his breakfast already prepared and that he should have his breakfast while he prepared his ride. Sehun was about to decline but then he stopped before he asked Mr. Jun, "Where is the young mistress, Mr. Jun? I haven't seen her since I woke up this morning."

Mr. Jun replied politely, "Young mistress is in her work. She left quiet very early since it was her first day to work after your marriage. Is there any problem, young master?"

Sehun processed his reply in his brain and came to a conclusion that he wouldn't need to skip breakfast that day just to avoid her since she wasn't home that morning. So he turned to Mr. Jun and spoke out, "No, there is no problem. Please ask the maids to serve my breakfast and then prepare my ride. I will be in the dining table." Saying this, he made his way towards the table. He saw several types of dishes prepared for him but what caught his eyes was the cup of lemon tea. The thought of Yun Hee asking the maids to have it prepared for his hangover crossed his mind once but he brushed away the thought, not wanting to get affected by anything done by her.

After having his breakfast and leaving the lemon tea untouched, he left the house and went to his car. The driver started the car right after he made himself comfortable in the backseat and drove towards 'Brazen Electronics'. Once he reached his destination, he got out of the car and went inside the building without acknowledging the chauffeur much. The employees greeted him as usual on his way, but he seldom greeted them back. He straightly went to the meeting room, bowed to the board members politely, nodded towards his father slightly and grinned facing Jongin, then took his seat. After he settled down on his seat, Jongin got up and started the meeting which was about the joint venture Brazen Electronics was going to do with the Kim Corporation, of which Jongin's father was the director.

The meeting went smoothly and everyone applauded the idea of their main product which was suggested by Sehun. Feeling accomplished by his success, he made his way towards his own office in a good mood. Jongin and his team members had left the building right after the meeting ended, since they had to visit the production site, so he had already taken his leave from Sehun. At that moment, Sehun just intended to oversee the files Jongin had left in his room which had the details of the production site that he had accumulated with his team from their last visit. The overseeing went for a while. After he was done, he looked at the clock and realized that it was already lunch time. He let out a sigh and squirmed a bit in his chair to get rid of his stiffness before calling his secretory to bring lunch for him.

He went to sit on the couch that was placed in his office and then took out a business magazine that was placed on the table in front of the couch. His lunch arrive after five minutes, so he put the magazine beside him on the couch and dived in for the delicacies in front of him. He was munching on his food when his eyes fell on the rack beside the table where the magazines were kept and saw the front page of the entertainment magazine that was under the business magazine a while ago before he picked that business magazine up to read that. His eyes blurred instantly when his mind processed the picture he saw on the front cover.

It was a picture of Kang Jieun with a man he could not recognize. The man was holding her waist, both of them looking at each other like they were the only beings that existed in the world. The title of the cover was 'Blossoming Love of the Nation's Princess' and the main content of the magazine was an exclusive interview of the newly formed couple he had no idea about.

Sehun felt his heartbeat quickening as he picked up the magazine, his hands fumbling violently the whole time. He turned the pages like a mad man until he found the page that contained the interview. His eyes scanned through the words, especially the ones of Jieun had told the interviewer. She had told the interviewer how she met the man, whose name was Lee Jong Woon, on her way to Florida 8 months ago. She had told her that she had taken the vacation for her piece of mind but ended up finding the love of her life in him. The man had not only accompanied her selflessly when she was trying to find her sanity, but also made her realize what true love is. She had also told in the interview jokingly that if it were up to her, then she would have taken him to the church at that very moment because of immense love she had for him.

Sehun read every word twice to make sure that he was seeing correctly, then abruptly closed the magazine. He looked at the picture on the cover page once again and kept looking at it until his vision blurred and a drop of tear fell on the page. He saw the look of fondness in Jieun's eyes, a look he had for himself only even a year ago. His knees buckled underneath him and he fell down on the floor with all his weight. He held the corner of the table for support as he could hardly hold himself up because of the breathing problem he was having. He clutched his chest tightly trying to catch his breath but failed miserably. Once he was able to take a sharp intake of breath, he broke down in tears, not being able to handle the pain of losing the love of his life permanently anymore. He was sobbing pitifully while caressing the picture of his ex-girlfriend when a broken whisper came out of his mouth.

"Have you really moved on?"

 


 

Yun Hee woke up very early to make herbal tea for her drunk husband again. She had been doing so for one month already, so it was nothing new to her. The first month of her married life had gone away in a blink of an eye and she could not remember anything different from that span of time. The whole month consisted of her waking up early in the morning to make herbal tea for her drunk husband and then going to the hospital, coming back from her work extremely tired late at night to find an already sleeping husband who always reeked of alcohol and changing his outfit into something comfortable while he remained unconscious, then going to sleep to end her day before starting another day that went in the same cycle. She was not surprised at his behavior since Jongin had told her about the new boyfriend of Sehun's ex, but could help feeling frustrated by his drinking habit. The only times she felt something vibrant in that month was when she met her family, friends and Jongin.

After she was done, she got ready for the hospital and left the house, not bothering to spare a glance to her husband. Once she stepped inside hospital, she totally forgot about the chaos of her home and found some solace in the distraction of her job. She remained immerged in her works until she was done with all her tasks. She looked at the clock and sighed when she realized that she done quiet early and had nothing else to do, which meant that she had to return to her soulless home early that day.

Once Yun Hee stepped her feet inside her home, she realized that something was different that day, as the living room was shining with bright lights and soft music of western classical could be heard coming from upstairs. She took careful steps towards her bedroom and opened the door to confirm her thought that the music was coming from there. Once she looked inside and saw what was happening, her mind was literally blown away since she could not believe her own eyes. She saw her husband cleaning the mess he himself might have made in that morning while humming to the tune that was playing on the speakers. Then he went towards the bed and arranged the bedsheets and the pillows before going to place the clothes that were thrown all around the room inside the closet. Once he came out of the closet, his eyes fell on Yun Hee who was still standing at the doorstep. Yun Hee felt her breath hitching as she saw that Sehun had gone through a makeover and was looking nothing like the dead self he had been portraying on the past month. She almost stumbled when she saw him smiling softly towards her before heard something she could never even dream of hearing from him.

"Welcome home, Yun Hee. How was your day?"

This was the first time he had called her with her name since the wedding. Yun Hee only gaped at him, she was shocked to the point of losing her ability to reply his question with words. She saw Sehun waving in front of her eyes and saying something but she could not hear anything as she kept looking at the rare but gentle expression of her husband that was for her. Then she felt Sehun shaking her slight;y which brought her out of her trance.

"Hey, Yun Hee! Are you okay?", Sehun asked, since he was getting no response from his dumbfounded wife. 

Suddenly he heard Yun Hee screaming like a crazy person and pointing towards him as she got away from him. "Who are you and what have you done to my husband? You cannot be the Sehun I know. Who are you? His Doppelganger? Tell me before I call the police."

Seeing her reaction, Sehun just chuckled slightly before hauling her up and placing her on his shoulders before he carried her to the bathroom. Then he placed her inside and locked the door from behind.

"Just freshen up, you stinky dramatic woman and then come downstairs to have dinner. I will be waiting at the table", he said before unlocking the door of the bathroom and going out of the room, while laughing loudly on his way to downstairs as he heard the loud gasps and mindless mumblings coming from the bathroom.

Once they were settled on the dining table, Sehun served food in two plates before placing one in front of Yun Hee and keeping one for himself. Then he said, "Let's start eating" and started eating his dinner. When he saw that Yun Hee was still gaping at him without pieven picking up her fork. He sighed and urged Yun Hee to start eating.

"What is happening?", Yun Hee asked breathlessly as she still could not believe anything.

Sehun just said, "Eat your dinner first then I will tell you everything." Then he continued eating his food. Yun Hee hesitated for a while before picking up her fork and started eating.

Once they were done with their dinner, Yun Hee wasted no time and said, "What is happening, Sehun?"

Sehun just turned to her then went close to her. Then he held Yun Hee's hand in his own ones, shocking her to every core before saying, "Yun hee-ah, let's try to be perfect spouses to each other. I genuinely want to give this marriage a chance."

 


 

Sehun was living a life that was akin to death. Everyday he woke up with massive headache and unbearable hangover, got ready for his day and left for office without taking the herbal tea Yun Hee left for him, overworked himself until the office hours ended, went to the bar and drank himself to the point of being numb and unconscious, knowing that his chauffeur would be there to drop him home and began the same cycle the next day.

This kept going on until one day, Jongin burst through the door of his office and knocked some sense into him. He gave him a huge lecture which went something like, "Stop ruining your life as well as the lives of others who care for you just for someone who doesn't deserve anything. If Jieun had really cared for you, then she would have stayed with you and accompanied you all her life instead of turning her back on you so abruptly. Open your eyes and look at the reality. learn to treasure those who actually care for you. You are not going to get anything from this attitude of yours. Grow up and handle your life properly. Give life a new chance. Show Jieun that you do not need her in your life, that you are better off without her. Move on with your life, with Yun Hee who is still there despite of everything. Give her a chance and she will become the constant of your life. I cannot see her in that miserable state of hers anymore just because you cannot set your priorities." Then he left the room like a passing wind, just like he had entered.

Sehun heard everything but what really caught his attention was the tempting idea of showing off to Jieun that he had moved on very well from her and didn't need her in his life anymore. "Maybe then she would realize the importance of me after believing that I  don't love her anymore and come back to me to beg me for taking her back. Maybe then she would return", he thought as he decided to give the idea of pretending to move on a go, not bothering to think that he could possibly end up hurting all the people around him in the process.