Broken Illusion

Ashes of Dreams

It was supposed to be a chilly morning, but Yun Hee woke up to feeling all suffocated and sweaty. She opened her eyes, only to find her vision blocked. For a second, she thought she was being kidnapped and taken away and she wanted to scream a Sehun so that he could come and rescue her.

But then she realized it was just her husband who had his arms wrapped around her tightly. It was rare to see Sehun being cuddly with her while sleeping. Usually she would be the one to do so because of her weird sleeping habits and she was pretty sure she annoyed Sehun every morning with her fingers involuntarily tracing his forehead and troubling his eyes. Sehun would be all guarded up even when he was asleep.

But seeing him closely for almost 8 months, Yun Hee knew that Sehun would also let his guards down sometimes, only if he were too tired. That morning proved to be one of those rare start of the day.

Yun Hee could tell that he was tired just by looking at his eye bags. The past week had been really tough for him. He was preparing for launch of the joint project, for which they were collaborating with the Kim Corp. Yun Hee knew that the project meant a lot to Sehun because it was his first project since he became the CEO of their company. The result of this project would obviously show the worth of Oh Sehun to the world, so the possibilities of it failing scared Sehun to his very core.

The project was obviously a huge success, making the investors, shareholders and the media congratulate the two successors of Brazen Electronics and Kim Corporation. Yun Hee felt really proud for both her husband and her friend when the media exclaimed that the two heirs were expected to exceed the achievements of the previous generation.

The whole week, Sehun was busy with interviews, press conferences, making public appearances; which left him with absolutely no time to rest. So now that he finally got a well deserved day-off, Yun Hee decided to let him rest as much as he could. She looked at the person lying in front of her, letting out heavy sighs which was a clear indication of his deeply asleep state. Despite the fatigue making it's presence visible, Sehun was looking serene and peaceful while sleeping like he always did. 

Yun Hee squirmed slightly in his arms, which made Sehun furrow his eyebrows in annoyance and tighten his hold around her. She felt her breathing stopping at the action and her heart skipping a beat. She almost gasped, not really used to such skinship. She wanted to get away from him instantly, but her curiosity got the better of her. She held her breath as she reached out her hand to his face and brushed her fingers against the smooth skin. She stiffened when Sehun let out a sigh at her action, as if she were afraid of getting caught.

Yun Hee remained straight for a while, until Sehun stopped moving. Then she touched his furrowed eyebrows with her fingertips and caressed them slightly. Her skin burned and her heart hammered madly at the contact, but her nerves couldn't care less as they were not letting Yun Hee stop. She caressed them until they straightened out again and Sehun relaxed under her touch, making his hold around her loosen a bit. Yun Hee took that chance and slowly removed the arm wrapped around her waist, while beating herself mentally to get rid of the intense urge to place a kiss on Sehun's forehead.

Once she was inside the shower, she placed a fist against her heart that was beating furiously. In the past few days, she could feel her heart starting to beat faster at the simplest interactions with Sehun. Whenever she would be in front of Sehun, it would start drumming loudly for no apparent reason, making her afraid of others possibly hearing it. Sehun's effect on her was getting out of hand and she couldn't find it in herself to control it. It's as if her mind wanted to be held captive by the effect. Weird!

Once she was done taking a shower, Yun Hee dried herself and put on a bathrobe before getting out of the shower and making her way towards the closet. When she was done getting fully ready for her work, she turned towards the bed and mouthed a soft 'sleep tight' to the still dreaming Sehun. A smile appeared on her face right after that, no matter how much she tried to fight it for not wanting to look silly. She shook her head slightly to compose herself and made her way downstairs, skipping happily with the goofy smile still attached on her face.

Despite of not being able to decipher them, Yun Hee admitted to liking the fluttering effects of Sehun on her.

 


 

When Yun Hee reached to the hospital, she rushed to let their chief resident know of her presence before getting to start working on the duties assigned to her. But when she was on her way to his office, a nurse informed her that all the interns were expected in the common room. Apparently, the chief had something to say to them. 

Feeling confused, she carefully made her way towards her destination. When she reached the room, she held the doorknob and took a deep breath before twisting it to open the door. The door revealed the figures of her fellow internss standing side by side while looking at her warily. She sheepishly smiled at them before making her way to stand beside Min Ah. Once she reached there, she tugged on Min Ah's elbow to grab her attention.

"What is happening here?", Yun Hee whispered in her ear.

"I don't know. I am confused myself. I have been sweating the whole time. Just look at my palm." Min Ah held up her palms to show Yun Hee the beads of sweat. "I am craving for Baekhyun's presence now. You know how he can comfort me with a single hug." Min Ah sighed dreamily.

"Then where is Baekhyun? Aren't you guys always joined to your hips?", Yun Hee said while scanning the room to detect a familiar redhead.

"Well, that idiot is always absent whenever I need him the most. Besides, this meeting was called for interns only. Your always seem to forget that he is pursuing his residency just because he is our team mate and is always around us."

"Oh, right. I...."

"Alright you bunch of screeching monkeys, stop gossiping and pay attention to my words because they are gonna change your lives", came the hollering voice of their chief.

"In a few months, approximately 8, some of you will be completing your internship. Yes, I said some of you because the result will definitely be based on your performances. Those who will fail to impress us will have to extend their internship."

"Then what about those who will do well?", came a question from a pediatric intern Yun Hee didn't know.

"Well, they will get to do their residency in the best hospitals of South Korea. And if anyone wants to move abroad, then we can recommend him to the bests of that country too. Our recommendation is not something petty, mind you."

That was enough to make the interns start murmuring among themselves. Yun Hee also looked at Min Ah with gleaming eyes to show her excitement, while Min Ah squealed lightly.

"Quiet, all of you. You are behaving as if you have already started your residencies. Stop this tendency to start gossiping anywhere. Instead focus on your improvement. These 8 months will be very much important to you, so learn it's worth. That's all for today. I will be taking your leave. Check your schedules from the notice board and start working."

The moment he was out of the room, everyone erupted in a never ending conversation. "Oh my God! We will be doctors." "Not exactly doctors. You could say, mini doctors." Sentences like that could be heard all around the room. Yun Hee and Min Ah were no exception. They were laughing like maniacs, at the same time were trying to be serious when they remembered that they should start working hard for passing this stage.

"Oh my God! Now this whole med feels real", said Min Ah. "I could also do my residency in a foreign country. sounds so good."

"But I know that you won't do so, because Baekhyun is here."

"You are right. I won't." Then she turned to face Yun Hee. "Hee, if you were given the chance to apply in abroad, then where would you apply?"

"In Switzerland. In my early college life, I used to dream about working and settling down there. That country is like my dream country after Korea."

"But why Switzerland?"

"Because that country is too beautiful to be true. Remember how I used to want to get away from my parents. Wanting to live in Switzerland is a result of that."

"Do you still want that, Hee? You know, to get away from here?", Min Ah asked tentatively.

Yun Hee looked at her for a few seconds before saying, "No. Because I am happy to be here with my friends and family. By family, I also mean my in-laws." Yun Hee smiled assuringly.

"And what about Sehun? Doesn't he make you want to be here?"

Yun Hee saw the curiosity in Min Ah's eyes, wanting to know about what she felt for Sehun indirectly. Honestly, she herself didn't know the real depth of her feelings, but she surely knew enough to be able to answer Min Ah's question.

"He does."

 


 

On her way to home, Yun Hee kept thinking about the weight of her answer the whole time. She admitted to Sehun being one of the factors she would weigh before taking life changing decisions. Yun Hee knew that Sehun was important to her, but she wondered when he became important enough to make her want to stay with him. Yun Hee had a lot of friends, some of them were pretty serious ones, like Min Ah and Jongin. She knew that they mattered a lot to her, but still, if she ever wanted to move away, then they would not have been able to stop her with their importance in her life. But today she realized that if she ever wanted to do something like that, then the thought of leaving Sehun behind would definitely falter her steps.

If those two were Yun Hee's best friend, then what was Oh Sehun?

The distance between her home and the hospital was not long enough as Yun Hee had once again reached her home even before she could come to a conclusion. She stepped out of the car and made her way towards the main entrance of their house. The door was opened by butler Jun right after she rang the doorbell, as if he was waiting for her. She found it weird because Mr. Jun never did anything without their order. He would usually be found in the kitchen if he were not given any order. It would take even a fast moving person a minute to come to the door from their kitchen.

"Welcome home, young mistress. I hope, you had a good day", he said after bowing at her and holding the door open.

"Well, I did. Is he home?", Yun Hee asked, not getting even a single heads up from her dearest husband the whole day.

"Yes, young mistress. He has been home the whole day, working on something."

Yun Hee wondered what he could be doing when he was supposed to be on a break as she entered the house.

"Okay. Uhm, Ahjussi, you wouldn't mind taking these files to the study, would you? I am feeling slightly tired," Yun Hee said, smiling weakly.

"You don't even have to ask, young mistress. I am here to help you anyway. Here, let me take these."

"Thank you, ahjussi. I will be taking your leave then", Yun Hee said, while giving him some files from the hospital. 

Mr. Jun bowed to her and went down the path to the study. Yun Hee let out a tired yawn before making her way to her bedroom, expecting to find her husband there. So, when she reached there and found no trace of her husband, she was bound to feel odd and so, she did. She was about to search for him, but her tired mind compelled her to take a relaxing before bath before going out on a hunt for her husband. 

Once she was done having a nice bath, she got out of the washroom and reached for her phone right after stepping her feet in her room. There was not a single call or a text from Sehun. Instead, she found a sticky note attached to it.

"Come meet me at the rooftop for our date. Wear something comfortable. And come soon.   -Sehun :)"

Dropping the phone on the bed carelessly, Yun Hee rushed to the closet before throwing away her bathrobe and putting on some decent clothes, the whole time smiling bashfully. She could not believe that she would be having her the first ever date of her life in a few minutes. She was debating whether to put on some make up or not, when she realized that Sehun had been on the rooftop for a while now, all alone.

So Yun Hee just combed her hair wet hair and ran to the staircase, climbing two steps at a time just to reach the rooftop. Her heart was thundering against her ribcage. So when she reached the door to the rooftop, she was a wrecked mess. She stood there, outside the door to compose herself. When her panting decreased a little, she opened the door, only to find her eyes getting blinded by lights.

There was a table at the center with two chairs around it. It was decorated with lilacs. The whole place was decorated with white and purple fairy lights, making the whole setting look like a galaxy. It was enchanting, beautiful.

"I hope I didn't disappoint you, my lady," came a voice from beside her. She turned to her left to find Sehun holding out his right hand for her to take. He was looking breathtaking in a plain white shirt and black denim jeans. His bangs, that had grown about two or three centimeters since his makeover, were tousled carelessly on his forehead. He was looking so snuggly, so real, so painfully handsome.

"Yes, you did, by asking me to hurry which ended up with me looking like a mess, while you look...", Yun hee stopped when she saw Sehun sporting a smug look.

"I look what, Yun Hee?"

"Decent", Yun Hee retorted before slapping on his stretched out arm.

Sehun let out a hiss and said, "Why so violent, woman?"

"I didn't even put on make up and rushed here right after taking a bath, you moron."

"And that makes you the Yun Hee I know, who doesn't like to dress up and likes to wear comfortable clothes."

"Even for a date?", Yun Hee asked to test him.

"Even for a date."

"Good observation. You are forgiven."

"Then will you please place your hand on mine? It is starting to ache."

Yun Hee burst out into laughing before placing her hand on his palm. Her heart sized when he clutched her hand tightly.

"So what are we supposed to do?", Yun Hee asked casually, trying to ignore the weird sensations that were happening inside her stomach.

"First, we are going to have our dinners because my dearest wife must be hungry after a long day at the hospital. Then we are just going to relax and do some stargazing, the stars should be up by then. We will talk. We could even fall asleep here if you want to."

"Sounds like a plan."

"I didn't want to do something that could exhaust you further. I just wanted you to have a peaceful time. We are both very busy with our schedules, so I wanted us to relax together and decided to make a date out of it."

"So my husband actually has a  brain that he can use."

Sehun let out a smirk and said, "I am a genius, a handsome one on top of that."

"Stop being a show off and take me to the food. I am famished."

Sehun looked shocked at her boldness for a while, Then he burst out into laughing and said, "Way to ruin the mood of a possible elegant date."

"I am like that, so learn to deal with it."

Sehun let go of her hand and went behind her to take a hold of both of her shoulders. Then he lightly led her to the dining table. "Let's go and dig in the food, because I am also hungry."

 


 

After a sumptuous dinner, the couple were lying down on a cozy mattress with their heads on one pillow, snuggling together with a blanket covering them. They were giggling, laughing and chatting with each other, while throwing a few playful punches at each other. If anyone were to look from afar, he would think they were a couple blissfully in love with each other.

After a while, when they were tired of all the movements, they simply laid straight on their backs while looking at the sky.

"The stars are so magical." Yun Hee sighed.

"They are hypnotizing." Sehun whispered.

"They make me so peaceful. I love this moment. This silence, this serenity, they are like lulling me to sleep." Yun Hee snuggled closer to Sehun. As if out of reflex, Sehun tightened his hold around her. Yun Hee closed her eyes for a second.

"I love this moment with you." Sehun mumbled before placing Yun Hee's head in the crooks of his neck and pressing his cheek against her hair. 

And then Yun Hee fell asleep to the soothing vibration of Sehun's voice as he talked about anything and everything.

 


 

Though Sehun wanted to remain there the whole night, with Yun Hee snuggling against him, he couldn't do so. It was an early winter night, so it was bound to get chilly if time went on. He nudged Yun Hee lightly to wake her up. But instead of waking up, she snuggled closer to him if possible. She was so deeply asleep that Sehun didn't have the heart in him to wake her and ask her to move to their bedroom. So he did what he thought was the best at that time.

He slowly entangled himself from Yun Hee's hold and got up from the mattress. Sensing his absence, Yun Hee clutched the blanket tighter to make herself warm. Sehun felt a weird sense of contentment and adoration when he saw the scene in front of him. He gently picked her up and carried her in bridal style, while she was still clutching the blanket tightly. Once he picked her up, she nestled her face in his chest as he carried her downstairs. 

Once he reached their room, he carefully laid her on the bed and covered her with another blanket, as the one she was clutching had become dirty because of getting dragged while touching the floor. She looked so small, so vulnerable while being covered with a fluffy blanket, unlike the strong upfront she always put whenever she was awake. 

Sehun felt his phone buzzing which pulled him out of his reverie. Afraid of waking Yun Hee, he made his way out of the room and closed the behind him, not before casting one last look at Yun Hee.

He looked at the caller ID and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion when he saw that it was Jongin. It had been a while since their argument and Jongin had stopped talking to him about anything beside work related stuff. So when he saw that Jongin was calling, he picked up the phone warily, getting an intuition of something bad. Oh! How right he was!

"Sehun-ah, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am fine."

"Oh! Thank God."

"Why? What happened?"

Jongin seemed to hesitate a bit before saying, "You don't know?"

"Know what, Jong?"

"Jieun is getting married to her boyfriend, Lee Jong Woon. It's all over the news."

There was a pause on both the sides. Then came a rushed reply from Sehun.

"Talk to you later, Jong."

"Se-" And the call was cut.

A month ago on a fine evening, Sehun had thought about what would happen if Jieun were to get married to someone else and have a family with him. He had weighed all the pros and cons and had estimated the amount of pain he could feel. He thought it would not hurt much since he had Yun Hee now. 

It hurt like hell. The pain in his heart was so unbearable that he could not even breath properly. Everything in front of his vision blurred and he fell down his knees while clutching his chest tightly, trying to rip out his heart.

 


 

Around midnight, Yun Hee woke up, feeling a sudden restlessness. She looked around her and found herself in their bedroom with no sign of Sehun. Feeling thirsty, she searched for water in her bedside table but found the jug empty. She sighed before making her way towards the kitchen.

After drinking a glass of water and filling up the jug. she was about to climb up the stairs but her eyes caught the light coming from the hallway and she stopped in her steps. She made her way towards the hallway and saw that the light was coming from the study. She went there and saw Sehun sitting on the floor with his head lying on the table, where he was probably working as she found his laptop open. 

 She placed the jug in a shelf and went towards Sehun to wake him up, since he looked really uncomfortable in that position. But when she got close to him, she saw tear streaks on his face, which made her crouch on her knees to get on his level. Then her eyes fell on the laptop window that lit up to warn about the low battery and showed the browser window that was open.

"The nation's princess is set to marry the man of her dreams." read the headline.

So that explained that tearstains.

Yun Hee calmly fetched a clean piece of cloth and wet it with the water from the jug she had brought earlier before crouching in front of Sehun and cleaned his face to get rid of the stains. Then she went to the nearest bedroom and brought a blanket from there to cover Sehun with it. She shut down the laptop and made her way out of the room, closing the door behind her as silently as possible.

On her way to the bedroom, Yun Hee tripped on her step a few times because of not being able to see properly. Yun Hee blamed the darkness for it. No one knew that the real culprits were the tears that were streaming down her face profusely.