Coming to Terms

Ashes of Dreams

It had already been a few days since Yun Hee's emotional outburst and they hadn't talked about it yet. Yun Hee was going out of her way to avoid the estimated conversation, while Sehun stayed quiet because he still didn't know what to say.

The first two days, Yun Hee was barely in the house. She would wake up as early as possible in the morning and leave the house after asking Mr. Jun to pack her breakfast and send it to the car. Then she would return at midnight, expecting Sehun to be already asleep by then.

Sehun also didn't bug her with his questions anymore. He already knew that she was spending her evenings with Min Ah in her apartment to prepare a report on a patient they both were supposed to present for their training on co-surgeries. He had called Min Ah around 11 o' clock to ask her about Yun Hee. Luckily, Yun Hee was at the kitchen at that time to fetch water for Min Ah, so he got to ask some other questions, like, for how long they were going to be working such long hours in the hospital and found out something Yun Hee probably wouldn't have told him.

They were supposed to have a lenient schedule for a while after their joint presentation the next day. So he knew that Yun Hee would be home more often from then, something his wife never mentioned to him. She didn't even mention that the reason of her delays at coming home till odd hours was this joint presentation. But Sehun didn't aggravate the issue because he knew that he was the one at fault. Yun Hee started creating distance between them, only because he started behaving like a dying lover for his ex when he wasn't supposed to.

 

Yun Hee came back around the same time as the previous days, the presentation and her other duties took her the whole day. Feeling exhausted, she slowly made her way towards their room and opened the door only to find Sehun deeply asleep, his chest moving up and down rhythmically.

Yun Hee sighed and went to the bathroom to clean up. When she was in front of the basin, she looked at the mirror and got lost in the memories of the night she confessed. The remembrance itself was enough to make her disappointed yet again as she recalled Sehun simply apologizing to her for invading her personal space, not minding her confession at all. He didn't even look the slightest bit of affected when she practically poured her heart out to him.

Yun Hee shook her head and splashed water in her face multiple times as she brainwashed herself to not thing about that night and feel embarassed again and again. Changing into somethig comfortable, she climbed the bed to lie beside Sehun. She stared at his peaceful face for a minute or two before turning on her side with her back facing Sehun. She fell asleep with one thought going around her mind. "It took him only three days to get tired of waiting for me."

Little did she know, Sehun opened his eyes right after she her side and spent the rest of the night thinking about Yun Hee's confession and his possible reply, just like he had been doing since the night it happened.

 


 

Sehun was fretting over what to say if any of them were to bring up the topic that night, as he knew that Yun Hee would finally be home early for a proper dinner after a long spell of messed up schedule. But when he was actually sitting in front of Yun Hee in the dining table having their dinners, he saw that Yun Hee had said a single word except 'How was work?' and kept eating her meal silently, She was so indifferent that Sehun kept gulping down his food and sneaking glances of Yun Hee from time to time.

When the dinner was done, Yun Hee got up from the table and informed him that she was about to retire to bed, before making her towards their bedroom. When she reached there, she was about to twist the doorknob of their bedroom when she felt her movement being stopped because of her wrist being held. She knew that it was Sehun even without looking sideways. So she looked at him and asked, "Is there anything wrong, Sehun?"

"Can we talk, Yun Hee?"

"About what, Sehun?", she asked, trying to be as indifferent as possible. "Is it about me coming late these days? Well, I had to prepare for..."

"I know that, Yun Hee. I wanted to talk about something else."

"About what?", she asked in a calm voice, pretending to not know anything.

"About what you said the other night", Sehun said hesitantly.

"Oh! About that." Yun Hee twisted her arm a bit to loosen Sehun's hold on her, but Sehun didn't let that happen. So Yun Hee took a deep breath before saying, "I thought we were done that very night when you apologized to me and I accepted it. What is left to be discussed then?" She was still calm, but Sehun could see that she was on the verge of losing it.

Sehun felt his throat drying as he said, "I am sorry for my actions. But you said it in the heat of the moment, Yun Hee. You probably didn't even mean....."

"Now you think you know my feelings better than I do, huh? Sehun, you should have known this by now that I never speak anything irrationally. My words have a great value." Finally the volcano inside her erupted.

"That's not what I meant, Yun Hee. I...."

"Now you are insulting me, Sehun. Do you think I am not capable enough to know what love is? Or is it really hard for you to accept that I have fallen for you?" Yun Hee smirked mirthlessly, "You probably don't want to be burdened with my feelings, that's why it is so difficult for you to accept it."

Sehun flinched inwardly as he realized that this was the second time Yun Hee said that she loved him. He still couldn't bring himself to get used to the idea becuase of the guilt that was haunting for not not confirming his own feelings yet.

Seeing Sehun debating with himself mentally instead of answering, Yun Hee shook her head and spoke up. "I guess, you don't have anything to say. So, let me go now." She twisted her arm again, but felt the fingers around her wrist putting more pressure on her. She looked up to see and Sehun's face and saw that his eys were casted down at their joined hands.

"Yun Hee, please", he said, without looking at her.

"What, Sehun? Do you have any answer?" Sehun remained silent, so she continued. "Look Sehun, I was okay with you taking your time in getting over her, but I certainly cannot take it if you discard me like nothing whenever something happens concerning her. It hurts like hell and so I don't want a repetition." She took another deep breath to regain her cool. "Now, let go of me, Sehun." This time, Sehun looked up at her, his eyes searching for some leniency in Yun Hee's eyes. But when he saw that Yun Hee's glance was hard as ever, he let go of her hand.

The moment he let go of her, Yun Hee opened the door and went inside the bedroom, not even looking at him once. His hand fisted again, probably to grasp the air around him to get rid of the emptiness.

 


 

The news about Jieun's engagement had died down in the entertainment world as well as in Sehun's mind. It was not like he had forgotten about it or, he had stopped hurting over it, it was just that he did not have the time to ponder over it. His mind was totally taken over by what was happening at his home. The whole day he would be thinking about how to bring back the atmosphere they used to have. His heart churned whenever he would remember the happiness he used to get just by being himself with Yun Hee. He couldn't let his one mistake ruin everything.

The last few days had been peaceful between him and Yun Hee. She was in a talking terms with him. In fact, she had started to discuss her plans for the whole day while getting ready for their day, ask him about his whole day while having their meals. But their little bickerings and Yun Hee's careless sarcasm were not there anymore. She was just keeping things civil and formal between them.

There was a weird eeriness around them. It's as if everything was a desperate effort to make their own selves believe as if nothing was wrong, that they were fine. The heart fluttering moments were getting filled with fake smiles. It's as if they were trying their best to leave something behind while putting up a facade. The whole situation was giving Sehun a headache.

On top of that, there was this another issue that his mind was occupied with, something he couldn't exactly point out. He was afraid of losing something and he didn't know of what. He felt as if something was slipping out of his hand and he wanted to grasp it desperately before it slipped away completely. The funny thing was he felt like that whenever he thought of Yun Hee. His mind was contemplating their conversation of last night.

 

Sehun was lying on his back, looking at the ceiling. He looked at his right and saw Yun Hee lying down with her back facing him. It was dark, so Sehun could not tell if she was asleep or not.

"Yun Hee, are you asleep?" He tried softly.

"Not yet. Do you need something?" Short and simple, her back still facing him.

Sehun smiled tiredly ​​​​​​and said, "No. Just can't fall asleep."

"Hmm."

There was a short pause before Sehun continued, "How did you know that you are in love with me?" That seemed to catch Yun Hee's attention as she also turned to lie on her back.

"I don't know exactly how. I just realized that I liked your company, I liked talking to you, I could trust myself with you, I cared for you and most importantly, I was content with the idea of you being my life partner. In other words, I could see my future with you. I got this warm feeling whenever I was around you. It was nothing rush, it was something plainly soothing", she said without looking at him.

"Then why are you still putting up with me? Even when I am not returning your feeling?"

"Is that why you are not able to sleep? Then don't fret over it. It's nothing important." She was about turn to the other side once agin, but Sehun stopped her. 

"No please. I want to know."

Yun Hee still turned to the other side and stayed quiet with her back facing him. Seeing her like that, Sehun assumed she would not reply, so he also didn't ask her again. It was probably a minute or two later, when heard something.

"There are... certain things you need to do, to protect what what you already have. I am just doing the same thing, without expecting for more." Then it was all quiet.

Sehun felt as if his heart was being churned when he realized that Yun Hee didn't expect anything from him, at least not anymore. He was afraid that if it kept going on for longer, her feelings for him might disappear altogether because of being constantly supressed inside her. And for some reason, Sehun didn't want that. Because despite of not saying anything, Sehun knew the happiness he felt when Yun Hee confessed her feelings for him.

 

Sehun was completely lost in his thoughts when he heard his chauffeur informing him that they had reached their destination. He snapped out of his thought and looked out to see a guard holding the car door open for him and bowing to him.

"Welcome home, young master", the guard said before moving out of his way. Sehun got out of the car and looked at the mansion in front of him. To anyone else, it would be the most majestic estate in South Korea, but to Sehun, it was where he had spent his entire childhood and teenage life. Taking the files he had brought with himself, Sehun closed the car door behind him and went out towards the house where he could see their old family butler already holding out the front door open. 

"Young master, glad to meet you."

"Glad to meet you too, ahjussi. How is your health? You should retire already, you know. You are not getting any younger, after all."

The old butler chuckled and said, "I have told your father that I will retire only if he does. So the mistress is constantly after both of us to retire and take care of ourselves."

"That totally sounds like mom." And they both laughed until they heard a coughing sound coming from inside. 

"It didn't take you even a second to start teasing your mom, huh?" Sehun looked over the shoulder of the man standing in front of him and saw his mom standing a few feet away from them. 

"Mom!" He didn't know how much he had missed his mom until he held the petite woman in his arms. He bended a little and nuzzled his face in the crook of her shoulder. "I missed you so much."

"And that's why it took you so long to come and meet your mom, right? You know what, I should denounce you and your brother in front of the world and tell them that I only have two daughters. Your sister-in-law and Yun Hee." Then she tiptoed a little and smacked him lightly on his head. "You and your brother don't seem to remember that you have parents. It's Hee Jin and Yun Hee who make sure to call me and your dad almost everyday and ask about our state."

"Yun Hee does that?" The small information made him feel really warm inside.

His mother nodded and said, "Not only that. She even came to visit us about a week ago during her lunchtime to do some regular check-ups of me and your father. She didn't tell you?"

She didn't. "She did, mom. It might have slipped out of my mind." He chuckled. "Where is dad? I had come here to discuss about some office works", he said, showing her the files in his hand.

"So you didn't come to visit only, huh? You little sneak." She laughed lightly. Her smile was so beatiful. In fact, Sehun always thought that his mother had the best smile in the world. So bright, so genuine, so comforting, even better that Jieun's. But now, there was someone else who could give his mother a tough competition with her smile. But it had been quite a long while since he had seen that blinding smile and he missed it, so damn much. All he got those days were tight-lipped, force smiles and empty chuckles.

When her laughter died down, his mother replied, "He is in his study. That is where you can find him all day. I am so tired with that workaholic man. The fact that you two have taken after him frustrates me even more. Now go and meet him. I will ask someone to bring snacks in that room. I will be in the garden. Do meet me when you are done with your manly talks, alright?" She patted his shoulder before calling out a maid she saw passing them and went to the kitchen with her, leaving him alone in the living room.

When Sehun reached the study, he knocked on the door a few times to announce his arrival and went inside when he heard a muffled "Come in" from inside. Coming face to face with his father who had a stack of legal documents in front of him, he was going through one by one and fixing his glasses once in a while, some were being signed and some weren't.

"What are you doing, dad?"

"Going through the property papers. Your old man is planning to retire in a year, son."

"In a year? Are you alright?", Sehun said while taking a seat in front of his father.

"Perfectly fit and fine, as you can see", his father said without looking up.

"Then why this sudden decision to retire?"

"Nothing. Just want to dedicate my whole time to your mom "

"Alright, then who is going to be your successor, dad?", Sehun said, raising one of his eyebrows.

"I was planning to leave it up to you two monkeys. You two are mature enough to decide mutually."

'Aren't you afraid that there would be a bloodbath between us to succeed the great Oh empire?"

Mr. Oh chuckled and said, "No, I am afraid of both of you turning down the position since you two are too busy with your own worlds. There might be a fight between you two on that."

"Dad!", Sehun whined. "Stop teasing us or I am telling Hyung."

"Whatever. Now tell me, how have you been doing? How is Yun Hee?"

Sehun's smile faltered a little at that as he replied. "Great. We are doing great. Both of us."

His father looked up at him and removed his glasses, focusing his whole attention on his son. "You know, Sehun, even though you are married, that doesn't mean we are not your parents anymore. You can tell us anthing. Anthing." He emphasized the last word.

"What do you mean, dad?"

"Sehun, we know the news. Your mom was really worried about you. But she started getting worried sick when Yun Hee visited us the other day. She didn't seem like our Yun Hee, if you know what I mean."

Now Sehun was sceptic, because the last words of his dad didn't sit quite well with him. He was worried. "How did she look like then?"

"A person with a happy mask. Apparently, she was trying too hard to keep up the happy facade and that's where she gave away her reality."

Now he was desperate. "I don't know, dad. I don't. I know that she is trying to tone down her expectations when it is justified for her to have them and that's why she is hurting. And that's also where my limitation is. Because I don't know if I can meet up with her expectations."

"Then make yourself enough to meet up with her expectations. The real question is - do you want to?"

"Want to what, dad?"

"Meet up with her expectations?"

The answer came from Sehun almost in a heartbeat. "I desperately want to." He desperately wanted to return her feelings.

"Then you are halfway there, son." His father smiled knowingly. 

"What do you mean, dad?"

"How are you so sure that she wants you to fulfil her expectations right away? What if, she just wants you to feel the need in yourself to hold onto her?" When his father still saw Sehun looking at him dumbfounded, he chuckled amusingly. "This is the problem with your generation. You guys make love seem so complicated when it's actually not."

Suddenly, everything seemed to click in his mind and the puzzle pieces started fitting when he realized that all this while, Yun Hee never wanted him to say that he loved her back. She just wanted him to never stop trying to love her. She just wanted his acknowledgement, his assurance. And he had come to learn about his own feelings enough to know that he could give that to her.

 


 

Yun Hee was about to call Sehun, when she heard the front door opening. She just straightened her facial features and plastered a soft smile on her face before meeting him halfway through the living room. 

"You are late. It's almost 11:30. What took you so long?", she said all these with a smile.

"You know, you can show your annoyance on my late arrival, Yun Hee. I was with dad discussing some papers. Is dinner served?" 

"No. But I will ask Mr. Jun to serve it, so go and freshen up. I will be waiting for you at the table."

"As you wish, ma'am." His effort to lighten up the mood went futile as Yun Hee gave him a tight-lipped smile again before making her way towards the kitchen.

The dinner was good as Yun Hee told him about her day at work and asked about his mom and dad. He replied to that and also told her about his own day. It was a good formal dinner. After the dinner, Yun Hee politely took his leave and said that she was about retire to bed. When she was out of his sight, Sehun held his breath and kept waiting things folding as planned. It took a while, but it came, the call he was waiting for.

"Sehun, can you please come here?" Yun Hee called from upstairs . When he reached there, he saw Yun Hee holding the thing that took him so long to come home, a square velvety box. Yun Hee opened it to reveal a beautiful white gold diamond ring. 

"What is this, Sehun?"

"A symbol of a promise that I am about to make."

"What promise?", the question came out a bit warily.

Both of them were holding their breaths and could literally hear each other's drumming heartbeats. Then Sehun said those words that he himself didn't know that he wanted to say so desperately until then. 

"Oh Yun Hee, about my feelings, they might not be love yet, but I promise to give my all for this marriage and for falling in love with you, because I have also come to care for you almost as much as you do for me and love your presence in my life enough to not want to lose it, ever."

Then he slid the ring through her index finger because her ring finger was already adorned with her platinum wedding band. It was a perfect fit and was looking perfect on Yun Hee. Then Sehun kissed both the rings on her fingers and whispered, "Happy birthday, Oh Yun Hee."

He felt a sense of pride inside him when he noticed that Yun Hee didn't retract from his touch this time.

 


 

Hey, guys. This is anikasen. 

I just wanted to let you know that even though I had never planned on writing another story, my mind suddenly ended up creating a new story plot and I couldn't help posting a story on that. So here I am, presenting a brand new, with a totally different plot. If any of you are up for a full-on angsty story, with a mafia background, please make sure to check out my story - Broken Souls

Love you all.