The Shock

You Are Not Alone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Joy returned home after practice with dinner in her hands. She ran into the bedroom to check on Sungjae right away.

 

Joy: Sungjae oppa, I'm back, how are you feeling? Any better?

Sungjae: *Face lights up* You're back! Yea I'm better after getting some sleep, my head still hurts but at least I'm feeling less nauseous... 

Joy: Good good, I brought home some congee for dinner, I know you probably don't have much appetite but just have some okay?

Sungjae: Okay, Eunkwang hyung called earlier, I got to talk to him for a bit

Joy: Ooh it's been so long since I've last seen Eunkwang oppa, how is he doing?

Sungjae: Good, he says after training so much he's stronger than me now

Joy: Hahaha

Sungjae: I doubt it though~ How was practice?

Joy: Super tiring, I'm exhausted now, but it was good, I've worked up quite a sweat, that's why I smell so bad right now

Sungjae: Sooyoung-ah...

Joy: Yea?

Sungjae: Thank you...

Joy: All of a sudden? For what?

Sungjae: For taking care of me even though you're already so tired... With all that happened, you're already having a very hard time, I should be the one who's taking care of you and making sure you're okay, yet I'm the one who's laying sick here needing you to take care of me...

Joy: Oppa, don't say that... Yes, it isn't easy to get through the day, but actually worrying about you all day has kinda taken it out of my mind, so in a way you helped me by keeping me distracted... Plus, taking care of you is something I love doing, because I love you~ All you've been doing is taking care of me, so let me take care of you for a change, stop feeling sorry, didn't I tell you to stop saying you're sorry?

Sungjae: Yes you did... That's why I didn't say I'm sorry, I said thank you instead...

Joy: Good, from now on, no more feeling sorry towards each other, we take care of each other and share our problems, okay? No more blaming ourselves, and no more keeping things to ourselves, okay?

Sungjae: Right, we'll bear the pain together, and we'll get through it together~

 

They smiled at each other lovingly, conveying their deepest feelings without having to say a word. In this moment, they have taken another step closer towards to road of healing, hand in hand.

Soon, days passed as Sungjae began to recover. He was still a little sick with a light cough and a mild headache, but his fever is gone thanks to Joy's nurturing. The two of them returned to their busy schedules, packed with fansigns, practice and filmings. As they returned to their routine, work became a very good distraction for them, allowing their mental health to gradually improve. Although they still have their moments of pain and sadness, they had each other to lean onto. 

On this day, Sungjae was out filming for a new episode of Master In The House, while Joy was performing with Red Velvet at a small university event. It was a relatively warm day as it was late Spring in early May, but Sungjae still obediently put on a jacket as per Joy's request. Knowing Sungjae was sick, the hyungs took extra care of their maknae during filming. Se Hyung made sure Sungjae took his medicine on time, Seung Gi glanced at Sungjae to check on his condtion from time to time, while Sang Yoon helped Sungjae with his maknae duties like carrying heavy items. 

Meanwhile, at Red Velvet's performance, they were singing and dancing their hearts out, entertaining their fans with their greatest hits. The fans' cheering grew louder and louder with each song. At the end of "Really Bad Boy" their performance ended in hype with a blast of fireworks. Upon hearing the loud and sudden noise, Joy crouched over in shock. Unable to keep a straight face from her panic attack, she quickly raced off the stage and ran towards backstage. The members gazed at her worriedly while unable to abandon the stage and goto her. The staff memebrs and Red Velvet's manager crowded around Joy to check on her. They all glanced at each other, not knowing what to do. They were all aware that Joy has always been afraid of fireworks, but it was the first time she had gotten into such a serious panic attack from it. Knowing that Joy has been acting weird lately due to personal reasons, the stylist unnie asked the staff members to disperse and give Joy some space.

 

Stylist: Deep breaths Sooyoung-ah, deep brea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter