6 장

Hard to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How's it going?"

Sehun looked across the table at Jongin, who is lounging at his living room. They are waiting for Chanyeol and Baekhyun to arrive with lunch and then pool game later. Jongin had arrived earlier while Sehun was finishing up some school work.

Returning his focus on his work at hand, he pretended not to understand the question. "What?"

"Hana," Jongin keenly observed Sehun's reaction to the name. "I know we did say there is no deadline, but from where I am sitting, you seem to be taking your damn sweet time."

Typing the last few words, Sehun saved it before shutting down his laptop. He leaned back against the sofa.

"I've made my move. But she's someone I need to take it a bit slow."

"Is it her or is it you? You seem to deal with her differently."

Sehun snorted. "She's not special. Even though she seems to think she is. So I need to get her to let her guard down."

Jongin nodded, satisfied that his friend is aware of the situation. He had been worried that Sehun is changing for a girl of no consequence. Right on cue, the door bell rang and the two beagles entered the penthouse, immediately filling up the apartment with noise. 

 

Hana was walking out of the campus to catch the bus to her workplace when she noticed Sehun's car parked ahead, with the man himself leaning against his car. She no longer care if anyone sees him talking to her because no matter what actually happens, people interpreted it the way they wanted to anyway. And by then, she was getting used to bumping into him. As she neared his car, Sehun stood up.

"Hey."

Hana smiled and returned the greeting.

"Are you going to work now?" 

Hana was surprised he knew that she works but then, she had never hide it from her friends. Just that she didn't expect him to bother finding out. She just nodded in response. 

"Get in.. " he instructed her before stopping himself. "Hmm.. Let me send you," Sehun corrected himself. He wasn't used to asking or suggesting, but he had to change his style. It however does annoy him. Seeing her shook her head aggravated him further because his attempt to be nice is not even appreciated. "Please."

"Why?" Hana asked him.

"Why what? A friend cannot offer to send you to work?" he retorted.

Hana stood still and stared at him. She really wondered what he wants with her and she really doubted its friendship. Oh Sehun that she heard of does not make friends, not with girls anyway. But he has been simply nice to her recently, so how could repay it otherwise.

"Are we really friends?" she wondered out loud, her eyes searched his face and tried to read him. But, with his hooded eyes, it was impossible.

Sehun saw the skepticism etched on her face. Maybe this move was too soon, he wondered. 

"If we are not friends, what are we then?" he smirked.

It was a rhetorical question that needed no answer. But she decided to play along, "An acquintance, perhaps?" she replied, a smile playing on her lips. Her smile widened when she saw the twinkle in his eyes. There's no denying that his eyes, that are often too intense to stare into, are beautiful. It is often dark and mysterious, which piqued her curiousity, yet also served as a warning not to get in too deep. Before she allowed herself to lose herself in his eyes, she caught sight of her bus from the corner of her eyes. 

Stepping aside, she rushed, "I got to run." But Sehun held her wrist as she was about to sprint. "Sehun," she implored as she tugged unsuccessfully from his firm, yet gentle grip but he held on. Hana was left frustrated when she saw the bus drove off.

Disgruntled, she turned to him, "Now look what you've done!"  Her lips were pursed unhappily, and her brows were furrowed in annoyance.

With his hand still on her wrist, he opened the door to his car with the other and tugged her gently towards it. Hana wanted to not give in but she knew if she didn't accept his offer, she was going to be late for work as the next bus would be in half an hour. With the most unwilling look she could muster, she tugged her hand free and huffily got into the car. While she waited for him to get into the driver seat, she pulled on the seatbelt, clutched her bag across her chest tightly and turned her head towards the window.

Sehun chuckled at her show of tantrum. Usually he has no patience for such behaviour, but this time, he had actually found it cute. After a few minute of drive, he glanced at her. Her face was still turned away from him, and he saw the terseness on her profile.

"Hey," he called out. But there was no response.

"You need to help me here if you don't want to be late for work. Where do you work?" Because of her reaction, he had just driven off campus in the direction of the city although he had no clue the location of her workplace.

A ready retort was at the tip of her tongue, but she held back. She really didnt want to be late for work. Grudgingly she told him. 

The rest of the ride was in silence. Sehun knew she was still upset for being forced to take the ride from him, hence he didn't want to push her button further. But even though it seems he was focused on the drive, he silently observe her. Her dressing does indicate that she is not well off, not even middle class. Yet she was able to pull together simple clothes to look attractive. The way she sit, with her hands around her bag, her back straight and legs close together, shows that she is someone who carries herself well and has proper decorum. Even her unpainted nails are trimmed simply, neat and well cared for.

When they arrived in front of the cafe, Hana wanted to leave the car quickly. Throughout the journey, she contemplated on whether she should thank him for the ride; she was forced into it but then, he did drive her to work. Finally, her good upbringing insisted that she should say her thanks before. But she would do it quickly even though she has time to spare. But right after she released the seat belt, she heard his voice.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made you take my car." His voice sounded sincere. 

Surprised that this man is capable of apologising, Hana raised her head to meet his gaze. It wasn't hard or intense as before, in fact there was a certain tenderness in the way he is looking at her then. 

"Sehun, I really don't know what you are trying to do here. I could flatter myself that someone like you would actually spare a second for a nobody like me, but I know better. I'm not your kind of girl," she spoke calmly. His eyes remained on her, not even a flicker as he listened intently. "So if this is some kind of game you are playing, please stop."

After a pregnant pause, she thanked him and left. 

Sehun continued to stare at the retreating back, and only turned to drive off after she has disappeared into the cafe. As he drove away, he thought about her words. He admitted that she is smart, smart enough to know that he is playing with her. That's explain why she has been resisting. "Well, sorry sweetheart. You seem like a nice girl, but a bet is a bet and I can't back off on this one. I have a reputation to maintain."

 

Jongdae was excited over lunch that he could barely sit while waiting for his friends to get their food and joined him and Kyungsoo. He fidgetted in his seat, played with his chopstick and kept standing up as he looked for Hana, Wendy and Junmyeon. Despite his willingness to be understanding about Jongae's excitement, it was getting on Kyungsoo's nerve.

"Damn it Jongdae, sit down! They are already at the front of the line, they'll be here shortly."

With a huff, Jongdae sat down. He pouted like a child after being scolded. But his face lit up when his friends finally joined them.

"Guys! Changyeol sunbaenim said that I will get to play tonight," he beamed at his friends who were about to take their seat. 

Junmyeon nodded, "Yeah, you told us the other day."

"No, no. The other day, he said, I may be playing. This time, he assured me that I will get to play at least a quarter. You all are coming right?"

"Ya, we already said we are going to the game," Kyungsoo was getting more and more annoyed.

"Jongdae-ah," Hana called him. "I've got permission to start work late, so I will see you at the game. But I may not see you after. I hope that is ok."

His lips widened into a huge smile. He was delighted that she would at least be able to see him play. "Thank you Hana-ah. I will show you my best!"

 

The indoor athletic facility on the campus was packed as the basketball game that night was between Yongsei and Korea University, where rivalry in basketball has been decades long. Hana was amazed at the seas of blue and spotted of gold in the stands. their school colours. Their solidarity was heartwarming. She quickly climbed up the stairs to join Wendy and Junmyeon, who had come early to find good seats. They were seated slightly behind the courtside of their team benches. Kyungsoo followed closely behind and sat down beside her.

"Wow! It's packed," she exclaimed as she looked around. Then she found an area with Korea University supporters in red. "There's quite a lot of support for Korea U too!" Wendy nodded and excitedly shared information about the basketball game to the newbie Hana, who listened intently. Its her fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter