4 장

Hard to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a lovely summer morning, with the sun shining brightly against the clear blue sky. Alighting from the bus, Hana crossed the road and walked on the long campus driveway, as usual not paying attention to her surrounding as she enjoyed the music playing on her phone. Hana doesn't have much time nor the money to spend on herself. Music has been the one that takes her away from the hard times in her life.

Back in her hometown, a cinema or bowling alley are in the town located a couple of hours drive away. Though youths her age would go there on the weekends, she rarely had such opportunity since she would be needed at home to help with the chores. Therefore, music has been her source of entertainment while she was growing up. She would sing and dance along to the music. Her dongsaeng thinks she is good enough to try to be an idol, but she knows that was too long a shot to consider. Hana is anything but pragmatic. Because her life doesn't give her much room to dream of the impossible. 

As she continued her walk while singing silently along to Dean, the corners of her eyes noticed the surreptious stares and whispers behind hands that seems to target her.  She turned and returned the look from a small group of girls that were more than obvious that they were gossiping about her, and these girls quickly turned around, pretending otherwise. On campus, every little things gets gossip about. She is aware of that. But she rarely been a topic of those gossips, except when she rejected someone popular. Like when she turned down Jungkook recently or the campus hotshot Baekhyun weeks ago. But those gossip died down quickly because most people knew she had no interest in dating. What confused her is that she had not rejected anyone recently, so she shouldn't be in any gossip. Deciding it is not worth her time to worry about such tiresome thing, she ignored it and continued focussing on Dean's sultry voice.

"Good morning," Wendy greeted her as she grabbed Hana's arm. 

"Morning. Where's your better half?" she returned the greeting as she interlocked their arms together.

Wendy pouted. "I'm the better one!" she whined.

"Aigoo. Of course, of course."

"Hey, what is this I've heard about you and Sehun?" Wendy lowered her voice.

"Huh?" Hana seems confused. She glanced at her friend, who was watching her curiously. "What about me and Sehun?"

"You didn't talk to him yesterday?"

"Yesterday?" Hana furrowed her brows. "Yeah.. but"

"Hana!"

At the shout, both Wendy and Hana stopped and turned. They saw Jongdae running towards them.

"Are you dating Sehun?" he asked immediately upon reaching them, his breathing was laborious from the run.

"What?" Hana asked incredulously.

Wendy smacked Jongdae's arm. "Shut up. Don't you add on to the gossip. I'm just asking Hana about it." Jongdae at once felt guilty. Shamefaced, he softly apologised to Hana.

Noticing that her bestfriend is clueless about the gossips that are heating up the campus that morning, she explained that a few people had seen Sehun and Hana chatting just outside the campus the previous day. Just the two of them. And since Sehun is famous for not entertaining girls, unless it was for one thing, there were variations of speculations about it. The most scandalous speculations was that they were making plans for a hot night. But the most popular one was that Hana rejected the other guys because she wanted the hottest guy on campus and that she was chasing after him all along.

Hana scoffed. "Ah yes, I would really want to date that playboy, the most infamous player of all time," she commented sarcastically.

"Then what happen? You didn't talk to him at all?" Jongdae asked. 

Feeling annoyed that she had to explain something that occurred for the most insignificant two minutes of her life, she grumbled. "He stopped me on my path. Being a prick about it. Offered to send me back. I rejected and ran to catch my bus that appeared. It was barely two minutes for goodness sake!"

"Well, lets hope he doesn't think you are using him to be popular in school," Jongdae concluded.

Stunned, Hana stopped in her tracks and turned towards Jongdae.

"Excuse me!"

Jongdae shook his head and patted her arms assuringly. "I know you didn't. Just that some girls tended to do that before. That's why he no longer talk to girls unless necessary, because a lot of rumours spread from any conversation with him are mostly by the girls themselves."

Her head started throbbing. "Lets see if he tries to jump to that conclusion," she fumed.

 

By lunch time, she was so used to the sneaky glances and whispers around her that her brain automatically blocked it. Wendy and Hana joined the cafetaria queue as they discussed the menu.

"They have sweet and sour chicken today," Wendy was excited. Its her favourite dish from the cafetaria.

Hana was eyeing the dessert menu. She has a sweet tooth and especially for tiramisu and today, that was on the menu.

"They have bulgogi too. You like that,"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter