10  장

Hard to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you think you brought the attack on yourself?” Ms Lee, the counselor spoke gently.

After an initial hesitation, Hana eventually opened up to the counselor, detailing the attack, the shameful flashbacks and the frightening nightmares. It was like the floodgate was pried open and all the pain and sadness bottled up inside came tumbling out. Hana had also confided that she was unable to confide the attack to her best friend.

“I know that nothing gives him the right to do that to me. I’m not excusing him from his action.  But, I cannot absolve myself of the guilt either. I knew his intent from the very beginning. My friends warned me. Many times. Yet I still entertain him because I enjoyed being with him. I .. I do like his attention,” her voice barely above a whisper.

“Because the most popular guy was showing interest in you?”

“No. His popularity or his status actually makes me uncomfortable,” she explained. Looking out the window in the office to the clear blue sky, she continued wistfully, “He makes me feel good. His teasing, the way he looks at me, his voice, his light touches, it makes me giddy..” Hana closed her eyes. “That’s how a player works, I know that,” she sighed. All those feelings he kindled in her wasn’t because he was giving her special attention. It probably meant nothing for someone like Sehun.

“You like him?”

“I’m not supposed to. I am confident I won’t. I told my friends that.”

“But you did? You fell for him.”

Hana bit her lips. There was no denying. She did fall for him, for his tricks. She was a willing victim. So she nodded reluctantly.

“You like him. It does not mean he can force himself on you. Liking him does not give out the invitation for him to attack you.”

“Because I could have prevented it!” Hana closed her eyes. “I am responsible for my person, my own well being. I know what he was after, whether by force or by seduction, I should have stayed away from him. I should not have agreed to dance with him, I shouldn’t have left my friends to have drinks with him. How am I any different from any girl that he gives a tiny bit of attention. I was overconfident that I, a nobody can play along with him, a seasoned player without getting hurt,” Hana gushed out angrily. Angry at herself.

“My friends repeatedly warned me about him. That he is dangerous. What was I thinking by playing with fire?” her voice lowered in dismay.

“Do you think that your friends, your best friend would blame you for letting it happen despite their warnings?” the counselor spoke after she gave Hana a few moments to gather her composure.

“I’m ashamed for putting myself in this situation. They’ve warned me many times,” she sobbed.

“Your friends arranged for this session. It is because they care for you. Do you think they are going to blame you for what happened?”

Tapping his foot on the floor nervously, Kyungsoo waited anxiously outside the consultation room. Wendy’s persistent messages, checking on Hana was not helping his anxiety. The friends were speculating whether Hana would open up to the counselor. His phone buzzed again. From a quick glance, he saw the notification from Junmyeon, asking him to update as soon as he could cos his girlfriend is feeling anxious. Kyungsoo almost rolled his eyes but held himself back because he knew it is all because of their concern for Hana.

His eyes snapped up to the consultation door when he heard the sound of the doorknob. Quickly he kept his phone in his pocket and stood up as he watched Hana saying her goodbye respectfully. His eyes keenly watched Hana’s face. When she turned and saw him standing nearby, Hana gave him a shy smile. He waited as Hana approached him. His heart started racing when Hana raised her arms as if she was going to give him a hug, but as she neared, she let her arms dropped to the side. Kyungsoo could not help but felt a little disappointed at the almost hug, but maybe it was just too soon for her.  With a gentle smile, he urged her to walk towards the car park.

“Thank you,” Hana turned towards Kyungsoo who was driving her to work.

His eyes remained facing the traffic ahead, but his lips curled slightly. “You are most welcome. As long as you remember we are friends, always.”

Hana nodded slowly, acknowledging and appreciating the friendship. Biting her lips, she pondered how much is she willing to share with Kyungsoo and her friends. Sighing softly, she praised the counselor for her patience and her ability to make her open up.

“But.. could you give me a bit of time?” she asked tentatively. She doesn’t want to offend Kyungsoo after all his help, but she has not gathered enough courage to share it with him.

As the car stopped at the traffic junction, Kyungsoo turned to Hana. He smiled understandly. “You don’t have to tell me or anyone else. We just want you to be ok, that’s our priority. I don’t need to know.”

Hana smiled gratefully.

Kyungsoo shared with the rest of the friends that Hana did speak to the counselor, but she is not ready to share with them. He repeated what he told Hana and all the friends agreed. As long as Hana is fine, they do not need to know the actual incident. Most importantly, all of them were relieved that she was able to share her thoughts with someone and hope that it will help her deal with whatever it is that bothered her.

 

Squinting against the light rays that brightened up her bedroom, Hana paused a moment before her lips curled into a relaxed smile. Spreading her arms on her bed, she fanned it around before letting out a small giggle. It’s the first time in two weeks that her sleep was not disturbed by a nightmare. She felt restful and relaxed. She had never appreciated a good sleep as much as she had that morning.

Hana was eternally grateful to her friends. Opening up to the counselor has lightened the burdened on her shoulder and ease the ache in her heart. Even at work, she was smiling more that her colleagues had noticed the change. The atmosphere in the café was lighthearted and jovial.  

Picking up her phone, she sent off a text.

 

Wendy was tapping her fingers absentmindedly on the breakfast counter as she waited for Junmyeon to finish preparing their breakfast.

“Oppa…” she called out softly.

Junmyeon sighed. He knew the question that was going to be asked. It was probably the fiftieth time since last evening. Although he understood Wendy’s worry as he is a very understanding and patient guy, but the repeated question where no one had any answers to, were wearing him thin.

“I hope she did talk to the counselor. Don’t you agree?”

A slight smirk formed on his handsome face. His girlfriend finally changed her question, although it was still on the same topic. “Yes,” he answered simply, choosing to focus on flipping the omelette.

Wendy grabbed her phone the moment it buzzed.

From Hana

Good morning babe. Are you free to have

brunch at my place this morning?

 

Wendy immediately jumped off the stool. She texted back affirmatively before looking up at her boyfriend who had turned around when he heard her jump.

“Hana ask me to go over for brunch. I’ll go now. You ok?” she eyed the breakfast he was preparing.

Junmyeon just smiled and waved her off. He will just have to finish off whatever he had prepared.

 

The two girls had a delicious meal of fluffy pancakes that Hana made. After the enjoyable brunch, they sat at the sofa. Throughout the meal, Wendy has been itching to ask Hana about the visit with the counselor but she held back, allowing Hana to take her time and share whatever that she is comfortable with.

Hana sipped on her sweet tea and placed her cup on the table. Following suit, Wendy placed her cup besides hers. The moment she leaned back against the back of the sofa, Hana turned to face her and grabbed her hand. Smiling sheepishly, she expressed her gratitude.

“Thank you for caring so much. The talk yesterday really helped and I’ve realized that I should have confided in you sooner,” Hana confessed.

Wendy beamed. Her heart lightened considerably that not only Hana did opened up, but it had helped her. The only acknowledgement she gave was a reassuring squeeze as she waited for Hana to continue.

Hana explained the event that night and the effect it had on her. Wendy was enraged as she heard the story, but she held her voice. Tears streamed down her face as she listened to her best friend tearfully rehashed it.

Sniffling at the end, she saw a tearstreaked Wendy was angered and worried. Hana wiped the tears off her bestfr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter