16 장

Hard to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Hana waited outside the lecture hall for the current class to end so that she can get to her seat for the next lecture, she kept her eyes down, scrolling on her phone. Since she stepped onto the campus that morning, the whispers and stares started again. Based on the snippets she heard from the hallways and through her group chats, it seemed that the campus’ gossips are rife on her “study dates” with Sehun and the fact that she left with him the night before. Many speculations, some are blatant lies continued to spread. No longer a novice in such matters, she had been mentally prepared. But it still annoyed her to no ends.

Finally the doors of the lecture hall burst open, spitting out students into the hallway. Her head snapped up and she quickly straightened against the wall, avoiding contact with the rush of students out of the room. She waited for the crowd to disperse, not wanting to waste energy in battling with others. When it was safe, Hana went to her preferred seat, where she had a good view of the professor, projector and whiteboard. The seat gave her the perfect view to gain as much from the lecture and to keep her attentive. She is here for the education, hence spending countless hours with studying, barely going out except to work. She takes it seriously.

And hence, she won’t allow the gossips to distract her. Though she wishes people didn’t believe everything they hear. But the reality of college life is that rumors spread like wildfire. And people chose to believe them, not because of the truth, but because it was juicy gossip to talk about. And if the subject matter is Oh Sehun, the interest increased tenfold. And unfortunately, it seems that Hana is often associated with the campus favourite subject matter.

 

“I heard she blackmailed him to tutor her.”

“I thought he knocked her up?”

“That’s what she initially claimed and when she obviously can’t prove it is true, she now claimed she lost the baby.”

“Wow! How can she be so scheming? And she looks so innocent.”

“Sehun is fooled by that innocent face.”

“Poor Sehun.”

“Haizz. She must be so desperate. Sehun would never have given her a second look otherwise. She is so not his style”

 

Gripping her bag tightly, Hana wanted to scream at the girls. To shout the truths to their faces. But as she watched Professor Choi took the stand, she closed her eyes and took deep breaths. There is no point. They chose to believe whatever they want, it’s not a matter of truth or false. Everything is out of control. She just has to ride the wave and hopefully not drown. With that depressing conclusion, Hana let all the white noise fade into the background as her mind focused on the professor.

 

 

Sehun feels on top of the world. Their basketball team is onroute to the national championship. Tonight’s win just cemented their position; there is huge differences in points between the top two teams. Though mathematically still a possibility but the probability is low that Yonsei will lose its position at the apex.

When they entered the restaurant for the celebratory dinner, other students who were dining there, stood up and applauded the team. There were a lot of thumping of backs and congratulatory greetings shouted their ways as they sauntered to their reserved seating. Sehun acknowledged it with quick nods but his face widened into a huge grin when he saw Jongin and Baekhyun, already seated.

“Congrats! Dude, you were outstanding tonight!” Jongin clapped Sehun back.

“It’s an everyday thing, dude,” he sniggered, turning away from a laughing Jongin towards Baekhyun. He gave Baek a one man hug before sitting down to the well deserved dinner.

Dinner was a loud affair. The guys fought among themselves to recant snippets of the games, boasts arrogantly and laughing loudly. Fueled by the free flowing alcohol, everyone was enjoying themselves. Jongdae, did not play earlier but still celebrated with his teammates and enjoyed the camaraderie.

Tossing his head back at a hilarious joke, he happened to glance to the side and saw girls, from the opponent team sidling up to the some of the guys at the table. This was not shocking; it is actually pretty common. But the sight of a girl sitting on Sehun’s lap playing hockey tonsils with Sehun took him by surprise. He glanced away before turning back for another look. Adjusting his seat, Jongdae turned away from what he felt was a disturbing scene.

Hana had repeatedly maintained that there is nothing between her and Sehun. They were just establishing some level of friendship. But Jongdae disagreed. Sehun does not make friends with girls. Sehun does not offer free tutorials, ever. Sehun does not go out of his way to have meals with anyone except his guy friends. Feeling certain that Sehun has feelings for Hana, he felt uncomfortable watching Sehun on his way towards a hookup. As if he is watching his bestfriend’s boyfriend cheating on her. Tried as he could, Jongdae could not brush of his discomfort and was a lot more subdued the rest of the night.

 

"Good morning,” Hana approached the concierge at the lobby to Sehun’s apartment.

“Good morning Miss, how can I help you.”

“Mr Oh Sehun invited me this morning. Could you let him know I’m here?”

“Mr Oh? Let me see if he is in.” The concierge then proce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter