18 장

Hard to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun was in the campus locker room with his friends after a session at the gym. Smiling as he listened to Baekhyun blabbering away about some new girl he’s interested in. Sehun couldn’t understand how Baekhyun bothers with courting one after another. It’s seemed like just too much work.

As he stood to grab a new pair of shirts, he saw Jongin rolling his eyes. He took his dirtied one, scrunched it into a ball and threw it at Baekhyun.

“Enough.. we don’t need a play by play of you chasing after another skirt. Jongin dying of boredom,” he chuckled. He ducked when his shirt came flying back.

“Where are we going for dinner?” Chanyeol asked.

“You guys go ahead. I have plans,” Sehun quickly responded.

"With Hana again?" Baekhyun asked. "Are you seriously dating her?"

Sehun ignored the question. His focus was on getting ready quickly so that he can leave.

"Dude, Baek asked you a question that the rest of us are interested in," Chanyeol remarked.

"Not me," Jongin piped in. He isn't interested in Sehun's interest in Hana. He believes it is a phase that Sehun is going through to ease his guilt. But he just can't wait for it to be over. In the meantime, he is willing to let Sehun's interest run its course.

Turning around to face his friends, Sehun smirked, "Aren't you the one that tricked her into taking care of me? Isn't this the outcome you are after?"

"But is this still a game or are you serious?" Chanyeol asked.

Sehun just chuckled while grabbing his bag. "I see you guys tomorrow."

 

As he walked towards the library where Hana is, he thought of the curiosity over his relationship with Hana. He is used to the rumours churning out of his every action. Whether in campus or in the main news. That came with the territory from being the heir to the hotel chain. He had never been bothered with it. Jimin or his father's assistant will deal with those that could have negative implication on the company. Those on campus, he just ignore them. They are often mild and insignificant.

But his interaction with Hana has been fodders for the rumour mill for quite some time. He could ignore them as usual, except that it does affect Hana. She is not comfortable with the attention and to top it off, it often took a turn for the negative for her. He had hope in time, the curiosity about them will die its natural death. Something else will take over the campus fascination. But it does not seem to be happening. Even his friends are interested. Not that he was going to feed their curiosity. For now, he and Hana is in a good place. She no longer abhor being with him; she smiles and her eyes were not filled with fear and panic. And, he truthfully enjoyed her company and the meals they shared.

 

Entering the library, he immediately go to her and her friends usual study spot. His eyes landed immediately at the familiar ponytail. Approaching her table, he place his hand lightly on her shoulder. "Hey, you ready to go?"

Sehun is aware that her friends, and others around their table, had raised their heads to look at him. But he ignored them. They are inconsequential. His focus was on the upturned face that gave him a radiant smile as she acknowledged him.

"Yeah, let me pack up."

Only then did he turned to acknowledge her friends. It is clear her friends are not too please with the arrangement he has with Hana. Wendy could barely conceal her hatred for him. Her boyfriend was dismissive, while Jongdae was uncomfortable. But it was Kyungsoo that Sehun was most wary. The guy nodded politely but his eyes were keen and probing, searching for answers. Her friends don’t trust him. And he understood their reason. 

Standing up, she said her goodbye to her friends who were not keen on the development between Hana and Sehun. They were worried about the tutorial sessions especially it is held at his apartment. Hana had a hard time convincing them it is safe. Even more, they questioned the meals the two of them are having together regularly. Their fear that Sehun may trick her again was not unfounded, Hana acknowledged.  But deep down, she was certain that Sehun would not hurt her again. But she was unable to convey that confidence to her friends. Knowing her friends’ hesitancy, she assured them with her eyes and smile. When she turned to Wendy, her best friend's concern was clear on her face. But before Wendy could voice her disapproval again, she squeezed Wendy’s hand comfortingly. Bending down, she whispered, “I’ll be ok. I call you later.”

Their exit was met with enquiring eyes from most of the students in the library. Hana held her head up and walked slightly ahead of Sehun, who followed her silently.  She quickened her steps towards the carpark.

“Hana, slow down.” But Hana continued to move faster away from the other students that had stopped and looked at them. Sehun kept paced with her but he steered her towards an empty corridor. Away from prying eyes, he stopped and turned to face her.

Searching her face, he asked, “What’s wrong?” Hana had seemed fine at the library.  But now, she looked annoyed and upset. He did not understand the sudden change in her behaviour.

She shook her head and murmured softly, “Nothing.” Before adding, “Maybe next time, you just wait for me at the car?”

“Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?” he asked incredulously.

“No. It just disconcerting to see everyone staring at me.”

He sighed.  “Learn to ignore. They will finally get bored and move on to something else.”

“Right,” she agreed sarcastically, “As if anyone will lose interest in anything to do with you.”

“Hana,” Sehun was exasperated. “Do you really want to let other people who are insignificant dictate your life?”

Hanging her head in shame, Hana knows Sehun is right. But then, he is not the recipient of the looks and negative comments for the past weeks. “You don’t understand,” she mumbled.

“Fine, you walked ahead to the car. I’ll be behind you,” he gently nudged her back to the earlier passageway.

Peeking at him from under her lashes, she saw that his face was grim. Gone were the easy smile that he wore at the library. Feeling slightly guilty, Hana walked towards the carpark. She doesn’t know how far back Sehun is but as she almost reached his car, she heard the sound of the car unlocked. Sliding into the passenger seat, she waited silen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter