Taking A Chance On Love

Taking A Chance On Love

Sungmin’s POV

His phone was ringing. Again. It has been ringing on and off for the past 20 minutes and he’s not picking it up. He’s working on his chapters and i didn’t want to disturb him knowing how ‘pleasant’ he can be when he’s throws himself into his work but that phone, needs to stop ringing.

 

I walked to his door and knocked. No answer. Surprise.

I opened the door, “For heaven’s sake, Cho Kyuhyun, answer the call!” i exclaimed while he was bobbing his head with an oversized headphone on. “This kid!”

 

“Yah!” i yelled, pulling his headphones off.

“Oh, Sungmin-ah. What’s the matter?” he asked innocently. I can’t believe i’m saying this but things were much, much easier when he was mean. Now that he’s all nice and polite and adorable it’s getting impossible to get mad at him.

 

“Your phone has been ringing non-stop, that’s the matter.” I said picking up his phone. “You have 12 missed calls. And i told you to call me hyung. I am older than you, start speaking formally.”

 

“Believe me i want to but with that cute face and those round eyes staring back at me. I don’t get the elder brother feeling and vibe with you.”

 

“Don’t give me that crap again. Call me hyung, end of conversation and answer that damn thing.” I said pointing at his phone which has started ringing again.

He grinned at my annoyance and answered the call. “Hello?” he answered and within seconds his expression gloomed.

****

“Kyuhyun-shi? It’s Mr.Jang, your father’s personal assistant.” the person on the other side of the line said.

I didn’t respond. I didn’t want to. My life has been disaster free for a long time now and i wanted it to stay this way. This phone call, i knew, would ruin it. I hung up.

 

“Wrong number?” Sungmin asked.

“Huh? Yeah...yeah...wrong number.” I lied.

 

“Okay, i’m going grocery shopping will be back soon.” He said heading towards the door.

The phone call disturbed my mood. I needed some air.

 

“Sungmin, is it okay if i tag along? I am felling a little bored.” I asked.

“You want to go grocery shopping with me? Are you feeling okay?” he asked looking puzzled.

“What? I am just bored.” I argued, shrugging.

He eyed me with suspicion. “Fine. We’ll leave in 15 minutes.” he informed. “And it’s Sungmin hyung.” He enunciated before closing the door.

 

The phone rang again; i cancelled it and switched it off.

****

The door bell rang while i was changing to leave.

“Kyuhyun-ah, can you get that. I’m still changing.” Sungmin yelled from his room.

 

“Okay. Got it.” i said, heading towards the door. It was Yesung hyung with a company, Ryeowook. I don’t dislike Ryeowook but the way Sungmin reacts when he sets his eyes on him just makes blood boil.

 

 I sound possessive. Why?

 

“Hey, you guys are here.” Sungmin sang, pulling a pink t-shirt over his head. “We were just heading out to the grocery store.”

“Oh, i see. We’ll wait for you then. Sungmin hyung, we can cook lunch together!” Ryeowook exclaimed excitedly.

Wonderful, i thought, unintentionally rolling my eyes.

I turned and looked at Sungmin who was wearing an obvious forced smile. How could anyone not see that?

“Sure.” He said. “That’ll be fun.” He replied.

Yeah, right.

“We’ll be back soon.” He said dragging me out of the house.

****

Sungmin’s POV

 

“Why do you hate Wookie so much? I told you before he had no idea i had feelings for him back then.” I said in a whisper.

 

“I don’t hate him. That guy is the epitome of innocence. I just don’t like him being around you because it makes you unhappy, nothing else, no untold personal grudge whatsoever. ” Kyuhyun replied, waving his hands around. “And why are you whispering? Does he have super hearing power that i don’t know of?”

 

“Very funny.” I said, slapping his arm. “I am happy to hear that you like him. It’s true, what you said, he too nice for his own good.”

I saw him smiling silently. “What are you grinning about?”

 

“You just said you had feeling for him back then. Does that mean you are over him?”

I thought for a moment. Yes, i did. I said that. All this while i say i love him and i still loved him never in past tense. Was i over him?

 

“I don’t know. I guess so. It has been more than 2 months since he came back and i don’t feel particularly distresses anymore when i look at him. I didn’t notice that.” I said, surprised at own statement. “Thank you.”

“What for?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” I said shrugging. “For making me realize how i truly feel?”

“Anytime and anything for you.” He said, with a majestic bow.

“Cut it out!” i said pulling him into the elevator.

****

“What’s your favourite food?” i asked him, dropping a packet of dried mushrooms into the cart.

“I don’t have one. I just eat whatever i can put my hands on as long as i’m not starving, i am happy.” He replied.

 

I halted the cart and turned around to face him. “Really? Don’t you ever crave for something? Like ddokboki or jajangmyun?”

 

“Nope.” He enunciated, shaking his head.

“Well, that’s sad. Food is one of my best friends. How can you live like this? You need to enjoy life more. Food makes everyone happy and if you know how to savour it, it’ll make you happy too.” i commented.

“I am happy.” He argued.

 

“Kyuhyun open your eyes. All you do is lock yourself up in the room and type or sleep. Which part of that sounds happy to you? Miserable is not a synonym for happy my friend.” I lectured.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

I smirked at his comment with raised eyebrows. “I am not miserable.”

“Tch...if you say so.” He scorned.

I gaped at him, lost for words. I had no valid argument, so i might as well i keep my mouth shut.

“Yah, look at that. They make such a cute couple.” I heard someone say in a loud whisper. I turned around and saw two girls staring at us with wide smiles.

 

“They’re talking about us aren’t they?” Sungmin asked, throwing a box of cereal into the cart.

“Yeah. Guess so.”

“Kya...i think they’re going to make dinner together. Isn’t that sweet?” they whispered.

 

Sungmin chewed his lips looking annoyed. “Excuse me. People usually whisper if they don’t want others to hear what they say. What is the point of whispering loudly? Do you or do you not want us to hear what you’re saying?”

 

I watched the scene with utter surprise. It was unlike him to lash out like this. “Yah, what are you doing. Let’s go.” I said, pulling him away while profusely apologizing to the girls who looked as shocked as i was.

 

“And for your information we are not a couple!”He said in loud voice before i dragged him away.

“Sungmin-shi, what is wrong with you? Have you gone crazy?”

“It’s just so annoying they automatically assume that we are gays just because we shop together.”

“You are.” I said.

 

“I know that but you are not. I know how uncomfortable it can get and i didn’t want you regret coming out with me because of some random girl’s opinion.” he said, looking upset.

“That’s it? You boiled over because of that? Come on, Sungmin, i don’t...”

 

“Hyung.”

 

“...care about what other people think.”

 

“You’re just saying that so that i won’t feel lousy.” He sulked.

“No honestly. I don’t care. Besides how do you that i’m not gay? I’ve never said anything about that subject before.”

“Are you?” he asked, his eyes growing big.

 

I didn’t answer, wanting to see his reaction to my silent, on purpose.

 

“You are?” he exclaimed.

I burst out laughing looking at his reaction. “No. I was just teasing you. Epic reaction by the way.”

“Jerk.” He muttered before pushing the cart away to the cashier.

 

I lied. Truth be told, i am not sure. When the girls thought we were a couple, i actually felt extremely happy. Why would i feel that way unless i wanted it to be true?

I swallowed hard. No.

Can it be that I am falling for him?

“Kyuhyun-ah, what are you thinking about?”

You.

“Nothing. Just random stuffs.”