Taking A Chance On Love

Taking A Chance On Love

 

Donghae froze for a moment before pulling away from Jessica.

“Sica, what are you doing? Are you out of your mind?” Donghae exclaimed, wiping his lips. “What’s wrong with you?”

“I...i am sorry. Oppa...i...i have something to tell you.” Jessica stammered. “I like you. As more than...”

 

“Don’t say it.” Donghae warned. “Sica, i can never think of you that way and you shouldn’t either.” Donghae said, turning away to leave.

“But oppa, that’s not fair. I like you and...”

 

“That’s enough. I will not jeopardize my friendship with Kyuhyun for anything. Can you imagine how he’ll feel if he finds out?” he asked running his fingers through his hair, exasperated.

“I’m sorry.” Jessica whispered, tears prickling from her doll like eyes.

Donghae let out a gush of air, dropping his head down. “Sica-yah, i’m sorry if my behaviour gave you the wrong idea. I never thought...”

 

“No. It isn’t you. It’s me. Don’t blame yourself, oppa. I was stupid and Kyuhyun oppa will not know about this. I am sorry.”

Donghae, not knowing what to say next, stared blankly at the heartbroken girl in front of him.

 

“Oppa, i want to be alone for a while.” Jessica said, trying to control her tears.

 

Donghae, understanding her situation nodded and let himself out of the room, knowing that things aren’t going to be the same anymore.

****

“Hyung, why are you so quiet today? Is something wrong?” Kyuhyun asked. He was sitting comfortably in the tree branch with his leg swinging carelessly while Donghae was lying down on the grass below.

 

“Nothing. Just feeling a little tired.” Donghae lied.

“Are you sure?”

 

Donghae nodded quietly. His mind was unsettled. The incident with Jessica kept replying in his head. She‘s just a kid. She’ll get over it soon, he convinced himself. I hope she doesn’t do something reckless and get into trouble.

 

“Hyung...hyung?” Kyuhyun called. “LEE DONGHAE!” he yelled, jumping off the tree, startling Donghae, when he didn’t get a reply.

 

“What? Why are you yelling for no reason?” Dongahe asked, sitting up in surprise.

 

“No reason? I’ve been yapping away about how i’m thinking of sending my stories to a publisher and you are just lying down here not caring. What’s bothering you?”

“Oh, god Kyuhyunnie, i am so sorry. I got lost in my thoughts for a moment. Sorry.” Donghae apologized. “So you are thinking of publishing your stories? That’s awesome!”

 

“Yeah, but i’m just afraid of what my father will do if he finds out.” Kyuhyun said gnawing his lips worriedly.

 

“He doesn’t have to know.” Donghae said. “Kyuhyun-ah, you can’t live like this forever, being terrified of your father, not being entitled to do make your own decision, not being able to explore another place other than the mansion you live in...You need to get out this place someday, buddy.”

 

“I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. Where would i go?”

“That’s the thrill in it. Exploring, making mistakes, falling down and getting back up.”

 

“That sounds really scary.” Kyuhyun said with raised eyebrows. “I can’t do it.”

“Fine. Stay here and serve your father forever.” Donghae scoffed.

 

“Hyung, you know it’s not going to be like that.”

Donghae heaved a sigh. “I just hope you’ll be happy one day, without having to worry about your father ruining it for you.”

****

Kyuhyun looked out of his window, watching the sunset. He wondered if he’d ever see a sunset from a place other than his room.

Donghae’s words repeatedly echoed in his mind and Kyuhyun begin to realize that if he does take control of his life, he might just end up exactly like how Donghae said he’d be.

He let out a gush of air, braving himself. He went over to his computer and stared at the screen for a moment before hitting the ‘send’ button. There, it wasn’t that difficult, he thought.

****

1 week later.

 

“Hyuk-ah, i just got a message from Kyuhyunnie. Remember i told you that h sent his story to the publisher?” Donghae asked.

“The one you snuck out from his treasure chest for me to read?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

Donghae pressed his lips together. He knew Kyuhyun will flip if he finds out that he gave Eunhyuk to read his story but he couldn’t keep it to himself. Kyuhyun knew Eunhyuk, as in they’ve met a few times before but he never spoke much to Eunhyuk but respected him as much as he respected Donghae, knowing how important Eunhyuk is to Donghae.

 

The story was super good and it’s a waste not to share it with others, although it would have been better if he had asked Kyuhyun’s permission first. He did consider asking but it didn’t seem like a good choice at that point of time so he stuffed the printed story into his backpack, gave it to Eunhyuk to read, who enjoyed the fiction as much as Donghae did and returned it to where it belongs without leaving any evidence.

 

“Yes, that one.” He said, scratching his eyebrows. “And i’ll be forever grateful if you didn’t mention the whole you-reading-the-story thing to Kyuhyun.”

 

“I’ll see what i can do.” Eunhyuk said, flashing a smile. “So what’s with the publisher?”

“Oh, yeah. I nearly forgot why i brought out the topic. Apparently the publisher loved Kyuhyunnie’s story and is planning to publish it!”

 

“Wow! That’s amazing. Finally the poor guy can have a life of his own. That is if he doesn’t back off because of his father.” Eunhyuk commented, filling is palette with paint.

 

“Yes, i hope he goes thru with this. It’ll be a good start for him and surely will give him some ego boost. And it might give Jessica some hope too.”

 

“Talking about Jessica. How is she?” Eunhyuk asked. “Have you seen her since...you know?”

“No. I think it’s best if i stay as far away as possible from her.” Donghae said, sighing.

 

“Hmm...I think you should tell Kyuhyun about it. I am sure he won’t judge you. He trusts you and he’ll understand if you explained. Things could go bad if he hears it from someone else.” Eunhyuk pointed out.

“You think so?”

Eunhyuk nodded.

 

They painted in silence for a moment when Eunhyuk’s cell phone beeped. He took a look at the message he received. “Crap, i completely forgot that i have to pick Kibum up from his dance class.” He said, standing up and grabbing his bag. “Hae, i got to go. Lock up, will you.” He said, tossing the keys for the art studio to Donghae. “Bye.”

Donghae shook his head as he watched his best friend dash for the door.

More than an hour hour passed after Eunhyuk left and the sky was getting darker but Donghae wasn’t planning on going back home anytime soon. He had to finish up the painting he’s working on so that he can participate in the art convention that he’s been anticipating for months.

He was completely absorbed in painting that he didn’t realize the faint smell of something burning seeping into the room, not until he felt the heat of it. He raced to the door wanting to get out but he couldn’t open it. It was jammed and he was stuck.