Taking A Chance On Love

Taking A Chance On Love

“Fany-yah, if i told you something, will promise to keep it a secret?” Jessica asked, nervously adjusting her fringe.

Tiffany looked at her best friend with a knowing smile. “Let me guess. You finally realize that you like Donghae oppa. Am i wrong?”

 

Jessica blushed and her face split into a wide smile which she tried to hide behind her hands.

“I knew it!” Tiffany exclaimed, slapping her thighs. “And what did you say when i told you that you liked him? ‘Please, don’t be ridiculous, he’s like a brother to me.’”

 

“Oh, cut it out.” Jessica said, smiling ear to ear.

“Woo...someone’s in love.” Tifanny sang.

 

“I am not in love!”

 

“When are you going to tell him? I can help you out.”

“Why? So that i’ll help you with Kyuhyun oppa?” Jessica teased, raising her eyebrows.

 

“Pfft...Your beloved brother wouldn’t understand even if you told him. Seriously, how obvious do i have to be? A blind man would have realized that i have a crush on him if  i bought him that heart shaped ‘Be my Valentine’ greeting card i got your brother last valentine.” Tiffany scoffed.

 

“Come on Fany. You know oppa likes to keep to himself and isn’t very sociable. He has one friend for god’s sake. I’m lucky that i am not home schooled like him. He just takes a longer time to figure things out.” Jessica defended her brother.

He might not be her brother by blood but she loved him dearly and wouldn’t allow anyone to criticize him, not even her best friend of 16 years.

 

“Sica, i think 5 years is long enough to get the fact that i like him into his head!” Tifanny argued, sighing. “I am never going to get married at this rate."

****

“Sooyeon-shi, Kyuhyun-shi, dinner’s ready.” thier cook called out.

 

“Ahjuhma, please call me Sica. I rarely react when someone calls me by my Korean name. I don’t want to appear rude by not responding when you call me.I’m so used to everyone call me Jessica.” Jessica explained.

“Oh, Sooyeon-shi...”

 

“Jessica. And drop the –shi, ahjumma.” back hugging the old lady.

“Why, are you hugging the servant?” Jessica heard her father’s voice ask.

 

Jessica quickly let go of her and stepped back.

 

“Have i not told you who you should and should not engage in a conversation with?” he asked in a serious tone.

“I am sorry, sir. I’ll go call Kyuhyun-shi.” Ahjumma said moving towards the staircase.

 

“Don’t bother. You are fired. Pack your belongings and leave.”

 

“Father that’s...” Jessica spoke up.

“I wasn’t talking to you.”

 

“But...”

“Do you want to leave along with her? You are welcomed to.”

 

“Sir, i am sorry. I promise i won’t make the same mistake again. Forgive me, sir, please.” Ahjumma begged.

“Get lost.” He said in a flat tone.

 

Kyuhyun stood by the end of the stairs and watched yet another employee being unreasonably thrown out.

All so that he could show he’s in charge. Sadist! He thought.

****

“I wish once, just once someone would talk back to him.” Kyuhyun said, punching his pillow.

“Why don’t you?” Donghae asked.

 

“Hyung, you know i am terrified of him!”

 

“And how do you think other people feel? That your father is soft-spoken angel who lost his way to heaven and ended up here?” Donghae commented.

 

Kyuhyun heaved a heavy sigh. “Pity ahjumma. She’s been working with us for so long. Where would she go now? And Sica is devastated thinking that she’s the reason why ahjumma got fired.”

“It’s not her fault. Who would have though he'd fire her for showing somw affection?” he asked.

“Try telling her that. She’s been sobbing all day. I can’t bear to see her like that.”

“Let’s go talk to her then.” Donghae suggested.

 

“No, hyung. I don’t think i can see her in her current condition. Will you talk to her, please?”

“Okay, i’ll do it. Be right back.”

 

Donghae knocked on Jessica room door. “Sica, it’s me. Can i come in?”

“Donghae oppa?” Jessica asked, quickly drying her tears off. “Yes, you can come in.”

“Hey...” Donghae said, opening the door. “How’re you doing?”

“I’m good.” She said with a forced smile.Her eyes were swollen red.

“Sica, it’s not your fault that ahjumma had to leave.” Donghae said, sitting beside her.

 

“How is it not, oppa? She got fired because she was close to me. I always do this. I always hurt the people i love. Umma put up with her ex-husband because she thought i needed a father in my life. Then she got married to that man because my grandfather said she’ll have to let me go if she didn’t. Kyuhyun oppa always gets into trouble trying to get me out of the mess i make.  And now ahjumma...” she said bursting into tears.

 

“Sica-yah, please. If your father sees you crying like this. He’ll use it as an excuse to punish you.” Donghae comforted, circling his arm around her shoulders.

“What will he do? Get me married to an old man with a heart condition so that he can get all his properties?” she said

“You’ll never know. It’s your father we are talking about.” Donghae answered, jokingly.

That brought a tiny smile to her face.

 

“You look the prettiest when you smile, Sica. Don’t lose for any reason.”

 

Jessica’s heart started pounding onto her chest and her insides rattled. She turned to face him and locked her eyes on his, which pulled her like magnets. She brushed the strands of his off his forehead and without giving him time to react; she pressed her lips on his.