Taking A Chance On Love

Taking A Chance On Love

Kyuhyun's POV

“Kyuhyun oppa?” a familiar voice called in a low voice, touching my shoulder.

I turned around and found myself facing a small skinny figure with a wide smile and teary eyes.

 

“Sica.” I uttered.

 

“Oppa, how are you? Where have you been all this time? I tried calling you and went to your place but they said you moved out.”

I studied her from top to bottom, she looked worse than before, like a skeleton wrapped in skin. Guilt flooded me. My eyes started to sting but i didn’t want to appear weak in front of her.

Taking a deep breath i composed myself. “I moved out 6 months ago and changed my number. Sorry, i didn’t inform you. I...didn’t...”

 

“It’s okay, oppa. I understand.” She said with a bitter smile.

My heart crumbled looking at her. I smoothed her hair and wiped the tears off her cheeks. “How’ve you been? Is umma fine?”

 

Tears started flowing from her eyes again. I panicked.

“Sica-yah, what’s wrong?”

“Umma...she...she is sick...” she said, sniffing. Kyuhyun handed her his handkerchief. “She might not be alive for long.”

“What? Why...why are you saying that?” i asked, terrified.

****

I opened the door to my apartment and gestured Jessica to enter, i stepped in after her and shut the door.

 

“This is the new place i moved in into.”

“Oh, i see. It’s nice.” She commented, looking around.

“You make yourself comfortable, I’ll get you something to drink.” I said heading to the kitchen.

I grabbed a can of cola from the fridge and went back to the living room. Yesung hyung was sitting beside her and chatting away.

 

“Oh, hyung i didn’t know you were home.”

“I came back for my lunch break. I have to be at the office in 20 minutes. So this is your sister? You never mentioned her before.” he asked.

 

“She...i...” i was lost for words. I didn’t know where to start.

Yesung hyung chuckled at my reaction. “ Jessica-shi, it was nice meeting you. I have to go now. Drop by often alright.”

 

“Yes. It was nice meeting you too, Yesung-sshi.”

“You can call me oppa.” He said as he left.

“He seems like a very nice person.” Jessica commented.

“He is. A little eccentric though.” i said thinking about his obsession over turtles. “The other house mate, Sungmin, is still at work. You’ll like him too.”

“Oppa, it’s great to see that you have friends. You hardly speak to anyone since...” she choked before she se could complete the sentence.

“Donghae died.” I finished.

 

****

Sungmin’s POV

 

“I didn’t know you had a sister. Why didn’t you tell us about her?” I said to Kyuhyun when Yesung hyung mentioned Jessica at the dinner table.

 

He flicked a look at me and bit his lips.

“Nevermind. Just eat.” I said, knowing that it’ll take forever for me to get any information out of him.

 

“She’s my step sister.”He voiced out.

Yesung hyung and I looked at each other, wondering how to react to what Kyuhyun just said.

 

I watched him as he winced uneasily. He never spoke about his family and he’s clearly uncomfortable talking about it now.

“Kyuhun-ah, it’s okay. You don’t have to tell us anything that you are not ready to tell.” I said, patting his shoulder. Yesung hyung nodded in agreement.

 

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to speak again when his cell phone rang. “It’s Sica.” He said, taking a look at the caller’s id. “Hello?”

There was a moment of silence and his expression darkened.

“Okay, i’m coming.” He said before hanging up.

 

From the tone of his voice i knew it wasn’t pleasant news and worry started to creep into me but i was afraid to ask. Afraid i might annoy him if i did. God, i wish i could read minds!

****

Kyuhyun’s POV

 

I wish Sungmin could read minds. I knew he was worried, it was written all over his face but if had to tell than i will have spill everything out and it might just a little too hard for me to handle.

 

“Do you have to go somewhere?” Yesung hyung asked, breaking the silence.

I quietly nodded.

 

“Are you leaving now?”

“Uh-huh—“ i answered in a low tone.

“Alright. Be safe; call us if you need anything. Okay?” he said, patting my shoulder.

 

I nodded again. He left me alone with Sungmin and went into his room. Sungmin stacked up the dishes, picked it up and walked pass me, to the kitchen.

 

I needed to go, the situation suffocated me but i have to go. I got onto my feet grabbed my coat and reached for my keys.

I can’t do this, i thought, squeezing the keys i was holding.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah—“

I clenched my teeth and took a deep breath. I can’t do this. Not alone.

“Sungmin, will you come with me? Please.” I asked, slugging my shoulders, giving up my ego.

His eyes became round in surprise but immediately composed himself and gave a small nod.

 

“Thank you.”

****

Sungmin’s POV

 

I warned myself not to ask any question on where we were headed or what the matter was, however,within 10 minutes my patience thinned. I kept glancing at him, trying to find a right moment to pop the question.

 

“We are going to the hospital Sungmin-shi, now stop fidgeting. You are making me more anxious then i already am.”

I froze. “I didn’t ask—”

“My step mother, she...“ he said.

“You don’t have to tell me, i understand that...” i cut in.

“...passed away. Jessica wants me to be there.” He continued, ignoring me.

 

“She what?” i shouted. “How can say it as though it doesn’t matter to you?”

 

He pulled the car into a parking space and turned the engine off.

“It doesn’t.” He said in a flat tone, getting out of the car.

 

I can’t believe this guy!

 

I jumped out of the car and marched behind him. “Yah, Hold up. I don’t have long legs like you! And why are you being so insensitive. She’s your mother.”

 

“No, she’s not. She’s Sica’s mother. Not mine.”

“She’s married to your father!”

I bumped hard on him as he halted abruptly.

 

“Sungmin-shi, please don’t make me regret asking you to accompany me.” he said without bothering to turn around to look at me.

 

I am familiar with that tone he used. It means I’m inviting unnecessary complications.

“Fine.” I said as i walked pass him into the hospital.

“Sica.” Kyuhyun called out to a skinny girl whose eyes were swollen and red as we walked into the ICU.

So this is her.