Taking A Chance On Love

Taking A Chance On Love

Donghae impatiently washed the paint off his hands causing the water to splash everywhere.

“Yah, what’s your hurry. Slow down will you?” Eunhyuk complained.

“Sorry. I’m just excited to show Kyuhyun the painting i completed today. He has been waiting to see it for the past 2 weeks and finally he can.” Donghae said, hopping from foot to foot like a kid.

“What are you? 5? You are 19 and for god’s sake will you behave like one.”

Eunhyuk’s comment made Donghae pout.

“Yah, yah, look at that. Sulking again. Tsk...tsk...i have got no idea how we ended up as friends.” Eunhyuk complained.

“Pfft... Eunhyuk-shi, you should be grateful that a good looking guy like me agreed to be your friend.” Donghae grumbled.

“Grateful, my foot. Just run to your boyfriend already.”

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Donghae protested.

“Yes of course he is not and what are you going to say next? That Santa Claus is real?” Eunhyuk ridiculed.

“Santa Claus is real.” Donghae said in a dead serious tone.

****

“Hyung, over here.” Kyuhyun said waving at Donghae from his room window.

Donghae rushed upstairs and burst into Kyuhyun’s room. “Kyuhyun-ah, i finished it!” he exclaimed in joy.

“You did? Let me see it!” he exclaimed, attempting to snatch the painting away.

“Nuh-uh. Your story first.” Donghae said, holding out his hand.

Kyuhyun scrunched up his face. “It’s not finished yet.”

“Don’t try to win me by acting cute. I know you finished the story two days ago and that you have hidden it somewhere. Are you going to get it or should i find it on my own?” He said, moving forward.

“No,no. Wait, i’ll get it.” Kyuhyun said, jumping in front of Donghae.

After much hesitation Kyuhyun finally handed over his prized possession to his most valued person. “Don’t laugh, don’t comment and please do not make funny faces.”

“I’ll try.” was Donghae’s reply. “Here. Open it.” He said passing the rolled up painting to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun unrolled the painting and his jaw dropped as took a look at it. “This...”

“Is it that bad? I thought it looked pretty decent. Oh, god. Eunhyuk was right. You hate it. I have no talent and i—“

“Shut it!” Kyuhyun cut in. “This is beautiful, it’s more than beautiful. It’s just...wow. Lee Donghae, you are brilliant!”

“Really?”

“How could anyone say this isn’t awesome?” Kyuhyun said, turning the painting to Donghae direction.

“That monkey...” Donghae murmured.

“Come on, hyung. Eunhyuk hyung doesn’t mean it whenever he passes judgement you. He’s just loves to see you get all riled up.”

“Yeah, yeah. Support him all you want. Whatever you say he’s still an annoying brat.”

“What are you then?” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath.

“What?”

Kyuhyun shook his head with an innocent smile. “This is magnificent. Have you thought of selling it?” he complimented, changing the subject.

“Sell? I don’t think it’s worth any money, i mean i am just an art student, no one’s going to be interested.” Donghae pointed out.

“Hyung, i am sure someone will love to own this fine looking...”

“Oppa.” Jessica called from the door.

“Yes?” Kyuhyun and Donghae answered in unison.

“I think she meant me, hyung.”

“I am her oppa too.” Donghae argued.

Kyuhyun simply rolled his eyes and asked Jessica to enter.

“Oh, Donghae oppa, you are here.” She said, turning red.

“Heya, Sica. How was school today? Have anyone try to hit on you yet? Do you have a boyfriend?” Donghae asked with playful smile.

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, whacking Donghae with his pillow.

Jessica snickered shyly at the sight. “Oppa...”

“Yes?” Kyuhyun and Donghae said in unison.

Kyuhyun glared at Donghae. “Sorry.” Donghae whimpered.

“What is it Sica?”

“There’s something wrong with my computer. It shut down when i was typing my assignment and now i can’t find it. Can you help me?” she explained with a worried face.

“Yes, sure, come on. Hyung, you wait here and read the story. I’ll be back.”

Donghae nodded and jumped on Kyuhyun’s bed. “Okie dokie.”

Kyuhyun followed Jessica to her room while Donghae made himself comfortable and flipped to the first chapter of Kyuhyun’s story and within seconds he was immersed in it.

“Hyung we should...” Kyuhyun said as he walked into the room.

“Shhh...”

“What are...”

“When someone says ‘shhh’ it generally means that you should keep quiet!” Donghae said not lifting his head up.

“O-kay.” Kyuhyun responded climbing up the bed and sat in silence for 15 minutes, not daring to move or speak.

“Where’s the rest of the story? Give them to me.” Donghae said, putting his hand out.

“I can’t.” Kyuhyun answered.

“Why?” Donghae questioned, in a fairly threatening tone.

“Umm..because they are still in here.” Kyuhyun responded, pointing to his head.

“Please tell me you are kidding. You stopped at the ! I want to know what happens next.”

“I am sorry, i can’t...”

“Cho Kyuhyun, i will dig your brain out if i have to!” Donghae roared, head locking Kyuhyun.

“Ah, hyung. It hurts. Stop, stop it!”

“I want the rest of the story. I want to know what happens next. Who is the murderer?”

“If you don’t let me go, it’ll most probably be you. Hyung, my arm! Ouch!” Kyuhyun cried.

“What is that noise?” they heard a fearsome voice ask loudly and froze

 “That voice...” Donghae said, afraid to finish the sentence.

“My father. He’s not supposed to back until Wednesday” Kyuhyun whispered.

“Todayis Wednesday, Einstein! , we are done for.” Donghae said, getting off the bed. “What do we do, what do we do!” jumping up and down.

“How about not panicking?” Kyuhyun suggested, frantically pacing around the room, biting his nails.

“Not panic? That man will burn me alive if he finds me in here.” Donghae whispered.

“Kyuhyun.” Mr.Cho, Kyuhyun’s father called.

Both of them gasped and held their breath.

“He’s coming. Hyung, jump out of the window.”

“You know, i think i’ll just let your father kill me.” Donghae said, crossing his arms and leaning back on the wall.

“Hyung, we have got no choice. Just jump!” Kyuhyun said, pushing Donghae towards his room window. “It’s only the 2nd floor.”

“Yah! You know i am afraid of heights. I can’t do it.”

“You are too big to squeeze under my bed. You are not 12 anymore!” Kyuhyun said, frustrated. His gaze fell on his coat closet. “But,” He said opening the door to the closet, “you can fit into this. Quick, get in.”

“Eww, it stinks.” Donghae complained, crinkling his nose.

“Just get in.” Kyuhyun said, shoving Donghae in just in time as the door opened.

“What are you doing?” his father asked.

“Nut...nothing. I was just...thinking out loud.”

“What, now you are turning into a psycho?”

“No, i didn’t realize that i...”

“Just stop thinking. I have a very important meeting today and if you do anything...”

“No, i promise I’ll be good.”

“You better be!” his father warned before walking out.

Kyuhyun sighed in utter relieve and slumped beside the coat closet.

“Is he gone yet?” he heard Donghae whisper.

“Yes, you can come out now.” Kyuhyun said, helping Donghae out.

“Thank god! A few more minutes in there and i would have fainted. It smells like dead rat in there.”

Kyuhyun grinned.

“What?”

Kyuhyun pointed at a pile of unwashed socks stuffed at the corner of the closet.

“Cho Kyuhyun, you are so dead my hands!” Donghae said in a dangerous whisper and begin chasing Kyuhyun. After running around the room a couple of times he managed to grab Kyuhyun by his collar.

“Don’t scream or your father will come back.” He said covering Kyuhyun’s mouth. “Now be a good boy and give me the rest of the chapters.”

“Mmmph...!” Kyuhyun muffled.

“What? I can understand you. Oh, i am sorry.” Dongahe said, realizing that he was suffocating  the poor boy.

Kyuhyun gasped for air. “In the...first drawer.” He said, panting.

“Thank you.” Donghae said with a proud smug. “You know it’s sad how you are so afraid of your father.” He teased.

“Says the person who’s terrified of heights.” Kyuhun grumbled softly.

“Did you say something?” Donghae asked.

 “Well, just that i’m a pathetic creature who’s fortunate to have you as my friend.” Kyuhyun replied with a forced smile, when he saw Donghae breaking his knuckles.