Enter the Wolf's Worry

Burning Ice and Hearts

Sehun jolted awake suddenly, feeling so nauseous and sick that it seeped into his very bones. He reached for his phone with quaking hands and turned it on to see that it was 2:13 in the morning. 

 

Before he could even react fast enough and get out of bed he felt his stomach lurch and started to throw up, trying his very best to hold it in his mouth -thankfully, none got out- before running to the bathroom and proceeding to vomit. 

 

He threw up everything that he had and then stayed there for a while, his stomach painfully lurching every so often looking for more food but finding none. 

 

He stayed over the toilet bowl dry heaving until a bleary looking Jongin stepped into the washroom and shuffled towards him. 

 

"Hey, Hun? Are you okay? Can you get up?" 

 

Sehun heaved again, nothing coming out, before weakly shaking his head. 

 

"You're not pregnant are you?" Jongin joked. 

 

"Hah, if that was the case I'd be seven months pregnant because that was the last time I had and I'm sure you would be able to tell." Sehun said weakly. 

 

"I know babe, I'm just joking, but that is possible. Some babies don't really show, sometimes the hide themselves way up in the mother's back." Jongin explained. 

 

Sehun laughed before reaching his arms up and signalling to Jongin that he needed help to get up. 

 

Jongin reached over to help him up and flush the toilet when he stopped. 

 

"Sehun, I know you're a vampire but I don't think it's normal to be throwing up blood, no yes I understand you drink it, but you don't drink the amount that's in this toilet." Jongin said sounding rather scared. 

 

Sehun lifted his head to look in the toilet, he hadn't looked really, and he was surprised to see large quantities of blood. "No, that's not normal." Sehun wheezed. 

 

"Okay, let's get you some blood back in your stomach and then you should come back to sleep. We'll go and see a doctor tomorrow morning." Jongin assured. 

 

Sehun nodded and allowed Jongin to lift him and carry him back to their room. Jongin reached into one of Sehun's drawers, finding a blood bag and handing it to him which Sehun greedily drank. 

 

"More, Jongin-ah." Sehun asked. Jongin looked back in the drawer and realized that that was the last bag. They were getting more the following day and that bag should have been enough to last. 

 

Jongin sat down across from Sehun and leaned his head to the side, exposing his neck. Sehun vaguely reached for a ring he had placed on his nightstand, one he was wearing earlier in the day and but down on Jongin's neck, pressing the silver ring onto the wound and preventing it from healing. He drank more than he should have but Jongin gave no sounds of complaints nor did he pull away, allowing Sehun to replenish his strength. 

 

When Sehun finally realized to pull away and allow Jongin to heal, up the remaining blood before leaving a soft kiss on the now healing wound Jongin got up and helped Sehun to lay down. 

 

Before Jongin could head back to his bed, a few feet away from Sehun's, Sehun grabbed his arm and looked up at his with pleading eyes. "Stay babe." 

 

"Okay hold on." Jongin said before moving away from Sehun tiredly and with a bit of lag in each step. He grabbed on to the nightstand and was able to lift it and move it over, to another corner of the room, with Sehun watching in worry. 

 

When Jongin noticed that Sehun was getting up to help him, he motioned for him to sit down before going around to his bed and pushing it to brace against Sehun's. 

 

He then lay down next to Sehun and pulled his blanket over them both, curling up against Sehun's side and wrapping an arm around him, ignoring the fact that one of his legs was wedged in the small space between the two beds. 

 

They eventually fell asleep, seeking comfort in each other. 

When they awoke the next morning, thankfully on a weekend, Jongin was up and making breakfast, informing his brothers and Jisung that they would be going to the hospital since Sehun wasn't feeling well. 

 

They all seemed to express deep worry at that, Jisung looked sickeningly pale at hearing Sehun had thrown up large amounts of blood but tried to keep it to himself since they did not know if anything was wrong with Sehun or if it was serious. 

 

Sehun came down soon after, eating some food before going out and checking the mail, thankfully coming back in with the new shipment of blood, opening it and down a bag. He then handed one to Jisung who poured out a little and drank before depositing the rest of the bags in a mini fridge they had bought for this purpose and taking Sehun's empty bag to throw it away for him. 

 

"Ready?" Jongin asked Sehun who still looked tired and nauseous. It was worrying Jongin a lot but he tried not to let it show, praying for nothing to be wrong. 

 

Sehun nodded, not finding the energy to speak before grabbing Jongin's car keys and putting on his shoes to leave. Jongin followed after him, turning to look at the three sitting at the table, "We're taking the car Taemin. We'll be back soon though. Bye." 

 

Taemin nodded with his mouth full, seeming unbothered. Sehun was sick and he wasn't planning on going anywhere anyways. 

 

Jongin got into the car and closed the door seeing that Sehun was already inside. He picked up one of Sehun's hands and kissed his knuckles. "It's probably nothing to even worry about Sehun. You most likely have some kind of stomach flu." Jongin tried reassuring Sehun. 

 

But they both knew, common illnesses didn't affect their bodies, since they had much stronger immune system and rarely got sick. Anytime a vampire showed signs of illness, it was something to be taken seriously and wasn't any small passing sickness. 

 

"Thank you Jongin." Sehun said before resting his head against the window weakly. 

He had thrown up again that morning and was feeling weaker then ever. It seemed like whatever this was, was only getting worse. 

 

They drove in silence from that moment on reaching the hospital not too long after. They had gone to a vampire friendly hospital, while all humans knew of their existence there were still those humans that despised them for their bloody history and believed in all the bull storied that went around. 

 

This hospital was one that helped supply blood for vampires to drink and had many werewolf state supplies and medicine, strong enough to have an effect on them and work with their faster healing. 

 

They would be better equipped for a sick vampire than a regular hospital, although no hospital would turn you away, it was against policy. Those that didn't have ties to help tray the supernatural just didn't have the right equipment or training. 

 

Better to be safe than sorry, right? 

 

They parked, and Jongin paid, before going around the car and helping Sehun out, wrapping an arm around his waist and pulling one of Sehun's hands to rest on his shoulder so he could carry some of his weight and help him walk. 

 

Sehun turned a bit to place a small but soft kiss on Jongin's cheek. "You're so easy to love." Sehun had said surprising Jongin since they had not said that to each other yet. And although that was no confession, it still had an effect on him. 

 

He smiled, they had only been together for about 4-5 months, but it was enough to realize they did harbour strong feelings for each other, despite Yifan showing up every so often to declare his undying love for Sehun. 

 

Jongin knew Sehun must have felt strongly for him to reject Yifan, a man he once loved and parted with due to uncontrolled circumstances, just to be with Jongin. 

 

He couldn't express how happy Sehun made him. He even had a great relationship with his brothers and Jisung was a joy to have as well. 

 

Jongin returned Sehun's affection and words by tightening his hold on Sehun and smiling brightly at him, before the pair walked in the hospital doors and found their way to reception. 

 

A kind looking woman was working behind the desk. "Hello, and you guys are here for?" She left hanging in the air. 

 

This time, Sehun took a breath and looked to the woman, "I haven't been feeling very well and I've been throwing up blood - well I'm a vampire so that shouldn't be weird, but it's a lot of blood, more than I drink." He explained.

 

The woman nodded her head. 

 

"So you're here for a check up, am I right? To see what's causing this blood, for humans that usually signs of illness, this happened with the swine flu in the past and other diseases but I can't say for certain what this means for a vampire. Let me see, you can see the doctor in... 30 minutes, is it okay?" The receptionist asked, squinting at her computer screen while typing some information in. 

 

Sehun nodded, "Yeah, we can wait, thank you." He said gratefully. The woman then looked up at them cheerfully. "No problem. Now you just have to fill out some information," she handed them a couple forms which Jongin took before leading Sehun over to a waiting area and allowing him to sit. 

 

The time passed by slowly with Jongin filling out the form, questions such as his age, medical visits in the past, full name, existing allergies, and so on. Only asking Sehun when he wasn't sure about something and then moving on. 

 

By the time they finished filling out the forms and there was Doctor peering out into the waiting area before calling out for Oh Sehun. 

 

They walked over to him, where he then lead them to a room and took the forms from them, before leaving the room to look over the forms, having them wait again. 

 

Soon enough, the doctor entered the room again, 'Hello, my name is Doctor Choi, I'm married to a vampire, which usually would be irrelevant but my marriage has allowed me to love with and study with vampires and on their health, so I have an understanding of vampire health. If this helps reassure you both." Doctor Choi said. 

 

Jongin felt relief, he knew he made a good decision in bringing Sehun to this hospital. 

 

Okay, so I'm going to need to ultrasound your stomach, it'll help me get a clear picture of what's happening in your digestive tract and I'll also need a blood sample. 

 

Sehun nodded before going through a few different tests and motions. The doctor then took the blood sample and told them that they should get results in a few hours as vampire illness and diseases were less than humans and easier to narrow down. 

 

He then gave Sehun a cookie. A blood red cookie, Sehun looked at it weirdly, knowing that it actually contained blood, he could smell it and he was sure that Jongin could as well. 

 

"What's that?" Sehun asked, pointing at the cookie. 

 

"Oh, just something we do here. It's to help replenish the blood I took. I know it wasn't much but you're weak already. You know how blood donors are often given cookies to help. Well we figured we could do the same for vampires. Rest assured, they taste good, or at least my husband says so." Doctor Choi  said. 

 

Sehun hesitantly reached a hand out before accepting the cookie. He was unsure about what baked blood would taste like but it surprisingly tasted like a normal cookie. The blood just gave a red colour and a faint taste. 

 

Oddly enough, the blood in the cookie had the effect eating cookies with milk would. "Mm, it's good." Sehun said chewing soundly. 

 

"Close your mouth." Jongin said teasingly to Sehun who gained a bit of pink in his cheeks. That caused more worry in Jongin because normally Sehun would be blushing, full on, but due to the lack of blood in his body, it made the blush much less noticeable. 

 

"Okay, now you guys go on home and I'll be calling you with the results later on in the evening. Take care now." Doctor Choi kindly dismissed them, most likely needing to get back to his job before he walked out. 

 

Sehun and Jongin then got up, Sehun leaning on Jongin but having more strength after the cookie. It apparently had a strong amount of blood despite the slight taste. 

 

They walked out of the hospital, bidding the receptionist goodbye and receiving a friendly wave from her as she was on the phone before getting back inside the car and driving home. 

 

They reached the house soon after and as soon as they walked in, Jisung was all over them. 

 

"What did the doctor say. You're okay, right? It was just some indigestion after all?" 

 

Jongin chuckled despite himself, while Sehun just looked bewildered at his brother clinging tightly onto him. "No, the doctor had to run some tests and he said we'd have the result later on tonight." 

 

Jisung nodded thoughtfully with a frown on his face before walking away and mumbling to himself. 

 

Jongin and Sehun then found themselves in the living room. Jongin pulled his laptop out and opened it. "So, Sehun? What do you think about ordering a bigger bed for us to sleep on together. I mean, as much as sleeping on two beds pushed together has the same effect, there is still that small -frankly, annoying- space." Jongin asked opening an online furniture website. 

 

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. We might as well get one." Sehun said, looking and seeming happy at the idea. 

 

So they spent a while searching for a nice enough bed before ordering one and then just online shopping together. Jongin also decided to ask Sehun to order more of the non rip clothes that a werewolf could shift in, since he enjoyed the ones Sehun had bought previously. 

 

They decided to split the costs, Sehun picking more of it up since he had a rather large amount of money in his family and his father wired an amount every month as some sort of allowance for him and Jisung who he adored despite not being his biological son. Sehun insisted on it being so since he figured if they considered how much money they both had, half and half wouldn't be fair, since Jongin had less. 

 

Eventually, while they were still online shopping and looking at some couple shirts, there was one of Goten and Trunks doing the fusion, one shirt had Goten pointing to the left while the other shirt had Trunks pointing to the right and Sehun was just about to order it when his phone rang. 

 

He nervously answered it, seeing the caller ID had the hospital name on it, preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. 

 

"Hello Sehun," the Doctor started before Sehun put the phone on speaker so that Jongin and Jisung -who was lounging on the chair across from them watching TV with Taemin- could hear. 

 

"Unfortunately, you have valinean disease. It's not necessarily curable but we can treat it. It's shown through vomiting blood, extreme tiredness and fatigue, and it causes the white blood cells to reject and expel any blood you drink. That would explain why he threw up again. Unfortunately your white blood cells are killing the nutrition your body needs and actually attacks your blood flow as well, causing you to throw up, not only the blood you drink, but your own blood as well. The fact of the matter is that it isn't allowing you to drink blood, which is necessary for your survival and causes you to lose blood yourself, although this happens in small amounts, you'll need to drink larger quantities of blood and there is nothing to be said of your strength. It will continue to deteriorate along with your blood loss. It's only a matter of time before your body gives in even with medication we can offer to help stop the nausea and slow down the white blood cells from attacking." The doctor paused. "I'm very sorry Sehun." 

 

"How long?" Jongin's voice broke, while Sehun sat there in shock and Jisung had begun to silently cry. Even Taemin looked close to tears. 

 

"Months, he has months." The doctor begrudgingly said. 

 

"O-okay. T-thanks for everything doc. We'll come for the medication." Sehun said his voice shaky before cutting the call off. 

 

Jisung suddenly shot up, pulling his own phone out before dialling someone. He had it on speaker when it clicked on, indicating that they other line had answered and a hello could be heard from the other line. 

 

It was Jisung's father. "Jisung, what's up?" His dad asked. 

 

"Dad, the valinean disease, tell me everything you know about it." Jisung said in such a broken voice that anyone could easily tell he was crying. 

 

"Son, are you okay?" His father's worried voice could be heard. "NO!" Jisung shouted before lowering his tone to a nearly inaudible whisper. "I'm not okay. Sehun was just told he had valinean disease, so please, tell me what you know. I've heard you talk about it before." Jisung pleaded. 

 

"Oh god! Sehun... Well, as you know I had a friend that had the disease. It's not something pretty, and it's just going to keep getting worse. There is hope though, I can tell you as much. However, it's a small hope." Jisung's father began. 

 

"Dad- get to the point." Jisung interrupted, worried and scared. "Yeah, well he was dying, doctors and vampires alike told him there was no cure. Until he ran into an ancient vampire. The ones the storybooks speak of, the cave vampires. He was one that left, joined the modern world and he had told my friend that the valinean disease was not deadly and he had seen many fight it. But the only way for my friend to survive would be to got to the ancient ones and seek their advice and help. This is dangerous though, because while some are like us and live fairly civil lives, others are complete monsters and kill without remorse. To find the ones willing to help is difficult. It's the only hope though." Jisung's father ended before Jisung asked to speak to his mother. 

 

He offered the phone to Sehun who declined, "I'm tired, you talk to mom. Explain everything to her. Please call Lu Han and my dad and explain everything to them as well." 

 

Jongin was still sitting on the couch looking heartbroken, when Sehun reached his hand out to him. "Lie down with me." 

 

In Jongin's mind, all he could think was that, despite the odds being slim and encountering these old vampires would be scary and dangerous, he was willing to do it. It was their only choice. 

 

He then grabbed Sehun's hand, "Always."