Chapter 18

A Tale of Two Brothers

Dongmyeong was in a rush to get to where Xion was, and seeing that the bloody footsteps turned into pawsteps really made him fear the worst as he ran faster, pushing himself forward. "Don't be what I think it is... Don't be what I think it is," he repeated. "Oi oi, slow down!" Said Hwanhee. "We have to get there before he does something stupid!" Dongmyeong shouted back. "He's right," said Wontak as he kept pace with Hwanhee. "The longer it takes to find him the more damage he could do," he said, pushing himself forward. Hwanhee huffed, pushing himself forward to try and catch up with the two werewolves.

"Dongju!" Shouted Dongmyeong as he came upon Xion in his wolf form finishing off a kill. Xion snapped out of it, backing away with small whimpers escaping him as he saw the carnage. Dongmyeong collapsed to his knees, feeling the exhaustion wash over him at the worst time possible. "God damn it," he whimpered out as Xion ran over to him. Dongmyeong hugged Xion, clutching at his fur. "It's going to be okay... It's going to be okay," he said, trying to reassure Xion.

Hwanhee and Wontak appeared a few seconds later, Wontak cursing rather loudly as he saw the carnage before him. Hwanhee paced back and forth, grumbling out curses as he tried to think of what to do next.

"Dongmyeong," Wontak said after a few minutes. "You know what happens next," he said. "I can't... I can't..." Said Dongmyeong. "Please don't do this," he whimpered out as he hugged Xion tighter. "Give them a few minutes will you?" Asked Hwanhee. "It's the least you can do," he added. Wontak sighed. "I guess," he said.

Xion returned to his human form, wrapping his arms around Dongmyeong. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm so sorry," he repeated. "It's okay... It's okay," mumbled Dongmyeong.

"Do me a favor," said Xion. "What is it?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Take care of Hwanwoong," said Xion. "He needs you, now that I'm not going to be there," he mumbled. "I will," said Dongmyeong. "Don't leave the pack either, they need you now that I'm going to be gone," said Xion. "...I can't guarantee that," said Dongmyeong. "Please..." Said Xion. Dongmyeong sighed. "Okay," he said.

Wontak walked over. "You two good now?" He asked. "Yeah," said Dongmyeong. Xion nodded as he moved away from Dongmyeong. "I'll do it," said Dongmyeong as he wiped his face with his hand. "Are you sure?" Asked Wontak. "Yes," said Dongmyeong. "We once made a promise to each other that if something like this would happen then we would end the other's life," he said. "It's like we both trained for this," Xion said with a snort. "It does seem like it hm?" Dongmyeong said with a humorless chuckle.

"I can't believe it came down to this though," said Dongmyeong. "I even have my knife on me still," he said, reaching over for the hidden knife in a holster in his pants. Xion eyed the knife before shaking his head. "Time to get it over with then," he said.

Dongmyeong let out a deep breath as he got up. "I'm here on back up," said Wontak as he eyed Xion. "Thanks, but I got this," said Dongmyeong as he nodded. "I just don't want you to suddenly hesitate because it's your brother," said Wontak. Dongmyeong sighed. "I got this, don't worry," he said. Wontak hummed, nodding. Dongmyeong turned to Xion, who got to his feet after changing to his wolf form.

"Aish," said Dongmyeong as he tried to concentrate. "Narcolepsy has the worst timing," he said, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand before focusing his mind to trick it into his hunting mode. As it was happening Xion's fur stood on end as he bared his teeth, snarling. "Well," said Dongmyeong. "This is both our hunting modes then?" He asked, gripping onto the knife handle as he kept the blade even with his arm. "It's a shame, we really would've made the perfect team," he said. Xion wasted no time and launched himself at Dongmyeong.

Dongmyeong countered by slashing down with the knife, dodging out of the way of Xion. Xion was quick on his feet as he managed to only get a small cut on his front leg as he turned towards Dongmyeong and slammed into him. Dongmyeong fell to the ground with Xion on top of him, snarling and clawing at him. "Oh no you don't," he said as he kept Xion at arms length away.

"Going down fighting eh?" Asked Dongmyeong as he brought the knife down on Xion's shoulder, earning a slash to the face before he managed to kick Xion off him. "Aish, damn you," said Dongmyeong as he got to his feet, wiping the blood away from his eye. "My favorite knife too," he growled. Xion snarled at him, launching himself at Dongmyeong and Dongmyeong managed to jump out of the way, grabbing the knife and yanking it out of Xion's shoulder.

"Damn you Dongju," said Dongmyeong, causing Xion to snap out of it. "You really are a pain to kill you know," he said, huffing as he fell to his knees. "I forgot that this happens," he said, getting to his feet again with a little difficulty. Xion whined. "I know, I know," said Dongmyeong. "I need to finish the job," he said, taking a deep breath. "But can I?" He asked.

Xion answered by launching himself at Dongmyeong and Dongmyeong was forced to bring up the knife in self defense and Xion barreled into him, knocking Dongmyeong onto his back. Xion struggled for a second as Dongmyeong forced the knife deeper into Xion's stomach. After a minute Xion went still and Dongmyeong moved the heavy body off him, laying there breathless afterwards.

Wontak walked over and held out a hand. Dongmyeong grabbed it and Wontak pulled him to his feet, letting go afterwards. "Good job," said Wontak. "Thank you," said Dongmyeong as he turned to Xion's body. "You're getting sloppy kid," said Wontak. "Oi," grumbled Dongmyeong as he wiped his face with the back of his hand. "At least the scratches stopped bleeding," he said. He went over and grabbed the knife, taking it out of Xion's body and wiping the blade off his pants. "It's yours then," he said as he turned to Wontak. "Of course," said Wontak.

Hwanhee walked over as Dongmyeong put the knife back in its holster. "We have missions to finish," he said. "Of course we do," said Dongmyeong as he turned to Hwanhee. "We'll have time to grieve after we head home," he said. "Yeah," said Hwanhee.

"Well," said Wontak. "I'll see you two around," he said. "If I'm in the area of your territory I'll stop by," he said. Dongmyeong nodded. "I'd like that, but let Xiao know first of course," he said. Wontak nodded.

"Let's go then," said Hwanhee. "Right," said Dongmyeong as he left with Hwanhee.