Chapter 19

A Tale of Two Brothers

In the months following Xion's death turned out to be different for Dongmyeong. It was almost like he had been cured from his narcolepsy, but other than that he didn't feel too different. The only thing Dongmyeong had left of his brother, other than his sketchbook, was a large claw mark going down his left cheek from where he had been scratched.

Hwanhee was in one of those moods, just wanting to get these missions over with so he could go home. The sketchbook left behind by Xion was kept safe with Dongmyeong who made sure that nothing happened to it.

Spain was fine, Sungjin had been a gracious host and let them stay in Barcelona for the duration of their stay. By the time they had gotten there everyone had heard about what happened and everyone could only try and make things easier for the team that now consisted of just Hwanhee and Dongmyeong.

Going from Spain to the U.K. was a bit different for Dongmyeong. He got to catch up with Kwangsuk and his team who were one of the very first teams that Dongmyeong met after becoming a werewolf hunter. Donghun could sympathize with Dongmyeong because of his own brother Woojin still being in the world as a vampire hunter. The missions went fine though, and it was enough to get them home.

 

~



Returning home was a disaster for Dongmyeong. Gunhak had slammed Dongmyeong into the wall, snarling in his face. "You killed our youngest," he snarled. "You could've done something," he spat. "Oi," said Xiao as he dragged Gunhak away from Dongmyeong. "Leave it," he said. Dongmyeong slid to the floor in shock, speechless as he stared up at the scene before him.

"How do you think he felt as his brother?" Asked Xiao. "You think he wanted to do that?" He asked. "He has no reason to be here anymore," spat Gunhak. "I vote him out," he said. "Well, this is my decision," growled Xiao. "And I say he stays," he said. "If I recall he has no ties here now, which puts him under my jurisdiction," he said.

"He stays, we leave," said Gunhak. "Fine," said Xiao. "Leave the only form of protection you have against werewolf hunters," he said. "You guys aren't safe from this either you know," he said. "Xion was your only way of being safe, and Dongmyeong never joined your pack, he was here because of Xion," he said.

"I guess, the drawing he made doesn't matter to you anymore then," said Dongmyeong. "He finished it?" Asked Xiao as he turned to Dongmyeong. Dongmyeong nodded, getting to his feet. "I was gonna give it to them, since it was made for them but," he said. "He finished several," said Hwanhee as he shrugged, walking over. "But the one that shows his own pack doesn't matter anymore I guess," he said.

"I'm staying," said Hwanwoong. "Xion would've wanted us to stay," he said. "I am too," said Youngjo. "Think this through, this wasn't Dongmyeong's fault," he said. "You wouldn't understand," said Dongmyeong. "How it felt to kill your own sibling because of something like that," he said. "Give it some thought, before leaving," he said.

 

~



Dongmyeong looked down at the sketchbook that was sitting on the desk that Xion used when he couldn't sleep. It was open to one of the drawings, one that was left partially colored because it had been started the day he had been killed.

"Are you gonna finish coloring it?" Asked Hwanwoong as he walked over and looked over Dongmyeong's shoulder. "I don't know," said Dongmyeong. "I think he'd want you to," said Hwanwoong. "It has all of us, in our animal and wolf forms," he said. "See, these two?" He asked, pointing to the head of a polar bear and a lynx that was front and center of the page. "That's Wooseok and Jinhyuk," he said. "My pack and I are here," he said, pointing to different wolf heads in the lower left corner. "But he put you and Hwanhee over here," he said, pointing to the lion and another wolf head a bit to the right of Wooseok and Jinhyuk. Dongmyeong hummed in response.

"Ah, here's himself and Xiao," said Hwanwoong. "He colored them first it looks like," he said, pointing to two wolf heads to the left of Jinhyuk and Wooseok. "And then there's the rest of the 'shifters under them," he said. "I'm surprised you know everyone," said Dongmyeong. "It's pretty easy to know who is who, you just gotta be observant," Hwanwoong said with a chuckle. "Here, I'll help you color in the rest," he said, going to get the markers.

 

~



Xiao held up the picture frame of the finished colored sketch of everyone in their animal and wolf forms, nodding his approval before hanging it up in the livingroom. "He did a good job," he said. "He really knew how to pick out the correct color fur for everyone," agreed Hwanhee as he looked at the picture. "Well, he had help," said Hwanwoong as he grinned in triumph.

"Where is Dongmyeong anyway?" Asked Xiao as he turned to Hwanwoong. "He went out to the pond," said Hwanwoong. "Something about seeing an old friend or something," he added. "Hm, I see," said Xiao as he turned to look at the picture again, adjusting it slightly before moving back to admire it.

 

~



Dongmyeong stood at the pond again with his hands in his hoodie pockets, wondering if his little fox friend would remember him after being away for so long. "I hope so," grumbled Dongmyeong as he picked up a rock and skipped it across the water.

There, familiar pawsteps alerted Dongmyeong to a visitor and Dongmyeong couldn't help the smile that appeared, turning and spotting the fox. "Hey little guy," he said, bending down when the fox went up to him. "I'm back," he said, reaching out to pet it.

"You wouldn't believe the hell I went through the passed few months," he said, reaching into his pants pocket and taking out a piece of jerky before handing it to the fox and watching as the fox grabbed it and moved away to eat it. "I think I'm crazy to be talking to a fox, but," he said, shrugging as he stood and turned back to the pond. "I'm not even human, so what's crazy anymore?" He asked, putting his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"You're right, you are crazy for talking to a fox," came Hwanwoong's voice as he walked over with his hands in his hoodie pockets. "Am I needed for anything?" Asked Dongmyeong as he turned his head to look at Hwanwoong. "No, no," said Hwanwoong as he shook his head. "Everyone was curious about this friend of yours," he said. "Oh?" Asked Dongmyeong.

"People came out here while you were gone to try and spot the fox," said Hwanwoong as he motioned to said fox. "But it never came," he said. "Now that you're here it's here," he said. Dongmyeong chuckled some. "Xion saw him before," he said. "He and Kogyeol did," he added. Hwanwoong hummed, going to stand beside Dongmyeong.

"Things are going to be different now," Dongmyeong said suddenly. "I know," said Hwanwoong. "I'm here, as you will be for me I suppose," he said. "No one would believe we were mates anyway," he said with a snort. "We hide it too well," agreed Dongmyeong.

"Was Xion's last words really to stay for me?" Asked Hwanwoong. Dongmyeong nodded. "I don't think he knew, but it's possible," he said. "He said that you needed me more now, since he'll be gone," he said. Hwanwoong hummed.

"Well," said Dongmyeong as he turned to watch the fox head back to where ever it came from. "Let's see where everything goes from here then?" He asked, turning to Hwanwoong. "Of course," said Hwanwoong.

"To our future then," said Dongmyeong as he held out a hand. "To our future," said Hwanwoong as he shook hands with Dongmyeong.