Chapter 8

A Tale of Two Brothers

"Ah, time is short," said Dongmyeong as stood at the train station waiting on the train to take them back to Berlin to turn in their bounties. "It is," hummed Xion as he stood beside his brother. Hwanhee was standing off to the side, having a quiet conversation with Wooseok who would be accompanying them back to Berlin. Something about seeing Eunwoo and Jinhyuk again was what Wooseok had explained.
 

~



"If I didn't know any better I'd think that you and Jinhyuk were mates," said Dongmyeong as he turned to look at Wooseok. Wooseok snorts. "It's more complicated than that," he said. "How so?" Asked Dongmyeong.

"I don't think I ever told you about my past did I?" Asked Wooseok. "No," said Dongmyeong. "Well, you know that Jinhyuk and I grew up together," said Wooseok. Dongmyeong nodded. "We aren't mates," said Wooseok. "But how do you tell your best friend that you've got feelings for him?" He asked. "That is a good question," hummed Dongmyeong.

"I think that if we were just humans then there'd be a unrequited love situation here," said Wooseok as he sighed. "But I know for a fact that we aren't mates, my instincts don't want me to be with him," he said. "And yet you have feelings for him," said Dongmyeong. Wooseok nodded.

"I think you should tell him," said Dongmyeong. "Get it off your chest," he said. "And if he doesn't return the feelings?" Asked Wooseok. "Then that's fine," said Dongmyeong. "You're not his mate," he said. "Maybe you'll find your mate while there, who knows," he said. "Yeah... I guess," said Wooseok.

 

~



The trip to Berlin was fine, Dongmyeong got to be awake and let Xion sleep, since this would probably be the last mission for a while. Wooseok was silent the entire time, and Hwanhee knew why. He didn't question Wooseok though, figuring that he would be able to handle this on his own.

When they arrived Jinhyuk was there to greet them and there was a slight hesitation between him and Wooseok. "Long time no see," said Jinhyuk as he grinned. "Yeah, I know right," Wooseok said, chuckling awkwardly.

"Where are you three headed?" Asked Jinhyuk as he turned to Hwanhee. "To the bank then over to the coffee shop," said Hwanhee as he rubbed the back of his neck. "From there we'll head on home," he said.

"What, no staying around?" Asked Jinhyuk. "I think these two are ready to head home," said Hwanhee as he motioned to Xion and Dongmyeong. "Homesick?" Asked Jinhyuk. "A bit," said Xion as he scratched the back of his head. "But we were enjoying a rather nice vacation before being called out," he said. "Ah, I see," said Jinhyuk. "Well, let's go to the bank then," he said.

After turning in their missions Hwanhee booked a first class flight back to JFK airport then an economy ticket down to Roanoke, deciding to make it a night time flight to try and reset their body clocks. They decided to stay at Moonbin's coffee shop for a few hours, letting Dongmyeong get some sleep.

The awkwardness between Wooseok and Jinhyuk was so noticeable by the others working that day that Eunwoo decided to take over the counter and let Wooseok have a much needed talk with Jinhyuk. "Even we can see what's going on, have a talk, I can man things for a bit," explained Eunwoo. "Fine fine," said Jinhyuk as he sighed, walking over to where Wooseok was and sitting in front of him.

Whatever talk was going to happen was going to be too quiet for everyone to hear it seemed, but Xion chalked it up to everyone wanting to give the two privacy, as he too had noticed the not so hidden crush that Wooseok had on his best friend.

Hwanhee was being a concerned friend, as he kept an eye on Wooseok and Jinhyuk. "This could either end very badly or be good for the two," mumbled Xion. "It depends on how Jinhyuk takes it," said Hwanhee. "I hope it goes well though," he added.

After a bit they noticed that it had gotten quiet at Wooseok's table, with Jinhyuk looking stoic and Wooseok refusing to look at him. "That doesn't look good," said Hwanhee as he blinked. "No, it doesn't," said Dongmyeong as he opened his eyes, shaking his head to clear what drowsiness he could away from his mind.

Before they could ponder it further the door chimed, and in walked a new face, going straight to Dongmyeong. "You are hard as hell to track down when you don't want to be found you know that?" Growled the new person as he dragged Dongmyeong to his feet by his shirt. "Oi," said Xion as he got up, about to walk over before Dongmyeong stopped him.

"Let me go Harin," said Dongmyeong as he stared Harin down, his alpha aura releasing on instinct. Wooseok and Jinhyuk walked over, keeping their distance when Dongmyeong held up a hand. "We're in a public place," said Dongmyeong. "Do you think you can get away with doing this?" He asked.

Harin let go of Dongmyeong's shirt, shoving him back onto the chair. "You damn traitor," he spat. "The hell did I do?" Asked Dongmyeong. "All I did was leave the team," he said.

"Old friend of yours?" Asked Hwanhee as he moved to stand between Dongmyeong and Harin. "My old pack leader, before I left," said Dongmyeong. "Betrayed us more like," growled Harin. "Left us to the hunters," he spat.

"You made it out didn't you?" Asked Dongmyeong. "You god damn left us to die," snarled Harin as he stepped forward, being pushed back by Hwanhee. "I suggest you leave," said Hwanhee. "This isn't the place for that," he said. "Make me," said Harin.

It was then that Jinhyuk moved, shoving Harin off to the side and pushing him into a table, keeping his arms behind his back. "He said to leave him be," he growled. "Now, get the hell out before we call Sanggyun in here," he spat as he dragged Harin out the door.

"We should go," said Hwanhee as he schooled his expression to be blank. Dongmyeong nodded, his shoulders slumping. "We should," he said. "Sorry for the trouble," he said, turning to Eunwoo. "No worries," said Eunwoo. "Have a safe trip home," he said. "Yeah yeah," said Dongmyeong.