Chapter 3

A Tale of Two Brothers

When they got home Xiao was waiting on them, wondering what the news was. "Everything went fine I assume?" Asked Xiao. "Yeah," said Hwanhee. "He stumbled upon a blood den," he said. "So nothing was brought up against him," he said. "That's good," said Xiao. "Everyone was worried," he said.

"Did we miss anything while we were gone?" Asked Hwanhee. "Mm, not really," said Xiao. "Just the usual banter between everyone," he said. "No one does the late night talk sessions anymore, at least not when Xion isn't here," he said. "It feels weird, to the others anyway," he added. "That would make sense," said Hwanhee. "He kept it up even after Wooseok and Jinhyuk left," he hummed, nodding.

"I'll leave you to unpack then," said Xiao. "Jinwook's been wanting to spend time with you again," he said, snickering. "Oi," Hwanhee said, slapping Xiao over the back of the head as he blushed. "Ow," whined Xiao as he rubbed the back of his head. "Just go, seriously," he said, laughing some as he ran away before Hwanhee could hit him again. Hwanhee sighed and headed upstairs after grabbing his bag.

 

~



"How was the hunts?" Asked Gunhak as he and Youngjo met the twins in the room they shared with Hwanwoong. "Went fine," said Xion. Dongmyeong nodded in agreement. "Nothing too bad happened, well, until we hit the last spot," he said. "We heard," said Hwanwoong. "At least it was just a blood den," he said. Everyone hummed in agreement.

"I heard you two took Wooseok's room," said Xion. "We did," said Youngjo. "It's not like it was being used, but it also gives the 'shifters more privacy, and our room became a guest room," he said. "Kuhn used to complain, jokingly of course, about our smell," he said. "We smell like pine forest to everyone, so I doubt they minded the smell, too much anyway," he said, chuckling some, earning chuckles from everyone.

"Well, we'll leave you two to unwind," said Gunhak. "No one does the late night talk sessions without you two anymore," he said. "So, if you're up for having one just let everyone know," he said. "Sure," said Xion. "I doubt I'll get any sleep again for a while," he said, sighing. "Take the time to unwind, we'll be across the hall," said Gunhak. Xion and Dongmyeong nodded and Gunhak left the room with Youngjo.

"How's the nightmares been?" Asked Xion as he turned to Hwanwoong. "I'm not having them as often as I used to," said Hwanwoong. "Which is great because I can finally get some decent amount of sleep," he said. "You guys been sent out to find any blood dens lately?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Kuhn does," said Hwanwoong. "I think he wants to feel like he's doing something to help," he said. "Due to Kogyeol leaving I assume," he added. "I see," said Xion.

 

~



Xion did end up going outside for a late night talk session, deciding to let his brother and Hwanwoong sleep. He didn't tell any of the others but he wondered if they knew. He decided to sit and wait to see who would show up, sitting in his recliner and reclining back, looking up at the ceiling of the gazebo in silence.

Kuhn showed up an hour later, deciding to lay down in the loveseat and let his legs hang off one end. "Hey Kuhn," said Xion as he turned his attention to said person. "Hello," hummed Kuhn as he looked at Xion before looking back up at the ceiling.

"How's things?" Asked Xion. "Could be better," said Kuhn. "I'm handling things alright I guess," he added. "I'm so used to Kogyeol being in the same room as me that it's weird to not see him there anymore," he said. "That makes sense," said Xion. "I think," he added. Kuhn let out a light chuckle at that.

"I mean, I'd want to do so too," said Xion. "If any of the others of my pack left," he added. "I've been with them for so long," he said. "So I'd want to fill that person's place as much as possible," he added. "Yeah," said Kuhn.

Another hour passed before Hwanwoong came outside, going to sit down with a sigh. "I couldn't sleep," was his explanation. "More like "Xion's back, let's go have a late night talk session," Xion said with a snicker, earning a slap on the arm from Hwanwoong. Kuhn laughs, shaking his head.

"What did I miss?" Asked Hwanwoong. "Just Kuhn talking about wanting to fill the gap that Kogyeol left," said Xion. "Ah..." Said Hwanwoong. "I feel like we've been making more of an effort to fill in Seoho and Keonhee's places," he said. "Yeah," said Xion.

"Were those two... Important?" Asked Kuhn. "Not really," Xion said honestly. "Seoho was not one to follow Keonhee but," he said, sighing. "They didn't like Gunhak leading," said Hwanwoong. "So I guess in a way it was going to happen anyway," he said. "Right," said Kuhn.

"I think Gunhak was right in letting you become his beta," said Hwanwoong. "Having the opinion of the youngest and the oldest has really helped us," agreed Xion. "Xiao has Jinwook, and Sunyoul," said Kuhn. "I think they've made it work as best as they could," he said.

"They did," said Xion. "Hwanhee used to have conversations about this while we were out," he said. "Xiao has so much on his shoulders," hummed Hwanwoong. "But I'm sure he can do it," he said. "Gunhak took a load off his shoulders to keep us in line," he said. Kuhn nodded.

 

~



Their conversations were interrupted by Sunyoul, who sighed at the sight. "Really?" He asked. "I expected at least Hwanhee but come on," he said, shaking his head. Kuhn chuckled. "Sorry," he said. "Xiao wants you to make breakfast with him," Sunyoul said to Xion. "Sure," said Xion as he moved to get up, rushing inside to start on breakfast.

"How was the talk last night?" Asked Xiao as he stood at the stove. "Went fine, Kuhn joined me last night," said Xion as he went to start the coffee maker before going to get what they needed for breakfast. Xiao nodded, humming in acknowledgement as they worked on breakfast.