Chapter 11

A Tale of Two Brothers

"...What is your name?" Asked Gunhak as he stood in front of Xion. "D-Dongju," said Xion. "But you can call me Xion," he said. "Aish, this kid," grumbled Seoho. "Back off will you?" Asked Gunhak. "He's with us now," he said. "Fine, fine," said Seoho.

"You're with us now," said Gunhak. "So try and get along with everyone okay?" He asked. Xion nodded.

 

~



"Xion!" Called Xiao as he knocked on the door to Xion's room. "Come help me make breakfast," he shouted. "Coming!" Xion called back as he got up, going to wake his twin and trusting that Kogyeol would come join them for breakfast soon enough.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Asked Xiao as Xion entered the kitchen. "No," said Xion. "But that's fine," he said. "I got to put my creative mind to work and drew," he said. "You draw?" Asked Xiao. "I'm not good, but yeah," said Xion as he scratched the back of his head. "Cool," said Xiao.

"What do you need me to do?" Asked Xion. "Cut the vegetables here, and wash them," said Xiao as he pointed. Xion nodded and went to do so.

"What's for breakfast?" Asked Gunhak as he walked into the kitchen. "The usual," said Xiao. "Of course," said Gunhak as he walked over to the coffee maker to get his coffee. "What are we doing today?" Asked Xion. "Much needed grocery shopping, it's our turn," said Gunhak. "Oh, fun," said Xion. "I'll write down what we need," said Xiao. "Thanks," said Xion as he nodded.

 

~



"...Xion, this is Hwanwoong, he'll be rooming with you for the time being," said Gunhak as he introduced the two. "Maybe you two can work something out," he said. Xion nodded. "Hello," he said. "Hi," said Hwanwoong as he smiled some. "Get along well now, we've got stuff to do," said Gunhak. Xion nodded.

"So what do we do in this pack?" Asked Hwanwoong as he ran errands with Xion. "Well, I'm one of the betas, but we help find blood dens," said Xion. "What, like the ones vampires use?" Asked Hwanwoong. Xion nodded. "We've been hired by someone who has some contacts within the association and if we're needed we're usually sent to find them," he said. "Or if someone reports then then we go see if there's anymore in the area," he said. "Ah, I see," said Hwanwoong.

"We'll run into a lot of teams then?" He asked. "Yeah, but only if they really need us," said Xion. "I see," said Hwanwoong. "Who's out right now?" He asked. "Keonhee and Seoho, they went to Europe for whatever reason," said Xion. "They weren't after a blood den but our employer needed us for something," he said. "Ah," said Hwanwoong.

The phone rang and Xion picked it up. "What's up?" He asked. "Come back home, we're needed in Europe to check on a marked human," said Youngjo. "Alright, we'll be there in a bit," said Xion before he hung up. "Let's go then," he said, turning to Hwanwoong. Hwanwoong nodded.

 

~



"Hwanwoong!" Shouted Xion as he tackled said person when Hwanwoong stepped into the kitchen. "Oof," said Hwanwoong as he was nearly knocked over, quickly steadying himself. "Hey, I see I was missed by my roommate," he said, laughing as he tousled Xion's hair, causing Xion to whine as he moved back.

"You're just in time for dinner," said Xiao as he stood at the stove. "Where's the others?" He asked. "Unpacking and things, I see we got another roommate," said Hwanwoong. "I don't trust him to be in the guest room alone," Xiao said, shaking his head. "Makes sense," said Hwanwoong. "He gets my bed anyway," said Xion. "I haven't been able to sleep very much the passed few weeks," he said, sighing as he turned back to the counter.

"He'll move into Kuhn's room, now that Kuhn is back anyway," said Xiao. "They were roommates before weren't they?" Asked Xion. "Yeah," said Xiao.

 

~



"...Still unable to sleep?" Asked Xiao as he stepped out onto the back deck to spy Xion in his usual spot, leaning against the railing. "I got a little bit of sleep earlier," mumbled Xion as he looked out towards the forest behind their property. "I just came out to watch the sunrise," he said.

"Everyone thinks we hate each other apparently," said Xiao as he joined Xion, leaning against the railing beside him. "I know," said Xion. "But we're just friends," he said. Xiao nodded. "Yeah... Just friends," he hummed.

 

~



"You two are mates aren't you?" Asked Dongmyeong as he and Xion sat beside Xiao on the couch while Xiao watched a movie. "What makes you think that?" Asked Xiao. "It just seems like it," said Dongmyeong. "Wouldn't it be obvious though?" Asked Xion. "I guess there's that," hummed Dongmyeong.

"So what's the final verdict on Kogyeol?" Asked Xion. "He's staying," said Xiao. "It seems that Kuhn was able to convince everyone after all," hummed Dongmyeong. "You were listening again weren't you?" Asked Xion.

"No no," said Dongmyeong. "I think I'm the first to notice that the two were mates," he said. "Ah... It's like Hwanhee and Jinwook all over again," Xiao said, sighing. "They kept their relationship a secret for years, though it was more because Jinwook was rather... Hesitant to try for another relationship after what happened," he said.

"I've noticed it too," said Xion. "Though it's not that obvious, the signs were there," he said. "I think that's why Kogyeol came back," he said. "Who knows what will happen next," he said, shrugging.

 

~



"...You really want to become a vampire hunter?" Asked Hwanhee as he blinked, turning to Xion. "I want to keep an eye on Dongmyeong," said Xion. "I don't want him to suddenly disappear again," he said. Hwanhee sighed. "Okay," he said. "I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, but you need some training," he said.

"How long have you been at this?" Asked Xion. "A few years at least," said Hwanhee. "I was put through the initiation phase by Moonbin himself," he said. "With me being a 'shifter and all, they figured that Moonbin would be fine," he said.

"Have you ever made a mistake?" Asked Xion. "One, but I shouldn't talk about something like that yet," hummed Hwanhee. "Maybe I'll tell you one day," he said. "After I get initiated?" Asked Xion. "Sure, why not," said Hwanhee as he nodded. Xion nodded.

"I warn you, I'm a tough teacher," said Hwanhee. "Don't expect me to go easy on you, vampires won't go easy on you," he said. "I expect as much," said Xion as he nodded.

"I'll have to tell Gunhak of your decision, but I'm sure he won't mind," said Hwanhee. "It's your brother I'm more worried about," he added. "You think he'll try to convince me not to?" Asked Xion. "No, your brother was a werewolf hunter," said Hwanhee. "And transitioning to becoming a vampire hunter is going to be rather difficult since he's not in a known faction," he said. Xion hummed in response.

 

~



"No sleep again huh?" Asked Hwanhee as he stepped out onto the back deck to see Xion leaning against the railing. "No," hummed Xion as he turned to Hwanhee before turning back to looking at the forest. Hwanhee went to stand beside him after closing the back door, leaning against the railing.

"It's odd," Xion said suddenly. "I thought I'd have a hard time becoming a vampire hunter, but it seems it runs in the family," he said. "It is rather odd," said Hwanhee. "But at least it'll keep you from getting killed, you know what do do," he said. "That's true I guess," agreed Xion.