Chapter 14

A Tale of Two Brothers

Dongmyeong was sitting on the couch in the livingroom with his eyes closed, just listening to everything around him. He wasn't fully into his tracking mode, but he mostly kept an ear out for Xion who was sitting outside in the backyard drawing after asking Kyuhyun if it was okay for him to. Hwanhee had gone to scout out their vampires, trying to see what sort of strategy they would end up doing.

"You seem relaxed," said Kyuhyun as he walked into the livingroom. Dongmyeong hummed in response, opening his eyes and turning his head to look at Kyuhyun. "Just resting my eyes," he said. Kyuhyun hummed in response.

"Problem?" Asked Dongmyeong. "No no," said Kyuhyun as he went to sit down beside Dongmyeong. "For someone who has narcolepsy you do rest your eyes a lot," he said. Dongmyeong snorts. "It's something I do, there's nothing wrong with that is there?" He asked.

"Your history as a werewolf hunter says otherwise," said Kyuhyun. "My reputation exceeds me," said Dongmyeong as he shook his head. "That mantra that became well known within the werewolf hunting community? I was the one who came up with it," he said. "I lost so many of my pack members before that mantra became mainstream," said Kyuhyun. "I'm sorry," said Dongmyeong. "I wish I could've pushed harder to put the mantra out there," he said.

"You realize that your past is going to come back for you?" Asked Kyuhyun. "Trust me, I knew that when I left the werewolf hunting association to join my brother and his pack," said Dongmyeong.

"Your brother won't last long in this world as a vampire hunter," said Kyuhyun. "No, he won't," said Dongmyeong. "But I'm going to do everything I can to keep him alive," he said. "It's either me or him," he said. "If it comes down to it, I want him to be the one left alive," he said. "A bold statement, coming from you," said Kyuhyun.

"You seem to have a grudge against me," said Dongmyeong. "No, trust me I don't," said Kyuhyun. "If I did I would've said no to your team staying here," he said. Dongmyeong hummed in response, closing his eyes again. "Are you actually tired or just spacing out this time?" Asked Kyuhyun. "Both," hummed Dongmyeong. "I'll leave you be then," said Kyuhyun as he got up, going to check on Xion.

 

~



Xion laid on his stomach on a blanket in the grass, humming to himself as he colored his latest sketch. "Having fun?" Asked Kyuhyun as he walked over. "Mhm," said Xion as he looked up from his sketch. "What's up?" He asked.

"Just to came to check on you," said Kyuhyun. "What are you drawing?" He asked. "I finished the drawing," said Xion as he showed Kyuhyun. "But it's getting colored right now," he said. "Ah, I see," said Kyuhyun as he looked at the drawing. "It's nice," he said. "Thanks, I've been working on this one for a while," he said. "Since we left home," he added. "Ah," said Kyuhyun. Xion went back to coloring, humming to himself.

"Your brother seems very... Different," said Kyuhyun as he sat beside Xion, stretching out as he leaned back on his hands. "I'm not sure what you mean by that," said Xion as he paused for a second before continuing to color. "He seems protective of you," said Kyuhyun. "My brother and I were separated for a long time," said Xion. "But thanks to a few friends we found each other again," he said. Kyuhyun hummed in response.

"What did you think, when you heard that he was a werewolf hunter?" Asked Kyuhyun. Xion blinked. "It was my fault partly," he mumbled. "I don't think you'd understand," he said. "Try me," said Kyuhyun.

"I don't think I can talk about something like what happened," said Xion. "It can't be that bad can it?" Asked Kyuhyun. "He had his reasons for becoming a werewolf hunter," said Xion. "Did it have to do with you two being separated?" Asked Kyuhyun. "Sort of," said Xion. "Apparently he was so pissed that he slaughtered my home pack," he said. "He believed that I was dead, and he... Well," he said, shrugging. "Ah," hummed Kyuhyun. "He had a good reason then," he said. "Yeah," hummed Xion.

"Did he kill members of your pack?" Xion asked suddenly, causing Kyuhyun to blink. "Why do you ask?" Asked Kyuhyun. "I dunno, it seems like you hate him in particular or something," said Xion. "No, he didn't kill members of my pack," said Kyuhyun. "He just reminds me of my own brother at times is all," he said. "Oh," said Xion.

 

~



Hwanhee was the next person to be interrogated by Kyuhyun, the two of them sitting on the back porch after dinner, Hwanhee sipping a soda and Kyuhyun having a bottle of beer in his hands.

"What do you think of the two brothers?" Asked Kyuhyun. "They're just brothers," said Hwanhee as he turned his head to look at Kyuhyun. "Dongmyeong is a bit headstrong, but he knows when to listen to me concerning anything mission related," he said. "Xion just follows his brother," he said.

"Xion is the youngest isn't he?" Asked Kyuhyun as he took a gulp of beer. "He is," hummed Hwanhee before he took a gulp of his soda. "Between both our packs," he added. "So your pack is run like Moonbin's then?" Asked Kyuhyun. "In a way, but we outnumber the werewolves," said Hwanhee.

"You ever think that the werewolves would try to do anything?" Asked Kyuhyun. "No," said Hwanhee. "We bring them protection, from the werewolf hunters anyway," he said. "Gunhak knows he can trust us, and the others follow him," he said. "Dongmyeong, though he technically doesn't belong to their pack officially, is there because of Xion," he said. "If Xion left, then I'm sure Dongmyeong would follow," he said as he looked at his bottle before taking a big gulp of soda to finish the bottle.

"Is there anything else you wanted to ask?" He asked. "No, not at this moment," said Kyuhyun. "Just be wary of the twins," he said. "I know," said Hwanhee. "I'm not that stupid," he said, getting up. "We'll be off doing our missions tomorrow, don't worry about us too much," he said. Kyuhyun waved him off and Hwanhee headed inside.