Chapter 10

A Tale of Two Brothers

"....And yet here we are," said Dongmyeong as he stood in front of his packmates. "You knew that this would happen, but you're still surprised?" He asked. "So you're just gonna leave us? For what, a chance to find out if your brother is actually dead or not?" Asked Harin.

"You know I wouldn't have a reason to leave unless I have substantial proof," said Dongmyeong. "What kind of proof do you have? Just witnesses?!" Shouted Harin as he grabbed Dongmyeong by the shirt and slammed him against the wall. "You would rather leave us, your own pack that took you in after everything just to go to a pack you don't know?!" He snarled.

"To be honest here," said Byungchan as he walked over, shoving Harin away from Dongmyeong. "You yourself are quite in a bind aren't you?" He asked, standing in front of Dongmyeong after he slid to the floor. "You wouldn't be fighting so hard to get him to stay if you weren't in trouble hm?" He asked.

"What do you know?" Spat Harin. "Enough to know that as soon as he leaves werewolf hunters will be coming after you," said Byungchan. "I may just be a nobody to you, but you don't know who I know," he said. "Now, back off and let him go," he said. "You're not gonna get anywhere with that attitude, no wonder werewolf hunters were sent to kill you," he said. Harin clenched his hands into fists at his side, but moved back, letting Dongmyeong go. "Good choice," said Byungchan.

 

~



"Dongmyeong?" Came Xion's voice, and Dongmyeong blinked, coming back to the world as he turned to Xion. "Hm?" Asked Dongmyeong. "You were spacing out again," said Xion. "I asked if you wanted to go running," he said. "Oh, yeah, sure," said Dongmyeong. Xion grinned. "Let's go!" He said, calling for Gunhak and Xiao who would be running with them. Dongmyeong shook his head in amusement and went outside with the others.
 

~



"...You'll come back right?" Asked Giwook. "I don't know," said Dongmyeong. "But we'll see," he said. "At least tell us when you find your brother, I wouldn't mind meeting him," said Giwook. Dongmyeong chuckled some. "Sure," he said.

"We'll be here if you need us," said Yonghoon. "I know," said Dongmyeong as he turned to Yonghoon. "Take care of Kanghyun will you? I'd hate to have the same mistake happen to you both," he said. "No one is gonna get between me and my little brother, I promise you," said Yonghoon. Dongmyeong nodded. "Good luck then," he said.

Byungchan walked over with a backpack slung over his shoulders with his hands in his pockets. "Ready?" He asked. "Yeah," said Dongmyeong as he nodded. "I got everything," he said. "Alright, we got a train to catch," said Byungchan as a train horn sounded.

 

~



Dongmyeong lounged in his usual spot outside, lying wide awake as he listened to the silence of the night around him. He was alone at least, he wasn't sure if he could handle talking to any of the others right now. It was just after midnight anyway, so he was expecting at least one person to join him but for now he sat spacing out, humming to himself as he fidgeted with his fingers in thought.

"Just you tonight?" Came a voice, causing Dongmyeong to turn to said voice, spotting Jinwook standing beside him. "Yeah, for now," said Dongmyeong. "What time is it?" He asked. "Just after two," said Jinwook as he handed Dongmyeong a bottle of water before sitting down in one of the other chairs. "I see," hummed Dongmyeong as he nodded.

"Do you mind my company?" Asked Jinwook. "Go ahead and sit," said Dongmyeong. "I just couldn't sleep," he said. "Wide awake huh?" Asked Jinwook. "Yep," said Dongmyeong. "I did see Xion turn in for the night," hummed Jinwook. Dongmyeong nodded, taking a sip of water before putting the bottle on the table.

 

~



"...It's odd," said Wooseok as he sat in his recliner outside. "I had my suspicions of you being his brother," he said. "We have met before haven't we?" Asked Dongmyeong as he was lying down in his usual spot. "I was merely passing through, but you let me stay the night since it was a thunderstorm," he said. Wooseok nodded. "It was right after we moved in, and everyone was out," he said.

"Why didn't you say something before?" Asked Dongmyeong. "I wasn't going to act on instinct like that," said Wooseok as he shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest. "You would've been right though," said Dongmyeong. "We were still in the works of merging packs, that sort of thing wouldn't've gone well," said Wooseok. "I guess," said Dongmyeong.

"Are you gonna take that offer?" Asked Dongmyeong. "I will," said Wooseok. "Though, I will have to see for myself what their leader is like," he added. "Seungwoo won't go along with this until I say I'm in anyway," he said.

"Why what's up?" He asked. "Ah, nothing," said Dongmyeong. "Your pack seems fine with you leading, why are you stepping down?" He asked. "You'll see why when an argument starts up," said Wooseok. "They used to get really bad," he said. "Mm," said Dongmyeong.

"You said you were a tracker?" Asked Wooseok. "I still am, but yes," said Dongmyeong as he shrugged. "What's up?" He asked. "What do you think of Kogyeol?" Asked Wooseok. Dongmyeong blinked. "Why do you want to know what I think of him?" He asked. "I'm just curious," said Wooseok.

"I think there's more to his beta status than you realize," said Dongmyeong. "He's loyal, very loyal to you," he said. "If you decided to leave he wouldn't have a reason to still be here," he added. "Hm, interesting," said Wooseok. "I don't think he minds my brother's pack's presence, but I dunno," Dongmyeong said, shrugging.

"He doesn't want to argue with everyone, but sometimes personalities clash," he said. "I see," hummed Wooseok.

 

~



"What, you want to rejoin the pack?!" Asked Xiao as Kogyeol stood on the front porch. "There's no ulterior motive I swear," said Kogyeol as he rubbed the back of his neck in nervousness. "You come by on a day where not all of the pack is here too, god damn you and your timing," said Xiao as he sighed.

"I dunno," said Dongmyeong as he and Sunyoul stood behind him. "You could do what this one pack did," he added. "Have him on trial or something, have people keep an eye on him," he said. "Either way, it's your call, this doesn't involve the werewolves," said Sunyoul.

Xiao sighed again, coming to a conclusion. "I don't know," he said. "But sure, we'll have you on trial," he said. "The others won't be back for a while, they've been sent out on a pretty long mission," he said. "But," he added. "You're rooming with the twins," he said. "Fine with me," said Kogyeol.

 

~



"...You don't judge me like the others, why?" Asked Kogyeol as he turned to Dongmyeong as they stood at the shore of the pond. "I dunno," said Dongmyeong. "I don't judge people for what they did in the past," he said. "I've always done that, more due to my own past," he said. "Was your past that bad?" Asked Kogyeol. "In a way," said Dongmyeong. "But I've moved on from it," he said.

"There's no point in dwelling on someone's past," hummed Kogyeol. "Look passed it and move on," agreed Dongmyeong.

 

~



"You haven't changed a bit you know," said Kogyeol as he took a walk with Dongmyeong and Xion. "Of course not," said Dongmyeong as he shrugged. "I didn't think you were that bad," said Xion. "Everyone just hated the arguments you liked getting into," he said.

"I didn't like getting into the arguments, it's basically Hwanwoong and Sunyoul all over again," said Kogyeol. "Those two worked things out though," said Xion. "I tried to," said Kogyeol. "Things happen," said Dongmyeong. "You're stuck with us now, make the most of it at least," he said. "I guess," said Kogyeol.