Chapter 17

A Tale of Two Brothers

"GOD DAMN IT!" Shouted Dongmyeong as he came upon a gruesome scene again. "It happened again?!" He asked. "Why?! We were so god damn careful this time!" He said, throwing his hands up in desperation.

Dongmyeong's shouts brought over Hwanhee and Wontak who cursed at the scene. "We tried, we tried so hard," whimpered Dongmyeong as he fell to his knees, punching the ground with his fists.

 

~A couple days earlier~



Xion was being quiet, looking out the window of the train they were in as it headed towards their destination. His sketchbook laid on the folding table in front of him but he didn't draw, he just fiddled with the pen in his hand as he stared off into space. Dongmyeong was sleeping in the seat beside him, a rare sight for them as it was usually Xion who slept when they traveled. Xion couldn't sleep, so he let Dongmyeong sleep this time.

"Care to share your thoughts?" Asked Hwanhee when he came to sit down across from Xion, bringing over a cup of coffee for them both. "I'm just thinking," hummed Xion as he turned to look at Hwanhee before spotting the cup of coffee. He grabbed it and took a sip before setting it down and looking down at the blank page he was on. Hwanhee hummed, nodding as he turned to look out the window.

"What's going to happen to me?" Xion asked suddenly, earning a slightly startled look from Hwanhee as he turned to Xion. "What do you mean?" Asked Hwanhee. "I-If it happens again, what's going to happen?" Asked Xion.

"To be honest, I don't know," Hwanhee answered truthfully. "I've never had a situation like this come up, I doubt any team has," he added. "But from what I've managed to gather, it won't end well if it happens again," he said. "Oh," mumbled Xion. "We'll go the extra length, don't worry," said Hwanhee. "I told you we'd be running into other teams, and our next stop has a team waiting for us," he said Xion nodded. "I'm going to the bathroom," he said, getting up and maneuvering around Dongmyeong before heading over to where the bathrooms were.

Hwanhee watched him go before turning his attention to Dongmyeong. "You were awake weren't you?" He asked. "Nothing can get passed you can it?" Asked Dongmyeong as he opened his eyes, stretching in his seat as he turned to Hwanhee. Hwanhee smirked. "I may not be that good at tracking but I could tell that you were awake," he said. "Of course," Dongmyeong said with a chuckle. Hwanhee chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee as he turned his attention back to the window.

"Who are we meeting?" Asked Dongmyeong. "I think you may know him," said Hwanhee as he turned to Dongmyeong. "Who is it?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Wontak," said Hwanhee. "Oh, him!" Said Dongmyeong. "We were on the same initiation mission," he said. "I remember him," he said.

"I wasn't aware that he called Germany home," he said. "He doesn't," said Hwanhee. "But he happened to be in the area," he said. "We'll meet him at the next stop," he said. "I wonder how he's holding up," hummed Dongmyeong as he looked thoughtful.

Xion came back to his seat, maneuvering to sit down in his spot by the window. He went back to staring off into space, zoning out. Dongmyeong found himself being wide awake again as he blinked. "I guess it's my turn to be awake for a bit," he said. Hwanhee hummed. "We're almost there," he said. "So not for much longer," he said. Dongmyeong hummed in response.

 

~



When they reached their destination Hwanhee took the leader position again as he got the twins off the train. There was someone waiting for them on the platform, standing with his arms crossed as he waited for them. Dongmyeong was the first to spot them, a grin appearing on his face as he recognized who it was.

"Wontak!" Said Dongmyeong. "Hey," Wontak said with a grin, letting his arms fall to his side as he walked over to them. "Long time no see kid," he said. "Oi, I'm not that much younger than you," said Dongmyeong as he scowled, earning a chuckle from Wontak.

"I heard you went to the other side," said Wontak. "Yeah," said Dongmyeong as he scratched the back of his head. "I was lucky enough to get onto a team," he said. "I see," hummed Wontak as he spotted Hwanhee and Xion.

"Wontak," said Hwanhee. "Hello," said Wontak. "A deal is a deal I suppose," he said. "I'll help you, but you have to help me in return," he said. "Isn't that how it usually goes?" Asked Hwanhee as his expression turned serious. "Of course," said Wontak. "We'll talk details at the hotel, come on," he said as he turned and walked away. Hwanhee, Xion and Dongmyeong followed after him.

"Everyone is on their toes," said Wontak as they entered his hotel room. "The werewolf hunters especially, after hearing of what happened anyway," he added. "One more screw up like that? He's done for," he said, nodding his head towards Xion. "It won't happen," growled Dongmyeong. "We don't know that," said Xion. "Xion's right," said Hwanhee.

"Best case scenario this is the last time this happens and you can finish your missions and go home," said Wontak. "Worst case, well I'm here for that," he said. "Yedam himself sent me to keep an eye on you, I even have the mission details here," he said, tossing a folder at Hwanhee who caught it and opened it up, reading the papers inside.

"You understand now? How serious this situation is?" Asked Wontak as Hwanhee handed the folder to Dongmyeong and Xion to read. "They sent the best person for the job," remarked Hwanhee. Wontak snorts. "I'm not the best, that title belongs to the two brothers, Yuvin and Kookheon," he said. "I'm the best at what I do because I know how we work," he said. "I have yet to fail a mission due to a tiny mistake," he said.

"Here's how we do this," said Wontak, leaning against the back of the chair he sat down in. "I'll take Xion with me," he said. "Take out the werewolf I was sent after," he added. "And then we'll go for your vampires in this country," he said. "Let you two rest for the afternoon," he said. "If nothing happens, we'll continue on," he said.

"What are we doing?" Asked Xion. "I'm seeing how you do in battle," said Wontak. "You were trained as a fighter weren't you?" He asked. Xion nodded. "I want to see how you fare against another werewolf," said Wontak. "So I'm letting you take this mission," he added. Xion blinked.

"I'm seeing what is triggering your... Killing sprees," explained Wontak. "If we can get to the bottom of it, we can prevent more from happening," he said. "I see," said Xion.

"I'd like to go now if you don't mind," said Wontak. "I'm fine with that," said Xion as he nodded. "Well, let's go," said Wontak before he got up and left the room. Xion turned to Hwanhee, a bit hesitant. "Go," said Hwanhee. "Wontak knows what he's doing," he said. "I wouldn't be leaving you with him if that wasn't the case," he added. Xion nodded and left, heading to the mission with Wontak.

 

~



Wontak came back with Xion a couple hours later, a successful mission finished. "Not bad," said Wontak. "Almost like you have a natural knack for hunting," he said. "Very few are like that," he added. "That's what I thought," said Xion. "I'll let you keep the bounty," said Wontak. "I see why you trained to be a fighter," he said. "I think you and your brother would make a great team one day," he said.

"Anyway," said Hwanhee. "What did you do?" He asked. "I just took care of the werewolf Wontak was sent after," Xion said, shrugging. "Did a pretty good job I'd say," said Wontak. "Now we need to go after your vampire," he said.

"What are we doing from here?" Asked Hwanhee. "We'll leave Xion here," said Wontak. "And take out your vampires in town," he said. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Asked Dongmyeong. "We're in a small town, and your vampire is outside the town," said Wontak. "There isn't a blood den around the town from what I can see so we're fine," he said. "I did my research," he said. "We'll take extra measures," he added. "Tracking you via location on your phone, handcuffing you to the bedpost, and making sure the door and windows are locked," he said. "We'll be back in half an hour, you'll be fine I'm sure," he said. Xion nodded.

Wontak made sure Xion had his phone in his pocket and location on before getting him to sit against the side of the bed, handcuffing both his hands to the bedpost and making sure he couldn't get out of his restraints before stepping back. "Isn't this a bit much?" Asked Dongmyeong. "Nah, a bit much would be knocking him out so that he wouldn't go anywhere," said Wontak. "Or putting him in a straight jacket," he added. "I'll be fine," said Xion. "Get the mission over with," he said.

 

~



Doing missions with Wontak again sent a wave of nostalgia through Dongmyeong as they went after their vampire. Wontak decided to let Hwanhee lead since he was the most experienced in hunting vampires between the three of them and Hwanhee decided to let Dongmyeong take the kill, as he and Wontak would provide backup.

Dongmyeong fell into the familiar routine of focusing his mind to make him wide awake as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened them again a few minutes later he was ready. "Go," said Hwanhee. "We're right behind you," he added. Dongmyeong nodded and headed off to where their vampire was hiding. Wontak and Hwanhee followed after him.

Dispatching their vampire wasn't hard, even they didn't fight for their life. It was odd, as Dongmyeong expected at least some resistance. "God damn it," swore Hwanhee as he realized the implications of this mission in particular. "That usually means there's a blood den somewhere," he said. "If a vampire's willing to die..." He started. Dongmyeong swore rather loudly and grabbed his phone, going to see where Xion was. "Where is he?" Asked Wontak as he went to look over Dongmyeong's shoulder.

"He's not in the hotel," cursed Dongmyeong as he quickly tracked the phone, running to the location. "I'll go get the car," said Wontak. "Too late, we need to go now," said Hwanhee as he raced after Dongmyeong. Wontak sighed, quickly rushing after them.

"GOD DAMN IT!" Shouted Dongmyeong as he came upon a gruesome scene again. "It happened again?!" He asked. "Why?! We were so god damn careful this time!" He said, throwing his hands up in desperation.

Dongmyeong's shouts brought over Hwanhee and Wontak who cursed at the scene. "We tried, we tried so hard," whimpered Dongmyeong as he fell to his knees, punching the ground with his fists.

Wontak immediately went to survey the damage, looking around for Xion who wasn't in the area. "We need to find him before something else happens," he said, bending down when he found Xion's phone and picking it up. "We can't track him by phone anymore," he said. "I can probably find him," said Dongmyeong as he got to his feet and turned to Wontak. "Tracking's always been your forte, go," said Wontak. Dongmyeong nodded and looked around, spotting bloody footprints. "That way," he said, following after the footprints. Hwanhee and Wontak followed after him.