- 13

Who Wears the Crown Must Bear Its Weight - THE HEIRS REWRITING
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sakura was playing with her own fingers. 
It was barely seven and thirty minutes in the morning and Sakura was the only one present in the classroom. It was not like her to come that early to class but she arrived earlier than she could predict. And apparently, Chaeyeon did too.
The class was immersed into a beautiful calm atmosphere. The air felt soft, delicate. The light entered into the classroom's window, hitting beautifully the wooden surface of the desks. Everything shone with a yellowish kind of aura. It looked magical. The city sounds couldn't reach Sakura's ears, blessing her with the serene sound of the early morning. 
"That stupid ."
Everything got ruined because of Chaeyeon's robotic voice. Swear words slipped from her mouth and Sakura's eyes got wide.
"Isn't that a bad word?" She pronounced in a weird korean. 
Chaeyeon grunted and sat in the seat in front of her.
"That's Nayeon's..." Sakura tried to tell her but Chaeyeon didn't seem to be wanting to let her speak. 
"Let me grieve here for a while." 
The dramatic answer of Chaeyeon made Sakura chuckle. 
"Is it Miyeon again?"
When Sakura spoke and that name came out of , Chaeyeon dashed her books against the floor.
The other girl got scared because of her reaction and gasped.
"I'm sorry I-"
Chaeyeon crossed her arms in front of her chest and then grunted again.
"It's not your fault."
Chaeyeon stopped talking. In her mind, a billion of images were traveling fast.
"Maybe I should be more cruel." She said to herself, nodding.
"I can't be slacking off like this." Chaeyeon added, looking at her fresh manicured nails.
Sakura looked at her while biting her lower lip. She was getting a little bit confused and scared as well. What was she doing? The way she talked to herself was creeping her out. 
"Or people are gonna think I'm a joke." Chaeyeon continued.
"But you're not a joke." Sakura tried saying.
The Korean girl suddenly turned her head towards Sakura, looking at her in the eyes. Sakura had already mentally said goodbye to the beautiful and calm atmosphere of five minutes earlier. Chaeyeon didn't look like she wanted to give up any time soon.
"You know what? I'm gonna plan a party. A carnival one. Wouldn't that be awesome?"
"Why now?"
"Exams just ended. Everyone wants to party now. And Prism is the most successful club ever right now. I can't let that slip out of my hands."
Sakura nodded, while she kept staring at her friend.
Chaeyeon put her feet onto the desk, not caring if her were visible or not. 
"You'll see, Sakura. Let me play this game and I'll make you see how I'm gonna win. No excuses."
Sakura sighed and checker the time on her phone.
Yeah, Chaeyeon-ah. You're gonna win. Now, let me just snooze on my desk and worry about the next mid-term exam.


Later that morning, everyone was gathered in the corridor, at lunch hour. The students ranking was finally exhibited and there was a whole ruckus in the school. Everyone wanted to check at what place they scored. Some people took photos, others chuckled and others stared at the ranking list in horror. Definitely it was one of the most nerve wrecking moments of the year.
Miyeon reached the crowd and smiled when she saw up in the first place her name. It wasn't like she didn't expect it, but every time she saw her name at the top of the list it made her heart race. That way, she couldn't lose her scholarship.
Just out of curiosity, she wanted to check how the other students were doing but it was hard for her since everyone was way taller than her. 
She tiptoed, staring at the cardboard sheet but no matter how much she extended her leg muscles, nothing was working enough to let her see comfortably the end of the list. She tried dodging people's bodies but the crowd was built so thickly around the ranking that nobody was letting her pass forward.
Miyeon sighed, feeling hopeless and kind of suffocated in the middle of so many people.
A hand grabbed her arm and Miyeon turned her head, only to recognize Jongin's face. He suddenly came out of the back and he started moving in the crowd. 
She thanked him mentally because thanks to his big body everyone let him pass through and he brought her to the front with him. Without him, she would still be at the back of the group of people, jumping around to glance the names written on the list.
But both of them weren't ready to witness what was laying in front of their eyes.
Standing proudly at the last place, there he was, Baekhyun again.
Jongin couldn't hold it back. He stared at Baekhyun's name and he laughed. Loudly.
Miyeon stared at him, feeling bad because of his reaction. It wasn't fair to laugh about somebody's failure. Especially if it was Baekhyun's. But Jongin looked like he was having the time of his life. Everyone started whispering, while the cappuccino skin boy had to wipe a tear off his right cheek.
His stomach muscles hurt because of how much he was laughing.
"Wow, Byun heir is a really great student," Jongin commented, while still chuckling.
The crowd of students went completely silent.
Miyeon and Jongin turned around and they realized the students shut up because of Baekhyun's arrival.
He was standing right at the end of the corridor, looking straight into Jongin's eyes. 
Miyeon felt the air getting tense. Electric. Something was popping into the oxygen, making her adrenaline rush. But she couldn't deny that whenever she saw Baekhyun, she felt magnetically attracted to him. It was so hard to admit, but it happened. And there was no solution to that. A fatal connection was hard to destroy.
The taller one stared at Byun and started clapping his hands in a noisy way. It broke the silence and it made Miyeon feel even worse. Baekhyun didn't deserve that mockery.
"You did well Baekhyun-ah." Jongin smiled.
Baekhyun walked slowly towards Jongin, while raising his right eyebrow. 
"I don't know why you're so full of yourself." He commented with a smirk.
"I'm not. I'm solely impressed by your score. Isn't a friend's task to support you?"
Baekhyun checked out the ranking and when he saw his name standing in the last spot, he sighed. It was starting to get frustrating. 
Jongin kept clapping and got closer to him. 
"Are you distracted lately?"
He kept talking.
"Are you thinking too much about women? It can be very distracting, I know." 
Baekhyun didn't seem to enjoy Jongin's tease. He stared at him, without moving a muscle.
"Aren't you being a little too arrogant right now? You succeeded once and you think you're all that?" Baekhyun spat, angry. 
Jongin looked at him with a smirk stamped on his face.
"When you're insulting me, you're talking about yourself. That's what worthless people do." Baekhyun said. 
He stared into Jongin's eyes, with a serious expression on. He was visibly pissed off, while Jongin looked like he was having the time of his life. In the crowd, he was the only one who was having fun because of the situation.
In the middle of the chaos, Sakura got closer to Miyeon and linked arms with her in a subtle way, without making anyone notice.
Miyeon got startled but when she recognized Sakura's face her heart felt incredibly calm, at ease. Both Baekhyun and Jongin were too busy fighting each other to notice. 
"Come with me." She said in Japanese. 
To Miyeon, the Japanese girl's voice sounded like a dream. It was too good to be true. Finally somebody wanted to bring her out of that stupid fight. Baekhyun and Jongin couldn't talk in a calm way without getting at each other's necks, which made Miyeon extremely furious. 
If there was something that really scared her, it was fights. She hated seeing people get hurt and she was always an extremely careful friend. It made her heart shred to pieces to see them fight.
Baekhyun moved his gaze fast and noticed that Miyeon was leaving. He didn't flinch, he didn't try to follow her. He recognized that probably she needed to find peace and a calm environment. And Baekhyun couldn't blame her. He needed it too.
She let Sakura guide her, blending in, between the schools students. It was slow, but she knew how to hide herself well. Miyeon mentally noticed her blending in skill and she saw Sakura as her knight in shining armor.
In less than five minutes, both girls were hanging out in the bathroom and Miyeon could finally take a break and breathe.
Sakura was fixing her makeup in the mirror as Miyeon was breathing heavily and trying to calm herself down.
"Don't worry about them. It has always been like this." The Japanese girl said.
Miyeon stared at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter