07.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

Jisoo sat in her van with Soojoo sitting beside her. The raven was exhausted from the day's events. She rubbed her eyes and leaned back in her seat.

Soojoo looks over towards her friend in sympathy as she notices the bags under her eyes.

Soojoo: You've worked hard today Sooya. 

Jisoo heaves out a sigh and rubs her neck to ease off the stiffness.

Jisoo: What's next on my schedule? 

Soojoo smiles as she sets down her clipboard.

Soojoo: You're schedule is all cleared up. The script reading was your last thing for today. You can go home and rest.

Jisoo relaxes her shoulders as she stretches out her arms and released a satisfied moan. 

Jisoo: You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. 

Soojoo chuckles as she too leans back in her seat.

Soojoo: You should sleep for a bit Jisoo. I'll wake you up once we arrive at your place.

Jisoo gives Soojoo a grateful smile before shutting her tired eyes.

Jisoo: Thanks Soojoo. 

As the raven was about to doze off, her ringtone suddenly starts ringing, disrupting the silence was of the van. 

Soojoo looks at the caller ID and glances at Jisoo, not knowing if whether she should tell her friend who it was.

Jisoo: Who is it?

Soojoo decides to turn off the ringer, as she flips the phone over on the car seat.

Soojoo: It's an unknown number. Don't worry about it; just go back to sleep.

Hearing the waver in Soojoo's voice, Jisoo lazily lifts one of her eyes open, as she gazes suspiciously at her friend.

Jisoo eyes her phone as it continues to ring, before looking back up towards Soojoo who was trying to avoid looking into her eyes. 

The raven reaches for her phone and glances at the screen, before looking at Soojoo with a betrayed expression.

Fully awake now, she sits up in her seat and clears before answering the call.

Jisoo: Hello?

Jennie: Hey Chu~ Are you free right now?

Jisoo tilts her head to the side, a smile playing on her lips. Soojoo gives her friend a side glance before rolling her eyes in annoyance. 

Jisoo: It depends. Why?

Jennie was silent for a bit before answering Jisoo's question.

Jennie: I just need a friend right now.

Jisoo immediately sits up straighter in her seat, her tiredness already forgotten.

Jisoo: Where are you right now?

Jennie: Same place.

Jisoo smiles.

Jisoo: Just wait for me okay? I'll be there in a bit. 

The raven hangs up the call before leaning up towards the driver's seat.

Jisoo: Oppa, can you drop me off at Pyeongchang-dong instead?

Her driver nods as he begins to change their route. Jisoo smiles and leans back in her seat. As she was looking through her phone, the Hallyu star sensed the glare coming from the direction of her friend. 

Jisoo: You can stop glaring at me. I can see you. 

Soojoo turns her body to face Jisoo, ready to reprimand the younger girl.

Soojoo: You've had a long day and I can see how tired you are. You should go home and rest Jisoo. 

Jisoo: Who said I was tired? I'm not tired at all.

Soojoo releases a scoff as she glares at her best friend.

Soojoo: It's rare for you to even get any rest these days. Your bags are deep enough to bury a body in. Go home and rest Sooya, whatever meeting you have with Jennie can't be that important. 

Jisoo chuckles lightly as she turns and gives Soojoo a thumbs up.

Jisoo: I'm okay Jooya. I know my limits. 

Soojoo release a scoff as she crosses her arms in annoyance.

Soojoo: You're hopeless. 

Jisoo only smiles and looks out towards the night sky through her window.

Jisoo: I know. But what can I do? I love her.

 

•••

 

With a bottle of wine and two wine glasses in her hand, Jisoo snuck through the back of the Kim residence. 

The raven made her way across the garden until she was at the foot of the familiar treehouse. 

Sneaking into Jennie's home had always been something Jisoo would do when they were kids. 

Whenever she would get in trouble with her parents, the raven would seek out the younger girl for comfort. But because she didn't want to bother the latter's parents, Jennie decided to ask her father to build a treehouse in the garden so that Jisoo could stay in. 

As kids, it was like a little safe place for Jisoo, Jennie, and Lisa to hang out together. But as they grew older, it became more of like a place for Jisoo and Jennie to meet up and talk about the latter's feelings for Lisa.

When their Thai friend had left to study in Australia, their meetings had become less frequent until they hardly met there at all. 

Being back here had definitely brought a feeling of nostalgia to Jisoo. She smiles sadly as she remembers the days where she would comfort a crying Jennie after Lisa's departure. 

Glancing up, she sees the flickering light of the lantern, indicating that Jennie was inside. 

The raven begins to climb up the steps and gently knocks on the door in a series of patterns.

A few moments after, she was greeted by Jennie's smiling face as the brunette opens the door to let her inside.

Jennie: You remembered the password.

Jisoo chuckles lightly as she takes a seat on one of the chairs.

Jisoo: How could I not? You had drilled it into my brain remember? 

Jennie smiles softly as her mind takes her back into the past.

 

•••

 

The twelve year old Jennie sat cross legged in front of twelve year Jisoo as the younger Kim beamed at the older with a proud grin. 

Jennie: Now you can come and sleep here without my parents knowing Jichu. Aren't I smart?

Jisoo looks around the treehouse in amazement as she nods enthusiastically at Jennie.

Jisoo: You really outdid yourself this time Jendeukie.

Lifting a thumbs up towards the younger girl, Jisoo returns her a smile of her own.

Jisoo: Jendeukie is the best.

Jennie: I am aren't I? Now you can always come here whenever you want to stay the night. And then we can invite Lisa too! The three of us can have a sleepover here!

Jisoo nods with enthusiasm as she finds herself still struck with wonder that Jennie had done this all for her. 

Jennie: But you know...

Jisoo looks at the brunette intently admiring the way her skin seemed to glow against the light of the lantern. 

Jisoo: What is it?

Jennie: What if someone tries to sneak in while I'm here alone? Like a big scary monster. What if they take me and nobody will know?

Jisoo releases a light chuckle as she gently flicks the younger girl's forehead.

Jisoo: Don't worry Jendeuk, your house is already well protected by your father's security team. No one will be able to sneak in. 

Jennie fidgets with her hands nervously, still not feeling assured by Jisoo's words.

Jennie: I know, but what if they do? How will I know?

The brunette pauses for a moment before an idea comes to her mind within an instant.

Jennie: I know! What if we had a secret password. One that nobody knows. So whenever you knock on the door, I will know that it's you.

Jisoo laughs softly, and shakes her head. 

Jisoo: No, I don't want to do that. 

Jennie pouts as she places her hands on her hips.

Jennie: Yah Kim Jisoo, do you not care about me?

Jisoo blinks in bewilderment as she stares at Jennie with a glint of amusement in her brown eyes.

Jisoo: Of course I do. But that is silly. Even if have a password, if a bad person were to sneak in they would still be able to break the door. 

Jennie pouts again as her features scrunch into a thinking face.

Jennie: Well then it will give me a head start. I will be able to sneak out before they can break the door.

Jisoo laughs again and shakes her head. 

Jisoo: No. My answer is still no. It's still silly. You have nothing to be afraid of Jendeuk.

Jennie huffs in annoyance as she cutely stomps her foot onto the floorboard. 

Jennie: Yah Kim Jisoo, if you want to ever talk to me again then you will make a password with me!

Not wanting to face the younger girl's wrath, Jisoo eventually gives in and had created a secret password with her. 

 

•••

 

Jisoo looks at Jennie with a teasing smile on her face.

Jisoo: Has any scary monsters paid Jendeukie a visit lately?

Jennie groans as she chucks a pillow towards Jisoo's direction. The raven of course was able to to dodge it, but was reduced into a fit of laughter.

Jennie: Yah, I was only twelve at the the time.

Jisoo smiles as she leans back in her chair.

Jisoo: It feels so weird to be back here. 

Jennie looks around and smiles contently. 

Jennie: It feels good to finally be back here. We had so many memories at this place, the three of us.

Jisoo chuckles and nods in agreement. 

Jisoo: We sure did. 

Jennie smiles in return before her eyes drifted to the wine bottle beside Jisoo. The brunette's chocolate brown orbs twinkled with delight.

Jennie: Did you bring that?

Jisoo nods as she picks up the bottle and gives it a light shake.

Jisoo: Your favorite. 

Jennie smiles as she leans over and grabs the bottle from the raven's hand.

Jennie: La Romanée Conti. I didn't know you also like this wine.

The younger takes a glance towards the older in which the raven returns her a crooked smirk.

Jisoo: I have a lot of wine that I like. 

Jennie smiles and leans back in her seat, as she gazes at Jisoo with scrutiny.

Jennie: Then you must also have a lot people that you like.

Jisoo only smiles and decides to remain silent. She takes the wine bottle back from Jennie and begins to pour the wine into the two glasses. 

She hands a glass to Jennie in which the younger accepts with a grateful smile. 

Jennie swishes the wine around the glass a few times before taking a sip. She smiles in content at the taste and looks towards Jisoo.

Jennie: Why don't you ask me why I called you out here?

Jisoo smiles softly and shrugs her shoulders.

Jisoo: You said you needed a friend. I won't force you to tell me if you don't want to. 

Jennie smiles sadly before shifting her eyes back to the glass of wine.

Jennie: Lisa suddenly brought up our engagement over dinner today. She already told her parents and had everything practically planned out. As if she hasn't been gone for the past five years.

Jisoo smiles knowingly as she chugs down her wine. 

Jisoo: So there's something Jennie Kim is afraid of.

Jennie up her eyebrow and smiles towards the older girl. 

Jennie: And what is it that I'm afraid of?

Jisoo looks down before refilling her glass with wine.

Jisoo: You're afraid of your path being blocked. And you won't have another chance.

Jennie smiles sadly before drowning down the rest of her wine.

Jennie: I never once wavered on the path that I walked. Because however way that I walk it, it will always lead to her. 

The brunette pauses and releases a sigh before continuing.

Jennie: I just... I wish that this route would be a bit more beautiful.

Jisoo looks down as she tries to hide her crestfallen expression from Jennie. She drains her entire glass of wine before setting it down. 

Standing up from her seat, she walks over to Jennie and lifts up her left wrist.

Jisoo: Compared to the bracelet, a big watch is what you want. 

Jennie smiles as her other hand touches the watch resting on her wrist. The brunette glances up towards Jisoo and gives her a small smile.

Jennie: It's still you who understands me best.

Jisoo smiles in return and releases her hold on the younger girl's arm. Jennie releases a soft sigh as she runs her hand tenderly around her watch. 

The brunette slid the watch down a bit, revealing a long jagged scar running across her wrist. 

Jennie: Because of this scar, I never dared to wear any bracelets. All my life, I could only wear big watches to cover it. 

Jennie smiles sadly as she continues to gaze at the scar.

Jennie: But Lisa never realized it. 

The two girls fell quiet and were engulfed with a comfortable silence, when Jennie suddenly catches something from the corner of her eye.

The brunette rushes towards the outside of the treehouse and glances towards the star filled sky. 

With eyes full of wonder, she points up towards a streak across the sky and smiles brightly.

Jennie: Look Jisoo! It's a shooting star! It's my first time seeing one! It's so beautiful!

The younger girl climbs down from the tree and dashes across the garden to get a better look. Jisoo smiles after Jennie's figure, as she watches her best friend smiling brightly under the dazzling night sky.

Lifting her hands up, the raven cups them around and begins to shout.

Jisoo: Jennie Kim!

Jennie turns towards Jisoo's direction, her eyes twinkling with happiness. 

Jennie: What?!

Jisoo smiles at the younger girl before replying.

Jisoo: Do you know what the farthest thing in the universe is?!

Jennie releases a giggle and shakes her head.

Jennie: What is it?!

Jisoo: The farthest thing in this universe isn't life and death, nor heaven and earth! It's that I'm standing right in front of you, and you don't even know that I love you!

Jennie's arms fall to her side as she looks at Jisoo's face. Thinking that the raven was just making a joke to cheer her up, the brunette bursts into a fit of laughter.

Jennie: Yah?! Isn't that a little too old school?!

Jisoo looks down towards the ground as her lips curve into a heartbroken smile. She quickly masks her pained expression with a playful grin before looking back up.

Jisoo: Yah, usually girls and guys alike would fall for me right way with just one line! You have no taste at all!

Jennie only sticks her tongue out towards Jisoo in a playful manner, before glancing back up towards the sky. 

Jennie: Shooting star, please grant my wish!

The brunette clasps her hands together and closes her eyes. Jisoo tilts her head, a smile tugging on her lips as she looks at the happy expression on her best friend's face.

Copying the latter's action, Jisoo makes a wish of her own.

'I wish for Jennie to always be happy.'