13.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

Jennie was in a hurry that morning. After receiving the watch from Lisa yesterday, the two of them had decided to head out for dinner later before coming back to Lisa's house. 

 

Due to all the excitement of the wedding plans discussed with the Thai's parents yesterday, Jennie had completely forgotten about the scheduled meeting she had today with one of the new models for the company's new campaign.

 

The brunette was preoccupied with her thoughts that she wasn't paying attention to where she was going. 

 

Before she knew it, she had ran head first into someone's back, falling backwards onto her bum. 

 

"Woah, are you okay there?"

 

Massaging her forehead, Jennie glances up towards the person who had extended their hand out to help her up. 

 

Her eyes widen in shock upon seeing the familiar face, not being able to believe who she had just ran into. 

 

Kim Jongin, or better known by his stage name, Kai, beamed down at Jennie as he soon recognizes her face.

 

Kai: Are you just gonna keep staring at me all day Jennie?

 

Snapping out of shocked state, Jennie's face flushed a light pink before she gladly accepts Kai's outstretched arm. 

 

Jennie: Thank you. 

 

Kai gives her a warm smile as he bent down to pick up her things before handing them to her. 

 

Kai: It's been a while. I'm surprised to see you here. 

 

Jennie returns his smile as she takes back her stuff in gratitude. 

 

Jennie: I'm surprised myself to see you here Sunbae. As to why I'm here, well, I'm kinda one of the directors.

 

Kai: Wow, look at you growing up to be so successful. Who knew the awkward high school girl could grow up to be such a big shot director of a company. And still beautiful too I might add.

 

Kai gives her wink, causing Jennie release an embarrassed laugh. 

 

Jennie: You're praising me too much Sunbae. Between the two of us, you're the one who's a famous model. 

 

Kai chuckles at the younger's comment.

 

Kai: You haven't changed at all Jennie. 

 

Jennie laughs at his remark and nods along in agreement.

 

Jennie: I guess you're right. I've always been comfortable where I am, so there's really not much that I'd want to change. 

 

Kai tucks his hands inside his pockets with a smile before nudging towards Jennie's binder.

 

Kai: So, where were you headed? You seemed to be in a hurry.

 

Jennie's eyes widen as she suddenly recalls that she was late for her meeting. She silently curse to herself before giving Kai an apologetic look.

 

Jennie: I was actually on the way to meet with the new model for our company's latest campaign, and I'm running late. I'm sorry Sunbae, but I have to go.

 

Realization dawns on Kai's face as he releases an amused laugh. He pulls Jennie back before she could rush off and points a finger towards himself.

 

Kai: There's no need to hurry because you've already met the model Jennie. It's me.

 

Jennie gapes at him in shock as she tries to gather her thoughts. She points a questioning finger towards Kai who still had an amused smile on his face.

 

Jennie: You're the model?

 

Kai's smile turns into a smirk as he gives Jennie an affirmed nod.

 

Kai: Why don't we head over to the meeting together?

 

Still trying to get over her shock, Jennie could only nod before starting to walk towards the meeting room, Kai trailing behind her. 

 

Kai chuckles as he takes a few long strides to catch up to Jennie.

 

Kai: Are you that shocked?

 

Jennie turns to the model beside her before giving him a small smile.

 

Jennie: I just didn't expect you to be the model is all. What a small world.

 

Kai chuckles again as he nodded along.

 

Kai: You're right. I mean, the last time I saw you was when you had rejected to be my girlfriend on graduation day. 

 

Jennie shoots him an apologetic look and opens to reply when she was cut off by the older boy. 

 

Kai: It's okay Jennie-ah. No hard feelings. 

 

Jennie smiles.

 

Kai: But... if you don't mind, maybe we can catch up sometime.

 

Jennie purses her lips as she ponders on Kai's question. She didn't want to give him the wrong idea by agreeing, but she also didn't want to hurt his ego either. 

 

Kai smiles before releasing a light chuckle.

 

Kai: It's only a friendly hangout. I promise. I'm assuming you're still dating Lisa?

 

Jennie nodded.

 

Kai: Look you don't have to accept. I just wanted to catch up. If you don't want to then it's fine. 

 

Jennie gives him a small smile and a nod of gratitude.

 

Jennie: Thanks for understanding Sunbae. I'm just a little busy these days.

 

Kai returns her smile and brushes off her apology.

 

Kai: It's all good. Maybe we'll have the chance once this project is over.

 

Jennie smiles and nods in agreement. Her attention then shifts to the door of the meeting room seeing that they have arrived.

 

Jennie: We're here Sunbae. 

 

Kai smiles towards the brunette before opening the door and gestures for her to walk in first.

 

Kai: After you. 

 

Jennie smiles in gratitude before stepping inside the room. 

 

•••

 

Jisoo frowns as she stares at the dark screen of her phone. It's been a whole day since she had gifted Jennie her watch, yet the latter hasn't called her. 

 

Was there maybe something wrong with the watch? She thought. Or maybe Jennie didn't like it?

 

The raven continues to stare at the blank screen, waiting for a call or even a text message from Jennie. She was snapped out of her thoughts when a voice called out her name.

 

Jisoo turns to the direction of the said voice, and her frown changes into a smile at the sight of her co-star.

 

Jisoo: Sehun-ah! Nyeong-an.

 

She waves to him and gestures for him to hurry over.

 

Sehun smiles brightly as he breaks into a slow jog before coming to a stop in front of Jisoo. 

 

Sehun: Annyeong Jisoo-shi.

 

Jisoo chuckles as she playfully pushes the rookie actor.

 

Jisoo: Come on, it's been a whole month since we've been filming together, you can drop the honorifics. Besides, you're also a year older than me, so it feels weird to hear you being so formal.

 

Sehun smiles shyly as a light blush forms on his cheeks. He rubs his nape and glances at Jisoo unsurely.

 

Sehun: J-jisoo-yah.

 

Jisoo beams brightly at Sehun and gives him a pat on the shoulder.

 

Jisoo: See? Isn't it more comfortable to speak like this?

 

Sehun chuckles again, feeling a bit more at ease around Jisoo.

 

Sehun: So, are you ready for filming today?

 

Jisoo opens to reply, but then held herself back, deciding to tease Sehun a bit. 

 

Jisoo: By ready, do you mean ready for the kiss scene? 

 

Seeing the flustered look on Sehun's face, Jisoo inwardly laughs to herself.

 

Jisoo: If it's the kiss scene you're talking about, then I'm totally ready. I've been practicing all night last night.

 

Sehun nearly chokes on his saliva at Jisoo's comment, as the heat rises in his cheeks. Looking at the older's face, Jisoo couldn't contain herself any longer and broke into a fit of giggles. 

 

Jisoo: Wah, you're really easy to tease Sehun-ah. It's kinda cute the way that your face turns bright red. 

 

Sehun laughs softly as he shifts in his spot, feeling embarrassed for being so gullible. 

 

Sehun: I never expected you to be such a playful person Jisoo. 

 

Jisoo shoots him a wink before smirking confidently.

 

Jisoo: It's one of my many charms.

 

Sehun chuckles softly as he nods in agreement.

 

Sehun: I quite enjoy this playful side of yours. It's surely made me an even bigger fan now. 

 

Recognition flickers across Jisoo's expression at Sehun's comment, causing her to recall their conversation from their first encounter.

 

Jisoo: Ah that's right. You're a fan of mine. 

 

Sehun only smiles shyly which causes Jisoo to smile as well.

 

Jisoo: This is quite amusing. I mean it's not everyday that my co-star is a fan of mine.

 

Sehun's eyes widen as his jaw drops in bewilderment.

 

Sehun: What are you talking about? I'm sure there are plenty of actors that you've worked with that are a fan of yours. It pretty obvious if you watch the interviews and press cons.

 

Jisoo scratches her head unsurely, a pout forming on her lips, causing a small smile to form on Sehun's lips.

 

Jisoo: Huh, I guess I never noticed. But then again, even if they were a fan, they've never been brave enough to tell me about it. 

 

Jisoo smiles, leaning a bit closer towards Sehun's face while pointing a finger at him.

 

Jisoo: You're the first one to confess to me Sehun-ah. It's quite impressive, and might I say, a little charming.

 

Sehun clears his throat once more as he felt his heart rate speed up by hearing Jisoo's compliment. He then smiles at her and runs a hand through his hair.

 

Sehun: It's nothing really. I'm just a person who likes to speak my mind. 

 

Jisoo smiles and nodded along.

 

Jisoo: Hmm, an honest guy. Just the type of person that I like. 

 

Sehun returns her smile, trying his best to play it cool despite how fast his heart was beating due to the raven's words.  

 

He tries to calm down his rapid beating heart before pointing a questioning finger towards Jisoo's hand.

 

Sehun: You seemed a little troubled earlier. Is something wrong?

 

Jisoo glances down at her phone and waves her hand to brush off Sehun's question.

 

Jisoo: It's nothing. I'm just waiting for a call.

 

Taking the hint that the raven didn't want to talk about it, Sehun hurried to change the topic.

 

Sehun: Oh yeah, did you hear? We're gonna be meeting the main designer for our film soon.

 

Jisoo tilts her head to the side, finding herself confused by Sehun's words.

 

Jisoo: Didn't we already meet her on the first day of filming? 

 

Sehun shook his head.

 

Sehun: That's what I thought too, but turns out that the designer we had met that day is only an apprentice. There's a rumor that the main designer is supposed to be someone with a big name in the fashion industry. 

 

Jisoo purses her lips as she thought about what Sehun had just said.

 

Jisoo: Hmmm, I wonder who it could be.

 

Sehun was staring at Jisoo, eyes sparkling with adoration. The raven was thinking deeply, her eyebrows were slightly furrowed as her lips were formed into a little pout. Unknowingly, he had found his own lips curve into a smile of their own.

 

Jisoo: If you keep looking at me like this, I might actually fall for you Sehun-ah.

 

Sehun snaps out of his stupor and felt his cheeks heat up out of embarrassment. Despite knowing that Jisoo was joking he couldn't help but feel his heart flutter by her words.

 

Sehun: I'm sorry. Did I make you feel uncomfortable?

 

Jisoo chuckles and shakes her head.

 

Jisoo: Not at all. I find it rather cute.

 

The heat in Sehun's cheeks rises as he glances towards his feet and smiles shyly, looking like a school boy who had just confessed to his crush. 

 

Jisoo chuckles before waving a teasing finger towards the actor's direction.

 

Jisoo: I have to warn you though Sehun-ah. Try not to fall in love with me.

 

The raven pauses as her expression changes into a a more serious one.

 

Jisoo: I won't be able to reciprocate your feelings if you do. 

 

Sehun glances up at Jisoo as he felt his heart grow heavy by the latter's words. Here he was, not even having built up the courage to confess yet, and Jisoo had already shot him down.

 

Not wanting the atmosphere to get awkward between them, he forces a smile and tries to brush it off with a joke.

 

Sehun: I'll try my best not to.

 

Jisoo returns his smile, although it had appeared a little forced. The raven didn't want to be so blunt and hurt his feelings, but she needed to let him know before things could escalate between them. 

 

Sehun however didn't want to let it go just yet. Despite his previous effort to ease the awkwardness, he had decided to build up the courage and be forward with Jisoo. He just had to take a chance, even if the circumstances may seem bleak. 

 

Sehun: Can I ask why? 

 

The actor held his breath as he waited for Jisoo's response, who seems to have been caught off guard by his question. 

 

She was silent for a while, causing Sehun to think that she wasn't gonna answer his question. However,  her lips finally formed into a defeated smile as she drops her head towards the ground.

 

Jisoo: I'm already in love with someone. 

 

Sehun grew flustered as he found himself slightly misunderstanding the raven's words.

 

Sehun: Oh I'm so sorry. I-I didn't know that you were dating someone.

 

Jisoo: I'm not.

 

Sehun was silent as he stares at Jisoo in confusion, waiting for her to elaborate on her response. The raven releases a soft sigh before shifting her eyes up to meet Sehun's.

 

Jisoo: I am in love with someone. But... she doesn't feel the same way about me. 

 

Sehun's jaw drops slightly as he found himself unable to believe in the younger's words. He found it impossible that someone didn't fall in love with a person like Jisoo, when he himself had fallen deeply for the raven's charms within the span of a month. 

 

Jisoo smiles softly as she looks at the expression on Sehun's face, mistaking it for something else.

 

Jisoo: I know it's foolish, to love someone who doesn't love you back. But my heart is too stubborn. It won't let me move on. I wish it were simple... but, you can't choose who you love. 

 

Sehun quickly recollected his thoughts after listening to Jisoo's sudden confession. He knew all too well the feeling that the raven was feeling because that was how he felt about her. 

 

So with all of his sincerity, Sehun looks directly into Jisoo's eyes before speaking to her with his most earnest feelings.

 

Sehun: You're right. You don't. Your heart may be stubborn, but you also get to choose whether or not to open your heart to love. If you allow yourself, to look elsewhere, maybe one day, you'll find someone who'll love you the same way that you love them. I'm not saying it will be easy, but love is complicated. You just gotta give it some time. 

 

Jisoo held onto Sehun's gaze as his words echoed within her mind. Open her heart to love?

 

She was left speechless by Sehun's sincerity for this was a new side of him that she had never seen, a side that she didn't know he was capable of. And standing  there in that moment, staring into his eyes, she felt her heart flutter a little.