09.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

It was 1 am when Jennie had received the call that had woken her up from her sleep. With an annoyed grunt, the brunette had slipped out of her bed and threw on a random parka before heading out.

Now here she was standing inside a club with two of her idiotic friends who were completely wasted. 

Jisoo: Jendeukie is here! 

Lisa: What's a Jendeukie? Is that an animal?

Jennie rolled her eyes as she glances at the manager in embarrassment.

Jennie: They didn't cause any trouble did they?

The manager shook his head and releases a light chuckle.

Manager: No trouble at all. We were just about to close and they seem to be too drunk to get home by themselves. 

The elder man smiles awkwardly as he scratched his head.

Manager: Usually I would just call for Miss Jisoo's manager to come and pick her up. But for some reason today, she wanted me to call for someone named Jendeukie. I scrolled through her contacts and I dialed for your number. I hope it wasn't too much of a bother for you to come here.

Jennie takes a glance at the two drunk girls who were mumbling incoherently amongst themselves. 

She releases a sigh before shooting and apologizing look towards the manager.

Jennie: It wasn't a bother at all. Thank you for taking care of these two until I got here.

The manager smiles at Jennie and shook his head.

Manager: You don't have to thank me Miss. But I do need to get back to cleaning everything up. Are you okay with handling both of them on your own?

Jennie nods and gives the elder man a grateful smile.

Jennie: You don't have to worry about me. Please carry on with your work.

The manager exchanges a goodbye with Jennie before walking away. The brunette shifts her attention back towards her best friends and huffs out an annoyed breath.

Jennie: Isn't it enough for just one of you to get drunk?

Jisoo gazes up at Jennie and gives her a drunken smile. The raven suddenly squints her eyes together as she raises a finger up and points it at the younger girl. 

Jisoo: Why are there 2 Jendeukies? Did you have a twin I didn't know about? 

Turning towards the Thai besides her, Jisoo nudges her friend. 

Jisoo: Yah, did you know that Jendeukie has a twin?

Lisa lightly walks Jisoo's head as scrunches her eyebrows together.

Lisa: Yah, are you blind? There's clearly three of them.

Jisoo squints her eyes together as she tries to focus on Jennie, but then found herself get dizzy instead.

Jisoo: Why is the room spinning so much?

Lisa stands up from her seat and swayed towards Jennie.

Lisa: Why are you outside in the middle of the night Nini? Come on... let me take you home.

Jennie rolled her eyes as she wrapped the Thai's arm around her shoulder for support.

Jennie: You can barely stand on your own. 

Turning towards Jisoo, the brunette frowns. 

Jennie: How the hell am I supposed to carry these two by myself?

Jisoo gives the latter a half-hearted smile as she waved her off.

Jisoo: I'll be fine Jendeukie. Take Lisa home.

Jennie heaves out a sigh as she struggles with Lisa's body weight against her own.

Jennie: I can't just leave you here idiot. Who's gonna take you home?

The raven smiles smugly, before pointing towards herself.

Jisoo: Me. 

Unsteadily, she stands up from her seat before collapsing onto the ground.

Jisoo: I got up way to fast.

Jennie clucked her tongue before shooting Jisoo a worried expression.

Jennie: Yah, are you okay? 

Jisoo waves the younger girl off as she struggles to lift herself up by grabbing onto a nearby chair.

Jisoo: I'm fine.

Jennie looks over at Lisa who seemed to have fallen unconscious as her whole body weight was now slumped onto Jennie's.

Jennie grumbles a few incoherent words before readjusting her hold on the Thai. She turns back towards Jisoo who was still struggling to lift herself up.

Jennie: Yah, wait here okay? I'm gonna take Lisa out first and then I'll come back for you.

The raven smiles and gives Jennie a salute.

Jisoo: Aye, aye captain.

Jennie rolled her eyes at Jisoo's gesture before guiding Lisa out towards the taxi.

A few minutes later, the brunette hurriedly made her way back into the restaurant where she had left Jisoo. The raven was now seated on the chair with her figure slumped against the counter.

Shaking her head, Jennie walks over towards the older girl and nudges her shoulder.

Jennie: Come on Jichu, let's get you home.

The raven opens her eyes and was slightly startled to see Jennie's face.

Jisoo: You really did come back for me Jendeuk.

Jennie chuckles at Jisoo's comment as she runs a hand through her hair.

Jennie: Yah, of course I would dummy. I can't just leave you behind. Especially when you're here in a drunken mess.

Jisoo: You did before though.

Jennie's eyebrows furrow at Jisoo's reply as she her head to the side. 

Jennie: I did? When?

Jisoo lifts herself up from the counter before resting her head onto her arm.

Jisoo: Back then... You'd always choose Lisa over me and... you would end up leaving me behind...

Jennie stares at the older girl in bewilderment as she processes her words. She was confused, and she wasn't sure if whether Jisoo was just saying this because she was drunk, or if the raven had actually meant it.

Jennie: Jisoo...

The raven suddenly rises from her seat before Jennie could answer. Swaying slightly, she tries to steady herself before she gazed intently into the eyes that belonged to the beautiful brunette before her. 

Jisoo: Why can't you love me the same way that you love her? 

Jisoo raises a hand to her chest and clenches onto the fabric of her coat.

Jisoo: My heart hurts. Every time you talk about her... my heart... feels like it's being smashed into a million pieces.

Jisoo stumbles a bit as tears streamed uncontrollably down her face. 

Jisoo: Do your know how hard it's been? For years, I had to watch my two best friends be together... you two were happy in your own little world... while I was always left behind with my broken heart.

Jennie's eyes soften as each word was uttered out of the raven's mouth. Throughout their years of friendship, she had never realized how deep Jisoo's feelings ran for her. Sure she had suspected that there was a time where Jisoo had a thing for her, but she had brushed it off and passed it as due to the raven's flirty nature. 

Now here they stood, with Jisoo bearing her heart out to the brunette in her drunken stupor. Jennie finally realized how wrong had been.

Jisoo: Why...

Before the raven could finish, she had slumped unconscious against Jennie's shoulder. A tear slips from Jennie's eyes as she tries to steady herself against Jisoo's sudden added weight.

She looks down at the raven's face before gently running her hand over Jisoo's rosy cheeks. 

Jennie: I'm sorry Jisoo. All this time... you've been hurting because of me. I'm sorry for causing you so much pain.

 

•••

 

Jisoo woke up that morning with a pounding headache. 

Her memories of the previous night had been completely wiped clean. Why did her head hurt so much?

She releases a groan as she slowly opened her eyes. The sunlight shining through the room was blinding, and she had to squint her eyes for the first few seconds. 

After her eyes have adjusted, she realized that she was in Jennie's room. 

Turning towards her side, she releases a startled yelp  as she came face to face with Lisa's sleeping face.

She quickly rolled the other direction and had ended up falling off the bed. The raven groaned painfully before lifting herself up. 

She searches around the room for Jennie, but the brunette was nowhere to be found. 

Quietly, Jisoo exits the room and went to search for Jennie. The hallyu star sighs with relief, when she finds the younger girl asleep on the couch in the living room.

She quietly makes her way over towards the couch and grabbed a coat to cover Jennie's body. 

She smiles at the sight of the sleeping brunette before the dull throbbing inside her head had returned. 

Jisoo: How much did I drink last night?

The raven takes a glance at the clock and realized that it was already late afternoon. Thankfully she didn't have any set schedules for today, except for some script reading at Soojoo's to practice her lines. 

Nonetheless, she knew that her friend would be mad if she were to arrive late again.

Releasing a sigh, she spares Jennie one last glance before making her way out of the house.

 

•••

 

Jennie took a sip from her coffee as she fidgeted awkwardly in her seat across from Lisa. 

The couple haven't spoken a word to each other ever since they had woken up that afternoon. Despite wanting to make amends with the older girl, Lisa just didn't know where to start.

On the other hand Jennie was still conflicted due to the short conversation she had with Jisoo last night, in which the raven had blurted out her feelings to Jennie in her drunken state. 

The brunette had planned to confront the older girl this morning but was shocked to find out that she had already left. 

However Jennie knew that before she could worry about her issue with Lisa, she needed to confirm Jisoo's feelings for her first.

The raven's words had definitely added a weight of guilt onto Jennie's shoulders.

Suddenly everything made sense to her. All of those times Jisoo had been there for her, all the times that she had confessed to her, however Jennie was just to blind to realize it.

The brunette lifts her head and gazed at Lisa with loving eyes. Her hand unknowingly reaches for her left wrist as she feels the jagged scar that lay hidden behind her watch. 

She didn't know what to do. Lisa was the person she loves. The Thai was the person who had been there for Jennie when she needed her most. 

She was Jennie's knight in shining armor. No matter how much guilt and regret she felt towards Jisoo, she knew that she couldn't reciprocate the older girl's feelings.

Her heart belongs to Lisa. 

No matter what she had said before, she will always love Lisa. 

Lisa: I'm sorry.

Jennie snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of Lisa's voice. She was so lost in her her thoughts that she almost didn't hear what the younger girl had said.

Jennie: For what?

Lisa: For not understanding your heart. I'm sorry for not being mindful of your feelings. 

The thai reaches for Jennie's hand and pulls it towards her. She wrapped her hand protectively around Jennie's before lacing their fingers together.

Lisa: I should've been more understanding towards you. I shouldn't have just expected for you to marry me when I've made you wait all these years. You deserve more than that.

Jennie's eyes soften as she listens to Lisa's words. These were the words that she had been wanting to hear.

Jennie: I love you Lisa. There is no doubt in my heart when I say that I'm completely in love with you. You know that right?

Lisa smiles as tears filled her eyes.

Lisa: I do. And I love you just as much. You've always been the one for me. The only person I could ever imagine my future with. I only want you to be my wife, and the mother of my kids Jennie. There's no one else that I could imagine myself with. 

Tears clouded Jennie's vision as her hand squeezes tightly onto Lisa's. The brunette's lips form into a wide gummy smile at the younger girl's heartfelt confession.

Jennie: I feel the same way Lili. You're the only one for me always. 

 

•••

 

When Jisoo came home that night, she was surprised to be see a familiar brunette waiting by the front gate.

Jennie however wore a different expression compared to how Jisoo usually sees her. 

The younger girl somehow seemed a little distant and awkward around Jisoo, causing her to feel a bit guarded as well.

The two friends were now taking a stroll along the neighborhood, something they haven't done in a while.

Neither girl has spoken a word, and have been walking in silence ever since they had uttered a quick greeting back at the mansion.

Jisoo's mind was in conflict as she was trying to remember the events that had happened the night before. 

Had she said something to cause Jennie to feel this way? 

Why couldn't she remember anything?

The raven sneaks a glance at the brunette who was fidgeting nervously with her fingers. Not being able to take the silence any longer, Jisoo finally speaks.

Jisoo: Why did you come here? You should've waited inside. My parents would've been happy to see you. 

Jennie suddenly stops in tracks and turns to face Jisoo.

The older girl follows suit and looks at Jennie with questioning eyes.

Jisoo: Is something wrong? You've been acting differently all night.

Jennie bit her bottom lip as she struggled to find her words. She looks into Jisoo's eyes and couldn't help but feel the guilt surge inside her heart once more. 

Her gaze then falls down to the raven's heart shaped lips that were slightly curved into a a small smile. 

The lips that had always been Jennie's favorite feature on Jisoo's face. Because every time Jisoo smiles, all of Jennie's worries would fade away and it made her feel like everything is fine in the world. 

Jisoo just had that affect on everyone around her. She has a way of making people happy by just being there.

However, looking at the smile on her best friend's now only made Jennie's heart ache with guilt. 

She never knew that behind Jisoo's smile, there was also pain and sorrow. She had been oblivious to it all these years. 

Jisoo's eyebrows suddenly crinkle and her lips form into a frown as she notices the tears building up in Jennie's eyes.

Jisoo: What's wrong Jendeuk? Why are you crying? 

Jennie drops her gaze as she wipes away her tears.

Jennie: How could you... how could you keep all that pain to yourself? 

Jisoo: What?

Jennie: How could you suffer alone all this time? Why? Why didn't you ever tell me?

Jisoo's jaw drops in bewilderment as she tries to make sense of Jennie's words.

Jisoo: What are you talking about Jennie-ah? Tell you what? 

Jennie finally lifts her head. The brunette gazes at Jisoo's confused face with tear filled eyes. 

Jennie: That you're in love with me.