10.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

Jisoo stood frozen in her place as she was struck with shock at Jennie's words.

 

There was a part of her that hoped the younger girl was just playing around, however the tear stains on her face stated otherwise. 

 

Jisoo was left speechless as she struggles to find the right words. What was she supposed to say? She had never intended to let Jennie or Lisa find out about her unrequited feelings. 

 

She had planned to carry her secrets all the way to her grave. But yet right now amidst the windy night streets of Seoul, Jennie confronted Jisoo about the her unrequited love.

 

Jennie: Answer me Jisoo. 

 

Jennie's words were so soft that they were almost carried off by the wind. However Jisoo remains silent as continues to look at the younger girl's face, debating on what she should say. 

 

Finally, after moments of silence, she releases an awkward laugh.

 

Jisoo: Yah, stop messing around. It's not funny. How could I be in love with you? 

 

Jennie shuts her eyes tightly, as she blocks out Jisoo's forced lies.

 

Jennie: Stop it. Stop lying Jisoo. Stop trying to protect me. Stop acting like you're okay when you're really not!

 

Jisoo clenches her jaw as she continues to act oblivious to Jennie's words. 

 

Jisoo: Yah, what's gotten into you? When did I ever say that? You're wrong.

 

Jennie: God damn it Jisoo, just tell me the truth already! I know you're lying! You confessed everything to me last night!

 

Jennie could no longer hold back her emotions as she bursted out in tears. By looking at her best friend's tear stained face, Jisoo knew that she couldn't lie any longer.

 

Unable to contain her emotions, she bursts out into a fit of anger of her own.

 

Jisoo: So what? What difference would it make if I told you? You'd still choose her over me!

 

Jisoo's outburst seemed to have silenced Jennie as the latter was at a loss for words. 

 

Jisoo: Am I wrong? 

 

Jisoo let's out a bitter laugh as she drops her head towards the ground.

 

Jisoo: Just forget I even said anything Jennie-ah. It's the best thing to do for everyone. 

 

Jennie: But it's not for you. 

 

Jisoo smiles sadly as she keeps her face lowered.

 

Jisoo: I've lived like this all these years. I'll manage. 

 

More tears build up in Jennie eyes as she shakes her head in disagreement. 

 

Jennie: I don't want you to be hurt because of me anymore Jisoo. How can you expect me to pretend that everything is fine when I know that you're hurting?

 

Jisoo finally lifts up her head to face Jennie. The raven's eyes were red, but she refused to let her tears fall. 

 

Jisoo: What do you expect me to do then?! I tried to get over you. I tried so ing hard. But every time I'm with someone, I always end up thinking that they're not you...

 

The raven breathed heavily as she recovered from her outburst. Her eyes soften as she looks into Jennie's lost eyes.

 

Jisoo: How can I stop loving you... when loving you comes as naturally to me as breathing?

 

Jennie's lips quivered, as she tries to rack her brain for something to say. But what could she say? There was nothing she could say that could make their situation any better.

 

Jennie: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Jisoo. 

 

The brunette drops to the ground in a mess as she broke down into unrestrained sobs.

 

Jennie: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry...

 

Jisoo release a sigh as she continues to hold her tears at bay.

 

Jisoo: It's not your fault Jennie. You can't control who you fall in love with. 

 

She chuckles a bit as she tries to crack a joke.

 

Jisoo: I mean if you could, then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

 

The raven kneels down next to Jennie as she looks at her hunched figure. 

 

Jisoo: Stop blaming yourself silly girl. I told you. It's not your fault.

 

Jennie glances up towards Jisoo, her sobbing now reduced to soft whimpers.

 

Jenni: Idiot. You're a fool Kim Jisoo.

 

Jisoo manages to crack a smile before hesitantly leaning over to place a kiss on Jennie's forehead. 

 

Jisoo: I know.

 

Jennie: You'll find someone who's worth your love Jisoo. I just know it.

 

Jisoo releases a light chuckle as she gazes admiringly at Jennie's face.

 

Jisoo: It's kinda difficult when you've set the bar so high Jendeuk-ah. 

 

Jennie remains silent after, as if she was contemplating on something. Jisoo too stays in silence as she waits for Jennie to speak. 

 

Jennie: Do you wanna know why I fell in love with Lisa?

 

Although slightly caught off guard by Jennie's question, Jisoo was able to maintain an unreadable  expression.

 

Jisoo: Why?

 

Jennie looks down for brief moment as her hand once again instinctively reaches for her wrist. 

 

Jennie: Do you remember when we were little, and I had fallen into that water barrel because I was trying to get my kite? 

 

Jisoo nods in reply, immediately remembering that fateful day. It was probably the most scariest moment of her life. 

 

Jennie glances down towards her wrist as she ran her fingers over the old scar.

 

Jennie: That day... as I struggled for air against the suffocating water, I really thought that I was gonna die. I was so scared Jisoo, my hope was quickly diminishing as each second passed by. 

 

The brunette cracks a small smile as she thought about the next following events.

 

Jennie: But as I was close to giving up, a hand grabs onto mine. That person never let me go, they held on with me and reassured me that everything was gonna be okay. 

 

Jennie releases a sigh as she buries half her face into her arms for a brief second.

 

Jennie: Suddenly the hand had let go, but just a second later, the barrel that I was trapped in had been broken. I fell towards the ground along with the currents of the water. I remember blacking out for a moment. But when I had regained consciousness, the first face that I had seen was Lisa's. And that's when I realized that she was the one who had saved me, that she was the one who held on to me when I was on the verge of giving up. 

 

Jennie looks back up towards Jisoo who now had fresh tears b in her eyes. 

 

Jennie: Lisa was there in the moment when I needed someone the most. After that day, there was no one else that could ever imagine myself being with besides her. 

 

Jisoo remains silent even after Jennie was finished with her story. The older girl wore an unreadable expression as she was lost in her thoughts. 

 

Thinking that Jisoo wasn't planning to say anything, Jennie roses from her spot as she wipes away the last streaks of her tears. 

 

It was then that Jisoo's voice suddenly rang out.

 

Jisoo: So if I had been the one to save you that day... would you still feel the same way that you do now?

 

The older girl raises her head and glances up at Jennie as she searches the latter's face for an answer. 

 

Jennie on the other hand was slightly taken back by Jisoo's question. However, she manages to recover quickly and shakes her head.

 

Jennie: I don't know Jisoo. Like I said, Lisa saving me was the catalyst for my feelings. But as time passed by, I really did fall in love with her. I can't give you a definite answer because I really don't know.

 

Jisoo drops her head once more before smiling sadly to herself. 

 

She takes a moment to recompose herself before standing up. Giving Jennie a small smile, she nods her head towards the direction they had come from.

 

Jisoo: Come on, it's getting late. I'll take you home. 

 

Jennie doesn't answer and remains glued to her spot as she searches Jisoo's face.

 

Jennie: Are you okay now?

 

Jisoo was about to nod, but had managed to hold herself back. Instead she only gives Jennie a halfhearted smile in reply.

 

Jisoo: Not yet. But I will be. 

 

Jisoo's answer seemed to have satisfied Jennie as she too broke into a smile of her own. The brunette was glad that the older girl had chose to be honest with her this time. 

 

Jennie: Maybe I should come inside for a bit. Greet your parents before I go. 

 

Jisoo smiles a bit wider before nodding her head in agreement. She suddenly takes off running and only turning around when she was a good distance away.

 

Jisoo: Last one to the house is a rotten chicken.

 

Jennie releases a laugh.

 

Jennie: It's rotten egg stupid.

 

Jisoo shrugs before turning back around.

 

Jisoo: It doesn't matter if it's a rotten chicken or a rotten egg. You're gonna be both if you don't beat me back to the house Jendeukie.

 

At Jisoo's words, Jennie releases another laugh before hurrying up to chase after the older girl. 

 

Jennie was aware that it might be awkward for a while between them, but at least she knew that their friendship would be okay. 

 

The night's events would eventually be forgotten and will remain as a moment from the past. 

 

•••

 

Lisa tucked her hands inside her pockets as she strolled along the night streets with the person beside her. 

 

Roseanne Park is different than how she imagined her. 

 

Unlike the cold and distant girl that she bumped into at the coffee shop, the tall Australian was probably the most down to earth person Lisa has ever met. 

 

Not only that, but the strawberry blonde was also a huge foodie. 

 

The Thai chuckles to herself as she thought back to the scenario within the restaurant, which perked the interest of the Australian beside her.

 

Chaeyoung: Why are you laughing?

 

Lisa glances up as she releases another light chuckle.

 

Lisa: It's nothing. Just wondering to myself how such a skinny girl like you can eat so much in one sitting.

 

At the Thai's words, Chaeyoung releases a light chortle of her own.

 

Chaeyoung: I'm sorry about that. I just really love food. 

 

Lisa waves her off with a smile.

 

Lisa: There's no need to apologize. I'm glad that you enjoyed the food. But honestly it's the first time I've seen a girl eat so much food. You have my admiration Miss Roseanne Park.

 

Having softened up to Lisa, Chaeyoung felt herself relax a little more around the Thai. It turns out that girl beside her wasn't as bad as she had thought.

 

Chaeyoung: Just Chaeyoung is fine.

 

Lisa returns her a smile before replying.

 

Lisa: Then you can just call me Lisa.

 

Chaeyoung nods before tucking her hands inside her coat. Turning to Lisa, she asks. 

 

Chaeyoung: So, you like my designs?

 

Lisa nods enthusiastically before turning to face the Chaeyoung.

 

Lisa: You could probably say that I'm your biggest fan. Oh, and my girlfriend is also a fan of your designs. I still can't believe that you've created such beautiful items at such a young age. I honestly did not expect you to be a 24 year old woman.

 

Chaeyoung smiles in satisfaction.

 

Chaeyoung: I'm glad. It's not everyday that someone tells me that directly to my face. You know with my identity being a secret and all.

 

Lisa perks up at the older girl's comment as she shoots her a questioning glance. 

 

Lisa: Why did you decide to keep your identity a secret, if you don't mind me asking?

 

Chaeyoung smiles slightly before releasing a sigh.

 

Chaeyoung: Being a fashion designer has always been my biggest dream. I love the idea of creating something with my own two hands that is able to not only show beauty, but also mean something. It's always about the clothes that are important to me. Not the fame. Rather than have the spotlight be on who was the designer, I'd rather it be on the clothes that I create.

 

Lisa smiles to herself, as she finds a newfound admiration for the designer besides her.

 

Lisa: You really are something Chaeyoung Park. 

 

Chaeyoung returns the smile as she shyly tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

Chaeyoung: It's not a big deal really. I'm just doing something that makes me happy.

 

Lisa shakes her head as she glances at the Australian.

 

Lisa: Your parents must be proud of you. 

 

Chaeyoung smiles sadly, her head dropping towards the ground.

 

Chaeyoung: Actually my parents passed away. 

 

Lisa glances up in shock as she tries to apologize.

 

Lisa: I'm so sorry. I didn't know. 

 

Chaeyoung releases a light chuckle and brushed it off.

 

Chaeyoung: It's okay. It wasn't your fault that you didn't know. Besides, it was awhile ago. It's not as bad now.

 

Lisa nods, as she carefully chose her next words.

 

Lisa: How did it happen? If you don't mind me asking.

 

Chaeyoung: It was just an unfortunate accident really. Happened when I was 10. They were coming back from a long trip and it was raining. I was staying at a friend's house when the police called. 

 

Lisa slows down her pace as she shares a sympathetic look to the Australian beside her.

 

Lisa: You must have been devastated, losing your parents at such a young age. 

 

Chaeyoung forces a small smile as she nodded in agreement.

 

Chaeyoung: From that day forward I was pretty much on my own. It was my faith in God that had kept me going.

 

Lisa: So you're a Christian? 

 

Chaeyoung nods.

 

Chaeyoung: It was hard to maintain my faith in God after what happened to my parents. There was a point where I actually hated Him despite being His child. But then I thought about how my mother used to tell me that God gave a purpose for every single person, and that we can complain and be angry at Him for everything that is happening. But if we yield our anger and bitterness to Him, He will grant us His peace and strength to get through our difficult situation. 

 

Chaeyoung finally turns to look at Lisa who was staring at her in silence with an unreadable expression. Misjudging the latter's expression, she quickly shoots the Thai an apologetic look.

 

Chaeyoung: Sorry, I didn't mean to go all religious on you and make you feel uncomfortable.

 

Snapping out of her daze, Lisa waves her off with a smile.

 

Lisa: There's no need to apologize. I think you've misunderstood me.

 

Chaeyoung was shocked by Lisa's response in which her eyebrows furrow in confusion.

 

Chaeyoung: Oh, it's cause you were silent. So I thought...

 

Lisa chuckles lightly as she shakes her head.

 

Lisa: You've got it all wrong. I was silent because I was so amazed of how strong you are. Despite everything you've gone through, you were still able to maintain your faith and get to where you are today. You truly have my respect Chaeyoung.

 

Lisa's words puts a slight blush on Chaeyoung's face. Thankfully the sky was dark, so she didn't have to worry about the Thai seeing her flushed cheeks.

 

Chaeyoung: Thank you Lisa. 

 

The younger girl gives the Australian a smile in return. The two continued to walk along the streets in a comfortable silence. 

 

A moment after, Chaeyoung slows down her pace as she turns to face Lisa.

 

Chaeyoung: I'm sorry if I had been a little cold and perhaps rude to you before. It's just I don't usually trust people easily. I had a lot of baggage before moving here... so I tend to be distant around people.

 

Lisa just smiles and gives Chaeyoung a reassuring smile.

 

Lisa: It's okay I understand. 

 

The Thai thought about asking Chaeyoung about her past, but had decided against it. If the older girl had wanted to share it, then she would've. It wasn't Lisa's place to pry.

 

Chaeyoung: Thanks for inviting me to dinner today. Not only did I have a great time, but I also gained a new friend. 

 

Lisa smiles brightly as she glances at Chaeyoung.

 

Lisa: It was my pleasure. 

 

The two walked a few steps when the the Thai adds.

 

Lisa: Maybe one of these days I could introduce you to my girlfriend. I have a feeling you two would get along. 

 

Chaeyoung releases a soft giggle as she nodded eagerly.

 

Chaeyoung: I would love to.