02.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

5 years later~

The doors to the elevator opens. Every employee immediately straightens up as they bowed to the woman making her way through the building.

"Director Kim."

Jennie shifted her sunglasses a bit as she nodded to the employees, making sure that she acknowledges each person.

She made her way into her office before shutting the door. She releases a sigh upon seeing the person sitting at her desk. 

Walking over, she flicks off the other person's earphones and shoved their feet off her table. 

Jisoo startled awake and released a yelp. 

At the sight of Jennie looking down upon her, her lips easily forms into a bright smile.

Jisoo: Jendeukie!

Jennie sets down her purse before walking over towards the sofa and takes a seat.

Jennie: My office isn't a place where you can sleep Jisoo. What would the employees think of me, or of you? Did you forget that you're also a director at this company?

Jisoo chuckles as she approaches Jennie.

Jisoo: Who cares what they think Jendeuk-ah. Let loose a little.

Jennie: Then think about your fans. You're one of our country's biggest Hallyu stars, what would your fans think of you if they see you behave like this.

Jisoo pretends to act confused as she shrugged her shoulders.

Jisoo: They'll love me even more?

Jennie: Jisoo~ I'm not kidding. 

Seeing the glare Jennie shot her way, Jisoo raises her hands in surrender as she takes a seat next to her childhood friend. She playfully pulls on the younger girl's sleeve, and leans onto her shoulder.

Jisoo: Okay, okay. I surrender. I'll listen to you. Please don't be mad at me Mandeukie. If you get mad at me, who's cheeks am I gonna squish now?

Jennie gently shoves Jisoo's head off her shoulder.

Jennie: I don't know. Maybe one of your random hook ups.

Jisoo smirks at the latter and wiggles her eyebrows teasingly.

Jisoo: Wow. Is Jendeukie jealous?

Jennie releases a scoff.

Jennie: Of course not. I'd be crazy if I was jealous.

Jisoo feigns a hurt expression as she leans in closer towards Jennie.

Jisoo: Yah, you should be honored that you're friends with me. How could you even say that? I'm hurt Jennie Kim. How could you resist this beautiful face?

Jisoo batted her eyes innocently towards the latter. Despite Jennie's efforts, she couldn't help but break into a smile. 

Jennie: Stop whining you big baby. You're embarrassing yourself.

Jisoo chuckles softly, before stopping as she begins to stare intently at Jennie. 

Jisoo: But honestly, after all of these years... do you still not know of my feelings towards you?

Jennie stares at the older girl bewilderedly, finding herself at a loss for words. Sensing the awkward tension in the air, Jisoo looks away as she plasters on a teasing smile.

Jisoo: Yah, I was joking. Do you really not get my sense of humor?

Jennie felt her posture relax as she lets out a soft laugh and gently pushes Jisoo away.

Jennie: You're so annoying.

Jisoo joins in on the younger's laughter before regaining her posture on the sofa. 

She glances over at Jennie once more, pondering on her thoughts. After awhile, she her head to the side curiously before asking. 

Jisoo: Are you going? 

Immediately knowing what Jisoo was talking about, Jennie leans back in her spot and shook her head.

Jennie: I don't know Chu. It's been 5 years... I'm scared.

Jisoo heaves out a sigh as she reaches over to grab Jennie's hand. 

Jisoo: It's your choice. If you want to go, then I'll be right by your side. Or behind you. Whatever you need Jendeuk-ah. 

Jennie smiles gently. 

Jennie: Thanks Jisoo. But... I don't think that I'm ready to face her yet. What if she's changed? I mean, I told her that I would wait for her... but what if she forgot about me? What if she moved on and found someone new? What if she's engaged?

Seeing Jennie's panicked face, Jisoo gives her hand a squeeze of comfort as she turns the latter's head to face her. 

Jisoo: Hey, I'm sure it's all gonna be okay. We're talking about Lisa here. She wouldn't do that to you. 

Jisoo winks at Jennie and gives her a lopsided grin. 

Jisoo: And even if she did, I promise I'll beat up her for you. 

All the seriousness in the room seemed to have eased off a bit at Jisoo's little remark. Jennie playfully shoves Jisoo away as she broke into a small smile. 

Jennie: You're hopeless. 

Jisoo leans in towards Jennie and bats her eyes adoringly. 

Jisoo: Only for you Jendeukie.

The younger pushes her away once more as she tries to suppress her laughter. Jisoo smiles to herself, seeing that she had helped ease Jennie's worries.

She stood up from her spot as she walks back over towards the younger's desk and takes a seat.

Jennie crosses her arms as she glances at the Hallyu star.

Jennie: What are you doing here anyways? Lisa isn't supposed to come back until tomorrow morning. 

Jisoo shrugged her shoulders as she spun around in the chair.

Jisoo: Can't I come visit my most favorite person in the world?

Jennie rolled her eyes as she shook her head.

Jennie: As much as I appreciate it Chu, I can't talk today. I need to prepare and get everything ready before Lisa comes back tomorrow. 

Jisoo stops spinning, and pouted towards the younger girl.

Jisoo: But I enjoy your company Jendeukie. Who will I hang out with if not you?

Jennie chuckles to herself.

Jennie: Stop being so overdramatic Jisoo. 

Jisoo ponders with her thoughts for a bit before smiling at Jennie, a mischievous glint sparkling in her eyes.

Jisoo: Ditch work today Jennie-ah. Go clubbing with me. I heard of this place that just opened and—

Before Jisoo could even finish speaking, she was cut off by Jennie.

Jennie: Absolutely not. Did you really think that I would agree to such a thing?

Jisoo laughs a bit as she shrugged her shoulders.

Jisoo: It was worth a try.

Jennie: Why don't you go hang out with Joohyun unnie, or Jin Oppa? I heard you haven't been home in the past few days. 

Jisoo huffs out a breath, as she shakes her head.

Jisoo: That's not gonna happen. Every time I'm with them, they're always nagging me about coming to work at the company.

Jennie up an eyebrow as she tilts her head to the side.

Jennie: Why don't you want to work though Ji? I think you could really bring in many innovative ideas for our company.

The older girl shook her head once more. 

Jisoo: There's too much power struggle in this business world. I don't have any interest in getting in the middle of it.

Jennie: You're wasting away your talents Jisoo.

Jisoo smirks at the younger girl.

Jisoo: Am I though? I'm living my best life with no worries. I get to act, model, and sing while partying everyday, with millions of people who love and support me. I'm not wasting away anything Jennie-ah. 

Jennie: But Jis—

Jisoo abruptly gets up from her seat, not wanting to talk to Jennie anymore about the subject at hand. She gives the latter a smile as she straightens out her clothes. 

Jisoo: I'll get going now Jennie-ah. I'll see you later.

Jennie releases a sigh before nodding goodbye towards her friend.

Jennie: Bye Jisoo.

Jisoo gives Jennie a smile before heading towards the door. Before walking out, she turns back towards the younger and pointed an reprimanding finger towards her.

Jisoo: And don't work yourself too hard alright? If you get sick, I promise that I will come bother you everyday Jennie Kim.

Jennie smiles warmly towards the older girl as she nodded.

Jennie: I will.

Feeling assured, Jisoo spares Jennie one last smile before exiting the room.

 

•••

 

Lisa Manoban glances around the airport as she tries to take in the thought of being back in her hometown. 

It has been 5 years and so much has changed since she had left. 

Releasing a long sigh, she turns back around and starts to look around for her luggage. Spotting the familiar gray designer suitcase, she approaches it and grabs its handle. 

To her surprise, someone else had also grabbed onto her suitcase as well.

She her eyebrow up questioningly as she stares at the other person.

Lisa: Excuse me miss, but I think you've gotten the wrong suitcase. 

The other person shook her head as she pulls the suitcase towards her a bit with Lisa's hand still on the handle.

Person: I believe that it is you who is mistaken. This is my suitcase.

The first thing that Lisa noticed was the other person's Australian accent and how melodious it sounded in her ear. 

Immediately snapping out of her thoughts, Lisa plasters on a smile before pulling the suitcase back towards her.

Lisa: Miss, in case you didn't know. My suitcase is one of the only two in the world. And the other is owned by the designer herself, so there is no way that this could possibly be yours.

Before the Australian could reply, she was interrupted by an airport attendant who was making his way towards her.

Attendant: Miss Park! I'm so sorry to keep you waiting!

The attendant glances over and notices Lisa. His eyes widen with relief as he pushes a familiar gray suitcase towards her. 

Attendant: Miss Manoban! Thank goodness you're still here! Your suitcase mistakenly got placed in another section. I am so sorry for the inconvenience.

Lisa was at a loss for words as she slowly turns back to face the so called Miss Park. 

She chuckles nervously as her hand slowly relaxes on the handle.

Lisa: My apologies Miss Park. I hope you won't  mind my careless mistake. It's just the suitcase...

Lisa pauses as her eyes finally widen in realization.

Lisa: Oh my god. If there are only two in the world, and the designer owns the other one... then that means... YOU ARE ROSÉ?!

The refined designer returns Lisa a curt nod in reply.

Rosé: Apologies accepted Miss Manoban. But I ask of you to be more mindful next time. If you will excuse me, I have an urgent matter to attend to. 

Lisa was left speechless as she watches the tall blonde walk away. She was immediately consumed with embarrassment from the earlier fiasco. 

She mentally scolded herself for making such a fool of herself in front of her favorite designer. 

Lisa: What a fool you are Lalisa.

 

•••

 

Lisa steps out of her car and was immediately engulfed by a bone crushing hug from her childhood best friend. 

Lisa: It's good to see you too Kim.

Jisoo pulls away, a wide grin stretched across her face.

Jisoo: You look good Manoban. How was Australia? Do you have any friends you wouldn't mind introducing to me?

Jisoo raises her eyebrows jokingly as Lisa let's out a laugh.

Lisa: Australia was wonderful. And no, I don't. But even if I did, I wouldn't introduce them to you Kim. 

Jisoo pouted.

Jisoo: Wow. I guess our friendship means nothing to you. 

Lisa chuckles as lightly punches Jisoo's shoulder. 

Lisa: I know how you are Kim. I'm just trying to prevent a person's heart from being broken.

Jisoo laughs along and threw her arm around the younger girl's shoulder.

Jisoo: It's good to have you back.

Lisa smiles back at her friend. Her next thought had quickly made her smile slowly fade away.

Lisa: How... How has Jennie been? 

Jisoo remains silent for a bit before nodding in reply.

Jisoo: She's been well. I tried to convince her to come see you, but she was scared to.

Lisa heaves out a sigh.

Lisa: I really hurt her didn't I?

Jisoo nodded quietly. 

Wanting to get rid of the gloomy atmosphere, she gives Lisa a smile before nodding towards the car.

Jisoo: Get in. I'll drive you to the company. I'm sure she'll forgive you sooner or later. I mean you're Lalisa, and when has Jennie ever stopped loving you.

Lisa glances up hopefully with sparkling eyes.

Lisa: Do you really think that she'll forgive me?

Jisoo nodded with a smile on her face.

Jisoo: I'm a 100 percent sure of it. 

 

•••

 

A knock came from Jennie's door, startling the director from her work. 

Jennie: Come in.

What Jennie didn't expect was to see the last person that she wanted to see in that moment walk into the room. 

Despite the scolding of her brain, her heart still skipped a beat when she saw Lalisa Manoban walking towards her looking as beautiful as ever, with a bouquet of roses in her hands.

Not wanting to give in too quickly, she immediately flickered her eyes back towards the documents on her desk. 

She heard Lisa's footsteps approach her and could feel her heart beating quicker by the second. 

When the footsteps stopped, Jennie allowed her eyes to slowly rise up and meet Lisa's.

The other girl gives her a small smile as she rubs the nape of her neck.

Lisa: Hey Jennie.

Jennie: You're back. 

Lisa: Yeah. Jisoo picked me up. 

Jennie: Have you seen your parents. They must be happy to finally have you home.

Lisa chuckles a bit and shook her head.

Lisa: I haven't.

Jennie raises a questioning eyebrow.

Jennie: Why not?

Lisa shrugs.

Lisa: I wanted to see you first.

Jennie felt her cheeks redden at Lisa's answer, but releases a bitter laugh nonetheless.

Jennie: Why would want to see me first? I'm just your friend.

Lisa lets out a sigh as she's reminded of how much she had hurt Jennie with her words and actions that day. 

She walks around the desk and kneels down in front of Jennie.

Lisa: You are not just a friend. The words that I said that day... I know how much they had hurt you, and I'm sorry. You will always be important to me Jennie-ah. I still love you. 

Jennie's stomach fluttered as she felt like as if her heart was about to leap out of her chest. 

No matter how hard she tried, she knew that she could never stay mad at Lisa. Breaking into a smile, she reaches out a hand and gently touches Lisa's face.

Jennie: I still love you too Lisa. 

Lisa's lips stretches into a wide smile at latter's words. Immediately she drops the bouquet of roses and leans over, smashing her lips into the Jennie's.

Jennie pulls back a bit, her forehead touching Lisa's as they tried to catch their breaths. 

Jennie: I missed you so much.

Lisa nodded as she gives Jennie another peck on her lips.

Lisa: I missed you too.