17.

The Smile In Your Eyes

 

Chaeyoung: So who did you say this party belonged to Sehun?

Sehun weaves his way through the club leading the way as Chaeyoung followed him. He turns back to look at the Australian and answers.

Sehun: Kai Kim, he's a model. Today's party is his birthday celebration.

Chaeyoung: And he's your friend?

Sehun tilts his head to the side as his pace slows down for a bit.

Sehun: Not technically. He and I were under the same company a few years back until he decided to sign with a new one.

Chaeyoung nodded along in understanding as her eye catches sight of a table nearby.

Chaeyoung: There's an open spot over there Sehun!

The actor's eyes followed to where Chaeyoung was pointing. He releases a sigh before guiding her over towards the table.

The Australian gazes around the club as her head bops along to the music.

Chaeyoung: If you two aren't that close, then why'd you come?

Sehun shrugs.

Sehun: We share mutual friends. They were the ones who asked me to come tonight.

Chaeyoung nodded.

Chaeyoung: Ah okay.

The Australian smiles gratefully towards the actor.

Chaeyoung: Thanks again for inviting me Sehun. I've been needing to do something to get my mind off things.

Sehun returns her a smile of his own.

Sehun: Don't mention it. Consider it as sort of a thank you for you not telling Jisoo about my one sided love.

Chaeyoung bursts into a fit of giggles.

Chaeyoung: So I take it you'll be buying my drinks tonight?

Sehun smiles at her as he slides over the menu that was already on the table.

Sehun: Order anything you want. 

Chaeyoung giggles a bit more before picking up the menu. She was busy looking over the drinks when Sehun's movement caught her eye.

Sehun: My friends are making their way over. 

Chaeyoung glances up from the menu and followed the direction of Sehun's gaze. Sure enough there were a group of guys who were just a few feet away from reaching the table.

Sehun rises from his seat as he welcomes his friends over, greeting them each with a hug.

The actor leads them to the table where Chaeyoung was seated and introduced her.

Sehun: Guys meet my friend Chaeyoung. She recently moved to Seoul from Australia.

A chorus of "Hellos," and "Nice to meet yous," we're exchanged between the group. Sehun smiles before turning towards Chaeyoung and introduced his friends.

Sehun: So Chaeyoung, this is Suho hyung, Baekhyun hyung, and Chanyeol hyung. They're all part of an idol group called Exo. 

Chaeyoung smiles brightly before greeting the Exo members once again.

Chaeyoung: It's a pleasure to meet you guys tonight. A few of my friends back in Australia are big fans of yours.

Suho chuckles lightly and gives Chaeyoung a polite nod.

Suho: That makes me so happy to hear. If you ever need any signed albums, just let us know. 

Chaeyoung: Oh my gosh that would actually be so cool. I would absolutely appreciate it so much!

Baekhyun: Don't mention it Chaeyoung-shi, any friend of Sehun's is a friend of ours. 

Chanyeol and Suho both nodded along as they beamed their bright smiles at the Australian.

Chaeyoung: Aw you guys are so sweet. Thank you. 

Sehun smiles seeing that both Chaeyoung and his friends have gotten acquainted. He then notices that Kai was no where in sight and began to look around for the model.

Sehun: Where's Kai? He's not with you guys?

Chanyeol rolled his eyes before taking a seat on a nearby stool.

Chanyeol: That jerk left a while ago. 

Baekhyun nodded along before adding.

Baekhyun: Yeah. Said he was going to pick up his date or something.

Suho only shook his head before releasing a sigh. 

Suho: That kid. He just took off and left us here to handle the party. 

Sehun frowned a bit as he tried to remember the name of Kai's girlfriend.

Sehun: He's picking up Krystal right? Was that her name? 

Suho shook his head again.

Suho: Apparently they broke up in private about a month ago. 

Baekhyun releases a sigh as he glances towards Chaeyoung.

Baekhyun: Once he gets here, I'm gonna advise you to not fall for his charms. 

Chanyeol nodded as he leaned closer towards the Australian.

Chanyeol: Baek's right, Kai goes through girls like he goes through his shoe collection. The longest relationship he's ever had was 3 months. And that's only because it was a publicity stunt for the actress's movie. 

Chaeyoung scrunches her face in distaste already not liking the vibe of this guy. She now understood why Sehun wasn't friends with him.

Chaeyoung: He sounds like a jerk. How do you guys even tolerate a guy like him?

Baekhyun shrugs as he glances at Suho and Chanyeol. 

Baekhyun: No idea. I guess from time to time he can be a pretty chill guy to hang with. Plus he throws pretty fun parties, so why not?

Chaeyoung nodded along understanding where Baekhyun was coming from. Sehun suddenly catches sight of Kai in the crowd who appeared to be a bit tipsy as he made his way over. 

As the model gets closer to the table, the pungent smell of drugs and alcohol washed over everyone's senses.

Kai: Yo! What's up guys?! How great is this party?! There's so many people here! And they're all here just to celebrate my birthday! 

Suho scrunches up his nose as Baekhyun and Chanyeol slightly cover up their faces to avoid the smell. 

Sehun searches his pockets and pulls out a napkin before handing it to Chaeyoung to cover her nose.

Suho: Yah, this kid. Are you smoking again?

Kai rolled his eyes as releases a nonchalant laugh.

Kai: It's okay hyung, I only did a few rounds. As the star of tonight's party I'm obligated to have some fun with my guests. 

The model lifts up the burnt joint in his hand before taking a hit from it. 

Kai: And this? It's not even mine. Someone handed it to me, and I'd hate for it to go to waste.

Baekhyun scrunches his face up in distaste before realizing that the model had arrived at the table alone.

Baekhyun: Yah, didn't you say you were picking up your date? Where is she? 

Kai: Oh you mean Jennie? 

At the sound of the brunette's name, Chaeyoung's ears perked up as she stares at Kai with wide eyes.

However, she quickly dismissed it, thinking that it was just a coincidence. After all, Chaeyoung knew Jennie, and the older woman wasn't someone who would associate herself with the likes of Kai. 

Not to mention coming to a club like this as his date when she was already happily in a relationship with someone like Lisa.

Kai: I left her waiting at a bar. Told her I was getting us someone drinks, but I guess I got caught up a little. 

Suho furrows his eyebrows as he felt slightly annoyed by the model's behavior. 

Suho: Yah, how can you bring a date and leave her all by herself? What if something happens to her?

Kai releases a laugh before nonchalantly waving off the older's questions.

Kai: Relax hyung. I was already planning to make it up to her tonight.

Kai shoots Suho a wink in which Chaeyoung found herself disgusted by after hearing the model's words. Even though she didn't know who his date was, she felt a bit sympathetic knowing what she was gonna be dealing with. 

Despite her distaste towards the model in front of her, she chose to remain silent knowing that it wasn't her place to talk.

Sehun had finally had enough of Kai's attitude and decided to speak up. 

Sehun: You should at least bring her over here Kai. She probably doesn't know anyone here. 

Kai's turns over towards Sehun as his lips curve into a crooked smile.

Kai: Yo Sehun! I didn't even realize you were here! It's been a while dude!

Sehun releases a scoff and rolls his eyes.

Sehun: Maybe you would've noticed if you'd only let go of your ego for one minute. 

Although the actor had mumbled the words under his breath, Chaeyoung managed to hear them and tried to stifle her laughter. 

Not being able to decipher what Sehun had said, Kai cups a hand to his ear as he sways a bit closer towards him.

Kai: What did you say?

Sehun: I said that you should bring your date over here so she won't be lonely.

Kai frowns slightly as he his head to the side. A deadly glare seems to have glazed over his eyes and disappeared the very next second, as if it were never there at all.

Kai: Are you sure that's all you said to me Sehun-ah? Is there anything else you wanna say to me?

Kai takes a step forward but was held back by Suho's extended arm.

Suho: He's right Kai. Just hurry up and bring your date over and introduce her to us. You can't leave her by herself.

Kai subtly rolled his eyes before covering it up with a crooked smirk. 

Kai: Alright fine. I guess I'll go bring her over.

The model salutes to the group before spinning around and ventured back into the crowd.

Sehun releases a breath he didn't realize he was holding as he glances around the table. His eyes landed on Chaeyoung's as he shoots her a questioning glance.

Sehun: You okay? You seemed a bit quiet back there.

Chaeyoung smiles softly and returns him a nod of reassurance.

Chaeyoung: I'm fine. Something about Kai just doesn't vibe with me I guess. I hope you guys aren't offended.

Chanyeol laughed out loud at Chaeyoung's apology before waving it off dismissively.

Chanyeol: It's all good. He rubs off the wrong way with a lot of people. You either like him or you don't. There's no in between.

Chaeyoung manages to ease up a little and laughs along. 

It wasn't that she completely disliked Kai, there was just something about him that rubbed her the wrong way. 

Not to mention his very serious problem with drugs and alchohol, and seemingly disrespect for women. 

She was just glad that he was no longer around her, even if it were just a short amount of time.

 

•••

 

Jennie wasn't one to just let herself be bossed around. If it were any other scenario, she would've stormed out and headed home by now.

But tonight, she had been too exhausted and mentally drained to argue back with Kai and instead had went along with him anyway.

Not to mention the fact that she had no idea where she was gonna even find a cab around here, much less get home. 

But after about 30 minutes of waiting for Kai to come back, she had decided that enough was enough. 

She was tired and had no time waiting around for the model to take her home. 

She gets up abruptly from her seat, and made her way for the exit.

Kai: Jennie!

The brunette swerved around as a hand reaches out and pulls her back. She comes face to face with Kai, in which the pungent smell of alcohol and drugs went straight up her nose.

She scrunches her face in disgust before yanking her arm away.

Kai: Where are you going?

The brunette crosses her arms as she gives Kai a stern look. 

Jennie: I'm heading home Sunbae. It's getting late, and my parents will get worried. 

The model slightly rolled his eyes as he gives her a drunken smirk.

Kai: Come on, it's not that late. I'll take you home in a bit.

Kai reaches for her wrist once more as Jennie recoils from his touch.

Jennie: I need to go home now Sunbae. Thanks for offering, but I'll leave on my own.

Jennie turns to leave but was immediately pulled back by a now slightly irritated Kai.

Kai: Why are you being so uptight? I told you I'll take you home later.

The model yanks Jennie closer towards him before leaning his face towards her ear.

Kai: Besides, I figured we might as well have a little fun tonight whilst you're here.

Jennie scowls in disgust as she forcibly pushes Kai away.

Jennie: What are you talking about Sunbae? I have a girlfriend! 

Kai rolled his eyes as his lip forms into a smirk.

Kai: She doesn't have to find out. 

The model approaches Jennie before forcing himself on her once more.

Kai: I want you Jennie. I want all of you. 

Kai eyes Jennie hungrily as he his lips, salvaging the sight of the brunette's cleavage that manage to peak from beneath her coat. 

He shifts his eyes towards her horrified gaze before moving in for a kiss. 

However, before he could, the brunette shoved him off once more before striking across his face with a fierce slap. 

Jennie stares at the model who was now tending to the red mark on his face with distasteful hatred. 

She searches around her for the exit before hastily making a move towards the blinking red sign.

Kai lifts his head up, his eyes darkened as his body was ignited with anger by the alcohol circulating his system.

A low growl erupts from his throat as he took heavy steps after Jennie. 

He harshly grabs onto the brunette's wrist before pulling her with him. 

Jennie: Let me go! LET ME GO!

Her screams were drowned out by the music and the people around them were too busy to give a care. 

Jennie continues to scream as she starts firing a storm of punches at Kai. 

The latter however, was unfazed and only tightened his grip around her bruising wrist. 

Suddenly, a hand reaches out from the crowd and forcibly grabs onto Kai's shoulder, turning him around. 

Jennie's arm slips away from his grip as he turns to face the person who got in his way.

Jisoo: She told you to LET GO!

Before Kai could catch a glimpse of the raven, Jisoo had already cuffed him across the jaw, sending the model tumbling towards the ground. 

Jisoo stood over the model with fire burning in her eyes. She clenched her fist together in order to restrain herself from letting out her anger on him.

A small crowd had formed around them as people started to take notice of the ruckus. 

Jisoo ignores the staring and whispers and turns her attention to the only thing that mattered to her in the room in that moment. 

She rushes over and takes in Jennie's bruised wrist into her own hand. She gazes at the latter with tender eyes as she gently tucks a strand of hair behind behind the brunette's ear.

Jisoo: Are you alright Jendeuk?

Still in a state of shock, Jennie could only nod weakly in response as she looked towards Jisoo with scared eyes. 

The raven's blood boiled as she took in Jennie's vulnerable form. 

By now, Kai has finally recovered from Jisoo's punch as he lifts himself from the ground and released an amused laugh.

Kai: Well look who joined the party. Still chasing after your best friend's girl Kim Jisoo? It's kinda pathetic don't you think? You know she'll never love someone like you.

Jisoo clenches her jaw, as she stared daggers at Kai's smug face. The model knew he had hit a nerve, and if it weren't for Jennie's pleading look, Jisoo would've already thrown herself at him.

Jisoo: Look who's talking? At least I'm not like some stray dog on the street who sleeps around with anyone he can get his hands on.

Kai releases a cold chuckle as he glared at the raven with fire burning in his eyes. He soon replaces it with a smug smile.

Kai: Fine, take her. She's just a who's not worth my time anyway. I'll give Manoban a few months before she dumps the bi—

Before Kai could finish, another punch landed on his face causing him to stumble back a few steps. 

Blood trickled down from the model's broken nose at he bellowed with rage.

Jisoo breathes heavily as she tries to reel in her anger. 

Jisoo: Don't you dare to ever speak about her that way again. 

Thinking that the fight was over, she spared the model one last glance before turning around to make her way back to Jennie. 

However, much to everyone's surprise, Kai grabbed a nearby bottle and smashes it onto the table before charging towards Jisoo with it.

Jennie stares at the raven with terrified eyes, knowing that she won't be able to get to her in time.

Jennie: JISOO WATCH OUT!

Jisoo turns around just in time see Kai charging towards her with the broken bottle. 

Unfortunately, she wasn't quick enough to completely dodge it as Kai managed to cut open a large gash on her forearm. 

The model stares at the raven with triumph seeing the blood drip down from her arm. He allows the bottle to drop onto the ground, his eyes wide in manic as if he had gotten a rush from just hurting someone. 

With the adrenaline and alcohol running through his system, the model was itching for more. 

He takes a step towards Jisoo's direction before being blocked by Jennie who couldn't bare to see her friend get hurt anymore. 

Jennie: STOP! 

With trembling hands and tear filled eyes, she lifted up her phone towards Kai's face, allowing him to see the screen.

Jennie: I-I already called the police! They're on their way r-right now! So you better stop!

Despite the brunette's warning, it only seemed to anger Kai even more. The model bursts into a fit of rage as he glared at Jennie with a new burning fury.

Kai: THIS IS ALL YOUR ING FAULT YOU STUPID !

Without a warning, Kai lifts up his arm and smacks Jennie right across the face causing her to fly back.

Jisoo ran up towards the brunette and wrapped her arms protectively around Jennie. 

However, the force of Kai's slap caused both girls to tumble backwards and land on a nearby table. 

Jisoo releases a pained groan as felt the familiar warm liquid that stained her arm now leak out from beneath her. 

Jennie cups a hand over in horror when she realized that Jisoo had landed on the table that was now broken and littered with glass.

Jennie: Jisoo, you're bleeding! 

Tears fell from the brunette's eyes as she carefully helps Jisoo sit up. However, the raven ignores her comment as her eyes focused on Jennie's bloody lip.

A newfound rage tore its way through her body as she looks up towards Kai's dazed face. 

The model was completely out of it, lost in his own world from all the alcohol and drugs he previously put into his system.

But Jisoo didn't care. Her pain was forgotten as she readies herself to get up and make Kai pay for the pain he had inflicted on Jennie. 

But before she could get the chance to do it, a familiar figure storms out from the crowd and punches Kai across the face. 

The model stumbled back a bit before collapsing onto the ground unconscious.

Jisoo blinks a bit as her eyes tries to focus on the tall figure before her. Why did it look so familiar? 

Her question was answered when Chaeyoung emerged from the crowd and knelt down beside her with a worried gaze. 

Chaeyoung: Are you guys okay? 

Both Kims although in shock at the sight of the Australian nodded  in response. Jisoo's attention shifted back just in time to see Sehun turn a around to face her. 

He gazes at her with a worried yet gentle pair of eyes, as if silently asking her if whether she was okay. 

And for some unknown reason, seeing the actor's face was enough to ease Jisoo's nerves as a comforting feeling washes over her.