My 31 Days With You ( ChaeNnie First Monthsary )

Neon

Joy her lip and watches in anticipation. She felt
like it’s teasing her as it slowly drops down knowing that all she wanted to do was devour every inch of it.
And finally it drop down on the vending machine, her Cheetos chips was done tempting her and was now ready to fulfill her. Joy chuckles in triumph as images of her enjoying the cheesy goodness plays in her head. And just when she’s about to pull her hand off, she realize that life wasn’t as easy as she thought it is.

“FML.”

And now half of Joy’s arm is stuck inside the opening of the vending machine. She tries everything to pull her hand off, she yank, twist and pull only ended up making a fool out of
herself. She tries to laugh it off as people watches her in surprise.

“Don’t mind me… I’m alright… just trying to get my snack.”

She keeps on yanking her arm but her arm won’t come off, she sighs heavily.

“You need help?”

Oh great of all people that could see her in her epic
humiliation, why does it have to be campus heartthrob Sungjae? The guy doesn’t even know she exist and now he’ll remember her as the girl who got her arm stuck in a vending machine.

“What? no I’m okay.” Joy shakes her head, hoping the prince would just go away. But instead Sungjae crouch in front of her and got
his arm in to try to pull Joy’s arm of.

“There you go.”

Joy have never been so glad to see her arm until now and the fact that she has her Cheetos makes it a sight to see.

“Thank you.”  Joy steps away but before Sungjae could put his money on the vending machine. Joy think it was her obligation to warn people of the machine.

“Be careful… it’s a really evil-“

But before Joy could finish her sentence, Sungjae was able to grab his Lay’s potato chips without any glitches.

“Thanks for the warning, Joy.”

He walks away leaving a very confuse Joy munching on her Cheetos.

“Wait? Did he just call me Joy?”

*
Wendy sighs happily at the taste of the ice tea trickling down her throat. It was a sweet escape to be in Irene’s spacious dorm room. The girl was loaded enough that her parents paid for a two bedroom dorm room and Irene have it all to
herself with a fridge and a mini bar (Yes… Irene’s dormroom has a mini bar). As much as she loves Jennie like her own sister sometimes the kid just has a way of making her homicidal, especially if the girl is in one of her rapping mode.

“You got orange juice, Irene?”

“It’s in the fridge, duh.” Irene shouted from the bathroom.

Wendy searches the fridge but before her eyes saw on the orange juice, a familiar heart shape dark chocolate caught her attention.

“You got it?”

Wendy quickly looks away before Jessica could suspect anything.

“Yeah… I did.” Wendy sighs heavily… This is what she was afraid of, to be in between two people who are clearly meant for each other.

Irene never ever opened about it but it was so obvious, those longing stares, those defensive mode whenever the bear is around and now this… the heart shape chocolate that Seulgi gave them a couple of months ago is still there left untouched in Irene’s fridge.

And Seulgi, the girl was super cute and adorable but Wendy never really sees her as more than a friend. Wendy is a firm believer that some situations would turn out better if a person realizes it for themselves rather than someone telling them about it. And love no matter how touchy the subject is, is one of those things. So, even if Wendy never gives Seulgi the idea that there would ever be a chance between them, she never tell Seulgi anything since again, it would be much better for Seulgi to realize that fact for herself.

I’m sorry about this Irene, but I got to do this…

*

Chaeyoung growls from her bed as she pats her desk to shut her screaming phone.

“What Jen?”

“HAPPY FIRST MONTHSARY!!!”

Chaeyoung groans and buries her head in her pillow.

“Go outside your room, I have a surprise for you.”

“Can I just get some sleep now and get the gift later?”
“Ummm… Well… c’mon Yoongbaby… just 15 minutes off your time.”

Chaeyoung pounds her pillow in irritation and got up…

*
There in front of her door was a huge box with a note open me. Chaeyoung scratches her head, what is Yul planning now? What on Earth was inside the box? Chaeyoung gave up trying to find the answer and opens the cover.

Every sleeping bone in Chaeyoung’s body woke up when Jennie pops out of the box. “ACCCCKKK JENNIE!!!”

“HAPPY MONTHSARY!!!”

“I should have just left you right there inside the box.” Chaeyoung groans…

“Awww… my future wife is so sweet… Here.” Jennie hands Chaeyoung a large manila envelope. Chaeyoung opens it and was surprise to see a chest X ray.

“That’s my heart,” Jennie points to the large muscle on the middle of the x ray, “that’s where you are.”

Chaeyoung couldn’t help but feel so guilty. Here was the girl making all this effort to make their monthsary special and she couldn’t even do something since she’s packed with tests, meetings, projects and practices.

“Jen, I’m sorry baby but-“

“I know. I know you’re so busy and all but it’s ok, how about dinner?”

And Chaeyoung’s guilt doubled “Jen I have this meeting for my management class, I don’t know what time I could get out of it.”

“Oh”Jennie says in disappointment. “Well, maybe next time when you’re not busy.”

“Yeah next time,” Chaeyoung smiles apologetically… “I’m so sorry…”

“It’s ok… no big deal.” It was really, Jennie had save a week of allowance just so she could take Chaeyoung out to the most expensive restaurant that night, but Chaeyoung doesn’t need to
know that. “Well good night” Jennie picks up the huge box and gives Chaeyoung a quick peck on the cheek before walking away.

And Chaeyoung closes her eyes, Jennie always kisses her in the lips or her hair or forehead but never on the cheek. So, when Jennie kisses her in the cheek, Chaeyoung knew that she hurt her girl
worse than she thinks.

*

“WENDY!”

Seulgi quickly slams the door on her face and Wendy could hear shuffling and cursing and things getting thrown. Seulgi laughs awkwardly and opens the door “Sorry about that… come in, come in…”

Wendy could see the stack of clothes buried underneath the load of stuff. “That’s ahhh
Yeri’s stuff… she’s a slob that Yeri m. So, what brings youhere to my crib? Not that I don’t like you coming cause I do.”

“I didn’t come here to talk.”

“Wae?”

But before Seulgi could ask any further, Wendy crashes he lips on Seulgi, leaving Seulgi to muffle in surprise. Seulgi expected sparks, her foot popping out and maybe even a background music but the moment she felt Wendy’s lips on her, it felt weird because instead of having an epic movie love story kiss. Her first kiss with Wendy felt like nothing.

*

Yeri looks in surprise at her friends, Seulgi looks like her mind is out else where, Jennie looks like a kicked puppy, even Joy was whoah- not eating her food. Who are these people and what did they do to her bestfriends?

“So Jen?” Jisoo speaks up, she seems like the only one who didn’t have a bad day. “What are you going to do with the dinner reservation you had?”

“IDK. Just buy a gift for Chaeyoung I guess.”

“Chaeyoung, Chaeyoung, Chaeyoung… always Chaeyoung… Dude, let her chase you for awhile, that’s why it’s ok for her to just dump you on
your monthsary night cause she knows like oh, Jennie, she’s so in love with me so it will be okay.” Seulgi mocks in a singsong voice.

Her friends brows are all raised at Seulgi’s outburst.

“Are you PMSing or something, Seul?”

“No! I kissed a girl and… I DON’T LIKE IT!”

“Oh, so you’re straight?”

“I! ARGH!!! UGH!!!” Seulgi grabs her lunch tray and walks out of the cafeteria.

The friends watch Seulgi stomps away.

*

Chaeyoung is walking in a dizzying pace around the boutique.

“Lisa, help me here… What should I give Jen?”

“Ummm… I don’t think Jennie unnie is picky with gifts.”

“I know that’s what makes it harder. If she was picky at least I know what to pick… God… help me.” Chaeyoung groans to the sky.

“If you want I could text Joy unnie.” Lisa pulls out her phone.

“No, No… I don’t want unnie to think that I don’t know what to give Jennie.”

“But you really don’t know what to give unnie?”

“But she doesn’t need to know that…”

“You know… it’s the thought that counts maybe if you could just show instead of buying unnie something, she would like it better?”

How could someone who had no experience with love be such a relationship expert?

*
Seulgi was all sprawled on the grass, huffing in frustration to the dark skies. She thought she wanted this, she dreamed of this every night and she thought that everything will fall into place once it happen but instead everything just made her more confuse.

“Here.” Seulgi sits up and looks surprise as she sees Jennie with her arms stretch out offering her a soda. Lately, the girl has been attached to Chaeyoung.

“I’m surprise you’re not with Chaeyoung right now.”

“Oh… she has a meeting for her management class in the library, I’ll just pick her up after she’s done.”

“Awww… And here we thought you’re going to date every living creature in this university, but look at you now, all faithful and stuff.”

Jennie just chuckles and sits down beside Seulgi before uncapping her own soda. “I guess I’m just lucky, I didn’t need to put up with a bunch of other people cause I already found my one.”

Seulgi replies with a smile. “Jen?”

“Yeah Seul?”

“So, ummm… how did you feel when you first kiss Chaeyoung?”

Jennie would regard this as Seulgi and her erted mind working, but the tone of Seulgi’s voice hinted that the girl wasn’t asking about the details of the kiss but more of how the kiss felt.

And as much as Jennie wished that she have the right words to describe it, she knew she can’t, Chaeyoung’s kisses have always render her speechless. “Ummm… I felt like I have amnesia.”

“Wae?”

“I felt like I forgot everything else, like the only memory worth remembering is our kiss.”

“Is it really like sparks flying?”

“Seul, it wasn’t just sparks, it was a freaking New Year fireworks display. Everytime we kiss I felt like getting down on my knee and asking her to marry me just because I could imagine kissing her everyday for my entire life” Jennie smiles softly “Why you ask?”

“Cause ummm… I have this friend who finally got to kiss the girl that she loves but you know what they say like there are sparks when you kiss? The kiss just felt weird cause there was… nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Like nothing. No sparks, no heart beating like crazy… it was like ehhhh…”

Jennie smiles “Well, at least you know now that all it was is infatuation.”

“I didn’t say it was me.”

Seulgi is more mature than what her elementary school girl look gives out and quite an expert on hiding how she feels. So, whenever Seulgi is going through something and needed advice, she would always say that a friend asked her instead of admitting that it was her. Jennie and the girls are aware of this but had a silent agreement to not tell Seulgi about it.

“Well, you could tell your friend that at least she didn’t spend forever wondering. I think your friend just fell in love with the girl because she’s perfect.”

Seulgi sighs heavily knowing that every word out of Jennie is true. Their silence was interrupted when they felt Jennie’s phone vibrate.

“Your boss texting you?”

“Yeah, she said she’s almost done.” Jennie pushed herself up before pulling Seulgi up. “Let’s go check out some butts on our way to the library.”

“PFFFT. And here I was thinking you were all faithful.”

“I am. I just look but I never touch, because now the only I want to pinch is Chaeyoung’s.”

“You’re such a hopeless romantic.”

*
“Wendy?” Seulgipeeks her head inside the room and sees Wendy in her desk studying.

“Hey Seulgi… come in…”

Wendy still managed to take Seulgi’s breath away and it was weird how despite of that, she knew that she doesn’t love Wendy.

“You look busy…” Seulgi says as she sees the open notes and books in Wendy’s desk.

“I needed a break…” Wendy pushes herself away from her desk and Seulgi sits down on Jennie’s bed.

“I thought Jennie likes dogs more, why does she have chipmunk sheets?” Seulgi wonders.

Wendy chuckles softly “You know your friend is a romantic dork, Chaeyoung looks like a chipmunk because of her cheeks so Jennie thinks that if she
has Chipmunk sheets, that it would be like hugging Chaeyoung every night.”

“That Jennie never fails to surprise me…”

 Wendy nods in agreement and despite of the cramp dorm room, Seulgi felt that she and Wendy are worlds apart with how quiet they were.

Seulgi finally had the guts to ask. “Ummm… Wendy, why did you kiss me? Is it because you like me or did you kiss me because you want to prove a point?”

“I kissed you to make you understand how you feel, Seulgi.”

“Why? What do you think I feel?"

“I knew from the start Seulgi that all you ever felt was just a crush. I just needed you to realize that yourself.”

“A crush? You think all I ever felt for you is a crush?”

“Seulgi everytime we're together all you try to do is try to impress me, if it was love, you won’t be afraid to show me who you are.”

“I think that it was the only way for you to notice me.”

“I notice you Seulgi, I notice everything you do. And I say to myself that Seulgi is perfect but she isn’t perfect for me.”

Seulgi’s face was the complete look of worry and
heartbreak. Wondering if there is really no one out there for her.

“It’s so easy to confuse fascination with love. You see what Jennie and Chaeyoung have, despite of how much they can’t stand each other you know that it’s love. They see through their faults and imperfections and still work things out. You imagine
white picket fences, and a puppy on the backyard but that’s not how it is and that’s not how it’s going to be. You have to put up with all it’s BS and struggles and be able to say to yourself, that that person is worth it.”

Wendy sits down beside Seulgi and that close space was enough to reassure Seulgi that despite of the crappy feeling that she had right now that somehow she’ll be ok…

“Don’t think that just because I didn’t fell in love with you that no one will ever will, because somewhere out there Seulgi, if you just look closely you’ll find someone who loves you. Somewhere out there Seulgi, despite of all the BS and crap, somebody thinks you are worth it.”

“I wonder who’s dumb enough to know that.”

Wendy smiles back, she did her part now it’s up to the two dummies to realize it.

*

Jennie let go of their intertwined hands when they got to Chaeyoung’s dorm room. “Good night.”

“Ummm Jen…” Chaeyoung grabs Jennie’s hand back. “Ummm… Lisa’s over at Joy unnie’s room so do you mind if you keep me company?”

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

It’s a wonder how Jennie was able to get a hold of her emotions and just able to smile “Yes sure.”

But all of Jennie’s erted thoughts just jump off the window as she saw Chaeyoung’s room. The candlelight dinner prepared right in front of her sort of knock Jennie in the head to remind her that it wasn’t just physical or ual attraction that she
likes about Chaeyoung, she really loves the girl.

Chaeyoung smile nervously wondering if the candle light dinner she prepared for Jennie could make up for things and hopefully prove to Jennie that she loves her.

Chaeyoung wonders why she felt so nervous when she kissed Jennie’s lips. “Happy Monthsary.”

“Chaeyoung… I…”

“No Jen” Chaeyoung lays her lips on Jennie and closes her eyes “Here you are showing me everyday how much you love me but I never felt like I did anything special for you. For once I want to
make you feel like how you make me feel.”

Jennie smiles and lingers in Chaeyoung’s embrace “You do, Chaeyoung. When I wake up to your good morning my love text, or when I walk you to your dorm room at night and how we still talk on
the phone even if we're practically together the whole day. Even if I had the crappiest day which is pretty much everyday, one kiss and one text from you can make it the best day of my life. So, don’t you ever think that you don’t make me feel special because every night I may not pray a lot but I always thank God for you”

And Chaeyoung smile at Jennie’s confession. Some people wonder of all the people chasing after her, why did she choose DumbJen?

And she never answers them because if people sees Jennie the way she does, she knows they’ll fall for her too.

*

Seulgi is in one of her emo mode and is walking around the university grounds. When she stumbles on the infamous confession bench but instead of finding the usual culprit napping there, she was surprise to find it vacant.

“Hmmm… I wonder where Hyunnie is?”
Seulgi sits down on the bench and a weird feeling suddenly dawned on her, sitting by herself made her feel lonely.

“Seulgi?”
“Hyunnie… I was wondering where you were."

Irene could only scoff “Oh, I’m always here Seulgi,
Always” Seulgi frowns at the sarcastic tone in Irene’s voice “I might be late or sometimes early but I’m always here… ALWAYS, you’re just much of a to notice that.”

“Hey!” Seulgi stands up, she doesn’t like it when people call her names, especially if it’s someone like Irene. “Why are you always so mean to me? What did I ever do to you?”

“Nothing Seulgi. Absolutely Nothing.”
Irene sits down and sighs heavily. She really has no right to get mad at the girl, Seulgi was just hopelessly and blindly in love with someone who has no feelings for her just like her.

When Seulgi sees the distress look in Jessica’s face, she sits back down.

“Look… Hyunnie, if something is bothering you can tell me, I might not give you the best advice but I’m a pretty damn good listener. And sometimes isn’t that what we need? Just someone to listens to us?”

Irene pauses for a bit before finally talking. “I have this friend.”

Seulgi swallows hard after hearing Irene’s first line. She knew that lie perfectly well, she uses it all the time, but does it mean Irene does it too?

“She’s just so mad at herself cause she always tell herself, that’s it, I’m moving on, I can’t keep on waiting for nothing anymore but just when she’s about to move on something keeps on pulling her back. She’s so mad how the only thing that matter to her was the happiness of that person even if it
meant that they’re not going to be together.”

After Seulgi heard Irene’s story, she couldn’t help to
curse herself. Here she was thinking that she loved Wendy yet
she can’t even think of what could make  Wendy happy. Her jealousy and possessiveness always ends up with her doing some crazy antics which results in epic fails.

“So, Seulgi? What do you think my friend should do?”

“Tell your friend that she needs to tell that person…”

“I don’t want to get hurt…” Irene didn’t even realize the slip of the tongue but Seulgi heard it perfectly.

“It’ll only get worse if you hide it.”

Irene scoffs and turns toward Seulgi “Well, I guess you’re just worth the hurt, midget.”

“What?”

“I don’t know what you’re going to say or how you’re going to act about this but I think you should know.”
A mountain of confusion was starting to pile up in Seulgi’s head, where on Earth is Irene trying to go with this? “Know
what?”

It was now or never…

“That Kang Seulgi, I’m that stupid idiot that fell in love with
you.”